• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which would you prefer?

• Remaster of Paper Mario

Votes: 158 32.4%
  • Remaster of Paper Mario The Thousand-Year Door

Votes: 330 67.6%

• Total voters

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
6e3.jpg

The first two Paper Mario games are fantastic. I love them both dearly.

If I had to choose between a remaster or remake of either, I think I'd go with the original, as much as I think TTYD is a better game. I think the first game has more to gain in the audio-visual department. Not only that, but if Nintendo wants to introduce the proper games to a new generation, they might as well start with the first one, and then follow-up with TTYD some time later.

Outside of the audio and the visuals, I would very much like for Paper Mario to have its combat upgraded to get the audience from TTYD. I thought that mechanic was super cool and added style and atmosphere to the game. It would work perfectly in the first game as well.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I choose TTYD between the 2 BUT I would rather have a Super Mario Rpg again and should've been included on the poll

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
whynotboth.gif. Nintendo greenlit two Mario & Luigi remakes.

In any case I'd start with the first one. TTYD is the better game of course.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I want to pick both. Put em in a collection.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Would prefer Thousand Year Door, but don't think either game needs one. They still look gorgeous.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Would rather have a new game since I think both still hold up fine.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
TTYD is one of my top 5 favorite games of all time, so I voted for that.

But the OP point about the 64 game having more to gain from a remake is true.

I just need to track down a copy of TTYD. Been itching to play it for months lol.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
The first game is more recently accessible on Virtual Console for Wii and Wii U. TTYD is still totally stuck on the GameCube. So, that. (Also it's the better game)

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Depends on the remaster. Is it just 100% the same game, looking a bit nicer? TTYD.
Is it getting the Resident Evil 2 treatment? Then gimme the first one, that one needs it more.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
TTYD has practically already been remastered with emulator HD texture packs. Better than an actual remaster would do for that matter.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
TTYD is Paper Mario 1 with more depth and more imaginary worlds, it's hard to choose 1. I will always find 2 way more replayable.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I guess TTYD because it's never been rereleased, even though I prefer the first game.

Both games are fantastic though and don't need much, if any, tweaking.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
TTYD by a long shot, it's way easier to play the first game through Virtual Console than it is get a GameCube and a copy of TTYD.

plan9

Nov 22, 2017
Still haven't finished the first one, and although TTYD is one of the Gamecube greats I'm gonna say the OG Paper Mario for that reason (and the N64 art needs a facelift more urgently). But preferably both of course! Paper Mario 1&2 collection leading to a new entry would be fantastic.

OneSneakyBob

Nov 19, 2019
Please don't make me choose between my children!

But in all seriousness, if one had to be remastered, TYD would probably make the most sense. Bowser not being the villain, alone, would likely be a selling point for those who played a variety of Mario games but none of the Paper games. Helps that it's extremely standalone too, story wise.

But Paper Mario 64 would be a more than welcomed choice as well, as it's incredibly fun and charming.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
The first Paper Mario probably has the most to gain from a remaster, but TTYD is my favorite, so I picked that. A few suggestions:

- Give Mario his spin dash maneuver from the first game (why did they remove this?)
- Maybe cut down on the back-tracking
- Prince Mush boss fight?
- Bring back trans Vivian

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Paper Mario 1. At least if you're asking what should have a remaster *first* cause I'm not averse to saying both could use it.

Though unlike most people, I prefer the original Paper Mario to TTYD anyways

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Paper Mario 1. Thousand-Year Door's backtracking really needs a full-on remake to fix, whereas the first game's problems aren't as difficult to solve.

Edit: Oh, and Paper Mario 1 is the better game.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2019
Paper Mario 1, unless they manage to make TTYD a game that doesn't piggyback on PM as much as it does.

Also fix that godawful backtracking

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
TTYD is (imo) one of Nintendo's very best games, whereas Paper Mario 1 is just decent. TTYD deserves to be brought to a modern audience far more.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
You know it's down bad when you have to fantasize about a remaster because you'll never get that good shit from Nintendo again.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
A remake of the first three Paper Mario games would be great. 1 is easily the most polished and best aged N64 game, TTYD is a masterpiece that more people should experience, and Super Paper Mario is an incredibly well written and fun game that goes greatly underappreciated these days.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
New game, I do not want reamsters. If I am forced to pick one, Thousand Year Door because it is the significantly better game. But seriously, no more ports, remasters and remakes.

Villa

Oct 28, 2017
The original Paper Mario is my favourite game of all time, so that one. Both would be cool though.

Deleted member 3040

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I prefer the original. But really, I think a new game would be better. If TTYD got a remaster, I wonder if people would be less forgiving of the linear corridors and backtracking.

A_Jazzy_Book

Oct 27, 2017
If forced to choose...the first, primarily. As you said, I feel it would benefit from it more, especially in the presentation department. Not opposed to the second one though, if only to really cut back on the backtracking and rework the corridor-esque level design, though that's more remake territory.

Ultimately though, yeah, new game improving on both.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Remaster of the N64 one and virtual console emulation with high resolution rendering for the GameCube one seems like the logical answer.

TheWill

Sep 24, 2018
I voted TTYD because it's the better game, however in retrospect it doesn't need a remaster whilst the first would benefit greatly, especially with an expansion of the partners stories (other than Goombario/Bow, the rest could use extra screentime).

BigTime_2018

Dec 31, 2018
It's true that the original would have more to gain from a remaster, but I voted Thousand Year Door.

Despite being the more iconic of the two, it's a lot less accessible, due to only having an official release on the GameCube. Also, as someone who first played the original after Thousand Year Door, I found the original to be underwhelming. (Admittedly, I didn't play much of it. Maybe it gets better.)

Finally, Thousand Year Door is one of my favorite games of all time, so I really just want a way to play it on Switch haha.

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
I think I prefer the original. But really, I think a new game would be better. If TTYD got a remaster, I wonder if people would be less forgiving of the linear corridors and backtracking.

Ha, this literally happened to me when I replayed both back to back this summer. 64 has a great pace whereas TTYD is often a fucking slog. TTYD defintely sank a lot in my estimation. Shows have incredible production values can cover up wobbly game design for a lot of people.