• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How would you like it to go?

• One unified YT/Twitch channel where we upload all of our content

Votes: 22 22.7%
  • unified YT/Twitch channel where collabs are uploaded, but solo content stays on individual channels

Votes: 19 19.6%
  • No unified YT/Twitch channel, everyone keeps their own channels and just communicate that way

Votes: 56 57.7%

• Total voters

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm down. The best projects are collaborations, so I'd definitely be interested. I'm a motion graphics designer as well, maybe we can create a RE look for the channel.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Can't you set up a main twitch channel, and then host the individual channels from there? Collaborations would be done through the main if so.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can't you set up a main twitch channel, and then host the individual channels from there? Collaborations would be done through the main if so.

Yeah, I'm thinking that's the best course of action. Have a main Twitch/YT channel where the collabs would be, but everyone would have their own channels for their solo content. I think that would allow people to avoid burnout by still being able to do their own stuff. Also, hopefully enough people would be involved that the workload isn't too hard on anyone, and that people can take breaks/work around their schedule instead of having to work their schedule around this.

However, the biggest issue I see with a unified collab channel is the question of who would run it/have control if it, I don't know what the best course of action would be for that.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I'm definitely interested in this endeavor and await to see if anything comes of it. I was thinking of streaming more often in 2019.

Vincent4756

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh. Nothing is worse then thinking you have a good stream going, only to find out when your done that:
1. No game audio came through.
2. Your mic is cutting out.
3. Halfway through your frames start to jitter.

Dont know what happened. But hey at least my tunes came through lol.

Wojo

Oct 28, 2017
Buffalo
I'd be interested! I really like the idea of a era centric twitch community. I think the best way would using the hosting system with Twitch off a main channel.

Deltadan

Oct 25, 2017
Hell i'd be game, I have been wanting to stream some SRPG's. The difficulty is in making them interesting for a viewing audience.

I would also be willing to collaborate with other people playing them.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm thinking that's the best course of action. Have a main Twitch/YT channel where the collabs would be, but everyone would have their own channels for their solo content. I think that would allow people to avoid burnout by still being able to do their own stuff. Also, hopefully enough people would be involved that the workload isn't too hard on anyone, and that people can take breaks/work around their schedule instead of having to work their schedule around this.

However, the biggest issue I see with a unified collab channel is the question of who would run it/have control if it, I don't know what the best course of action would be for that.
Only idea I got is to select a group of administrators that manage the main channel directly, by making sure a schedule is laid out and the proper channels are hosted at time.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Only idea I got is to select a group of administrators that manage the main channel directly, by making sure a schedule is laid out and the proper channels are hosted at time.

Sure, I think something of this calibre would need something like a Discord channel, or somewhere we can can try to discuss this. The most important thing though is that this shouldn't be a stressful thing, I want this to be fun for everyone involved. I myself am familiar with YouTube so I could maybe help with that, but my Twitch knowledge is much more limited.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Do you edit your videos? A lot of solo LPers i see tend to edit their videos down to the "best of" bits so, even if there was a lot of dead air during initial recording, the final product is never too quiet.

Though, editing like that only really works well for the LPs leaning more heavily on comedy or blind reactions, so it's not always a great solution.
Editing my playthroughs more is something I want to do next year for longer games.

TriGen

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely like the idea and would be down to be involved and help anyway I can.

I recently have started streaming games just for the heck of it. And I used to do some YT discussion vids about game news/rumors and such. So if there does end up being a community thing, whatever direction it may take, I could probably contribute a little.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, I think something of this calibre would need something like a Discord channel, or somewhere we can can try to discuss this. The most important thing though is that this shouldn't be a stressful thing, I want this to be fun for everyone involved. I myself am familiar with YouTube so I could maybe help with that, but my Twitch knowledge is much more limited.
Yeah, my bad, thought that was a given. Discord for admin, discord for the regular streamers, if the numbers would require it of course. And it looks like twitch hosting has a automatic feature, so barring scheduling snafus, it doesn't seem like it would require 24/7 maintenance.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well, I am going to sleep soon, but tomorrow morning I will come back here and check, and try to see if we can get this off the ground!

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Having been doing Let's Play things on and off for 8 years and streaming for 6, took a bit of a break due to some life things but getting back into it, there are some things I highly suggest with the concept. I love collabs and would like to help out, and the idea of connecting, collaborating, and the like is appealing, but this heavily risks having zero take-off and then slowly dying into obscurity. It's easy to get people to rally behind something in theory, but trickier to get longer term commitment. More so, while the base idea is appealing, I don't really understand right now the core idea behind this? Super Best Friends was a collab channel between a few friends who did co-commentary, they had chemistry, but there was never more than four of them and they had easy to identify personalities along with they all physically worked with each other which allowed some comradity to easily muster. It can be done online with the right comradeship, sure, but right now this just sounds at risk to be some self-promotion thing where everyone works seperately at their own things with no real sense of unionship or singular vision or identity which will die out in a couple months.

I'd love to work with some others, and I do think I can bring some small amount of exposure to this due to actually having a small-medium audience I've maintained for years. But I right now think there needs to be more commitment to a core vision, and working out the details and incentive. Which is tricky, in fact several facets of this are, but it's why you don't see this stuff pop up or take off very often.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
To follow with what Dusk is saying, chemistry and charisma are above all the most important things for a successful LP run, especially nowadays. Audiences want to watch people with strong personalities, unless you're going down an incredibly in-depth/informative route for your LPs, which is a very, very tough line to straddle.

Your best bet might be to try and dry run a video or two with some people and see if you find someone you click with, but it's going to be a tough sell for audiences to start following some strangers who themselves are strangers to each other covering games that everyone else is likely already covering.

You need a hook, and you need an x-factor.

Wojo

Oct 28, 2017
Buffalo
Also, I do quite a lot of late night streaming, since I'm an east coaster and I play WoW on a west coast server. Other than WoW though, I mostly stream single player games. I just happen to play them late at night most of the time too.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be streaming or recording myself since I'm incapable of providing any sort of commentary when I'm playing, but I'd definitely watch you folks!

DrewM1788

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Using software such as Streamlabs Chatbot, we can set up a host list with as many names as we'd like. Then we can choose if it goes through that list randomly or through the list from top to bottom. It'll only choose someone who is live of course. We can also set it either so that it only jumps to the next channel when the current hosted channel hours phone or so that it jumps to the next channel after a set time interval such as one hour. So that's one way to make this happen.

I will also agree with one of the comments earlier that GAF's Twitch feature is pretty neat. I've received many views through being featured there.

And lastly, I've been streaming for five years and I'm partnered on Twitch so if anyone has any questions or wants any advice, I'm happy to give my input for what it's worth.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
To follow with what Dusk is saying, chemistry and charisma are above all the most important things for a successful LP run, especially nowadays. Audiences want to watch people with strong personalities, unless you're going down an incredibly in-depth/informative route for your LPs, which is a very, very tough line to straddle.

Your best bet might be to try and dry run a video or two with some people and see if you find someone you click with, but it's going to be a tough sell for audiences to start following some strangers who themselves are strangers to each other covering games that everyone else is likely already covering.

That is definitely something to consider! I made a Discord server, I'll be sending out PMs to those who have shown interest, but I do think that it is important that we at least try to get to know each other first and see if we're even compatible before it gets too far.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I'm down for this,
I do thumbnails for a few friends if you guys want to hit me up in the DM go for it. I'd love to do a discord server for this.

DrewM1788

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
That is definitely something to consider! I made a Discord server, I'll be sending out PMs to those who have shown interest, but I do think that it is important that we at least try to get to know each other first and see if we're even compatible before it gets too far.

I remember there was a Resetera Streamer Discord already but it must have shut down. I'm interested in the new one.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
OK, so I decided that PMing everyone wasn't the best idea, considering Era's limitations on how often you can do so, as well as concerns of spam. So here is the invite to the server (I really got to go to sleep now!):
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm interested in redoing streams again. I too am a Zero Watch、so I'm just going to go on insane person commentary. Will start mid-January when I come back home from Japan.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

do u mean u gotta be loud and over the top like Markiplier and PDP type of people??

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
do u mean u gotta be loud and over the top like Markiplier and PDP type of people??
I'm pretty sure he's just pointing out that you need something unique that positively stands out and makes people want to watch you over a million other streamers, which is true. You don't have to be shrill and annoying, but you need personality and, well, chemistry and charisma. PlanetSmasher put it pretty well in his post actually, very on point.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure he's just pointing out that you need something unique that positively stands out and makes people want to watch you over a million other streamers, which is true. You don't have to be shrill and annoying, but you need personality and, well, chemistry and charisma. PlanetSmasher put it pretty well in his post actually, very on point.
Or you could be extremely knowledgable about the game(s) you're streaming.
Like information on the development, game secrets and such as a commentary basically.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
But can you be a low-volume or quiet type of person and still have chemistry & charisma?

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Theyre more loud than charismatic. Charisma can easily just be a tone to your voice that people can find attractive, or an entertaining personality, or even negatively can be something to mock.

Im interested and down but my personality and humor is a bit close to egoraptors, as is my gaming abilities, and ive seen the shit he gets, lol. Theres obviously positives to getting big, but theres the awful negatives too.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But can you be a low-volume or quiet type of person and still have chemistry & charisma?
I'm not sure if it qualifies but Vinesauce is a quiet stream compared to the shit you get on Twitch and it's pretty chill and fun.

I'm down for streaming, I've always liked talking while playing and having a good chill time.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if it qualifies but Vinesauce is a quiet stream compared to the shit you get on Twitch and it's pretty chill and fun.

I'm down for streaming, I've always liked talking while playing and having a good chill time.
Yeah, id consider Vinesauce to be pretty charismatic, though also overlaps pretty hard with ASMR imo, so it'd come down to comfort level with that

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having been doing Let's Play things on and off for 8 years and streaming for 6, took a bit of a break due to some life things but getting back into it, there are some things I highly suggest with the concept. I love collabs and would like to help out, and the idea of connecting, collaborating, and the like is appealing, but this heavily risks having zero take-off and then slowly dying into obscurity. It's easy to get people to rally behind something in theory, but trickier to get longer term commitment. More so, while the base idea is appealing, I don't really understand right now the core idea behind this? Super Best Friends was a collab channel between a few friends who did co-commentary, they had chemistry, but there was never more than four of them and they had easy to identify personalities along with they all physically worked with each other which allowed some comradity to easily muster. It can be done online with the right comradeship, sure, but right now this just sounds at risk to be some self-promotion thing where everyone works seperately at their own things with no real sense of unionship or singular vision or identity which will die out in a couple months.

I'd love to work with some others, and I do think I can bring some small amount of exposure to this due to actually having a small-medium audience I've maintained for years. But I right now think there needs to be more commitment to a core vision, and working out the details and incentive. Which is tricky, in fact several facets of this are, but it's why you don't see this stuff pop up or take off very often.
While I agree about the SBF stuff, I think its a good chance to start a neat little community, though yeah there meeds to be some concrete steps taken to avoid a self promotion ring and to actually work together.

Whatever people agree to work with though, im interested!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

A very quiet person is going to have a hard time attracting viewers unless they have a very particular hook for their LPs. That doesn't mean you need to be a screamer like those guys, of course. Just that people generally want to watch a streamer who has personality traits they can latch onto.

One of my favorite LPers has a very restrained tone of voice, but he very particularly chooses specific games that work well with his relatively calm delivery and plays them in a very in-depth and informative manner, which balances out the low energy by making the LPs more of an exploration of a game rather than just "shy, awkward person mumbling over Red Dead Redemption 2", for example.

The question you have to ask yourself when trying to launch a webshow, stream or podcast is this: "Why would anyone want to watch/listen to my show above all the other ones already out there?" If you don't have a good answer for that question, it's going to be a hard road.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I once wanted to do lets plays. Then I recorded myself talking and promptly threw the footage into fire after listening to it. Granted it was like 6 years ago but I really doubt I'd do better now. Still, good luck to all the brave ones willing to give it a go.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A very quiet person is going to have a hard time attracting viewers unless they have a very particular hook for their LPs. That doesn't mean you need to be a screamer like those guys, of course. Just that people generally want to watch a streamer who has personality traits they can latch onto.

One of my favorite LPers has a very restrained tone of voice, but he very particularly chooses specific games that work well with his relatively calm delivery and plays them in a very in-depth and informative manner, which balances out the low energy by making the LPs more of an exploration of a game rather than just "shy, awkward person mumbling over Red Dead Redemption 2", for example.

The question you have to ask yourself when trying to launch a webshow, stream or podcast is this: "Why would anyone want to watch/listen to my show above all the other ones already out there?" If you don't have a good answer for that question, it's going to be a hard road.
I 100% agree, but just an add on:

Don't try to force yourself to act like something you don't like just because it'd get more viewers. Being miserable most of the time would drain your mental health quickly, and even if you're good at acting, it'd start to show after awhile both on and off screen. Take care of yourself.

Lunir

May 17, 2018
Mexico
So, with Super Best Friends Play being finished (I didn't watch them myself but I know many others did), some people have been looking for replacements. I've been thinking though, what if we could be our own replacements? Maybe we can start trying to make our own let's plays and livestreams and share them with each other? Of course, it's not really a complete replacement, but I thought it'd be interesting trying to be a community that way in which we can try to help each other grow and improve.

EDIT: So, with the number of people interested, I decided to create a Discord server to try to make it easier to manage/discuss:
[Hidden content]

I would like to participate! Although, I mostly speak spanish but I can do both haha.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I 100% agree, but just an add on:

Don't try to force yourself to act like something you don't like just because it'd get more viewers. Being miserable most of the time would drain your mental health quickly, and even if you're good at acting, it'd start to show after awhile both on and off screen. Take care of yourself.

Precisely. Not to mention the whole "angry gamer" shtick is kind of past its prime these days. It's better to try and carve out your own path and find a concept that works for you.

KeiranRM

Mar 7, 2018
EDIT: So, with the number of people interested, I decided to create a Discord server to try to make it easier to manage/discuss:
[Hidden content][/QUOTE]

Always wanted to give streaming another go so sounds like fun, count me in if this picks up steam.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Fun idea...but there's a difference between can you play and are you entertaining. Some folks aren't that good at playing off each other in conversation either.

Just remember the old site and the whole "dude bro game" thing is all I'm saying here. Doin an all call to forum strangers for a " hey guys let's make our own" project can go very poorly.

Run a few shows and maybe see who folks enjoy and setup a few crews or teams based on who worked well together is my suggestion for y'all goin in on this.

Last edited: