• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
They need to bloat the games more tbh.

They could benefit so much from more variety in enemy teams and the ability to get any of my favorites without trading or having to own multiple games across different hardware.
Romhacks have spoiled me with the variety of Pokemon that are available. I for one would be perfectly fine running into half a hundred mons on every route, give me the full menagerie

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Isn't GameFreak a relatively small staff? In 20 years they could easily afford a massive team to make all of these critters.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
But we have new species going extinct every year. Didn't some kind of snail just went extinct yesterday?

So? There are rare pokemon, which you could consider "endangered" already, or even so rare that they were thought to be extinct. Nature is represented well, and will continue to be so by adding more and more Pokemon to represent the diversity of animal life. This is no reason to just stop adding Pokemon or start removing old pokemon. Every kind of pokemon is someone's best friend.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldnt mind if GameFreak took a break from designing new pokemon and went back and updated past ones like they did with Megas and Alolan forms.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't GameFreak a relatively small staff? In 20 years they could easily afford a massive team to make all of these critters.
GF intentionally keeps their numbers low. and they don't make the pokemon models, Creatures do (they even have a specific name for the Pokemon modeling team)

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For me a big part of the appeal of the series is to explore new regions and finding all new monsters that roam in this new environment.
I'm fine with them going beyond 1000, will probably be bummed if they somehow actually took a hard stance and stopped designing more.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Consider that the main source of money for the franchise is merchandise, and the the main avenue for new merch is new Pokémon (and new forms, but from a development perspective these aren't actually different) and it should be obvious why not continuing to make new ones would kill the franchise

AzVal

May 7, 2018
Capit at 151 (gen 1,obviously) and make the rest reskins and count them as an additional monster each a la MonHun.

Savage Charizard!
Apex Primeape!

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Storage will never be the problem. It's the amount of work involved . And games are more complicated graphically. Even at Nintendo's glacial pace of advancement that will become an issue too.
They've used the same high-res models since 2013, they will continue to do so until graphics take a massive leap above 1080p AND Nintendo adopts such technology like 4k/8k. Gamefreak will be fine lol

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldnt mind if GameFreak took a break from designing new pokemon and went back and updated past ones like they did with Megas and Alolan forms.

The main compromise I feel for adding new pokemon is new forms. The alolan forms was a great idea, since it was a decent middleground between making all new pokemon and just showing how the same species would adapt to a new environment, like real animals do.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
They will if the game takes too long to make or becomes prohibitively expensive.
Technical was the wrong word, should have said logistical. Money time manpower

Gen 8 is coming 3 years after Gen 7 which came 3 years after Gen 6 which came 3 years after Gen 5.

You're suggesting a solution to a problem that doesn't even exist.

And talking about money...new Pokemon are needed to continue driving new merchandise. Money is why there will continue being new Pokemon.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
They've already reduced the number of new Pokemon since Gen 5, and started focusing on improving old (mostly Gen 1) species.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Regional forms and re-typing would be enough for me
I really, really like regional forms. Alolan forms were a great idea, but then GameFreak added very few, and they were all Gen 1 for the sole reason of nostalgia. Expand the idea, and I would be very happy. Gen 6 and 7 made me appreciate Gen 5 soooo much more than I already did in regards to new Pokemon.

Oct 25, 2017
Please, tell me how? Because BW2 has 151 gen five pokemon while every other gen is around 30-40 pokemon. A varied amount of pokemon, but gen five still has the spotlight on them. A huge difference when compared to gen six where while more varied the new pokemon are harder to find, and also have less when conpared to another gen. Next your gonna tell me Johto didn't also had a Kanto bias, and all the johto pokemon were easily findable...
y8DyYwRl.jpg
Sounds like a personal problem. I can't help you with that.

WarAdept

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Of course not. Pokemon generates a lot of money.

Why would they chop of it's legs.

And the more 'mons, the better. Variety and new stuff is ace.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
The main compromise I feel for adding new pokemon is new forms. The alolan forms was a great idea, since it was a decent middleground between making all new pokemon and just showing how the same species would adapt to a new environment, like real animals do.
Exactly. Some pokemon right now are basically regional variants like Pidove is to pidgey.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Pokemon is one of the few franchises that should never have to worry about being too expensive. With how high mainline games always sell, plus merchandise, there's no danger of them ever running out of funding.

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
never really understood people (usually lapsed fans) complaining that there are "too many Pokemon these days". part of the appeal is the new Pokemon that come with each new game. I'd kill to erase all my pokemon knowledge and discover them all with fresh eyes again. it's not like your experience is impacted in a negative way if you don't know all the Pokemon anyway

it feels like complaining that a game has too much content

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Lets be honest, Pokémon is becoming bloated and there's a limit to how many character models Nintendo can cram into these games. It's time to make a line in the sand and work with what they have and make the most of it.

If they do I hope they use a first in first out approach, get rid of the oldest ones first.

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
people: wow I hate gamefreak for constantly cutting out features each generation and giving us less pokemon

also people: pokemon is becoming bloated, there's too much pokemon and features now. we need to go back to the original 151

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be okay with them throwing everything out and starting from scratch, capping the existing Pokedex just seems silly.

They either exist or they don't.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
people: wow I hate gamefreak for constantly cutting out features each generation and giving us less pokemon

also people: pokemon is becoming bloated, there's too much pokemon and features now. we need to go back to the original 151
people who play the games, vs people who don't play Pokemon, and can't help but wonder out loud why Pokemon's developers aren't doing more to meet the arbitrary standards that those people have decided might get them to take a second look at a series they otherwise wouldn't touch now

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
New Pokémon is what keeps the franchise going. You need new monsters to sell new merch.

1000 is a lot but there's not a single game that contains all Pokémon. Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon have the most with around 400 obtainable.

New Pokémon keep the franchise relevant and the games balance themselves around the volume of monsters.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
people who play the games, vs people who don't play Pokemon, and can't help but wonder out loud why Pokemon's developers aren't doing more to meet the arbitrary standards that those people have decided might get them to take a second look at a series they otherwise wouldn't touch now
the number of pokemon is hardly ever the reason some people won't touch series