• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
It's not possible to keep adding new ones for eternity.
It is though.

There is a reason new Generation(with new Pokemon) always sell better than Remakes, even though remakes usualy have more/refined features.

There has never been a pokemon game that allowed you to catch all pokemon anyway, not even gen 1(no mew without hacking/events).
They can keep the number aviable around 500, and just rotate the aviable ones for each game.

Technically it is not an issue either, irc from a Pokemon Go datamine we know all pokemon models in 3D are about 1GB in total.
So even if we double or tripple that to 2000+ we would only be around 3Gb, which is nothing when switch cardriges can be up to 64 GB.

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On the one hand, 1000 is a lot, and the more there are, the harder it is for someone to jump into Pokemon and know match ups and types and stuff.

On the other, hitting that 1000 and saying "No more, ever" seems like a good way to kill a franchise.

They should just be more selective with their additions.

Oh, and I just realized I could block OP's avatar with uBlock Origin's element blocker. I recommend doing the same to anyone who hates it like I do; the site is way better to browse now.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I'd be totally okay with it. I think it would probably be better to just way slow down new Pokemon though, maybe introduce like 20-30 a gen max or something., with even more of a focus on regional variants. I will admit that having several thousand Pokemon would make it difficult for me to keep up with it all as a middle aged man and I selfishly don't want it for that reasons.

Capping at 1000 will never happen though because it's not good for the series' marketing. It's mostly just me being a selfish old guy.

Also, if I could have it my way, Pokemon would be capped at 1000 and mostly be a nostalgia-driven franchise focused on refining the series mechanics, post-game content (like, we'd be getting stuff like gen 4/5 remakes with expanded post-games), and balance. And then alongside Pokemon, Game Freak would have another team developing another monster raising IP with entirely new designs that plays differently from Pokemon, meant to appeal to a new generation of children. Maybe the game could even have light Minecraft-eseque mechanics and an active battle system and things of that nature.

Last edited:

mrtl

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really care - as long as they put up the Bank application on Switch for Gen8. Otherwise I'll go into the new games with mixed to bad feelings from the get-go.