• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Would you buy a console without a controller?

• Yes

Votes: 83 21.1%
  • No

Votes: 238 60.6%
  • Maybe

Votes: 72 18.3%

• Total voters

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Next gen is approaching and there is a lot of talk about the consoles themselves. But what about the controllers? I think at some point controllers will become so standardized that eventually consoles will have backwards compatibility with old gamepads. The same gamepads that retailers charge $50 for regardless of how long they have been out.

So if it meant saving money on your next gen Xbox or PlayStation, would you be willing to buy a console that has no controller if you could use you current gamepad on it?

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
I don't see it happening with the base controllers, with the expensive peripherals though, sure

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
Probably not. That new controller feel is pretty awesome, especially when it's totally new to you. That and outside of later Xbox One controllers (Bluetooth models) the controllers this gen were pretty trash in terms of build quality. Gimme new.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My SuperNT didn't come with a controller, so I guess I would buy a console without one.

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
If my Elite works with Anaconda? Absolutely! Then again Microsoft is the king of controllers. I can't imagine a much better controller then the One controller especially the Elite

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean the OP contains what I need to know: If the current controller is just as functional? sure. Why not. If there's ANY feature I'm missing, I'm probably not doing it though.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
The total price point of buying the console and an input device for it would have to be lower than a competing console that includes the controller packed in.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Assuming I'm not missing out on any kind of functionality, I don't think I'd have any problem continuing to use my current gen controller on a next gen console.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
Sure. Controller support should be abstracted to the point where you can use whatever you want, a la Steam Input.

OP
OP
MysticGon

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Assuming I'm not missing out on any kind of functionality, I don't think I'd have any problem continuing to use my current gen controller on a next gen console.

Same. If that took the cost of jumping into next gen from $500 to $450 I would jump in sooner.

Nov 27, 2017
California
Sell consoles without a hard drive since a lot of us just replace it when we get the console.

Xbox might get ahead if they allow current gen / Xbox one controllers on their new Xbox

But then again, controllers are easy $$$$ for companies

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If my old controller works the same then I'm okay with it as long as it saves me money. But that's likely a long shot

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
I would assuming my elite would work as it does with the One X and there was a financial incentive to do so unless new consoles shipped with a superior more functional controller the elite could not replicate.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I like choosing my own controller color so this would be a very good thing

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like the idea because it sounds like something that would be used to increase the effective price of a console. I'd compare it to Nintendo not including chargers with 3DS systems. Pretty sure controllers have super high margins anyway so it wouldn't be an effective way to pass along savings to the customer. Sony/MS/Nintendo might save $20 not bundling a controller that retails for $60-$70, if anything they would pass that $20 savings on to you, only for you to spend the extra $40 and fleece more out of you.

*If* it somehow actually saved money and old controllers were supported I'd be fine with it though I guess. I use a Wii U Pro on Switch, saved some money buying a Magic NS instead of a Switch Pro controller.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Wut?

How do I play a game without a controller?

I'd have to buy one anyway. There's no reason not to sell them together.

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
I have 5 Xbox One controllers. I'd happily save $50 on the next console if I can use the old controllers.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I'll be pretty excited if I can just use my elite controller with the new xbox. At the same time there is something special about learning a new controller, from the button layout to the way the different textures feel against the palms of tour hands.

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
i hope that controllers can be backwards compat this time. at least for titles that dont use the new gimmicks that will likely come with next gen (i.e. fighting, sidescrollers). its a tradition that has warn out its welcome especially for controllers that have identical functionality like 360-xone controllers.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Ordinarily no, but since I run FGC events, I'd buy a console without a controller for events if the price was cheaper to reflect that.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Yes, if it made it cheaper and if there were no major differences with the controllers... or ideally, no difference.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
If it means 50 bucks less and my old controllers already work just as well, then yes, absolutely!

Ideally I'd want a revolutionary improvement to the controllers for a new generation though, but we seem to have stagnated with that idea.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Nah. I basically don't buy controllers other than what ships with the system, so my DS4 is six years old. Time to get a new pad.

OsakaDon

Oct 29, 2017
Osaka, Japan
You mean like how the DS4 introduced the amazingly useful touchpad?

Yea, for horse shit useless stuff like that, devs should have to create controller mapping for when a standard controller is plugged in. For example the analog stick would function as the touch pad.
Or put an icon on the box stating if the the game uses standard controllers or requires a new controller.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Of course why not?

If I already own controllers which are compatible with the newest console, why bother?

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't be buying one without a controller...

When I AM the controller! :P

On a more serious note, no. The only way this would ever be so is if I buy another console when I already have a perfectly fine controller for it, or I bought the controller first... for some reason.

Switch might be the one and only console that you COULD do this with, since it does have touch-only games I think.

But as a brand-new console specifically? Nah, I'd want a fancy controller meant specifically for it. It's possible it'd have features not on the current one.

Nov 8, 2017
I'm buying PS5 regardless, but we're not at the point where standardised controllers can happen yet. We still need a single solution that's suitable for both traditional play and for VR games.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yes I want to be able to use the xbone x controller s for every new console ever.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
If there are no new unique functions then sure. It's not like I go out and buy a new controller every time I upgrade my PC. They should allow as much controller compatibility as possible.