• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it would be cool but it seems like too much work and you're expected to dress and act too conservatively in public for my tastes

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I do commercial litigation. So there is virtually no exposure to criminal law outside of pro bono. However, everyone is entitled their day in court and fair representation. I have no qualms about what I do. Although I don't love the profession.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
No, but mostly because it seems exhausting both mentally and emotionally. Most people in the legal profession I've talked to are very smart and cool but pretty unhappy

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Nope.

But mostly because of the amount of paper work and law knowledge that is recquired to do the job. And also because it recquires to speak to people you don't know and othen in public. Otherwise i wouldn't have minded.

Lawyers don't necessarily defend bad people you know ? A bunch of them dearly care about right and wrong and refuse to defend some people if they don't feel them. Others are assholes who would defend anything, obviously. But that's what humanity is : there's good people, and there's bad people. A job's just a job.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
I once read a great article about the institutional role of criminal defence lawyers. Basically, the prosecution has the weight of the resources of the state and the mindset that "well, if the police think he's guilty then he must be guilty!" on their side, where as the defence often has but a single lawyer.

Criminal defence is an important job. They keep the criminal justice system accountable in a very literal way by trying to point out every mistake that was made and forcing the government to account for it. It actually has very little to do with the guilt or innocence of your client, because everyone is entitled to their rights. People often talk about lawyers getting people off on technicalities, but they're not technicalities: They're mistakes, and the only way to ensure they don't happen again is for there to be consequences for making them. Caring only about innocence or guilt is skipping right to the ending without caring how you got there. It's being permissive of any behavior that comes in between.

I'm trying to be a criminal defence lawyer and I hear the "how can you defend guilty people" near daily, including from lawyers.

Pollux

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am a lawyer, and formerly a prosecutor, so yeah. And I will continue to be a lawyer. But fuck ever going to Big Law. Too many friends that have done it and are absolutely miserable.

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
FlorianĂłpolis, Brazil
I started as a lawyer 16 yeas ago and am now a state judge.

There are some posts here that are excellent: like Fugu's, Senator Toadstool's, Brandson's, BossAttack's and others.

Your job is not to prove them innocent, but to assure a fair trial is conducted. Indicteds have rights - actually, more the rights, they have constitutional guarantees - that must be followed, otherwise the system and society is failing them.

There are laws against police brutality, evidence faking, illegal tapping, partisan judges/prosecutors/criminal experts/judiciary auxiliaries. There are deadlines to be followed, specially if the defendant is already in jail temporarily or preventively. There are laws that govern the execution of the sentence, things like guaranteeing at least a minimum standard of decency for the inmates and so on.

So even if you're restricting your post to basic criminal defense like raping and murdering and arsoning and so on - and you should not, since there's a bunch of other branches of Law that involve criminals like tax and tribute, environmental protection, child/infancy - there's a decent and honorable job to be done by laywers.

As of me, I love to be a judge and shoot for the usually unattainable goal of seeking pure justice. It's tough, it puts a strain on me and my family for sure, it's hard working , it's with me all the times, but it is very rewarding mentally and financially , not gonna lie.

Anyway, sorry English is not my first language , so I may have said something obviously lost in translation.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
it would be cool but it seems like too much work and you're expected to dress and act too conservatively in public for my tastes

Practicing law is definitely hard work and pressure, no matter what part of the legal field you are in. You are a professional and people rely on your decisions and ability. It's not 24/7 stress, but you need to be on your game most of the time. No one goes into law thinking it's going to be an easy way to make bank.

Some jobs in law are more conservative, but i'm working in my office in jeans and a t-shirt. Based on the comments, people don't realize that legal jobs take many different forms.

We also have a lawyer OT in hangouts if anyone wants to ask questions.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-law-school-and-lawyer-era.2930/

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. I don't enjoy the idea of convincing a judge to interpret the law to reach a verdict of my client's defense or accusation. To me the Justice System isn't fair, it's how much money you have to back your research, investigation, and or fabrication of lies to uphold to your client's interest. All while maintaining confidence and willing to risk someone's livelihood in my hands regardless if they are guilty, not guilty, good or bad person.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
Lawyer with no interest in criminal law. I just hate going to court. Theres tons of legal jobs out there beyond criminal.

I feel more annoyed when I have to help corporations. But it has given me real insight into corporate America. The tl:rd is that they don't see themselves as bad guys, just people doing their jobs. There is no vast capitalist conspiracy, just corporations that are stuck in their own silo and rarely think beyond their area expertise.

Although one corporation ran its Sales department like a cult. I swear they were one step away from whipping themselves as self-mortification, medieval monk style.

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm on my way to becoming a patent attorney and I'll work for big pharma, that's probably also something you wouldn't be able to live with OP. But I will be happy doing it

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've always wondered how some lawyers can live with themselves. Defending someone who you know is guilty seems like a very soul crushing job, I mean money is super important in this world and all but defending someone who is blatantly guilty is one of the few things you can't pay me enough to do (heavy crimes like murder, child cases, etc).
It absolutely is necessary. Every defendant has Constitutional Rights and the State has to prove their case by the book.

For ex: There's a multiple murder case (I forget where) that's making the news, and the defendant has been tried 6x with no Black jurors ever. If he did it, he should burn but at the same time this is a gross and frightening display of racism and a Constitutional violation. I would never defend him but I'm glad someone is.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't realise we had so many lawyers on here lol

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who is leaving the legal field after 12 years as not a lawyer, fuck no. It's miserable.

Ethics aside, the workload is just too much.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought I was going to be a lawyer. Likely in criminal or international law. After seeing my friends struggle to find jobs and the enormous financial burden of schooling, I opted for a different career. Perhaps in another life.
You aren't missing much. The student debt is stupid lol, there's more lawyers than jobs, and the racism is another silly hurdle. Only good out of it is I met my wife, otherwise I'd go back to my school and plant roach eggs and mice throughout the building every year.
Current prosecutor, former criminal defense here. I feel far more morally compromised as a prosecutor.
Lol so everything Netflix documentaries says about y'all is true.
I started as a lawyer 16 yeas ago and am now a state judge.

There are some posts here that are excellent: like Fugu's, Senator Toadstool's, Brandson's, BossAttack's and others.

Your job is not to prove them innocent, but to assure a fair trial is conducted. Indicteds have rights - actually, more the rights, they have constitutional guarantees - that must be followed, otherwise the system and society is failing them.

There are laws against police brutality, evidence faking, illegal tapping, partisan judges/prosecutors/criminal experts/judiciary auxiliaries. There are deadlines to be followed, specially if the defendant is already in jail temporarily or preventively. There are laws that govern the execution of the sentence, things like guaranteeing at least a minimum standard of decency for the inmates and so on.

So even if you're restricting your post to basic criminal defense like raping and murdering and arsoning and so on - and you should not, since there's a bunch of other branches of Law that involve criminals like tax and tribute, environmental protection, child/infancy - there's a decent and honorable job to be done by laywers.

As of me, I love to be a judge and shoot for the usually unattainable goal of seeking pure justice. It's tough, it puts a strain on me and my family for sure, it's hard working , it's with me all the times, but it is very rewarding mentally and financially , not gonna lie.

Anyway, sorry English is not my first language , so I may have said something obviously lost in translation.
Damn son we got judges up in here? Lol. Congrats!
Legal training and practice also just opens the door to a whole lot of other industries.

I work in public policy, and like 30% of us are ex lawyers
What is your general job title? I want to get out of law within 5 years myself.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Lol so everything Netflix documentaries says about y'all is true.

It's not nearly that bad at my office, but I know those sorts of offices are still pretty common. I'm lucky in that I'm dealing with DWI/DUI cases, Thefts, Disorderly Conducts, and first-time Domestics. Our cops don't typically behave badly in those situations, and we're rarely looking at jail time. Instead we focus on rehabilition, restitution, and fines/community service.

The moral quandary is more "Is this rehabilitation working?" or "What should we be doing differently?" when there is a new offense. Stuff I didn't need to care about as a defense attorney because the big goal there was doing my best to protect the rights of my client.

I still think the best representation of the flaws and functions most prosecutor offices face is Serial Season 3, Episode 5.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not nearly that bad at my office, but I know those sorts of offices are still pretty common. I'm lucky in that I'm dealing with DWI/DUI cases, Thefts, Disorderly Conducts, and first-time Domestics. Our cops don't typically behave badly in those situations, and we're rarely looking at jail time. Instead we focus on rehabilition, restitution, and fines/community service.

The moral quandary is more "Is this rehabilitation working?" or "What should we be doing differently?" when there is a new offense. Stuff I didn't need to care about as a defense attorney because the big goal there was doing my best to protect the rights of my client.

I still think the best representation of the flaws and functions most prosecutor offices face is Serial Season 3, Episode 5.

As someone who has had to deal with the DA as a victim of a crime I'd say most ADAs are pretty honorable people and most of the bad DA stuff comes from the top where the DA breeds a horrible culture, mismanaged, or subjects his staff to political pressure

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who has had to deal with the DA as a victim of a crime I'd say most ADAs are pretty honorable people and most of the bad DA stuff comes from the top where the DA breeds a horrible culture, mismanaged, or subjects his staff to political pressure
I've met some power-hungry assholes at the low levels in my time too. But, I will say, it's not an easy job, and, given the freedom the job allows in terms of charging, sentencing, and policy-crafting, even the best intentioned prosecutors will still fuck shit up. It's just inevitable right now.

Edit: also I'm glad to hear you've had that experience with your DA. Many offices are still trying to figure out how to get their relationships with their victims right so it's good to know that your office is trying.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Studying Law at uni, and want to practice criminal law. I don't know about you but I believe in innocent until proven guilty.

Oct 26, 2017
The one piece of advice I've been given about becoming a lawyer is to not go into criminal law

However, imagine a system where those accused got no representation? Even when it's painfully obvious someone has committed a crime, their defense is critical to ensure we do not have an absolute dogshit system

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I'd have a much harder time being a prosecutor/state's attorney staring at someone brought to trial, who I believe in my heart to be completely innocent. How the fuck do you carry out that case?

But yeah that's why I completely wrote off criminal law when I was in like elementary school. I couldn't handle either side of the aisle.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who is leaving the legal field after 12 years as not a lawyer, fuck no. It's miserable.

Ethics aside, the workload is just too much.
Go into a niche solo legal practice (transactional, preferably) like me. Workload isn't very much at all. Live in a developing country and work remotely, and offload student loans to IBR. Profit!
Or leave the field. What's your plan for the next step?

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Go into a niche solo legal practice (transactional, preferably) like me. Workload isn't very much at all. Live in a developing country and work remotely, and offload student loans to IBR. Profit!
Or leave the field. What's your plan for the next step?

I'm really lucky in that I basically got offered my dream job. It pays a little less but I will work remotely, do what I love after having it be my "side job" for the past seven years, and just cut out so much frigging stress from my life. It's gonna be sweet. I'll miss the high pay a little but I sure as hell won't miss everything else.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really lucky in that I basically got offered my dream job. It pays a little less but I will work remotely, do what I love after having it be my "side job" for the past seven years, and just cut out so much frigging stress from my life. It's gonna be sweet. I'll miss the high pay a little but I sure as hell won't miss everything else.
That's awesome, man.
I've contemplated trying to go in-house in a game company, but the freedom I have now in solo practice is just too much for me to give up (unless the money is REALLY good, which would be unrealistic to expect).