• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Persona 3 on PSP and P2 Eternal Punishment already do this and there wasn't any controversy.. I don't see what the big deal would be in P6.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
The idea of a female MC being the reason we'd finally be given quality same sex romance options, is in itself, homophobic. Female same sex relationships are often used by large developers primarily for straight male gaze fantasy fulfillment, not to provide the queer community with choice and inclusiveness, all while queer male characters, and male same sex relationships, are almost always shunned, stigmatized, and/or mocked.

The Persona games should always have male & female protagonists, both with meaningful same sex relationship storylines and options, ie. more than one. But until Atlus makes amends for how they've absolutely failed queer men, over multiple games, a female protag with queer options isn't enough to make up for that.

(And of course there's the whole issue of their horrible treatment of trans characters, but that deserves it's own topic.)

Last edited:

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I would go so far as to say I'd prefer it so long as it didn't get too cringey. Persona has an interesting mix of surprisingly well written characters and narrative arcs while also having some of the overly sexualized, fetishized characters.

Give me a Naoto or Makato and I'd be very happy.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
A woman? In MY videogames?? No thank you!!

tenor.gif

I wouldn't buy the game because I don't care for the series

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
The idea of a female MC being the reason we'd finally be given quality same sex romance options, is in itself, homophobic. Female same sex relationships are often used by large developers primarily for straight male gaze fantasy fulfillment, not to provide the queer community with choice and inclusiveness, all while queer male characters, and male same sex relationships, are almost always shunned, stigmatized, and/or mocked.

The Persona games should always have male & female protagonists, both with meaningful same sex relationship storylines and options, ie. more than one. But until Atlus makes amends for how they've absolute failed queer men, over multiple games, a female protag with queer options isn't enough to make up for that.

(And of course there's the whole issue of their horrible treatment of trans characters, but that deserves it's own topic.)

Brilliant post. The Persona 5 romances save for one or two already felt shallow and escapist. What more with female same-sex relationship?

Seeing a woman be as effortlessly front-and-center cool as Joker was would be a huge win, and maybe the community will ride that inspiration/empowerment to create something truly inclusive. But I don't trust Atlus itself to deliver something more meaningful than a rush that's all flash and no substance.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
I've bought PSP version of 3 back in the day, why wouldn't I buy P6?

I just hope it'll receive a good overhaul in terms of gameplay and design.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I loved Persona 5 but I would need to know that Atlus JP didn't put in gay panic type scenes again. With how little the gender of the main character mattered in P5, why not let someone choose? There was barely any spoken lines as it was for the main character.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely.
It wouldn't be a factor to make me any more likely to buy it, but it certainly wouldn't make me any less likely.

Trails

Oct 28, 2017
Well if you don't know what the trap is
If you don't know who the trap is trying to target
If you are COMPLETELY unsure if said trap even exists
Then you should not be throwing around accusations that people are trying to trick you or anyone into doing anything.
I'm not going to sit here and entertain your madman rationale as I am not the one who is making accusations of nefarious plots based on the flimsiest of logic if you can even call it that.

Get gone buddy, you've lost this one. Come back in February to post in your monthly thread.

If you read through this thread and my posts, you will find your answer but for some reason you seem to be purposefully ignoring doing that. I told you in my last reply that my very first post in this thread explains this "trap", but you ignore. You are also making claims out of thin air, again. How the hell did you come to a conclusion that I'm COMPLETELY unsure? I've very much expressed I'm not 100% sure but that certainly does not mean I'm COMPLETELY unsure. You are pretty much saying that any sort of speculation or suspicion should not be done. Again, if you read through this thread you'll find I am not the only "suspicious" one. And if I had to name the biggest reason for my suspicion in the first place, it's this very forum. If this thread was made in any other forum I would not have suspected anything but this forum right here has a history, a certain type of history. OP has since commented and provided context for this thread and that has changed my mind aswell. There were still open possibilities and this is the very reason I did not fully commit before and jump to absolute conclusion.

I keep answering your questions yet you keep avoiding yours. You also act like some Grand Authority whose logic does not need any proof.

Jul 24, 2018
I would buy it twice, Japanese and western. I've been hounding Atlus for the lack of a female protagonist for years now, lol.

RudyS

Nov 2, 2017
Yes, but more important than the main character gender I would like if he/she was a full fledged character with a voice and personality so he/she can participate in the discussions and not just stand there watching all the other characters having interesting convos.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
If you read through this thread and my posts, you will find your answer but for some reason you seem to be purposefully ignoring doing that. I told you in my last reply that my very first post in this thread explains this "trap", but you ignore. You are also making claims out of thin air, again. How the hell did you come to a conclusion that I'm COMPLETELY unsure? I've very much expressed I'm not 100% sure but that certainly does not mean I'm COMPLETELY unsure. You are pretty much saying that any sort of speculation or suspicion should not be done. Again, if you read through this thread you'll find I am not the only "suspicious" one. And if I had to name the biggest reason for my suspicion in the first place, it's this very forum. If this thread was made in any other forum I would not have suspected anything but this forum right here has a history, a certain type of history. OP has since commented and provided context for this thread and that has changed my mind aswell. There were still open possibilities and this is the very reason I did not fully commit before and jump to absolute conclusion.

I keep answering your questions yet you keep avoiding yours. You also act like some Grand Authority whose logic does not need any proof.
Your very first post did not explain who the target of the trap was. You just said it was "a trap to lure out opinions and shit on them". You didn't say what opinions and from there on you didn't say what opinions and just doubled down on "DUDE THERES AND AGENDA! IM TELLING YOU THERE DEFINITELY IS".

Also lol, I'm not answering your dumbass questions because I don't have to. I'm not the one accusing anyone of anything nefarious. That's on you my dude. Keep holding the L though, I'm sure you'll find someone who wants to debate with you.

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Nah I prob won't even buy persona 6 regardless. it's more of fuck atlus for their scummy ways.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Nope... I probably won't buy Persona 6 because I don't like the series' tone (although I want to try out 5 at some point I guess). No issues with a female protag though. One in SMT V would be awesome.

Banned

Nov 10, 2017
Yes I would, as long as the game is good I don't care who the protagonist is. Just like I had no issue when ff13 had a female protagonist

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I just realized, with the exception of ffx-2, I can't think of a JRPG where the main character was female.

Phantasy Star 1
Wild Arms 3 & Wild Arms XF
Trails in the Sky FC & SC
Valkyrie Profile series
Parasite Eve series
Final Fantasy XIII trilogy
Final Fantasy VI arguably has a different female main character for each half (Terra & Celes)

Trails

Oct 28, 2017
Your very first post did not explain who the target of the trap was. You just said it was "a trap to lure out opinions and shit on them". You didn't say what opinions and from there on you didn't say what opinions and just doubled down on "DUDE THERES AND AGENDA! IM TELLING YOU THERE DEFINITELY IS".

Also lol, I'm not answering your dumbass questions because I don't have to. I'm not the one accusing anyone of anything nefarious. That's on you my dude. Keep holding the L though, I'm sure you'll find someone who wants to debate with you.
It did. The problem is you demand me to give you exact characteristics about a subject where I was vague on purpose. I did not believe the target was a single narrow opinion. I've commented about this to a different poster. For example it could have been an opinion targeted from a misogynist angle. Or something else. Maybe you are not familiar but this series has had very negative discussion in this forum in the past. I wouldn't say it was a far reach to be skeptical about thinking this thread might have been continuation of that given the premise of the thread.

And you don't have to answer me anything, you are absolutely right. You have the right to argue the way you want and it's obvious we have different rulesets when it comes to arguing. When my logic and arguments are contested I find it necessary to dwelve deeper and provide more context, logic and arguments whereas you simply say "I don't have to.". And like I said, it's ok, it's not really that uncommon among people. However I will say this, I cannot take seriously argument/debate where the other part uses a ruleset so far from mine.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I admittedly prefer playing games as male characters, but having a gal protag isn't gonna stop me from picking a game up that interests me and I like Persona so I'd obviously still be in. Plus side, it would actually be nice to be able to romance dudes for once lol. I'd just really hope they don't obnoxiously sexualize her cuz if I gotta stare at a girl's behind for 100 hours I'd very much rather she be tastefully dressed and posed.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm jealous of your ignorance of the whole Lightning trilogy.
The first Phantasy Star game.
1248bb0f06bb84f6c7ec5f3f4964dc71.jpg
Phantasy Star 1
Wild Arms 3 & Wild Arms XF
Trails in the Sky FC & SC
Valkyrie Profile series
Parasite Eve series
Final Fantasy XIII trilogy
Final Fantasy VI arguably has a different female main character for each half (Terra & Celes)
Sorry all, I can't believe I've forgotten so many titles, especially ff13. I haven't played the trails in the sky series yet, I should give that a look. I just remembered tales of beseria is a recent one as well.

Nov 19, 2017
Probably not, tbh. I loved P4, but P3 and P5 weren't really 100% my jam (though P3P was pretty great). They'd have to sell me on the whole concept before I buy the next one, especially since I personally want a return-to-P4-ways. Changing up the MC would be more change on top of change I already didn't like with P5.

That said, I think P3P and Fire Emblem do it the right way - have both, let players pick whatever they want.

Edit: ergh, who am I kidding? I love P studio so I'll probably buy it anyway. Whether I play/finish it is another matter, however.

Last edited:

SmileBrandon

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Baton Rouge, LA
Huhh? Why does anything of that matter when the protagonist in other Persona games doesn't fit that description at all?
I loved Yu as a character, came off as easy going and was either a friendly person, or B, people got along well with him. So it depends on a number of things for me, but if the character is a great one, I ain't buggin. I could go into more, but w/e