• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Would you buy a cheaper non-portable Switch?

• Don't own a Switch, Yes

Votes: 208 23.6%
  • Don't own a Switch, No

Votes: 98 11.1%
  • Own a Switch, yes(if I had the choice)

Votes: 94 10.7%
  • Own a Switch, no(if I had the choice)

Votes: 482 54.6%

• Total voters

Cocobani

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nope.
I believe the market has spoken and they want a hybrid system. It pretty much sells itself.
You don't want to confuse people by introducing another product so early into the systems lifespan.
Also, how much cheaper are we talking about OP?

DanTheMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I wouldn't be using it in handheld mode at all really. The only time I'd be using it is when I'm out for a long trip

This is how I imagined the Switch to be when they first talked about it. Handheld, and a PSTV box clone. Everyone happy. Have the handheld be the baseline and have the TV Box be stronger.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
i'd get one like this.

my main draw for the Switch is seeing the games from the handheld line now on TV since playing on the haldheld was always less desirable to me. the initial rumor that i liked the most was the merge of both console and haldheld dev studios's output on the same machine.

also, i don't like how the joycons feel at all and the screen, while being miles better than the 3DS and Wii U screens, is still not enough to keep me away from a nice TV.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
here are two points to consider for anyone who thinks a docked only Switch wouldn't be a terribly awful idea

1. the Switch's name is the Switch. the idea of being able to switch play-styles is baked into the name of the console.
2. the Switch logo features the joy con and ahead of pretty much every piece of marketing the joy con click is featured as well. it's how Switch commercials start and it's how most every Switch trailer on youtube starts as well.

considering those two points how do they go about introducing, positioning, and marketing a new system that is supposed to be a part of the same family of systems as the Switch? it doesn't switch, it could maybe still come with joy con instead of a pro controller but those joy con don't attach and click to the system. is Nintendo really going to take a hard left turn in how they've positioned and marketed their system in regards to the name, the main hook, the logo, and how they market the Switch in commercials and on streaming sites to appeal to a tiny group of people that already have the option to use the Switch as a docked only console?

Oct 30, 2017
Seems like there's one of these threads per hour. No, I wouldn't. The flexibility of the system is its strength. It's also selling in massive numbers, so yeah, not needed.

bob100

Oct 29, 2017
Most definately I would prefer a cheaper model. I never game on the move so that really has no benefit in my personal circumstance

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Main selling point should be the games.

Definitely was and is for me.

The only part I personally liked about it being a hybrid is that it means all their games in one place. Both the 3DS and Wii U libraries individually were a bit thin for my interests. Both combined are a hell of a library. That's part of why I bought in despite not caring about portability at all. It could have the best library of any Nintendo console ever depending on how long they suppport it before moving on, how third party support develops over time and what they do with the Virtual Console.

It's ability to take on the go is great but I have not used it on the go. I have taken it with me but then didn't play it.

Same. I lugged mine on a trip to Europe and played maybe 2 hours in the flight over and never touched it the rest of the trip or flight home. I'm just not into gaming enough to want to do it when I'm on the go. If anything thing I game too much at home and I'm usually burnt out on it and ready for a break when I travel or have down time in a waiting room. I always just end up reading on my Kindle more than gaming when I have both with me.

DanTheMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The people that are saying that they need the portability are forgetting that you would still have the Switch as it is now, but this is for those of us that want OPTIONS

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yes, i would love one. Its too expensive ritgh now, and i'm mostly interested on playing on a big screen.

Besides, a docked only unit would help circuvent one of the biggest limitations ritgh now: storage capacity cost.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
This post doesn't make sense to me, why would a non portable version need all of that when it doesn't have it now? It would be a downgrade in that you would lose the option of playing your Switch on the go.

You're maybe overthinking the question, a non-portable Switch would simply be the current Switch without the screen, battery and the ability to attach Joycons. Considering that those components constitute a hefty portion of the bill of materials, it would make sense that it would be cheaper to produce and sell. That's not even factoring in the fact that a stationary console would give Nintendo more real estate for working with the internal thermals, potentially allowing them to use cheaper components to get equal performance.

Ah yes, I see what you mean now. Sorry about that. It would be called differently I think then though.

DanTheMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
here are two points to consider for anyone who thinks a docked only Switch wouldn't be a terribly awful idea

1. the Switch's name is the Switch. the idea of being able to switch play-styles is baked into the name of the console.
2. the Switch logo features the joy con and ahead of pretty much every piece of marketing the joy con click is featured as well. it's how Switch commercials start and it's how most every Switch trailer on youtube starts as well.

considering those two points how do they go about introducing, positioning, and marketing a new system that is supposed to be a part of the same family of systems as the Switch? it doesn't switch, it could maybe still come with joy con instead of a pro controller but those joy con don't attach and click to the system. is Nintendo really going to take a hard left turn in how they've positioned and marketed their system in regards to the name, the main hook, the logo, and how they market the Switch in commercials and on streaming sites to appeal to a tiny group of people that already have the option to use the Switch as a docked only console?

Switch TV. Problem solved. The only issue would be the JoyCons

Oct 26, 2017
Not interested personally, but a non-portable switch could be sold as a 4k media box, like the Nvidia Shield TV already is. I'd guess that the usb->dock setup makes that impossible on the current version.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The people that are saying that they need the portability are forgetting that you would still have the Switch as it is now, but this is for those of us that want OPTIONS

yeah but this thread is based on a question that people are answering. those who value portability are answering the question and noting that as a reason why.

also the option to use the Switch as a docked console only already exists, it's the cheaper price thing that isn't a reality yet and for obvious reasons

Switch TV. Problem solved. The only issue would be the JoyCons

actually that doesn't solve any problem and actually creates problems. see my previous posts in this thread for further clarification.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I don't think Nintendo will ever sell other configurations. A console box would be seen as an under-powered console, a portable only would cost almost as much to produce.

I think we will see a "Light" version with lighter weight and thinner form factor, and a Pro version with bigger screen thats also 1080p, thinner bezel, and a little more power for hitting 1080p more often, including during handheld mode.

Peterc

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I would prefer a pro version like xbox one x or ps4 pro. With high quality material. Price doesn't matter.

hypostatic

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
This would be useless for me. My PS4 Pro is my main gaming machine. I use my Switch in bed and on the go as a complementary device for Nintendo exclusives.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
No. I use the Switch mainly docked, but the portability is an important attractive aspect of the overall package, even if I never use it.

Plus It's already not that expensive.

EDIT:
I'd only buy TV only Switch if it's specs were more powerful. Like a Pro or X.

This is a good consideration. I guess if the specs were significantly more powerful, I'd go with a non-portable version.

Oct 29, 2017
I agree with people saying it would unnecessarily muddy the waters. I don't use the Switch as a handheld often, but the ability to do so when I need it is a key feature for me. Also, the users sensitive to price have largely moved onto mobile games.
The Switch shows just how bad of a marketing and communications failure the Wii U was - there's no reason to start down that road again.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
I don't own a switch, and no. The charm is in that it can work both at home and on the go. Plus I really like the ability to play portably.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
I would only buy a revision if they fixed the dang joycons and made em ergonomic and made the dock suck less

Allseeingeye

Banned for having an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't , the ease of going portable when I want is a big part of the lure for me. I am sure some might though.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I like the system as it is. Portability inside my own house is a godsend to be able to spend more time with my family instead of being in a different room playing while they watch TV.
At the same time, when I want my space, I can play in my room in docked mode. Win-win.

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely yes. I never played prior handhelds outside, plus I can't bring myself to drop premium price for only a handful of appealing exclusives.

Last edited:

Xenoblade 3

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I would definitely buy a smaller portable only Switch that can fit in a pocket.
I only use it portable anyway, but I don't want to take it outside when it's so big.
If they made a no joycon - portable only Switch, I would line up for that.

quincognito

Oct 25, 2017
I think the key thing for me whenever this comes up is that a portable-only (or at least portable-primary) version of the switch has some obvious potential benefits that would drive some people to be interested in buying, while I can't see a single thing that makes a TV-only version useful unless the idea is that there's a massive discount attached to it.

ReDelicious

Oct 27, 2017
I know they wouldn't do it, and probably shouldn't, but I would buy it. Hell I'd even pay the same price for a more powerful docked only version (even less likely probably).

The main draw of Switch for me is the hybrid game library more than the hybrid physical nature of it. I already wouldn't have to put up with playing things in handheld mode as is though so overall I'm good, but it's a nice thought getting to cut the fat I don't need.

naff

Unshakeable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I like portables when actually travelling. But in general I play games in the comfort of my home on a large screen, I don't have spare time when not at home.

I would absolutely buy a small non-portable "switch", current Switch looks p dumb docked.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
No.

Do I often want to buy a new Switch because my damn cat chewed on the corner of my screen? Yes.

Oct 31, 2017
What's weird about it? Also portable is not exclusively "gaming on the go" its gaming in the same room whilst watching a Disney film on TV, it's gaming on the loo, its gaming before going to sleep in bed etc.

One of those I'm doing right now, feel free to guess which one :)

I guess portable gaming in the house is fine but in public I feel uncomfortable playing videos games.
And I don't use public transportation so i guess im bored less during daily commutes

Legitmcfalls

Oct 25, 2017
Waterloo Ontario
The time and money involved making a non-portable Switch should be put towards making a "pro" 4k dock with its own gpu.

I dont quite understand the arguments for a portable only Switch or a non portable Switch. The system is what you want it to be! My gf plays exclusively in handheld mode and Im back and forth between tv and handheld.

Freddo

Oct 27, 2017
Småland, Sweden
Yes, I would. I don't have a Switch, but intend to buy one at some point and it will be connected to the TV at all times. I'm not really big on portable gaming, my 3DS is pretty much just used in bed, could as well been connected to a larger display.

Oct 26, 2017
I would definitely buy a smaller portable only Switch that can fit in a pocket.
I only use it portable anyway, but I don't want to take it outside when it's so big.
If they made a no joycon - portable only Switch, I would line up for that.
I'm not the only one thinking that there could be something like this launched in time for Pokemon. If that's the plan then maybe the uncertainty of it launching in 2018 is even a side effect of that.

Matrix XII

Oct 27, 2017
I'm waiting for a hardware revision and/or a price cut to get the Switch. I'm not sure if I'd use it much in portable mode so for the thread vote I chose option 1.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I definitely wouldn't. I don't have a Switch yet but it having a portable mode is one of the biggest pluses for me.