Are you looking forward to Jonathan Blows next game?

• Yes

Votes: 75 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 232 75.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
So we all know what kind of views Jonathan Blow has. The typical right-wing looney with Gamergate views, against "cancel culture" and whatnot.

But he made 2 really good games.
Braid, one of the first bigger indiegames, with a cool twist at the end.

And The Witness, a really really well made puzzle game with some sort of special atmosphere and artstyle:

apps.63174.63375690896272889.656d8032-d309-4bcf-a394-d2ca7e27f954.2739cd18-0cf3-4ef7-9b1b-0016406ae92c

the-witness-puzzle.jpg

So I wonder how many people are excited for a new game by Jonathan Blow, despite knowing the developer himself is an asshat.
I can only talk for me but I am still really excited for his next game.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
The witness is one of my all time favorite games, a masterpiece of games design. So yes I would still be very curious about what he would do next

r_rose

Mar 1, 2022
Unfortunately yes, I would be excited. The Witness is one of my favorite games.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know that I would be excited, but if I played it, I'm sure I'd like it. The Witness is a masterpiece.

such a shame that he's a piece of shit.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
The witness was good, braid sucked. Sure I'll take a gander even if I don't share his ideology.

Temperance

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
As far as anyone knows he peaked with The Witness, anything he ever makes might not ever surpass it. Excitement be tempered.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I would have very conflicted feelings about it, because I really enjoyed the time I spent with The Witness.
I'd probably wait until it showed up in a bundle where you could set the split, or was given away on Amazon/EGS.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
1. The world is too rich with interesting art by actual thoughtful and well-meaning creators to waste my limited minutes on this earth playing games by known dickheads.

2. As much as we all wish it wasn't this way, giving people money helps to maintain or build a platform for them, so if I paid for anything he worked on, I would be complicit in the reach of his harmful and moronic views.

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. I'm not going to directly support dipshit anti-science misogynists like him. Plenty of other talented indie devs out there more deserving of my money.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Don't like Jonathan Blow one bit and The Witness was one of most overrated games I've ever played so I don't exactly have a soft spot for his products either.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
No. His games are fully up his own ass to begin with, so it's extremely hard to separate his views from his games and I expect they'd be intrinsically linked in whatever he does release in the future.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The Witness is one of my favourite games but I have no interest in financially supporting him. There's plenty of other media that isn't created by known pieces of shit.

Plague-Doctor

Oct 23, 2023
Braid was interesting but I thought the Witness was very overrated and honestly kind of annoying to play. His name being attached to a game wouldn't really sway me in either direction, would all depend on how the game itself looks

Sep 22, 2019
i think of it like an rpg where you allocate stat points. his was max on game design and min on intelligence. it is what it is. im still gonna play his games

life is easier when you just assume the ppl with the very wrong politics are dumb ppl. i guess thats me being a bigot but...true i am a bigot

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The Witness was one of the most interesting and well designed games I've ever played. But I'm out, unless he openly walks back some of his views/statements.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
There are too many talented people who aren't pieces of shit out there to waste time on those who are.

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Nah. He's a shithead, Braid is just ok and the Witness almost ruined my TV from burn in.

DinkyDev

The Movie Critic
Feb 5, 2021
Well he's making a Sokoban game at the moment, so you'd at least need to like those first.

(and personally, not a fan of his)

Kazhar

Feb 20, 2024
I loved the gameplay of The Witness but the game itself was a tad pretentious.
I'm not that surprised its creator was revealed to be an idiot.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I loved Braid, and I really enjoyed the Witness, one of the best puzzles games of all times. So yeah, sure. His views are dumb as fuck, but I don't need to like him to like his games.

Oct 27, 2017
And here's Blow complaining about Cancel Culture after some dude was uninvited to a conference for basically saying black people taking the knee during the national anthem "disgust me"

www.resetera.com

Jonathan Blow threatens to boycott conferences that "disinvite speaker[s] due to "cancel culture"-style pressure" [UPDATE: He's a COVID truther too]

https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Blow/status/1304892415744995329 https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Blow/status/1304897455163469825 This is in response to Robert C Martin (also known as Uncle Bob) being disinvited to a conference (who then made a whiny blog post about it here) because of his political...

Blow is a real stand-up guy. I'm sure he has some other hits too.

Bengraven