• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Would you crowfund a high budget game about China crimes against humanity?

• Yes

Votes: 81 33.2%
  • No

Votes: 163 66.8%

• Total voters

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
If someone attempted to deliver an AAA experience about China crimes against humanity, and intended to have it release on all systems, would you contribute in the Kickstarter project(assuming it looks convincing and serious enough).
In terms of content, it would aim at being accepted on all consoles and on PC, without any censorship. I don't think currently any big publisher would dare do this, but if someone stared such a prohjject would you give it a chance?

by no censorship I mean no censorship regarding criticism of CPC that would be constant in the game, and about the crimes committed. The story would be about a group of people having lost family members who would decide to create a small group of resistance, knowing they are going to certain death.
Gameplay would include actions of resistance, armed or unarmed resistance, possibility to disfigure posters of real-life leaders of the CPC.
In order to display a form of diplomacy, the developers would include a message explaining to the leaders of China that they are doing them a favor.

baggage

Oct 25, 2017
The world does not need a AAA remake of Hong Kong '97. Also, I don't know if it would even do anything, if it would make a mark.

Mobius

Banned
Oct 10, 2019
No I wouldn't, you don't need a high budget AAA game to educate people on a issue that isn't difficult to understand.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
edit: nevermind, i dont want my post to be misinterpreted as trolling or china shilling/ both sideing

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Zuh?

I mean, if it was an interesting story and looked promising, maybe, but crowdfunding AAA anything is ridiculous, and funding it on message alone is a recipe for disaster. Think of sitting through any number of terrible films with worthwhile messages that exist purely to convey those messages, with little thought given to working outside of them. They're miserable experiences, and most people avoid them.

OP
OP

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
what china is doing is horrible but this comes off as china red scare stuff unless you advocate for games exposing americas military bullshit rather than celebrating it as well
I have never been in favor of pro american army propaganda honestly so I didn't mind playing specs ops(but found the gameplay tedious).

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
specifically because it is anti mainland china? no. because it looks like a good game? also no, but that's just because i dont crowdfund anything that isnt about helping someone personally or directly donating to a cause.

I happen to agree with the cause, but this still sounds weird. when someone has a political message they want to get across in a game they should feel free to, and when they need crowdfunding they should be allowed to turn to it. the weirdness here is in turning them into propoganda in your mind to justify supporting them

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
I wouldn't fund it because I just don't support that sort of system. Especially after all these games making deals on the back end and screwing donors from what I've been reading.

However I'm not opposed to playing a game with that scenario. Max Payne 3 had a similar setting with government corruption and even had scenes where there were organ farms in Brazil, it was pretty graphic from what I remember.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why a game, when the medium is as competent at conveying political thought as the octopus that predicts presidential elections? Why not just make documentaries and focus on showing what's actually going on instead of creating some fictional narrative?
In order to display a form of diplomacy, the developers would include a message explaining to the leaders of China that they are doing them a favor.
I'm confused by everything you're saying, but this line confuses me the most.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not really. Same as I wouldn't fund a game about the holocaust. These things, while needing more exposure, don't really mesh well with the whole concept of escapism or even basic interactivity.

OP
OP

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
Why a game, when the medium is as competent at conveying political thought as the octopus that predicts presidential elections? Why not just make documentaries and focus on showing what's actually going on instead of creating some fictional narrative?

I'm confused by everything you're saying, but this line confuses me the most.
I feel fiction is more powerful than reality sometimes or at least more effective. The audience for a fiction and the audience for a documentary is not the same.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
That would be a cool concept.

You're a field reporter who has infiltrated an oppressive regime and you have to document and capture footage of abhorrent acts and make it out alive to report them. Or you can ignore all of your training and choose to be part of the story by rescuing the oppressed underground railroad like...

Hmm yes I think I would crowd fund something like that.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really. Same as I wouldn't fund a game about the holocaust. These things, while needing more exposure, don't really mesh well with the whole concept of escapism or even basic interactivity.
I do think that a carefully designed interactive mechanic around such horrors shouldn't necessarily be off-limits.

There's a boardgame called Train. And I think it works wonderfully as a piece of art, something that has a message, and can move you.
Of course expecting even a fraction of that nuance and sensitivity and thoughtfullness in a big budget product, is completely out of the question.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
I wouldn't crowdfund a thing ever
maybe I'd buy it if it's good, but that's about it

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
I wouldn't crowdfund a thing ever
maybe I'd buy it if it's good, but that's about it

EDIT: oops, stupid internet

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
That would be a cool concept.

You're a field reporter who has infiltrated an oppressive regime and you have to document and capture footage of abhorrent acts and make it out alive to report them. Or you can ignore all of your training and choose to be part of the story by rescuing the oppressed underground railroad like...

Hmm yes I think I would crowd fund something like that.

Their humanitarian crisis is our thrilling stealth-based third-person shooter!

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
why stop with china? there's 'crimes against humanity' going on all over the place. or would you prefer they all be sequels?...

BackwardCap

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Nobody would care enough to play it, you're better off spreading awareness yourself.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I'd probably be more concerned when AAA games start rewriting China's war crimes and blaming them on other nations.

As it is Kingdom Hearts has China covered.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
What's the point of making it interactive? Leave this to the realm of journalists and documentarians.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Actually I'm more interested in game about Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Dr J

Oct 27, 2017
How about the US or all the atrocities committed by the western civilizations during the colonization or Japanese atrocities during WW2?

Oct 28, 2017
This is not the correct platform/avenue to educate/showcase about these issues, especially when you directly and specifically name a non-fictional person/group/religion/country.

Games are a luxury product, why would you spend enormous amounts of money to make a game about it and then ask even more people to spend money to educate/showcase these issues?

Messofanego

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
An indie game about the Uyghur concentration camps in Xinjiang could be possible, but I don't know how a AAA game would fit in terms of game design.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018

xytqgoywcij21.jpg

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
One of the most bizarre questions and threads I've seen on either GAF or ERA.

No. What the hell?

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
We don't need an AAA game to do the internets job. People who care will do the cursory google search to get the gist and those who don't won't.

Warukyure

Banned
Feb 23, 2019
Why stop there?

Let's have a game about how many Yemeni children filled school buses you can blow up as a Saudi, or how about how many civilians you can kill with unmanned drone strikes, we can call that one drone strike simulator!

But for real, no, games are escapism, if you need news and to understand the horrors in the world, there's Prime Time News at 6.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
no, its not a concept you can gameify and just sell for 60$

sorry brehs but videogames just arent that sophisticated of a medium

OP
OP

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
no, its not a concept you can gameify and just sell for 60$

sorry brehs but videogames just arent that sophisticated of a medium
So you don't think video games havee become more than games? I am underr the feeling they could be more powerful nowdays than any tv show.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
No... I wouldn't like a game about ISIS or holocaust too.

A documentary? Sure.