• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rambis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
literally everyone has genital herpes. it's the same as canker soars that occasionally show up in your mouth. literally the only people without it are people who don't have sex. I don't even know if I have it but I'm going to assume I do and I get tested for aids which is negative.
Lmao this is so fucking stupid. No wonder STD rates are fucking soaring.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know, lots of people have herpes and yet the stigma persists. Not saying there's anything wrong with wanting to prevent infection.

But there's money on the table here. A dating site for people who have herpes. No suprises, no worries.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean if this was told to me on the first date and I'm not vining with them. Bye. But if there's a deep connection the. I'd see where it goes

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
HSV1 cannot cause genital herpes. They are two different viruses. Genital herpes does not refer to the area in your body you get herpes, it refers to HSV2, a different, generally far more destructive and nasty virus.

All these people in this thread saying herpes isn't a big deal because they know someone who has it, and its not a big deal for them are really missing the point.

You guys do realize not everyone reacts to HSV2 the same? And that there are at least 8 different HSV2 strains. Some are more virulent than others. You're one anecdotal experience doesn't cover the millions upon millions who have HSV2.

It's a fact that genital herpes can be a brutal affliction, that people feel ruins their lives. Just google herpes message boards, and look at what carriers say. It's also true many people rarely breakout or are in pain. But some people are constantly breaking out and constantly feeling nerve pain. Frequent and horrific nerve pain with herpes is a reality many people have to live with.

This has always been the common perception with genital herpes and its perception. Many sufferers are stuck between promoting the idea that they should not be stigmatised due to it not being a big deal, and also saying the disease is not taken seriously enough and people do not realize the horrible pain they are in.
The vast majority of people don't experience major horrible symptoms like you mentioned though, for many they don't have any.

And yes genital herpes can be transmitted just by mouth HSV1...

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
That's probably the only STD I would be okay with dating someone with. From what I have read/heard it's pretty manageable and people will go years without any kind of breakout.

BeerMan

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Aug 4, 2018
The vast majority of people don't experience major horrible symptoms like you mentioned though, for many they don't have any.

And yes genital herpes can be transmitted just by mouth HSV1...

Yes, I know it can be transmitted by mouth, I never said it couldn't, its relatively rare though. Think you're misunderstanding either my post or the one I was replying to.

I said many times the vast majority won't be symptomatic, but a 1/20, suggested by some researchers, chance isn't good enough for some people. There's no reason to shy away from that reality. A potential 1/20 chance is still pretty horrible odds if you ask me. We're not exactly talking about getting struck by lightening.

I would actually consider dating someone with herpes. Not saying other people shouldn't. But I do definitely believe the destructiveness of herpes is downplayed a lot as harmless. And i don't think there's anything wrong with not wanting to take the risk of contracting a potentially debilitating disease.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's probably the only STD I would be okay with dating someone with. From what I have read/heard it's pretty manageable and people will go years without any kind of breakout.
Are you talking infections here or do you mean things like HIV? Because infections are usually curable. Also HIV is manageable with current medication, though I understand the apprehension.

Look, it's entirely understandable that people want to avoid catching herpes, nobody wants herpes. That doesn't justify dehumanizing people because they have a fucking disease. You can catch all kinds of viruses from other people, many of which are more likely to be fatal or destructive then herpes.

Nov 17, 2017
Go look at your last std test results. I bet they didn't even test for hsv I or II.
This is definitely something that is interesting to point out. Most standard STD screens do not test for herpes unless you specifically ask them too.

I remember the first few times I was tested, I assumed they tested for herpes because it was such an awful and debilitating disease, right? Nope, they don't at all.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Personally, while I would thank the person for being upfront and let me knowing they have herpes, I couldn't continue the date. I don't see the logic in potentially contracting a non-curable STD to be with someone that you aren't even sure you would want to be there for your entire life. If it was someone I had been with for years then maybe but even then it would be hard because if you somehow contracted the virus then that would effect any prospective relationships in the future if things weren't to work out. It's sad for her and selfish of the guys but sometimes it's ok to be selfish when you it effects you directly.

rambis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know, lots of people have herpes and yet the stigma persists. Not saying there's anything wrong with wanting to prevent infection.

But there's money on the table here. A dating site for people who have herpes. No suprises, no worries.
Herpes isn't usually life threatening itself but it can and does affect other portions of your body. I really wish this "but everybody has it!" line of thinking would die. Look up what happens if the shit travels to your brain or eyes before your immune system is able to stop it.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I wouldn't date or marry someone with genital herpes.

My wife wouldn't be too happy about it.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is definitely something that is interesting to point out. Most standard STD screens do not test for herpes unless you specifically ask them too.

I remember the first few times I was tested, I assumed they tested for herpes because it was such an awful and debilitating disease, right? Nope, they don't at all.

It's because blood tests for it are unreliable and you're basically just making people freak out about something that most people have and top of that typically has zero symptoms.

Should kind of tell you a lot about how insignificant of a virus it is if doctors don't even give a fuck about testing for it.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the fact that most sexually active people have some form of herpes, yes, I would in a heartbeat.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Herpes isn't usually life threatening itself but it can and does affect other portions of your body. I really wish this "but everybody has it!" line of thinking would die. Look up what happens if the shit travels to your brain or eyes before your immune system is able to stop it.
"
Meningitis and encephalitis may be caused by bacteria, fungi, or other types of germs. But many are caused by viruses, and many kinds of viruses can be to blame.

Encephalitis is caused by the herpes simplex virus. Most are caused by herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV1), the virus that also causes cold sores"

https://www.healthline.com/health/encephalitis

More than half of Americans have HSV1, many from birth, many with no idea they have it. Yes it CAN be serious but I mean, serious diseases can be caused by minor infections all the time.

rambis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"
Meningitis and encephalitis may be caused by bacteria, fungi, or other types of germs. But many are caused by viruses, and many kinds of viruses can be to blame.

Encephalitis is caused by the herpes simplex virus. Most are caused by herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV1), the virus that also causes cold sores"

https://www.healthline.com/health/encephalitis

More than half of Americans have HSV1, many from birth, many with no idea they have it. Yes it CAN be serious but I mean, serious diseases can be caused by minor infections all the time.

Most "minor infections" aren't present in your blood for life. Its like people don't realize that their immune systems break down as they age.

anybody worth sleeping with does. I mean yea not everyone but it is insanely high and anybody who isn't just sitting around their house or not religious and goes out to bars and is a part of a social circle probably has it. the numbers are like 80% according to youtube.
GGOM people are so fucking lost.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
most people already have it, you dangus. Life's too short to worry about it, beyond taking the usual precautions (safe sex)
Thats not an answer to their question lol

I got an idea, a dating web site for people with STDs

you guys go on that site while the rest of us date non-STD people

I wouldn't be surprised if someone actually wants to make such a site possible, but all I can think is that it would somehow be used for harassment.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Most "minor infections" aren't present in your blood for life. Its like people don't realize that their immune systems break down as they age.
My immune system is shit and always has been, I have HSV1 and see some of the top doctors in the country. Never ever was advised to take precautions about it spreading to the eyes or brain because it really, really isn't something to worry about lol.

Two thirds of the world has it, pls stop your fearmongering. Again it's possible, but so is slipping and breaking your neck.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Herpes based encephalitis is extremely rare and eye herpes is pretty uncommon as well. Also given that most adults have hsv I and the transmission to the brain isn't even well understood, I'm not sure what we should do about it. Condemn 80% of the adult population for having something most other people have? It spreads extremely easily and has been around for thousands of years. Sure a vaccine would be great but until then it isn't really something worth living in fear of or being dicks to people who have it because you probably do too.

Deleted member 9838

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh ok, so you are trolling.

Duly noted.

Those already exist and when I mentioned it earlier in the thread, I had people jump on me for even suggesting it.
I'm being a bit facetious but it really isn't a serious issue. little red bumps here and there is not a problem and the numbers are so high I do question how outgoing a person is if they don't have it or if they are afraid of it. most people don't even get symptoms and when they do it's like having a bit of razor burn for a couple days. it's just "no sex before marriage" sex ed programming they're running on that's why they're scared of it when chances are if they've slept with more than a couple people they have it.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Yeah this thread is gonna be fun.
it shouldnt be, i'm glad to see people actually posting the statistics, i remember years ago on the old fourm like 95% of the posts were like OMG HERPES is the worst thing ever.

its not, its not a big deal, like it all. You can have a perfectly healthy relationship and sex life with someone that has herpes.
Its practically the weed of STDs. People view it as some horrible thing, when its pretty much harmless.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol this isn't true.

Yeah, it is, at least hsv i, which functionally really isn't any different than hsv ii is it can transfer to the genitals and vice versa. Most adults do have hsv I or II but it isn't typically tested for in a standard std test as it typically doesn't present any symptoms. Go read about it some more. The CDC doesn't even recommend blood testing for hsv I or II.

BeerMan

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Aug 4, 2018
No not everyone, nor even most, have genital herpes. I think people are confusing it with HSV1, which is oral herpes and tends to live around the mouth, is far more common, but also generally far less virulent.

Genital herpes, HSV2, its estimated about 12% -16% of the American population has it. A significant number of those people suffer very bad symptoms. Most will not. But that is not even a majority much less everyone.

Last edited:

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Point

Your head

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
it shouldnt be, i'm glad to see people actually posting the statistics, i remember years ago on the old fourm like 95% of the posts were like OMG HERPES is the worst thing ever.

its not, its not a big deal, like it all. You can have a perfectly healthy relationship and sex life with someone that has herpes.
Its practically the weed of STDs. People view it as some horrible thing, when its pretty much harmless.
Herpes - the weed of STD's™

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
people in this thread really claiming that you're less of a person if you DON'T have herpes?

now I've seen it all.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yea I mean, this.

Pretty sure the majority of Americans have HPV.
I think its something really high like 80% of Americans have HPV. But there is no way to test for it and most cases there is no outward signs so its almost impossible to know if you have it or not on your own.

Like, anyone in this thread who isn't a virgin and has slept with more than one person even if they always use protection is extremely likely to have HPV.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No not everyone does not have genital herpes. I think people are confusing it with HSV1, which is oral herpes and tends to live around the mouth, is far more common, but also generally far less virulent.

Genital herpes, HSV2, its estimated about 12% -16% of the American population has it. A significant number of those people suffer very bad symptoms. Most will not. But that is not even a majority much less everyone.

And no, just because you have a lot of sex does not mean you are assured to have genital herpes, that is also not true.

Functionally they aren't much different though, and both can be transferred orally or genitally and both can present symptoms orally or genitally. Typically neither does. On a fundametal level they are very very similar.

https://jvi.asm.org/content/89/5/2892.full

trikster40

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nope, especially if I found out on the first date. If they waited a long time to tell me, I'd be suuuuuper pissed because they would be hiding it so there goes trust.

There are plenty of people out there where this wouldn't be an issue for them. I'm not one of those people. What if the relationship doesn't last but you contracted herpes from them? Now you're in their boat.

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Do all you people freaking out over herpes ask every person if he/she has herpes before you kiss them or share a drink or anything that can put you in contact potentially with some skin cells of theirs? or are you just specifically against the genital variety

just curious

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do all you people freaking out over herpes ask every person if he/she has herpes before you kiss them or share a drink or anything that can put you in contact potentially with some skin cells of theirs? or are you just specifically against the genital variety

just curious

Twist, the "genital" variety can be transferred via saliva.

rambis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My immune system is shit and always has been, I have HSV1 and see some of the top doctors in the country. Never ever was advised to take precautions about it spreading to the eyes or brain because it really, really isn't something to worry about lol.

Two thirds of the world has it, pls stop your fearmongering. Again it's possible, but so is slipping and breaking your neck.

Ehhh the immune system is quite complex, what does my immune system is shit mean in this context? And fearmongering? No:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5394093/

HSV-1 has the ability to build a primary and latent infection in human bodies, and causes serious diseases in human beings (Laing et al., 2012). It will benefit public health worldwide by reducing HSV-1 infection in human beings, and the efficient and effective pathway to control viral infectious disease is to inject vaccines.

Again, alot of people have herpes and it isn't life threatening itself but that doesn't mean that it doesn't lead to significantly worse consequences later in life as a result of your immune system being taxed to its max and breaking down.

Herpes based encephalitis is extremely rare and eye herpes is pretty uncommon as well. Also given that most adults have hsv I and the transmission to the brain isn't even well understood, I'm not sure what we should do about it. Condemn 80% of the adult population for having something most other people have? It spreads extremely easily and has been around for thousands of years. Sure a vaccine would be great but until then it isn't really something worth living in fear of or being dicks to people who have it because you probably do too.

As I said before I am against condemning people and creating outcasts but this laissez faire attitude is also not the answer. People need to get serious about STDs. Period.

STDs are at an alltime high(again)

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
The dude that instantly kicked her to the curb and told her to go find a ride home is a huge asshole. At least be nice, finish the date and take her home afterwards before you dump her.

That being said, it's a really hard choice. One one end, yeah I'd like to avoid herpes at all costs. On the other, it depends on what kind of person she is. I would consider brushing it aside if she was an amazing person who clicked with me 100%.

Hopefully she finds someone. That's a huge bummer.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure. It's not a big deal. Just have to be careful during outbreaks. Many, many people have some form of the disease, whether it's 1 or 2.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That blurb you posted says the answer is vaccines, not fear mongering. They're working on it. The CDC isn't even serious about preventing herpes by any other means than a vaccine and practicing safe sex in general, but they don't even recommend blood testing for either herpes strain.

https://www.cdc.gov/std/herpes/screening.htm

Genital herpes is common. Why doesn't CDC recommend testing everyone for this STD?
CDC does not recommend herpes testing for people without symptoms. This is because diagnosing genital herpes in someone without symptoms has not shown any change in their sexual behavior (e.g., wearing a condom or not having sex) nor has it stopped the virus from spreading. Also, false positive test results (test results that say you have herpes when you do not actually have the virus) are possible. Even if you do not have symptoms, you should talk openly and honestly about your sexual history with your doctor to find out if you should be tested for any STDs, including herpes.

The sub 20% stats on it are probably extremely conservative as a standard std test doesn't even test for it.

There are literally hundreds of millions if not billions of people out there who wouldn't know they have it, aren't tested for it, and would tell you they don't have it. Probably about 99% of the people in this thread fall into this category whether you actually have it or not.

Last edited:

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
That blurb you posted says the answer is vaccines, not fear mongering. They're working on it. The CDC isn't even serious about preventing herpes by any other means than a vaccine and practicing safe sex in general, but they don't even recommend blood testing for either herpes strain.

Genital herpes is common. Why doesn't CDC recommend testing everyone for this STD?
CDC does not recommend herpes testing for people without symptoms. This is because diagnosing genital herpes in someone without symptoms has not shown any change in their sexual behavior (e.g., wearing a condom or not having sex) nor has it stopped the virus from spreading. Also, false positive test results (test results that say you have herpes when you do not actually have the virus) are possible. Even if you do not have symptoms, you should talk openly and honestly about your sexual history with your doctor to find out if you should be tested for any STDs, including herpes.

It's actually possible to test negative in an STD test, if you are not breaking out. I don't think it's even in the standard STD panel, you've got to ask for it specifically.

rambis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Who the fuck is fearmongering?

You read vaccines but skipped this part? Literally in the same sentence? Did you skip the article about STDs at an all time high as well?

It will benefit public health worldwide by reducing HSV-1 infection in human beings,

It will benefit public health worldwide by reducing HSV-1 infection in human beings

It will benefit public health worldwide by reducing HSV-1 infection in human beings