• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Meeru

Alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Winning $100 million would decrease my gaming..actually I havent played any games lately. I rather explore the world and visit countries.

Blargu

Oct 28, 2017
I imagine it would be similar to now at least over the long term. I tend to go through phases of heavy gaming followed by barely gaming at all so even if I stopped for a while it would be part of the normal cycle.

Usul

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Dune
Roughly the same, the hours traveling would just replace the hours working. Although when the traveling is done over the course of 5-10 years then...

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Like many, I expect traveling would cut into my gaming time some - but possibly not much. I expect I'd also be somewhat more engaged in professional activities that excite me and would more frequently spill over into game time. Right now I'm gaming most evenings for stress relief as much as anything, and that would switch to 100% leisure. I might binge a little more with longer periods in between.

Hard to say until it happens, though, so I'm fine with the experiment.

Deleted member 26104

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Probably decrease pretty significantly because I'd be travelling and doing things a lot more of the time, and would have infinite amounts of other fun toys/cars/tech to play with.

Sledge

Oct 28, 2017
Decrease. I'd travel like most others have said.

I'd probably do a lot of it mid year though so my gaming time wouldn't decrease as much as expected.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I think it would increase. I'd be a lot more content, would probably be happier and would want to game more than I do now because of those things. I'd be able to enjoy life more.

Although I hate traveling (airports, planes, stress, customs) I'd definitely have to see the world, but would still be a homebody at heart.

Masaru

Oct 28, 2017
I'd say it'll increase quite a bit though I won't be playing all day long.
There's a lot of things to learn and books to read.

foxbeldin

Oct 27, 2017
Increase by a wide margin. I'd set up a home theater with comfy seats, multiple side screens for local mp, audio jack and USB in armrests, 4 Xbx, 4 ps4, 4 switchs and 4 gaming pcs.

Then friends would come over and we'd eat pizza and game all day long.

_ID_

Oct 29, 2017
It would increase significantly as I currently only have an hour at the max per day. I'd immedially quit my job and travel the world with my family. Always with me: The Nintendo Switch. Imagine all those 15 hour flights with lots of playtime, or the time when my wife and children go to some wellness sessions... Yes, that would be my time for gaming.

Garf02

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
>get 100M
>Savings Bank account
>1% interest Rate
>1M yearly out of interest
I would never have to work in my life again, of course i would full dive into vidya

Winning $100m would mean I put most of that into developing games...
100M is like, 1 (ONE) maybe 2 AAA games. not counting in marketing

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
I would turn that 100 million into a hundred billion, and then systematically buy the rights to fund Half Life 3, Streets of Rage 4, Vanquish 2, and a handfull of other favorites, then I'd do some investing into hardware and software for Virtual worlds that are indistinguishable from reality, and possibly start a chain of arcades across the nation that offer experiences most people can't get at home.

So to answer the question, probably more in my case I guess.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Initially, likely decrease. I'd be travelling everywhere I'd want to. After that period (however long it may be), assuming I lost interest in getting any sort of job, then yeah that + media consumption in general would likely increase for me.

That said, even while travelling, having a Switch would allow one to not really stop gaming.

Yoshi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
No change at all. Well, maybe a slight uptick should I use some of the money to fund development of a game I really want to play, but that's nothing permanent (and very challenging 3D collectathon platformer does not strike me as something I will make a lot of money back on, so it would be a one time thing).

Oct 26, 2017
Essex
Initially it would decrease it, there would be so many things I would want to do with my life. After I'd done that I guess it would increase as the day to day doldrums set in without needing to work.

KonradLaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Increase, at least overall. I would have more days without gaming (trips and vacations), but during the days I would be home I would likely put multiple hours a day for weeks :D

VinceK

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh for me it would increase alot that is of course after I spent some of that money bettering health taking care of family and friends. But after that nothing but game-a-thons all the time in a special gaming room.

d00d3n

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
The time would be increased somewhat. I would continue working as an MD, but I am not sure I would accept my current level of on call overtime/research commitments. That would free up some time for gaming.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
Increase, I wouldn't have to work for the rest of my life, no matter where I go or what I do there's gonna be always time for gaming with my Switch

Seep

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Probably never play games ever again. So many places to visit, fancy cars private island in the sun what more could a person want.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
It would increase to the level I would play at when I was in my late teens and didn't always have to worry about being up at 6:30 in the morning to go to work. I love to travel, but I can always find time to play games.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think it'd probably experience a sharp decrease for a while and then slowly probably return to near-previous levels. The money would offer new opportunities, and for a while I think I'd be gung ho about experiencing them, but eventually I'd probably return to previous (current) habits.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Increase, but not dramatically as It went down already on it's own over the years due to other stuff occupying my free time. I'd put more time into that than into gaming. I always played as along as I had fun and as I was comfortable with the experience and usually the length of that time is shorter than the overall amount of free time I am dedicating to playing games already, on a daily basis. I was never really restricted much in that regard.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Significantly increase. Like, being fully honest, there's so much stuff I'd love to buy, if only I could. Like a Switch and Odyssey, for instance--I would love to be able to buy and play that. It looks so good. Just so damn good, and I would be hype as fuck to play through every bit of it myself despite having watched three different people on Twitch either 100% the game or get pretty damn close (AdmiralBahroo/iateyourpie/FlareRDB). Like, I know for some people that would kill their interest to play it themselves, but for me, with Odyssey, it's only made me wish I could play it more.

But between university and then finishing it and being unable to find a job and stuff, I just have absolutely no money for it. Haven't actually bought a new game in like over a year at this point (probably a bit more--think the last thing I did buy for myself was Xenoblade Chronciles X on the Wii U). On the contrary, sold all my consoles and games last year during my last semester at uni just so I would have money for other stuff. Have just been using Twitch as a complete substitute since then since I absolutely cannot justify the cost of buying games, nevermind consoles.

So since the primary reason for all that is financial, something like this happening would definitely change a lot for me. I'd love to buy back some of my faves like Xenoblade, The World Ends With You, Kid Icarus Uprising, Pokemon BW2, Tropical Freeze, the Galaxies, 3D World, etc, and all the systems to play them, along with brand new stuff like Super Mario Odyssey and Pokemon Ultra Sun & Moon, and stuff like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, which looks slick as fuck to me, especially since I never got to play the original Mario Kart 8 period, nevermind the DLC packs of courses. And if I had the money for it, I'd love to buy all kinds of Amiibos and stuff and so much stuff on pokemoncenter.com because I do love that kinda stuff as well even if a lot of it can get kinda silly and overboard at times and would love to show my support would my beloved franchises and stuff by buying a lot of that kinda thing, if only I could.

So if I actually had the kinda of money where I could justify buying game consoles and AAA games like that again? Hell yeah, I'd do it in a heartbeat and play the fuck out of them! Especially since just as it is I feel like I'm a pirate or something, just watching people play the stuff I want to play and falling in love with those games and not being able to support the people making that stuff. I know it's silly, hating myself over things I can't control like that, but it really makes me feel bad and like I am stealing from the devs and I'd love to be able to make that right, but I just can't justify that right now.

But the TL;DR version is it would definitely increase the time I spend playing games, since the current amount of time I spend actually playing them myself is zero and I'd love nothing more than to change that, but alas... :( I mean, hopefully my situation changes soon, but I just ain't optimistic at all at the moment and just... bleh. :(

Last edited:

Deleted member 11290

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd travel with a backpack full of Switches so I'd not run out of battery for a long time.

Seriously, I think my gaming time would probably increase, but I've other hobbies that would take some of my time too.

Amiibola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It would increase it, actually, since it would allow me to get all those systems and games i want to play, and those i was forced to sell. Also, I'd buy a whole new PC, wich would mean hours and hours of experiments

I don't game because i can't afford other hobbies, i game because it is my hobby and i spend money on it. More money means more games.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
>get 100M
>Savings Bank account
>1% interest Rate
>1M yearly out of interest
I would never have to work in my life again, of course i would full dive into vidya

100M is like, 1 (ONE) maybe 2 AAA games. not counting in marketing

I know. The project I'm working on now would have an ideal budget at around $20-30m, because it's not a full AAA title. We're hoping to find someone who will fund us for around $800k. I'm assisting on another, even smaller project--like a walking sim, if walking sims were good--which could be done with a much, much smaller team for far less.

I want to make lots of different games. That includes some incredibly small things. Right now, I'm downing advil, hoping the rest of my Patreon funds come through so I can eat more than chips tomorrow. A hundred million would be plenty.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
Dramatically increase. Gaming isn't there because it's close and varies on time commitment. It's there because I love it and enjoy it immensely. Would it be all I do? No, of course not. But it would be pretty high up there.

Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France
Would buy every console, a nice 4k TV HDR / Atmos set, every game possible... but beyond that I'll definitely play less because I'll be able to do so much more activities instead.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Increase. Between employment and chores, and getting a personal trainer, and not having to worry about being smart about money...

Rectangle

Oct 25, 2017
Increase probably. Even with travelling and such, a daily routine of doing something would still need to be in place - and I imagine playing games would contribute to that probably.

Hellsing

Oct 25, 2017
Increase. Would have a ton more free time and I don't particularly like traveling or going out much.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Increase, but pretty much everything in life I enjoy would be increased if I suddenly had an extra 8 hours a day free and unlimited money

Oct 25, 2017
Increase. The extra money would allow me to travel around the world, tap into my creative outlets more and make some fun investments but the time spent doing that would be nothing compared to the 40-60 hours a week at my job. Aside from the actual time spent working, jobs can be draining on your personal life and other activities. There are plenty of nights where I could have time to game but I simply choose not to because I'm so tired from work.