• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which one?

• Language

Votes: 576 62.5%
  • Instrument

Votes: 346 37.5%

• Total voters

grang

Nov 13, 2017
What I'd 100% want to do is music, but what I would 100% do is language and become a translator and make bank and learn music in my free time

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Music, that would be fun and beautiful.

We have a universal translator 1.0 and it'll just get better so why. If you know the basics of English and Spanish you can visit most places easily.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Instruments for sure, human translators are going to be obsolete much sooner than later, at least with the music side even if you're not creative you can still do very well. With the money made from music you can hire that translator.

Like, just technique? Or does it include knowing music theory too?
Being a professional, "concert level" musician for every instrument, I would hope so.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
Languages easily. It's probably the first thing I'd ask for if I could wish for anything. The ability to travel anywhere and truly immerse myself in the culture? To communicate with anyone? To read the world's best literature in its native language?

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
Tough call. I'm really interested in languages and linguistics, but I also live with daily regrets about not (seriously) pursuing an instrument from a young enough age to attempt to make a career or even side job of it.

The regret is making me lean team instruments even though the languages are easily more useful in a wider array of situations.

san00ake

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I already speak three languages that allow me to communicate with most people on this Earth.
I'd rather be able to play more instruments than just the guitar :)

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Instruments, then create a YouTube channel. Play the super Mario theme on every instrument in the lokal music store, earn millions.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Language. I work with a lot of different nationalities, so it would be great to be able to speak to everyone in their own language. Makes conversations more personal.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Instruments 100 times over. You can tour the world and pay for people to translate for you.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Shit, I'd just take the ability to play the theremin like a fuckin' maestro. Anything else like the dobro, accordion, bass clarinet, or digeridoo would just be icing on the cake.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Languages all day every day.
I can't play an instrument and I'm doing just fine but not being able to communicate with locals while on vacation can be a real struggle.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Instruments for sure. I'd then want to learn how to play 5 instruments at once.

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
Language seems harder and theres a honestly more stimulating aspect to that kind of mastery vs just playing instruments

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Instruments. I couldn't live without music, I can definitely live in my country forever though.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Language without a doubt. Would be so awesome to be able to speak the language where ever I went. Plus all the untranslated media you could now enjoy.

Oct 30, 2017
as someone who can play two instruments and speaks two languages, the answer is easily languages. hell, if i spoke every language in the world i'd have an easier job just finding people to produce and play the backing instruments for me.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Every language. If comic books have taught me anything, I'd instantly know how to fight and I'd be able to play the piano. Win win!

Dec 31, 2017
Being able to communicate with everyone fluently/perfectly would be fucking incredible. I mean imagine being able to speak English, Chinese, Arabic, German, Spanish, Urdu/Hindi, French fluently. That gives you access to like 80% of the planet.

As someone who's learning a new language as an adult, it's rather hard to get to a basic proficiency, let alone proper pronunciation/grammar. It's pretty damn difficult.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
There is literally no way to justify choosing instruments in this comparison. It's a nonsensical offering because every language is infinitely more valuable and knowing them all would be profoundly useful and life changing. Knowing more than three or four instruments is pointless in comparison to knowing three or four languages.

Instruments is the only anwser here, unless you dont have a soul.

Absolute nonsense. Knowing every language in the world opens up thousands of songs with lyrics to you. It would expand your musical knowledge and enjoyment potential exponentially. This isn't a comparison worth making. It's like asking would you like to be able to fly or be able to open any pickle jar on the first try?

Tanerian

Feb 24, 2018
I already don't like talking to people who speak my language. Why the hell would I want the ability to speak to even more people?

Instruments all the way.
Start up a Youtube Channel, and become the Piano man at some bar and live plenty comfy.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't expect so much people to go for language in the age of google trad and all. Give it a few years and we'll have AIs capable of translating anything on the go.

Music is the better choice in this case. No amount of programming or technology would replace that.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
The people I know who speak multiple languages and are successful aren't successful because they know multiple languages. They're successful because they have other skills. The languages are like a multiplier for your other skills. But if you don't have any other skills besides languages then you still don't have much in the end.

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
Instruments, but I'm kind of biased since I already am a musician, and being able to play anything professionally sounds awesome.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Language. Would make life so much easier and richer. I travel and read a lot, and language is the key to understanding a different culture