• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
pnUaSvd.jpg

Recently I've been playing a lot of Sonic games, something that was brought on by replaying Sonic Rush. Playing though these games also reminded me just how long it has been since games like the Sonic Rush series and the Sonic Advanced series came out. Advanced was 2001-2004 and Rush was 2005-2007. With 2D Sonic back on the mind with the success of Sonic Mania, wouldn't you say it's time for a comeback?

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

The Sonic Advance and Rush games were developed by Dimps and Sonic Team and played as 2D platformers much like the original Sonic titles. While you don't have a perfect one-to-one recreation of the original games physics here like Sonic Mania, these games excelled in their own areas. The Advanced games expanded the 2D Sonic cast with the likes of Amy and Cream and even experimented with unique systems like doing tricks. The Rush games introduced the Boost mechanic which allows you to blaze (haha!) through levels at top speed via a meter that fills as you perform well and depletes as you do poorly or use the boost.

Going forward with Sonic, I would love to see more takes on the 2D approach. These games have their own flavor for the classic Sonic formula. It would be great to have new 2D titles developed by other teams to go along with Sonic Mania. I personally would love another Sonic Rush title! More than anything though, I really would like a new way to play these games with an updated port. Games like Sonic 1 and 2 get tons of re-releases but it feels like the Advance and Rush games are becoming a forgotten moment in Sonic's history.

Please show me your love for these games!

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
As long as they bring back the composer from Rush hell to the yes

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, and while we're at, put Blaze the Cat in more games. She was one of the best new characters to come from the franchise in almost a decade and her gameplay was actually fun in Sonic 06. It's a shame she came so close to when SEGA pretty much banned side characters from the franchise.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I don't see why I would be against games being more accessible.

The Rush games especially are fantastic and kept the IP from being a total wash during the mid-late 2000s.

EDIT: Oh, new games. Yes, I'll take a Rush 3 to go, please.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I've been waiting for Sonic Rush 3 for over a decade.

No, Sonic Colors DS doesn't count.

sugar bear

Oct 27, 2017
Sonic Rush was dynamite, one of the first games I got when I purchased my DS at the beginning of 2006. Makes good use of both screens.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yes would love that as well as the Christian Whitehead Sonic versions.

Kid Heart

Oct 25, 2017
Both Cream and Blaze debuted in these games, and considering they still regularly show up today, I find it weird there hasn't been any sort of re releases for them. Especially since most of these games were pretty well receieved.

Personally, I would love a new advance game. The fantastic sprite work, ability to play as multiple characters, and the high speed game play, made it a really fun series of games.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I never played Sonic Rush for some reason, but did play all the Advance games and Rush 2 (the island one).

The Advance series is surprisingly overlooked, all the games had something cool about them and they all mostly got the physics right.
Advance 1 was pretty much Sonic 4 for fans back then. It added Amy as a 4th playable character and she played completely different. It was neat.
2 and 3 had issues here and there, but both were still decent at their worst. I think I actually put the most hours in Advance 2 learning the optimal routes in stages to unlock Amy (she played like Sonic in this one though).

The level design was probably the worst thing about the Dimps games, there were bottomless pits everywhere. Every stage.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
New games? Ehh, I liked Sonic Advance 1 alright, but the boost formula that was applied to the rest of the handheld games were such a turnoff for me. Plus, I don't think Sega wants to commission Dimps anymore after Sonic 4.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
The Advance series isn't great as a whole, but they're decent enough that they don't deserve to be wholly lost to time. The Rush games are actually solid, and I'd love to see what an HD 2D boost game could be, especially since it seems unlikely that they're going to revisit the formula in 3D again after Forces made a mess of it.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Make it like the Megaman ports where you can disable botomless pits

Put the CD Rush OST

Release them in a collection

I'll pay

OP
OP
SmokedSalmon

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
Make it like the Megaman ports where you can disable botomless pits

I had never even considered such a possibility. Some of the pits, particularly the ones during rocket/rocket-platform segments that have the laser beams on the bottom of the screen, might be hard to fix. It's possible though.

Plus, I don't think Sega wants to commission Dimps anymore after Sonic 4.

Dimps still helped out with portable versions of Sonic games even after Sonic 4. I don't really think the games have to be made by Dimps though.

I'd love a new game in the style of Rush; those two titles were my favs on DS. Soundtracks are still bangin
Two of my favorites too!

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. These were mostly great games. They were nice to have during a time where the home console games started to lose it.

These days we barely get anything. Their output has certainly slowed down. I would love something like this to tide us over.