• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1659

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a spin-off of my other comment I asked the other day about how much money it would take for you to withdraw from the hobby entirely. Most people (surprisingly) said no amount of money was worth dropping the hobby so this is kind of another thought experiment. You're given lifetime changing money, you no longer have to work and if you're in school you can drop out or major in something you really enjoy and not worry about the financial implications of it anymore. You can set up your family and love ones for the rest of their lives and still have money left over to take care of yourself. You can also start new hobbies you always wanted to do but lacked the money to do so, maybe you wanna learn to fly planes or skydive or travel or whatever. Now you got it.

In the short, medium and long term how does this affect the amount of time you spend on games (if any)? I was thinking of this the other day myself and I would almost certainly be spending much less time on games if I found myself in this situation in the short, medium and long term.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Not having to work, or maintain the house, or talk to my wife ever again? Of course I'd finally have the time to play some games.

SodapopVII

Oct 27, 2017
I would spend less time playing games but would buy a property and then invest some of that money in to making my own story and game. So I would still be spending a lot of time with the hobby one way or another! I think telling a story and having people talk about your work for better or worse is more fulfilling than any car or holiday could be.

Drelkag

Oct 25, 2017
Probably increase. I'd put all the time working/studying aside, travel for a bit, but spend a lot of time enjoying my favorite hobby.

I'm lucky if I can get 20 hours a week as is - mostly on weekends.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
It would most likely decrease the time im playing video games because i would travel around the world a lot.

Well with that you could say the handheld playtime would increase.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
It'd probably be about the same to be honest.

The amount of time I spend gaming isn't necessarily effected by work. So instead of work, I'd probably just be doing other stuff.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Dramatic decrease as I haul off doing a bunch of shit I want to do followed by a dramatic increase.

BitByDeath

User banned at own request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want to say stay the same but leaning more towards decrease as I'd probably go start my own business/venture.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
Decrease. I would find some rich people hobbies, like buying islands and shit

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
Hard to say. A lot of times, I play games as an escape from the stress in my life. If that stress were massively reduced, my habits might change. Other, more expensive pastimes would become feasible as well.

Rob2K19

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd say increase when I'm at home and decrease when I'm on the go.

Note: Haven't played on the go in years.

JNH

Oct 27, 2017
France
Definitively decrease.
I already have a lot of free time and play a lot. With a lot of mony I'd travel and try other hobbies I can't afford today.

element

Oct 27, 2017
Decrease. I'd be living life. Travel. See people. Get out. Do hobbies that I don't do because they cost more money.

SaberX85

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely increasing, can buy all games, can buy all gadgets, and i hate traveling.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I already essentially live the life I want to live. More money would just remove obligations and give me more time. I would definitely game more. I would do everything that I enjoy more.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Increase. I'm pretty sure with more time on my hands, and no worries. I could go from maybe 2hrs, if I'm lucky, a week of gaming to a solid 3 hours a week. Haha

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Drastically increase. With that much money, I'd work on my own pet projects when I wanted and likely play a fuckload of games during the day.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
hmmm I want to say it wouldn't be affected.. but I would probably establish a studio of my own to MAKE games ... so I imagine a lot of my time would be tied up in that... so It may have an impact on how much I play. Maybe I'd buy a studio instead.

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Decrease because I'd use the money to travel, and create more high concept art. But I'd still make time to play games, it just wouldn't be as often

Goskarrr

Oct 27, 2017
Increase, I would probably work half days to stay productive and dedicate the rest on my neglected hobbies, games included.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1659

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda funny how many people here have said they would decrease the amount of time they spend on games but in the other thread, the vast majority said that no amount of money was worth reducing their game time to 0.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
Periods where it'd increase, periods where it decrease.

Would probably go traveling first with the money. Could theoretically take my Switch and my Macbook with me an play something but I don't like doing that when I'm in another country. Then there will be days when I'm bored in my house that I bought with the money and just play something.

Would definitely increase the amount of games I impuls-buy.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At first decrease, as I go on holidays etc. But over time I guess you'd end up with more free time on your hands with no work etc.

Well, at least I wouldn't work except in some hobby capacity.

Goose Se7en

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Drastically decrease, I'd travel everywhere

Same. After getting settled and becoming use to my new reality I would travel everywhere I have always wanted to go to. I'd rent a van and during the baseball season make it a point to travel and experience a MLB game at every MLB ballpark.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Significantly decrease gaming time. There are lots of other hobbies that I would want to pursue once freed from the burden of having to work for a living.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
Drastically decrease overall, but increase Switch play because I would travel all over the place and play things over long flights.

geo

Oct 25, 2017
Hyrule
Likely decrease initially while i get my finances in order and take extra measures to protect my identity and ensure my family is sated with trust funds and shit.

Then once I settle in to my new house, it'd likely increase since i'd stop working - but over time I'm sure I'd get bored of it and find new passions in life to distract myself with.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Dunno. I'd be investing in a studio if I won that, and music production would be a time sink. I'd probably continue and work for Inverted Audio full time, as it would be wonderful to give my all to it as a passion thing, rather than something I have to cram into the cracks of life where nothing else is going on.

galvatron

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, TX
I'd be gaming in the Bahamas:)

Amafi Coast for me, most likely. I like games and they're not a consolation prize for not doing other things I'd like to do in life...if anything, work fits that description.

Sure, I'd travel more, but I do travel at least once a year...All that free time would probably get me in phenomenal shape since I wouldn't have to worry about fitting in work out time or cooking healthy food myself.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Increase, but I wouldn't play them. Too busy posting online and doing fun things with my money like traveling and wasting it on gacha games.

So the same as what I do now.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Increase, buy myself an IMAX private theatre and play games on that. I'd also start a studio and make my own games. But probably decrease in the short term, lots of traveling and other stuff to do first.

vacantseas

Oct 27, 2017
Decrease or stay the same. Wouldn't really need to work anymore, but I'd probably be traveling a whole lot more.