• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

7 or 2R?

• Resident Evil VII

Votes: 310 29.9%
  • Resident Evil 2 Remake

Votes: 728 70.1%

• Total voters

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Besides the first person, RE2R also feels a little more "kinetic" than RE7 did; your character feels like they have more options for movement, more ways to utilize their items and equipment, and a bigger arsenal in general. It's also much more story-focused, with legitimate cutscenes in between gameplay segments rather than everything being in-game through Ethan's eyes or a video tape.

I think RE7 had us at our most vulnerable yet. Ethan was not a police officer or a special forces agent or even an athletically built biker like Claire was. He was a damn IT guy. Playing as Leon or Claire in RE2R feels a little more combat-oriented, where Ethan felt like he was struggling just to survive. The horror in RE2 relies more on cinemetography and storytelling, I think, where RE7's is mostly through gameplay.

Which style of game do you prefer? Both are survival horror, but convey the concept in different ways.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RE7 was only good for the first half. When it becomes more about combat in the second half it completely falls apart.

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
2 feels better and I like the TP view. I felt like it nailed the survival horror aspect better and had a better story/characters.

With that said, if they made another 7 lite I'd take that too because I also enjoyed that game very much. They'd just need to work on those ending environments since they weren't super hot.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Atmosphere, FPS, and boss fights of 7, but with the level design, puzzles, and enemy encounters of 2.

Kent

Jun 4, 2018
RE6.

It's a shame that they made such an amazing and well-designed set of combat systems and player dynamism, only to drop them entirely for future entries in the series. A lot like Lost Planet 2, in that sense.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I actually think I like it more. It has higher highs but lower lows. If they could make the whole game feel like the first half it would be amazing. I don't find RE2 scary at all

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RE2rm all the way.

RE7 is a good game, but it's not a good RE game. It barely even feels like RE. I want RE. They should have called that something else.

Add a limited sidestep/dodge type power into the RE2rm formula and you've got a perfect game. The reason I say this is that the lack of any form of defensive move limits the type of enemy encounter they can design -- So it's really needed.

For example: Mr. X is exciting, but ultimately shallow because he has to be limited to running the same speed as you. Imagine if, instead, he ran faster, and every time he caught up you had to time a sidestep correctly to escape. NOW he's intense. As it is, after the initial shock and novelty, he's pretty tame because he's so easy to keep away from.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
RE7 is superior to RE2 in terms of shit like basic movement and stuff, so I'd personally push to go that way. Most of what makes RE2 good is the level design, which is superior to RE7 and not really what most people think of when they refer to moment-to-moment gameplay.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Both. I still hold out hope that Capcom will give us a First-Person view RE2 dlc sometime in the future. But given only one choice I prefer RE7's viewpoint.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
For example: Mr. X is exciting, but ultimately shallow because he has to be limited to running the same speed as you. Imagine if, instead, he ran faster, and every time he caught up you had to time a sidestep correctly to escape. NOW he's intense. As it is, after the initial shock and novelty, he's pretty tame because he's so easy to keep away from.

Oh god no, he gives me enough anxiety as is.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
My knowledge of Resident Evil extends to the remakes of the first two games so far but I can confidently say that I have absolutely no interest in a first-person one.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not even into the series but I voted TPP because third person > first.

#TeamThirdPerson

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, he's fine as is. He's more about applying constant pressure and forcing you to take detours, since he's always coming.

I would really only want first person if they're going to do VR again. Otherwise, I much prefer third person.

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
I think I prefer third person, but I want another first person RE game because they're far scarier to me. Plus I figure REmake 3 and likely other future RE games will go with REmake 2 style of gameplay, whereas if RE8 isn't first person I doubt we'll get another one that is any time soon.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
They touched on something really special with 7 and I hope they iterate on it with 8. We have RE3make coming so I don't see why we can't have both types of experiences.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
RE2rm all the way.

RE7 is a good game, but it's not a good RE game. It barely even feels like RE. I want RE. They should have called that something else.

Add a limited sidestep/dodge type power into the RE2rm formula and you've got a perfect game. The reason I say this is that the lack of any form of defensive move limits the type of enemy encounter they can design -- So it's really needed.

Yup, Revelations 2 had the best balance of third person controls so far.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why not have an option for both?

I'd go with RE2 if given the choice since it lends itself far better to both the classical style of the first three games, as well as, at an entry level, allude to 4, 5 and 6s action style without having to commit to either. It'll have more presence as an ongoing part of the series style, moreso than first person only.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil 8? It should be like RE2R.
So should RE3R. Oh, and Revelations 3 as well.

First person is for the birds.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RE2R feels like a modernized classic RE.

RE7 feels like an FPS trying to immitate classic RE for the first portion of the game. Its combat is super basic FPS as well.

So yeah, RE2R easily. First person needs to go.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
either i guess. theyve proven they can do a great job with both and ive never been one to really care what perspective a game is. im cool with whatever they chose

Oct 27, 2017
RE6
I missed the dodge in RE2make, even though I realise there's a point to not controlling like that. At least HUNKS mode should have been like that IMO.

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished RE7 again last weekend. While I enjoy it, I think what holds it back is that the first person view doesn't do bosses and combat well, not the way its been implemented. I also think it places less of an emphasis on the main character. Leon/Claire in RE2 feel so much more integral and important in the story because of their onscreen presence compared to RE7s protagonist.

For those reasons, while I'm fine with either, I'd prefer the RE2 approach.

CrocoDuck

Oct 28, 2017
VR mode for Re7 is god-tier gaming. But RE7 really falls off towards the end of the game.

I like both styles, I would choose RE2remake but RE7 VR was probably better.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
RE2R is pretty much the perfect blend of old and new, it should be the defacto standard.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
It depends on who's the playable character. If it's another nobody like Ethan that I wouldn't mind first person again and it would also allow VR support. If it's Chris, Jill, Leon, Claire or whoever than it needs to be third person. Personally I would prefer to play a character I like but RE7 was great and I wouldn't be opposed to more of that style.

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I don't see how you play RE2R and not come away from it hoping it's the direction the franchise takes for the foreseeable future. 7 was fine but too big of a departure for me.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017

Please no, that would be a game killer for me. i hate the unkillable baddy who follows you around in games. The only thing that made them tolerable for me in RE2, RE3, and so far in RE7, just an hour or two in RE7, is once you figure out their quirks they ain't so bad. Mr. X was tolerable to me precisely because I could out run him and he wouldn't follow me into a safe room, the safe room thing also seems to hold true for whatever fuck face's name is in 7 so far.