• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I've heard a lot of people discuss how strange the disconnect it would be to remake Resident Evil 4 after Capcom's amazing spree of purely horror focused Resident Evil titles. I consider Resident Evil 4 to be an almost perfect game. As an action-horror game, I love it. If the other Action Resident Evil titles were like it I would have much less issues with Action Resident Evil. ( Luckily, Dead Space 1 and 2 are really great spiritual successors to the game) Since it's already almost perfect, I think it would be a really cool idea to take the idea that 2 was re imagining even further, and base it on the in-development version of Rezi4, the now infamous Hookman and all of it's interactions.

lewa23-resident-evil-3-dot--1-211c0b53-6flg.jpg

bio04.jpg

082C579DB3E52620AA1A366D107B9E6BF8A39C0F

Long story short, Resident Evil 4 was far more horror focused. And the theme of the story was Leon slowly going crazy and beginning to hallucinate all this horrifying shit (some aspects of this were actually used in 7). It would be about investigating the original Virus that Umbrella discovered, and alot of other obscure backstory. It was to involve Chris, Sherry, and Claire too. Resident Evil 4 would abandon alot of this, due to both how the tech at the time would never get close to being able to what they wanted to do, and the fact the horror formula was considered to be "growing stale" by Capcom. The game we got was amazing, but it was a lot less connected to the Resident Evil Series then the original envisioning in my opinion. Nonetheless, "Hookman" has remained in the minds of Resident Evil fans as a "What could have been?", and there's even been a fan project to create a tech demo based on it's concept.

If they wanted to connect more to Remake2 (and 3 from what has been leaked/rumored), then this style could potentially be amazing.

Ariesfirebomb

Jul 3, 2018
Minneapolis
I think about this version of the game whenever resident evil is brought up. Honestly I would LIVE for a version like this. I doubt they would ever do it though.

NIV093

May 31, 2019
I think RE7 and these Remakes should just be in a new timeline . I don't think 4 needs to be rebooted into this or they need to be restricted by the canon of 5 and 6. I would love if they straight up made a new resident evil based on 3.5.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
To subvert expectations I think it would be insane if they did R4make in tank controls and fixed camera angles

Just kidding

But I actually do want that

MerluzaSamus

Dec 3, 2018
Considering Silent Hill is pretty much dead... Yeah, I wouldn't mind having a psychological/ghost horror RE game.

Dec 15, 2017
Yes!! I'd love to live in a timeline where RE4 never happened so traditional survival horror would be still afloat

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Sure, if it´s a non-canon side project. These 2 versions, one became Haunting Ground (6/10), and DMC 1 aren´t the only abandoned versions of RE4. There was also a game with zombies that was never shown to the public right before the final version was commissioned. It doesn´t even exist in the form of publicly available concept art. I wonder if CVX Freak´s book can shed light on it.

PS: The other of these 2 versions was repurposed a bit for RE5. For Lost in Nightmares and for the 3 Uroboros bosses. Capcom never leaves food on the table.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Does RE have the most success with versions of old RE games that just never ended up existing?

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
That version was scrapped for a reason, the spooky mansion is generic as hell & only interesting because it's a "what could have been" scenario. Any of it's good ideas were moved into DMC & Haunting Ground.
There is a ton of games that were way more interesting in earlier versions like Versus XIII & Half Life 2, but everyone seems to focus on RE4's beta for some reason, i just don't get why people think haunted house is exciting.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The canon is hot garbage at this point so I say just get real weird with it.

Wasn't there some early concept too where like he was the host of something vaguely Venom like? Throw that shit in there too.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
They could should a RE4A (Alternative), make a new timeline and go all in with the beta.
God knows RE4 doesn't need another port.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They could have went with a new IP I think. A psychological horror by Capcom would have been interesting, though I guess that's essentially what Haunting Ground was.

GonXtreme

Dec 13, 2017
Moscow
One day I will learn how to code for the Gamecube and will make this game for all the players out there.

PD: There will be a Dreamcast port too, with extra modes.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather a new game than turn RE4 into something its not. After 3, I hope we see a new game in the style of RE2 remake.
Yes!! I'd love to live in a timeline where RE4 never happened so traditional survival horror would be still afloat
There was a reason Capcom changed the formula so much for RE4. Those games weren't selling well enough at the time. In fact, I think we can thank RE4 and it's similar action games for selling so damn well that it allowed Capcom to take a risk with RE7 and the indie games that proved there was money to be made again with survival horror.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I think RE7 and these Remakes should just be in a new timeline . I don't think 4 needs to be rebooted into this or they need to be restricted by the canon of 5 and 6. I would love if they straight up made a new resident evil based on 3.5.
I have sometimes imagined an RE5 where the original tease ("Jill dies") is the subject of the actual game. Where like, after the RE5 prologue, instead of Wesker turning her into a mind-controller supersoldier, he decides to get revenge by infecting her with a new virus strain and the whole game is Jill succumbing to it as she's trying to find a way to escape the facility.

Deleted member 61002

Banned
Nov 1, 2019
Resident Evil 4's legacy is that of a groundbreakiing action horror title that changed the industry for the proceeding 14 years and counting. Changing it to pure horror just because some fans don't like action RE would literally make me not buy the game. If you are going to change the game design to the very core, why remake it and not just make a new game?

In that timeline Resident Evil died because of poor sales. Mikami, the creator of the franchise, has said this several times.

Nov 9, 2017
While I'd love to see a R4make.....given the fact that the game is STILL being released on current gen consoles.....probably won't happen.

And if they did - the 3.5 thing, while it sounds like an awesome idea...given the success of RE2 Remake.....it probably would be more like that.

HOWEVER - since we are dreaming -I'd LOVE R4make more like RE2 2019 - limited items, slower movement, much more....tension when turning a corner. RE4 was a pure action game - give it the RE2 window dressing but put the tension and suspense back into the game....

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see a point in remaking RE4 other than Shadow of the Colossus style. So no I do not want that.

Unless you mean a whole new game is made out of the concepts. A revelations 3 game would work well with this.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
At best they could maybe add a Lisa Trevor like expansion. In the castle the Las Plagas infection in Leon could have added effects where some psychological/horror elements are added. The Hoolman could appear in some specific areas during the castle sequence. However, I doubt they would.

An entirely new game on the concept would be interesting though.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
I would be pretty disappointed if they just remade RE4 in the exact same manner as the current RE4, I say get crazy with it, make a proper survival horror game out of it, shake up the formula, take some risks. Classic RE4 isn't going anywhere.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
This is just my opinion, but I feel there's only two ways they should remake Resident Evil 4:

Way 1: Bluepoint Shadow of the Colossus style remake, where they try to keep the original game intact but with modern graphics, some modern ease of use functions. Maybe they can add a few things, but try to retain it. The problem here is while I do think a good game can come out of a reimagined RE4, RE4 is such a classic that there's a very real possibility if they change it too much they could make it worse. The one area I think they could get away with is changing the Island up more, keeping the best moments but being more open to redesigning aspects of it.

However, Way 1 is not my preferred way. My preferred way is in-line with this topic:

Way 2: Instead of trying to face RE4 in it's own turf, try a very different version of RE4. I do think an RE4 that tried to reimagine the whole experience as more of a horror game ala' REmake 2, not entirely removing the action but really amplifying the horror aspect, could introduce a very different but possibly very good take on an alternate RE4. I do think RE4's Village setting and Castle in particular and some of the monsters have serious survival-horror potential if tuned and reimagined correctly.

Remaking it isn't off the table as an eventuality for them, so I am curious how they may tackle it and I'm sure there will be huge internal debates about direction with it. They can try to do it as a reimagining, but if they go that route they have a much harder uphill battle to win there for certain as one of RE4's biggest strengths is it's such a varied and well designed and paced game that's perfectly built around its mechanics.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I either want normal RE4 remade or nothing. That game is perfection and shouldnt be touched.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
All I want to do is buy what ever poor soul at Capcom that has to direct the inevitable RE4 remake a drink one day. Cause they are gonna need it if they are tasked with remaking this game.

Dec 20, 2017
To subvert expectations I think it would be insane if they did R4make in tank controls and fixed camera angles

Just kidding

But I actually do want that
Honestly I would like nothing more than a R4make with tank controls/fixed camera angles. Or just any new RE with fixed camera angles.
Or really just a survival horror game with fixed camera angles.

Why did we get rid of them? Not being able to look around is a thousand times scarier than the first person.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
This is just my opinion, but I feel there's only two ways they should remake Resident Evil 4:

Way 1: Bluepoint Shadow of the Colossus style remake, where they try to keep the original game intact but with modern graphics, some modern ease of use functions. Maybe they can add a few things, but try to retain it. The problem here is while I do think a good game can come out of a reimagined RE4, RE4 is such a classic that there's a very real possibility if they change it too much they could make it worse. The one area I think they could get away with is changing the Island up more, keeping the best moments but being more open to redesigning aspects of it.

However, Way 1 is not my preferred way. My preferred way is in-line with this topic:

Way 2: Instead of trying to face RE4 in it's own turf, try a very different version of RE4. I do think an RE4 that tried to reimagine the whole experience as more of a horror game ala' REmake 2, not entirely removing the action but really amplifying the horror aspect, could introduce a very different but possibly very good take on an alternate RE4. I do think RE4's Village setting and Castle in particular and some of the monsters have serious survival-horror potential if tuned and reimagined correctly.

Remaking it isn't off the table as an eventuality for them, so I am curious how they may tackle it and I'm sure there will be huge internal debates about direction with it. They can try to do it as a reimagining, but if they go that route they have a much harder uphill battle to win there for certain as one of RE4's biggest strengths is it's such a varied and well designed and paced game that's perfectly built around its mechanics.
People who lives RE4 are now very different than the people who likes classic RE. This will never go well

Jun 23, 2019
If Capcom remade RE4 in the same style as RE2make, I'd never talk shit about that game again. It's just such a slog to play through nowadays especially after how amazing RE2make was.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't mind, but I also probably wouldn't play it.

I'd kill for a proper remake of 4 though, with enhanced movement mechanics and controls.

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018
That would be awesome. As good as shooter RE4 is, it's also a terrible Resident Evil.

Deleted member 11182

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like paranormal/spiritual elements in horror and I don't like overt, excess gore either. Psychological thriller with subtle touches of horror is how I like my RE. But I am intrigued by the idea of further exploring the village setting of RE4.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to get a collection of beta releases from Capcom - RE 1.5, 3.5 etc. Much of their cut content/scrapped games interest me loads, can't help but wonder how much was left on the cutting room floor. I'd love a RE4 Hook guy edition. But most importantly...

Just give us Leon's original coat in 4K.
This, its a wonderful coat.

Dec 15, 2017
There was a reason Capcom changed the formula so much for RE4. Those games weren't selling well enough at the time. In fact, I think we can thank RE4 and it's similar action games for selling so damn well that it allowed Capcom to take a risk with RE7 and the indie games that proved there was money to be made again with survival horror.

In that timeline Resident Evil died because of poor sales. Mikami, the creator of the franchise, has said this several times.

ReMake and RE0 were Gamecube exclusives vs RE4, a game that was ported to every platform under the sun. One of the greatest ACTION games of all time no doubt. I just hated the fact that traditional survival horror had to die since that game was successful. It's time for the genre to return, and 1st person hide simulators don't cut it. R2Make was a step in the right direction, but throw us old time fans a bone with a fixed camera, tank controlled pre rendered background game now.

Deleted member 54073

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
I think they should stop doing remakes once they've finished 3. No real need to remake 4, it's glorious as it is and 3 is the last of the fixed camera pre-rendered background games anyway.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I think they should stop doing remakes once they've finished 3. No real need to remake 4, it's glorious as it is and 3 is the last of the fixed camera pre-rendered background games anyway.
I wouldn't mind a CV remake. Reading about what RE5 could have been... I wouldn't say no to getting RE4.5 based on its original concept instead of a remake of 5 for sure.

Dark_Chris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Czech republic
I'm all for a change. RE4 groundbreaking back then, but it's nothing special now.

Potential remake will hopefully be bold and do some heavy changes just like RE2make did. After all its not like the original RE4 is going away.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

Give me the second option as a next-gen game, with a new 2160p60 port of RE4 with all the HD Project textures and modelling upgrades.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
You can't remake something which doesn't need remaking. Just make pre-Mikami RE4 as a sidestory? Though I don't think a game with a fixed camera is all that popular nowadays. RE4 is already a modern game, bar the controls, which are changed for the HD versions anyway. Turning it into a old school RE with fixed camera is kinda backwards.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I don't think it's in the spirit of RE to go deep or do a psychological horror.

All RE games in the end have been about overcoming the dread until you're a Rambo, guns blazing rock star that kills the big mofo monster at the end with a rocket to the face before escaping the setting as it blows up behind you.

Sorry if you were expecting everything else but this is what RE came to be. I also don't think it would be maturation to go psychological and deepen the narrative. It would be abandonment.

Even the writer that worked on Castle said he actually didn't have a larger idea than what was shown in the demo and considered it a failure because the rest of the team got frustrated with his lack of vision or thorough thought.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Fuck yes! I always liked what we saw of that game way more than I liked what got in RE4. They could change the camera system to match that of the RE2 remake if they wanted to but keep the premise and atmosphere of 3.5.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Nahh, leave RE4 alone. Capcom used quite a few ideas from RE 3.5 in Haunting Ground, a game many people slept on and never got sequel. It was pure survival-horror experience.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
i crave this more than i can say.

but realistically, dont remake 4, there's no real point to it. give the remakes their own kinda "alternate timeline" and make 3.5 its own sort of title with a new protagonist with the canned narrative, which i still find more interesting on the surface than what we got in 4 and still would love to see it.

also, as much as i loved 4, ill never forgive it for being the spark that started the fire resulting in 5 and 6. 7 is a nice return to form and all, but even though i recognize its outdated and probably a non-seller i miss the fixed-camera and tank controls (although the RE2make engine suits me just fine).

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just realised after we get Remake 3 that some sort of remake of 4 could happen, exciting times.