• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

7 or 2R?

• Resident Evil VII

Votes: 310 29.9%
  • Resident Evil 2 Remake

Votes: 728 70.1%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
They still have plenty of ground to cover with 3rd person remakes of RE3 and Code Veronica. I don't care what they call it but there needs to be another new VR Resident Evil.

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
RE2 Remake was brilliant, but it's still a throwback. Dropping first-person and/or VR after one game would be a step backwards. I think those who like "classic" style RE can be served with a remake of 3 while the series continues to evolve in first-person with 8. In a perfect world, you'd be able to play it either way.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
This so much, why can't we have both.

RE7 fans will disagree though, they want everyone else to accept the first person experience and the 3rd person RE fans should just deal with it.

RE2 Remake is the best Resident Evil experience since REmake and RE4, but apparently RE7 fans disagree.

As opposed to the RE2 fans who want everyone else to accept the third person experience and the 1st person RE fans should just deal with it?

This is just getting funny.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
As opposed to the RE2 fans who want everyone else to accept the third person experience and the 1st person RE fans should just deal with it?

Like I said they could still make a spin off FPS RE series or a new FPS survival horror IP.

You are the only ones screaming ''First person RE needs to completely replace third person RE!!!!''

While all I'm saying is ''Resident Evil should stay third person while the RE7 fans can get their own franchise/spin offs.''

I guess ''MORE OPTIONS'' is only good when they align with your damn opinion.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I mean I know if Zelda suddenly became a first person game I'd probably be pissed.(yes I know that almost happened.)

I don't even like Metroid Prime.

I don't like First Person games and turning a previously third person series into one for a mainline game bothers me. These game were almost entirely third person tollbooth RE7. So one clearly has precedence.

If RE8 ends up first person fine I'll get over it. I just won't play it.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Surprised by the results! I enjoyed RE2 Remake, but RE7 was a much more interesting, exciting project in my mind.

Oct 28, 2017
Like I said they could still make a spin off FPS RE series or a new FPS survival horror IP.

You are the only ones screaming ''First person RE needs to completely replace third person RE!!!!''

While all I'm saying is ''Resident Evil should stay third person while the RE7 fans can get their own franchise/spin offs.''

How about we make third person the spinoff instead?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

While all I'm saying is ''RE should stay third person while the RE7 fans can get their own franchise/spin offs.''

Uh...

I never said First Person RE should completely replace third person RE. I'm sure you hope I had said that to make your argument stronger or something.

Your good at putting words in peoples mouth so I'll give you that. I never said options were a bad thing. Wanting RE8 and RE9 to be first person (therefore concluding a trilogy in that style) doesn't preclude other RE games from being third person. I want Rev 3 which would be like Rev 2, etc...

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How about we make third person the spinoff instead?

I mean, it's a 20+ year old franchise that has always been 3rd person with the exception of a couple spinoffs and 7.
I'd be ok with them doing a separate spin off again for first person or make a camera toggle, but RE7 was disappointing and the series really shouldn't turn into a first person series.

Furisco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Though it raises the question - what do they do when the time comes to remake Re4?
They shouldn't let you move while shooting in REmake 4 just like in the original but gamers would rise up if that happened.

RE7 style for RE8 and RE2 style for RE3.
Would be crazy if you changed to a classic character halfway through the campaign of RE8 and it became third person tho.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Neither poll option will work for RE8, and here's why:

For starters, consider the difference between T-Virus and Oroboros enemies. What is scarier to you? Horrific zombies shambling towards you, moaning, groaning, screaming, with their only function being to eat you alive.. or low-functioning people shouting obscenities at you in their native tongue, communicating with each other, and running straight at the barrel of your shotgun with pitchforks and dynamite, or shooting you with guns? Exactly.

REmake2's concept would not hold up to the newer, more advanced Oroboros enemies. Also, think about the reliance of closed corridors, and lack of melee self-defense options in REmake2's recipe for accomplishing truly horrifying levels of tension and fear.

Chris, Jill, Leon, Claire, and co. are far beyond the days of being trapped and helpless in confined spaces. They're suplexing their way across different countries and punching boulders in volcanos. If Capcom is to continue their stories, they're not doing it in REmake2 or RE7 style, and we can only hope that they choose a style closer to 5 than 6.

Leave the REmake2 gameplay (which I absolutely love) to the remakes and prequels, the co-op action gameplay to the sequels, and the first person Outlast-inspired experiments to spin-offs.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
Depends on the game they want to make. Resident Evil 7 was meant to be a bit more claustrophobic and for that, first person works great. The Resident Evil 2 remake is going for that late 90s horror movie vibe. We were also meant to see, as oppose to feel, the reactions to the events as they played out in the story. Third person lends itself to this more cinematic approach and works better in character driven stories.

For me, I always felt like the first person perspective gives me a 'this is my experience' vibe. VR only heightens that. Third person on the other hand was always like I was playing through instead of experiencing 'this character's story'.

If they are going back to an established character like Leon, Claire, Chris, Jill, etc. then third person makes the most sense. I want to see Chris, not be him. If they go with a more personal experience, where we are to be thrown into this nightmare, then first person makes the most sense to me.

Oct 28, 2017
RE8 going back to third person would be like RE5 going back to fixed camera angles. You don't follow up on a successful change to a formula by completely backtracking with the next game. That's stupid. If it fails, maybe yeah. But if it's a success you roll with it.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Back to Zombies and weird, unsettling labyrinthian designed estate. RE2 style slow paced tight corridor levels.

RE7 did not feel like RE at all, and i couldnt care less about VR. RE2 showed Capcom still has it, and scored much better the RE7, so they should stick with it.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
REmake2's concept would not hold up to the newer, more advanced Oroboros enemies.

Quite simple fix for this, scrap those shitty blobs. RE games introduce new enemies all the time, so this isnt a blocker for 8 following on from 2.. In fact i hope they do ignore them, the whole paranormal aspect in RE7 felt completely alien, yes i know the villain is a test experiment gone wrong, but framing it as the typical long-haired girl out to get you was so lazy.

Oct 28, 2017
RE8 ideally will take the best of both RE7 and RE2. RE7 had much higher highs than RE2. Better boss fights, set pieces and memorable moments, along with just more general intimacy to the action and scares due to the perspective. RE2 had better level design and was the more complex game with its more authentic classic approach to the exploration and puzzle solving. RE8 needs to mix it all together.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
RE7. I don't get the desire to homogenize the series. I want more styles of RE, not less. I'd hate for the mainline games to become as same-y as the fixed camera and RE4-UC eras were, outside of spin-offs. Variety please. Give me fixed camera survival horror and RE5-6 style action games too. Rebrand the Revelations sub-series as action games and give them more budget. The plot of RE6 was just (bad) fan service filler anyway, so the story doesn't have to be of consequence to the numbered sequels.

Last edited:

collige

Oct 31, 2017
The only issue I have with RE2R is the lack of VR, but I don't think having that necessicitates that the 2D version is in first person. I really just want the game to be better designed than RE7 was, which RE2R certainly it.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Why not option for both? I understand that playing in 3rd person may make it easier but giving the choice would be fine. For VR immersion you would want first person anyway.

Oct 28, 2017
The only issue I have with RE2R is the lack of VR, but I don't think having that necessicitates that the 2D version is in first person. I really just want the game to be better designed than RE7 was, which RE2R certainly it.
I don't understand why RE2 doesn't have VR. Games don't need to be first person to have good VR. My favourite VR experiences are third person games.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I don't understand why RE2 doesn't have VR. Games don't need to be first person to have good VR. My favourite VR experiences are third person games.
My guess would be that Sony paid a decent amount to help sponsor the PSVR version of 7 and Capcom doesn't realize how profitable the PCVR market can be/is. If they did do it, I would absolutely want a first person option with room scale though.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
I picked RE2R in the poll but now I'm having second thoughts.

I went back to REmake after completing RE2R, and it really highlights for me how much I miss a more puzzle-focused RE. Both perspectives could facilitate this, but investigating and paying attention to the environment might be more at home with a first person perspective.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Quite simple fix for this, scrap those shitty blobs. RE games introduce new enemies all the time, so this isnt a blocker for 8 following on from 2.. In fact i hope they do ignore them, the whole paranormal aspect in RE7 felt completely alien, yes i know the villain is a test experiment gone wrong, but framing it as the typical long-haired girl out to get you was so lazy.

The advanced virus outbreaks have escalated to a worldwide level. They can't just dial it back and magically devolve everything to T-Virus levels again. The enemies are advancing the mutations, and the protagonists are going after the enemies. It's the natural story progression that was hinted at as far back as RE2, and it can't be undone, nor should it be.

As the viruses have grown more threatening, so have our beloved protagonists, which is precisely why prequels and spin-offs are the perfect way to preserve the survival/horror element as the series continues to movie the main storyline along in a co-op action experience that can still provide some scares, chills and elements of horror if done right.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the RE2 FPS mods, just include FPS and 3PS options in future games. There's no need to make every game a single style simply because some people might have a preference. This either/or sentimentality is frankly outdated.

lowlifelenny

Oct 27, 2017
The entire plot of RE2 is outright wonky as hell.

Well, yes.

A deeply contrived excuse to have...

Story in RE is always a means to an end, that end being the game itself, its setting, and situations. And while RE2make arguably took away more than it added from a structural perspective, I think you're grossly underselling the characters this time round for some reason. We got to see a far more fleshed out Leon/Ada relationship than we ever have before. We got to see Claire emotionally invested in Sherry, and directly critical of Annette. Claire and Leon's awkward flirting is cute. Leon was more doggedly determined to do the right thing than ever, despite events around him spiralling far out of control. New Marvin was fantastic- stoic, tragic and heroic all in one.

It wasn't all great. The new Annette didn't work for me really, especially her last scene in Claire's scenario which I think was an unwise (and not at all earned) gear change for the character. The new Chief was drastically inferior to the old one, not outright bad per se, but a disappointment nonetheless, if only because the old one was so good. I liked the new Ben but I really missed the sleazier old one too.

Yeah, big improvement over RE7 overall. The characters were likeable, for one thing. RE2make's dialogue bounces back and forth by directly addressing conflicting motives and actions. We actually get to see the characters express what they're saying with some high end motion capture performance. The closest RE7 ever gets to this is a series of radio play phonecalls between Ethan and Zoe. And on a lesser note, RE2make knows when and how to swear instead of over-using it (swearing done wrong in any medium is a pet peeve of mine, it's really an art in itself, and RE7 blew it badly on that front). I was worried RE2make was going to continue RE7's style of dialogue/characterisation/delivery and I'm glad it didn't. It still felt like RE2 at the end of the day despite some big changes, and that's all it needed to do.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Have 7-9 be in first person, just like 4-6 were over-the-shoulder third person action games. Let the REmake series play like RE2make moving forward.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
RE7, but with a lower health pool and an emphasis on defensive items. Also, RE2's combat, so you're encouraged to plant your feet and go for max accuracy.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
RE8 should be first person and support VR. The remakes can stay in third person.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
RE2 Remake is the best RE and I want every game in the series to be like it moving forward.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Can we have neither as an option? I really would love a classic fixed camera Resi game, I doubt it will ever happen now though.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I liked Re2 Remake imma have to go with first person again for 8. I felt a lot of tension in Re2 but wasn't really scared, which is something 7 did in spades. Obviously 2 is more action focused in general so that emphasis made sense for the remake, but I wanna get the crap scared outta me again. RE7 did a brilliant job in that regard with the intimidating characters and the setting. Also more VR please.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Story in RE is always a means to an end, that end being the game itself, its setting, and situations. And while RE2make arguably took away more than it added from a structural perspective, I think you're grossly underselling the characters this time round for some reason. We got to see a far more fleshed out Leon/Ada relationship than we ever have before. We got to see Claire emotionally invested in Sherry, and directly critical of Annette. Claire and Leon's awkward flirting is cute. Leon was more doggedly determined to do the right thing than ever, despite events around him spiralling far out of control. New Marvin was fantastic- stoic, tragic and heroic all in one.

It wasn't all great. The new Annette didn't work for me really, especially her last scene in Claire's scenario which I think was an unwise (and not at all earned) gear change for the character. The new Chief was drastically inferior to the old one, not outright bad per se, but a disappointment nonetheless, if only because the old one was so good. I liked the new Ben but I really missed the sleazier old one too.

Yeah, big improvement over RE7 overall. The characters were likeable, for one thing. RE2make's dialogue bounces back and forth by directly addressing conflicting motives and actions. We actually get to see the characters express what they're saying with some high end motion capture performance. The closest RE7 ever gets to this is a series of radio play phonecalls between Ethan and Zoe. And on a lesser note, RE2make knows when and how to swear instead of over-using it (swearing done wrong in any medium is a pet peeve of mine, it's really an art in itself, and RE7 blew it badly on that front). I was worried RE2make was going to continue RE7's style of dialogue/characterisation/delivery and I'm glad it didn't. It still felt like RE2 at the end of the day despite some big changes, and that's all it needed to do.
The characters are the entire problem with RE2. Their arcs do not make sense. Their relationships do not make sense. Leon and Claire do not make sense. You see their flirting as "cute". It's just plain stupid. Claire and Sherry do not make sense. The bond they form isn't grounded in actual character development. You get these bland, nonsense scenes of Claire and Sherry interacting and it's supposed to somehow mirror a human relationship. Leon and Ada do not make sense. Ada doesn't have a character beyond "anime spy lady cliche". Their relationship has never made sense in any Resident Evil game or film. The worst writing traits of Capcom's games, which RE7 managed to ditch, have returned in RE2 Remake.

RE2 is a game where the entire zombie outbreak doesn't make sense logistically. Leon's presence in the story doesn't make sense. Claire turning up on a motorcycle doesn't make sense. This is what you get when you remake badly written games with an eye for pleasing the old fans. You get this swiss cheese of world building, characterization.

In stark contrast in RE7, which was a well thought out game with convincing, fleshed out characters who behaved like actual beings. Whose motivations and actions throughout the story made sense.

Capcom have only made a handful of truly well written games as a company. Games that can stand beside the best narratives videogames can offer. Lost Planet 3 is one of them. Resident Evil 7 is another

intheflorsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RE7 is one of the most atmospheric games I've ever played and the first person perspective has a lot to do with that.

Plus I want to see them continue to innovate with the franchise. People who just want more of RE2R will probably get a RE3R.

lowlifelenny

Oct 27, 2017
Their arcs do not make sense. Their relationships do not make sense. Leon and Claire do not make sense. Claire and Sherry do not make sense. Leon and Ada do not make sense. Their relationship has never made sense in any Resident Evil game or film. Leon's presence in the story doesn't make sense. Claire turning up on a motorcycle doesn't make sense.

Personally, a story doesn't have to 'make sense' for me, it just has to be engaging and entertaining enough for me to suspend disbelief, and with RE2, I and many others I'm sure can, easily. It has an unfair advantage of course, because I've loved those characters for 20 years, but even so, I had no real complaints with their portrayal in the remake. Everyone has their suspension of disbelief threshold, and you're going to break it sooner than later if the shit is piling up faster than the gold. The gold to shit ratio in RE7 leaned heavily towards shit in my experience where the story was concerned. It didn't matter that the characters were more 'real', they were far less interesting than the typical RE character. Ethan, Mia, and Lucas in particular were awful. I did like Jack and Marguerite (and Joe was pretty cool too), but if RE7's cast never appeared in the series again, I wouldn't miss them at all.

Honestly, reality and logic really isn't what I want from RE, or any videogame for that matter. A convenient facade will do.

Oct 25, 2017
RE7. The game has an incredibly solid foundation for them build upon and I'm curious to see where they would take that formula next.

Plus RE7 was way scarier than RE2. Let the REmakes stay third person for now while the main games explore first person.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RE7 is one of the most atmospheric games I've ever played and the first person perspective has a lot to do with that.

Plus I want to see them continue to innovate with the franchise. People who just want more of RE2R will probably get a RE3R.
Why do you assume they can't innovate with a third person perspective and that people who want that only "want more RE2R?"

What makes people asking for first person so different that you can't say they just want more RE7?