• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
Prison for me. You can commit the worst crime and still be fed, roofed and clothed. When you are homeless you have none of these.

It is patently absurd that people who have no money get no help whereas murderers and other villainy gets to enjoy our tax dollars.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah being brutalized by guards and assaulted/raped by other prisoners sure sounds fun.

What the fuck even is this thread?

SGRX

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather die of exposure alone in the wilderness than be locked in a cage.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Rather be homeless than in an American prison.

Now, if we're talking about one of those fancy European prisons ..

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather be free with hope of things changing(and actively trying to do better) than in prison knowing how my next few decades are planned out.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
why not start out as homeless and live your best life and then start murdering people and then get sent to prison then live your best life there.

Oct 26, 2017
The countries with the least brutal prison systems usually have the most support for homeless people as well, so I'd still rather be homeless in one of those countries.

johan

Oct 29, 2017
Prison for me. Roof, warmth, food, books, any video game console without networking capability. I can manage.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Homeless obviously. Being in prison means I broke the law which also means i'd get shit jobs when I got out (if I wasnt stabbed beforehand).

What a stupid question.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Homeless, and it isn't even close. Being on the street is absolutely a horrible, degrading experience, but you're also free to find a stray dog or cat to befriend so you can keep each other warm at night. You can't get something like that in prison. It's just you, the uncomfortable bed and the cold iron bars.

Oct 27, 2017
Æsop. (Sixth century B.C.) Fables.

The Dog and the Wolf

A Dog offered to help a Wolf get regular feed from his Master. The Wolf listened but saw a bald spot on Dog's neck where the collar sat. Goodbye said Wolf.

Better starve free than be a fat slave.

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
Homeless sounds way better to me, you have your freedom and there are programs and shelters that can ameliorate your situation somewhat, plus there's the hope of turning your situation around.

Prison sounds maddening even if you are taken care of.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Prison for me. You can commit the worst crime and still be fed, roofed and clothed. When you are homeless you have none of these.

It is patently absurd that people who have no money get no help whereas murderers and other villainy gets to enjoy our tax dollars.
in a perfect world, prisoners have it better than the homeless.

that is not the world we live in.

Tens of thousands of prison inmates are raped every year, that we know about. The incidents are likely very widely underreported:

Proper medical care for physical or mental illness is often not provided at all:

Drug abuse is rampant and as above, you're unlikely to get proper treatment for an existing addiction:

Homelessness is no picnic, but at least you get to go where your feet will carry you.

Tawantabe

Mar 20, 2019
If its american prison you are talking here they take everything from you, you'll possibly be told over and over again you arent your name, you are your number. The food is plastic bags of usually spoiled milk and unsalted boiled broccoli stocks and other things of that nature. If you die in custody with anyone that cares about you in your life they will have to fight to even maybe have the possibility of finding out what the hell happened.
So you might as well just best it in the woods, start many secret gardens and be merry. If you die itll be the same mystery to the family but atleast youd of been human.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Homeless. I'd rather live alone in the woods rather than being stuck in a room with some ther idiots. I need my tranquility, solitude and freedom much more than a roof over my head and some food in my belly.

That's not even a question.

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
Probably homeless. I'd set up an patreon to get me to a warm country. During that time I would study booshcraft and hunting to prepare myself for a new life.
I would set a few little business carving trinkets and making freshly caught food on beaches for tourists. All my money would go into setting up a bar where I would live.
Hopefully I would make enough money to survive and build a new home.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Homeless seems like objectively the better option. At least if I'm homeless I can work toward not being homeless and have freedom to move around as I want. In jail I'm just stuck.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Really stupid hypothetical tbh. Ask anyone who has been in jail even for just a week - worst thing ever.

Deleted member 9972

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This question seems flawed because if you choose homelessness you still theoretically have the choice to choose prison at any point, whereas with prison you're kind of stuck in prison regardless.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
depressing thread.

both are terrible, victimizing positions to be in with no protections and rights that can be ignored or not.
neither