• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which one?

• Language

Votes: 576 62.5%
  • Instrument

Votes: 346 37.5%

• Total voters

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Why would I wanna be fluent in all languages when globalism means everyone of any political or business importance in other countries has to be able to speak English anyway?

joke post pls no ban me

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Does it include all dead languages too? What does "fluent" mean? On the level of a native speaker?
And if programming languages are counted, then I'd really want to know what "fluent" means. Some equivalent number of years experience with it?

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Language. That would be so incredible for nearly any career and when traveling. So much media opens up to you as well, from games to books to movies.

FenninRo

alt account
Banned
Nov 13, 2019
Languages for sure! You would be such an incredibly useful person and have the ability to really go anywhere in the world. It would be amazing.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Instruments, because the language of music is universal!
(I actually just want to make a fuckload of money composing insane stuff)

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Language would be awesome. I can continue to learn my instruments from masters around the world!

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Language sounds more practical, but the music one would be fucking awesome. Either one would open crazy doors in life so you'd be set either way.

Deleted member 32563

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Language is cool. Already fluent in 3 and understand a bit of Spanish.

Now every musical instrument whew that's something and concert level. I'd make my Pops proud. If it's a wind instrument he can play it. Been a professional musician his whole life.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
That's actually a really hard choice. In the end I'd choose languages, because for musical instruments there's a part of me that would want to earn that through years of practice, rather than getting it just like that. Although even typing that out makes me doubt it.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Easily language. Can't imagine the amount of money I could ask for to interpret every single language.

Apr 24, 2018
I feel like being fluent in all languages would be a near guarantee of a high paying job. Instruments...no such guarantees, imo. So I pick languages.

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Instruments, definitely. I feel that, with enough time, I can learn a new language proficiently enough.
But play an instrument at "concert levels"? With my shitty coordination? Unthinkable.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I feel like being fluent in all languages would be a near guarantee of a high paying job. Instruments...no such guarantees, imo. So I pick languages.
Like what job ? Not more than a world class musician imo. Google translate will make languages obsolete I'm thinking . There's tons of people in Europe who speak 3-5 languages it doesn't really get you a specific job

Apr 24, 2018
Like what job ? Not more than a world class musician imo. Google translate will make languages obsolete I'm thinking . There's tons of people in Europe who speak 3-5 languages it doesn't really get you a specific job
I'd think a lot of places that conduct international businesses would highly value someone fluent in all languages, even in a non-official translator capacity. And I'd imagine translator roles at high levels (like the CIA) would really value this skillset. I guess for musicians, I'm thinking of the other end of the musical spectrum where a lot of people with great musical talent never "make it big" and not like a person who performs regularly at a place like Carnegie Hall.

Edit: That's interesting about Europe. I'm not sure how meaningful it is, but on a lot of job applications these days, they always ask what other languages a person can speak besides English (I'm US-based).

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Instruments is more valuable imo. Phones can already translate and they're just going to get better at it.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I'd think a lot of places that conduct international businesses would highly value someone fluent in all languages, even in a non-official translator. And I'd imagine translator roles at high levels (like the CIA) would really value this skillset. I guess for musicians, I'm thinking of the other end of the musical spectrum where a lot of people with great musical talent never "make it big" and not like a person who performs regularly at a place like Carnegie Hall.
Yeah I agree but you just listed some very skilled jobs op didn't say you would also be an mba or qualify as cia. There's alot more to those jobs than just knowing languages. My dad speaks like 5 and he never had any opportunity from it he was a forestry worker

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Being able to pick up and play any instrument sounds really fun and would make you a real hit at parties. And I've always wanted to be a rock star.

Speaking multiple languages would be more practical for travel and certain career paths but thanks to globalization 1 in 5 people speak English anyway.

I don't know, both would be great, but I already have more than enough people to talk to for one lifetime. Unbridled musical talent for this monolinguist.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
just make music 24/7 and sell it

do you really want to just be able to talk to everyone on the planet? maybe translation and info exchange could be worth it, but fuck conversational bs lol.
i'd only pick the language one to try to build a large international coalition for something, but even that's iffy as fuck because it depends so much on humanity not sucking.

Apr 24, 2018
Yeah I agree but you just listed some very skilled jobs op didn't say you would also be an mba or qualify as cia. There's alot more to those jobs than just knowing languages. My dad speaks like 5 and he never had any opportunity from it he was a forestry worker
True, I guess that's just where my mind just gravitated towards naturally. Luck is as big a factor as anything. I know many years ago, the industry that I want to work in (investment related finance) hired a fair number of people with completely unrelated majors (such as art history). These days, without connections, that seems very difficult to achieve.

I'm sorry your father never got that opportunity (assuming he wanted it) - 5 languages is incredibly impressive, though! I know in one of my father's first jobs, he was a Phd in Chemical Engineering working with people (and getting paid the same, basically) as people who were just completing their undergraduate. Fortunately for him, his company recognized his talent and promoted him to a managerial position within a year. -

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm more likely to bank and be rich on YouTube being a master of every instrument than every language. That said I do sub to a polygot who has a lot of subs. Though I suspect it's more because he's "a scary looking black man who surprised unsuspecting old Asian people with his skills" (what most of his videos are titled) So he's playing up stereotypes.

There's way more chance to kill it there being able to crush every instrument.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I personally would use the instrument power more than the language one so I'd have to go for that. Unfortunately I don't get to travel that often. These are both like two wishes out of my three though.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Music because playing music is fulfilling and enjoyable. I'm not very likely to converse with random strangers even globally.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All instruments? Sign me up.

I'm gonna trade this life
For fortune and fame
I'd even cut my hair
And change my name

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
I'm amused by all the people who chose an instrument. You already speak a language and can't write for shit, what makes you think you'll be a rockstar?

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
True, I guess that's just where my mind just gravitated towards naturally. Luck is as big a factor as anything. I know many years ago, the industry that I want to work in (investment related finance) hired a fair number of people with completely unrelated majors (such as art history). These days, without connections, that seems very difficult to achieve.

I'm sorry your father never got that opportunity (assuming he wanted it) - 5 languages is incredibly impressive, though! I know in one of my father's first jobs, he was a Phd in Chemical Engineering working with people (and getting paid the same, basically) as people who were just completing their undergraduate. Fortunately for him, his company recognized his talent and promoted him to a managerial position within a year. -
Yeah I think your underlying assumption is correct though in that people with that much talent are bound to be very intelligent.
Re my dad he was very happy . Art major and accomplished painter turned hippie and forestry worker. He didn't want to do more he has always been content

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Honestly, I personally would use the instrument power more than the language one so I'd have to go for that. Unfortunately I don't get to travel that often. These are both like two wishes out of my three though.

Get that good at all instruments, and people around the world will be paying to see you. You'll get your travel in.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I've already got trombone, guitar, and bass down, and I'm well on my way to being passable at keys (which are connected to my orchestral libraries), so I'm going to have to go with language. Would be badass to know banjo though.