• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What would you rather have mastered?

• Spoken

Votes: 121 82.3%
  • Written

Votes: 26 17.7%

• Total voters

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
If you had a chance to be able to be fluent in every language, would you prefer that you would be able to speak and listen fluently, or to be able to read and write fluently?

What are your reasons?

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Spoken. Easily.
For a very simple, practical reason as well. I could communicate with people.

Typographenia

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Spoken for me. Being able to have conversations beyond a fragmented, child-like level with my in-laws would be amazing.
Been practicing for a while, and still have a long way to go.

Reading and writing would be great, but the family makes me lean spoken.

Illenium

Aug 7, 2019
Spoken for sure. Even if I can't read something in a different country, google can translate it ... but even then, I can always ask someone native to help.

Being multilingual, it's definitely much more better for me personally to be able to speak Chinese rather than read it.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I chuckled at the current poll results.

Yeah, spoken. It would be a shame to not be literate as well, but I think being able to converse with people would be more satisfying if I had to choose between the two.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I mean, if I'm fluent in speaking every language, but I just don't know rules of grammar / spelling to be able to read and write, it feels like that's easier to learn than if I know how to read and write in every language but have absolutely no concept of pronouncing the words correctly. So if you could already speak it, it wouldn't be terribly difficult to learn to do the other. Or does the question pre-suppose that I will never be able to learn to read and write fluently in spite of being able to speak? Either way, spoken all day.

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
Spoken and it's not even close. Being able to read and write a language you can't speak in is fucking terrible from experience.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spoken,
Writing is cool, but we learn to interact with people, and definitively interacting in person is better than the other ways.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Eh I'd rather written so I could accurately translate historical records. Reading and writing would be just as handy although admittedly cumbersome.

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
I already talk as little as I humanely could anyway and having the entire human literature accessible me is way more attractive to me.

Written language for sure.
Plus I always have a harder time learning the written part of language, at least you could somewhat force yourself to adapt with a new spoken language if you do full immersion but texts hurts my brain.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
I haven't decided just yet, but let me be clear here-- written would include... DEAD LANGUAGES, right? Like, I could just read a Paleo-Hebrew manuscript and get the original intent? I could read the Voynich manuscript just like that? I'd just know Linear A?

Because Option 1 seems like a great way to tour the world. Option 2 seems like a great way to just... find the secret wisdom and history of the world.

i_am_ben

Oct 27, 2017
Written.

Just get one of those text to spoken word apps and then you can communicate easily

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Spoken. There are very few times where you won't be able to learn a written language at your own pace but it's incredibly embarrassing when you're trying to speak another language and you keep having to pause to remember the word

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Spoken. There are very few times where you won't be able to learn a written language at your own pace but it's incredibly embarrassing when you're trying to speak another language and you keep having to pause to remember the word
Well, that's the thing, isn't it-- what if there's nobody there to teach you the written language in question? In that case, the written thing gives you something that literally nobody else could.

The spoken has an equivalent in near-dead primarily spoken indigenous languages, which would be a major boon for anthropologists. But holy hell, imagine if the written one extends back into the past. A) You'd be in high demand, thanks to a peerless ability to translate manuscripts, and B) you'd know things nobody else could know. You'd know Linear A, you'd know Paleo-Hebrew, you'd know what the Voynich manuscript says, all dead away. "Written language" might also encompass cyphers-- substitution cyphers particularly, since they retain the linguistic structures but change the characters around.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
The question makes little sense to me, if you can read/write a language then you would be able to speak it fluently. Unless you have some physical defect in this scenario?

SGJin

Feb 23, 2018
Programming and machine languages count right? If so written no contest.
I would be able to make the craziest programs / games / apps for every possible hardware.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I haven't decided just yet, but let me be clear here-- written would include... DEAD LANGUAGES, right? Like, I could just read a Paleo-Hebrew manuscript and get the original intent? I could read the Voynich manuscript just like that? I'd just know Linear A?

Because Option 1 seems like a great way to tour the world. Option 2 seems like a great way to just... find the secret wisdom and history of the world.
That's what I based my answer on. I think programming language would also count.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
I would be able to make the craziest programs / games / apps for every possible hardware.
Holy shit, if programming is involved... that'd be fucking something, wouldn't it. I mean, I thought I was thinking big with the "dead languages" stuff, but with programming... Now THAT is a galaxy brain take.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well, that's the thing, isn't it-- what if there's nobody there to teach you the written language in question? In that case, the written thing gives you something that literally nobody else could.

The spoken has an equivalent in near-dead primarily spoken indigenous languages, which would be a major boon for anthropologists. But holy hell, imagine if the written one extends back into the past. A) You'd be in high demand, thanks to a peerless ability to translate manuscripts, and B) you'd know things nobody else could know. You'd know Linear A, you'd know Paleo-Hebrew, you'd know what the Voynich manuscript says, all dead away. "Written language" might also encompass cyphers-- substitution cyphers particularly, since they retain the linguistic structures but change the characters around.

Milo wouldn't have made it very far in Atlantis if he didn't speak Atlantean but he was able to work out the written part of it on his own. But at the same time he was super useful, so *shrug*

This, however, changes everything

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I went with written language because imagine if humanity colonized a world that was once inhabited by a dead alien race and you discovered you could read the alien language and they built some kind of superweapon that could be used to overthrow the tyrannical government under which you live

This sounds like the plot of an exciting young adult sci-fi novel

This is definitely not a plug for the book I'm writing for NaNoWriMo

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Milo wouldn't have made it very far in Atlantis if he didn't speak Atlantean but he was able to work out the written part of it on his own

Phonetic pronunciation keys like the International Pronunciation Alphabet are also written language though! You have a tremendous leg up on learning currently spoken languages!

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Spoken language will die, but written language will last a lot longer

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Phonetic pronunciation keys like the International Pronunciation Alphabet are also written language though! You have a tremendous leg up on learning currently spoken languages!
This is more of an everyday practicality vs cool shit thing. I don't have a ton of use for knowing a written dead language but I could go Indiana Jones adventuring with it which might be pretty cool. On the other hand, in the business/political world, being able to speak all the languages would be great for a job.

Otherwise I would've retained my knowledge of being able to read Hieroglyphics, lol

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I can understand being a fluent speaker but not a fluent reader but how can the reverse work? Never had any personal experience like that.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
This is more of an everyday practicality vs cool shit thing. I don't have a ton of use for knowing a written dead language but I could go Indiana Jones adventuring with it which might be pretty cool. On the other hand, in the business/political world, being able to speak all the languages would be great for a job.
I'm actually thinking of direct practicality as well. You could easily become a translator or localizer, which is something you can start from home. If you had nothing in life but literacy and this superpower, you'd already have a tremendous leg up in translation, history, and programming.
I can understand being a fluent speaker but not a fluent reader but how can the reverse work? Never had any personal experience like that.
Latin is the classic example. You can kinda sound out the words, but you realize that if a Roman actually heard your pronunciation it'd basically be like that one scene in Inglorious Basterds where Brad Pitt says he can speak Italian. You could recognize vowels but the intonations would be lost on you.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually thinking of direct practicality as well. You could easily become a translator or localizer, which is something you can start from home. If you had nothing in life but literacy and this superpower, you'd already have a tremendous leg up in translation, history, and programming.
Factoring in programming is definitely a leg up, yeah. When I read the prompt I assumed we were going on currently used human languages

robot

Oct 27, 2017
It would be easier I think to learn spoken from written than the other way around, so I chose that.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's the secret, isn't it-- programming languages are currently used human languages, by any standard!
Eh, more human to machine and machine to machine. Programming languages as we know them are made so that humans can read them more easily. If you whittle it down to what the machine actually sees it's actually a lot different

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
The question makes little sense to me, if you can read/write a language then you would be able to speak it fluently. Unless you have some physical defect in this scenario?

Well, no. There are plenty of second generation immigrants that can understand their parents and can maybe read but when it comes to speaking it's a game of translating everything in your head you from English into another language leading to slow and disjointed speaking.

It's pretty common.

Something that OP ignored is that you can read phonetically but have a poor understanding which is the only way this makes sense in real life.

CarpeDeezNutz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, that curve ball of programming languages.

I stand by my first choice of spoken though, I feel like I have a superpower when I can understand people speaking Spanish when I am with Non-Spanish speaking people.

Edit. Yep to the poster above me, that's me pretty much.

Think of someone saying "I talk English real good" with a straight face.