• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

7 or 2R?

• Resident Evil VII

Votes: 310 29.9%
  • Resident Evil 2 Remake

Votes: 728 70.1%

• Total voters

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
0fc.gif

fdamoreg

Oct 28, 2017
I think RE2 is overall better than RE7, but it didn't scare me at all, and i think the camera perspective had much to do with it.

I think the RE is a series that can allow itself to branch out tho. We can have some FPP games with vr implementations, some OTS that goes full spooky house (REmake 2), other OTS that goes the action-horror route (REmake 3, RE4), etc.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
Add a limited sidestep/dodge type power into the RE2rm formula and you've got a perfect game
Exactly! Something very subtle like the short evade of Geralt in Witcher 3.

No more first person please
Yup. 7 is scary but it doesn't feel like RE..... RE2 remake is the perfect formula that really modernize what was played on psone days without losing identity. Also REsident was never SCARY...... (This were for Silent Hill)

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I also think it places less of an emphasis on the main character. Leon/Claire in RE2 feel so much more integral and important in the story because of their onscreen presence compared to RE7s protagonist.
The entire point of creating first person games is to blur the line between player and protagonist. To be a participant in the story instead of watching characters onscreen like you're watching a movie, pressing buttons to make them move around. When characters interact with Leon in a third person cutscene, they aren't interacting with YOU. They are talking to this other character on the screen with cinematic camera angles.

Ethan in RE7 is the player. Ethan is you, and you are Ethan. When Jack asks Ethan to save his family, he is speaking directly to the player.

I'd also like to point out the acting and writing in RE7 is leagues beyond RE2 Remake. Although that's probably partially because the original RE2 story and its characters were... not particularly great. They were kinda backed into a corner, even with retcons.

Third person horror games are not very scary once you remove the panic-inducing terrible controls. Part of this is the unnatural field of view. Would you really be scared walking down a dark alley if you basically had eyes in the back of your head? Another part is the fact that watching a character have their arms ripped off is very different to having this done to you in first person. Watching Amanda Ripley be dragged into a vent in third person would never be as scary as being dragged into a vent in Alien: Isolation.

Watching zombies rip Leon and Claire's throat out in RE2 Remake is DULL. People talk as though it's some horrifying experience. It's not. Leon flails to the ground. The zombies rip his flesh. It's a pale shadow of the kind of intimate horror a first person game can offer.

Of course, the dispute over first vs third person is not new, and will rage on forever. Some people feel that games should seek to make the player the protagonist. Others feel the game should treat the protagonist as a separate entity. I think horror as a genre demonstrates the weakness of third person disassociation, though. Resident Evil 2 Remake with the WIP first person mod feels like a much more intimate, visceral, and scary game.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
First-person with more of RE2's design sensibilities. I don't really care if it's first-person or not as a player, but if 7 is a one-off in the days to come, the fanbase discussion will be even more intolerable.

Last edited:

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
RE2R. I liked RE7 but Ethan was so worthless he might as well have been a silent protagonist, and the first person "immersion" means nothing to me.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
RE2R is what I wanted Resident Evil to continue as when it comes to "Survival Horror." With RE7 you can see it constantly evolve, but I prefer the refined redefined RE2R's overall gameplay and presentation.

RE4 is still my favorite because, while it is an action packed adventure, it still manages to be tense and atmospheric.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
They should do both if they can. First person isnt my thing but I can totally get it being scarier than third, and it would be a shame if 7 was a one off.

My own personal taste, though, third person.

Dante316

Oct 25, 2017
I should play RE7 but for some reason I have like zero urge to even buy it... might get it after I play other major releases I guess

AVtechNICK

Dec 13, 2017
The market is already overflooded with first person horror games, so with third person camera RE8 would look like more distinctively in a good way.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
man that poll is depressing. If 8 goes in the direction of Remake2 then VR goes out the window. REVII VR was one of my most favorite gaming experiences of my life. There are plenty of opportunities for them to explore the path that Remake2 took without having them all that way.

As others have said, keep mainline first person/VR enabled and do everything else like Remake2.

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed the moment to moment gameplay in RE2 so much more. It just handled shooting and movement better. Ethan moved so painfully slow and the shooting didin't feel as satisfying.

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
The entire point of creating first person games is to blur the line between player and protagonist. To be a participant in the story instead of watching characters onscreen like you're watching a movie, pressing buttons to make them move around. When characters interact with Leon in a third person cutscene, they aren't interacting with YOU. They are talking to this other character on the screen with cinematic camera angles.

Ethan in RE7 is the player. Ethan is you, and you are Ethan. When Jack asks Ethan to save his family, he is speaking directly to the player.

I agree with your thesis. BUT when I play Resident Evil I WANT to play as Leon/Chris/Jill/Claire. I like those characters a lot and don't want to be self-inserted into the game as the PC at the expense of them. It's part and parcel of the Resident Evil DNA and to strip that away, to me, is kind of missing the appeal of the franchise, at least in part. Without those characters it's just another survival-horror game.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
3rd person fans seem hung up on characters and tradition, so it's probably best to keep the REmakes in that perspective.

The main series on the other hand should be allowed to experiment and evolve in 1st person. RE7 was such a breath of fresh air for the franchise. Not just in terms of gameplay, but in tone too. I was so happy the first time I played the beginning hour demo and saw that Capcom was actually playing things straight for once. RE7 wasn't flawless by ANY means, but it had very high highs.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
Please please please can we keep RE as a 3rd person action game, it's my fave game series ever and I don't like FPS so I need this!

pikablu

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely loved 7 and it exceeded my expectations but I still prefer third person. So my vote goes re2r.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
man that poll is depressing. If 8 goes in the direction of Remake2 then VR goes out the window. REVII VR was one of my most favorite gaming experiences of my life. There are plenty of opportunities for them to explore the path that Remake2 took without having them all that way.

As others have said, keep mainline first person/VR enabled and do everything else like Remake2.
It's not surprising. Gamers love to see their favorite games recycled over and over rather than allowing devs to be creative with them. RE2 is great but it isn't doing anything fresh or new. RE7 is a far more unique experience. I doubt they would be able to even match RE2 as it's honestly the level design that makes it good and that is just borrowed

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
I'd be fine with either, honestly. Personally, I think first-person is better for making players feel vulnerable and claustrophobic and that worked perfectly for RE7.

Oct 25, 2017
3rd person fans seem hung up on characters and tradition, so it's probably best to keep the REmakes in that perspective.

The main series on the other hand should be allowed to experiment and evolve in 1st person. RE7 was such a breath of fresh air for the franchise. Not just in terms of gameplay, but in tone too. I was so happy the first time I played the beginning hour demo and saw that Capcom was actually playing things straight for once. RE7 wasn't flawless by ANY means, but it had very high highs.

There are so only so many remakes they can do. I have yet to see a convincing argument for 3rd person should be abandoned for all future new mainline games. VR is tiny percent people that will play RE games 1st does not automatically mean scarier. Plus throwing the classic characters takes away a TON of the appeal. I want to play as Leon, Chris, Jill, Claire, Sherri and Ada and I want to SEE them while I'm controlling them.

It's not surprising. Gamers love to see their favorite games recycled over and over rather than allowing devs to be creative with them. RE2 is great but it isn't doing anything fresh or new. RE7 is a far more unique experience. I doubt they would be able to even match RE2 as it's honestly the level design that makes it good and that is just borrowed

Changing perspectives is being creative? Something every other horror game in the market was already doing...

I enjoyed RE7 and would buy RE8 if it is a FPS, but I would rather it be third person.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I agree with your thesis. BUT when I play Resident Evil I WANT to play as Leon/Chris/Jill/Claire. I like those characters a lot and don't want to be self-inserted into the game as the PC at the expense of them. It's part and parcel of the Resident Evil DNA and to strip that away, to me, is kind of missing the appeal of the franchise, at least in part. Without those characters it's just another survival-horror game.
But that's the beauty of VII and hopefully 8 (VIII?). They used new player characters in place of Jill, Leon, Claire, and Chris while simultaneously creating new lore/gameplay mechanics to keep the franchise fresh and innovative. They have plenty of source material to use in following the in footsteps of REmake2. RE3, CV, RE4, RE5. Hell, they could even pull a RE3 type move and make a game that shows what Chris was doing while RE3 was taking place, all styled like REmake2.

Last edited:

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Either works for me. I think first-person works better for horror, but at the same time, I'd be lying if I said parts of RE2 didn't make me tense up pretty hard... although that has more to do with things like having to quietly evade lickers while the Tyrant was right on my tail. It's nothing that couldn't be done just as effectively (if not moreso) in first-person.

I guess I'd prefer first-person overall. But I'd also love more third-person. I dunno.

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
On the other hand, failure to recognize what fans of a franchise like about said franchise can lead to disasters like Dead Rising 3 and 4 where you alienate your core and fail to bring in enough new fans to offset it. And then the franchise dies because it has no identity anymore.

Personally, I'd rather they stick with what made Resident Evil a success in the first place. There are other IP's if that's not your thing.

Edit: I'm not saying "No innovation allowed!" for RE, but there's a certain framework that should ideally be followed, and RE7 eschewed some of that.

Lunatious

Dec 18, 2018
While I prefer the style of RE2R, knowing we're most likely getting that same style for REmake 3 I'd like to see them give the RE7 formula another try and improve upon it's foundations and the changes added by Not A Hero and End of Zoe.

What if i want it to play like RE4-6?

RE4 style is my ideal but it really feels like Capcom's moved on from that for mainline RE at least.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see first person attempted again, as I think the focus was too narrow with 7 to fully tap its potential. One that has the level and encounter design philosophies of REmake2 and better writing across the board would be worth the foray.

Wouldn't say no to VR if it's as well done as it was in 7 too, though hopefully it can reach more than just the PSVR platform.

Third person is fine as well.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
First Person was the only part I didn't like about RE7, so yeah RE2R.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
This poll is a shame. Re2 style should have a larger lead. PSVR people finna screw everybody else over.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'll take either, but honestly it might come down to the setting.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
While I prefer the style of RE2R, knowing we're most likely getting that same style for REmake 3 I'd like to see them give the RE7 formula another try and improve upon it's foundations and the changes added by Not A Hero and End of Zoe.
Yeah, I think that's pretty much where I stand. It'll be a shame if RE7 ends up being the only first-person game in the series.

This poll is a shame. Re2 style should have a larger lead. PSVR people finna screw everybody else over.
I've never even played the game in VR, and I still think first-person works better for RE's specific style of survival horror than third-person does.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't play VII outside of the demos and won't play VIII if it's also first person. Simple as that.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
I loved both, so am okey with whatever Capcom chooses , the only thing I prefer in 7 more than RE2 is the single foreword moving plot, never been a fan of those "during this time .." type of stories.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When you play Alien: Isolation, you ARE Amanda Ripley. When you play Alien: Resurrection, you ARE Ellen Ripley. It's not at the expense of Ripley. If Alien: Isolation 2 didn't star Amanda, people would be upset. Because they like that character and want to play as her.

In a first person horror game, the character is a sum of their physical presence, their voice, the image you see when you look in a mirror. There's no reason why the difference between Leon and Ada can't be conveyed in first person. Through their appearance, their voice, their mechanics, etc. I think this is a particular point of contention. I notice that some people seem to think that if a game's perspective is first person, the protagonist doesn't matter. But nobody is going to mistake Amanda Ripley for Doom Guy. They're completely different characters and nobody could mistake one for the other.

One compromise is first person gameplay and third person cutscenes. This is basically the experience you get with the RE2 first person mod.

But that causes other issues. One moment you're walking in Ada Wong's shoes. The next you're watching Ada Wong talk to people. Why must I leave Ada Wong's body for the pasted on cutscenes? Why not try to seamlessly integrate the story without breaking perspective? Cutscenes and gameplay have always had an uneasy relationship. They're a relic of movies inserted into videogames.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
RE2R please. I skipped 7 because it looked scary and disgusting, and FPV. Also would be nice if they played the cutscenes nice and straight like in RE2R instead of RE4 flair which culminated in RE6 looking like Fast and Furious with Monsters.

lowlifelenny

Oct 27, 2017
While I think RE2make is the overall better game of the two, it's basically a refined greatest hits package, whereas RE7 managed to establish something quite unique, and I think that's the path they should stick to with 8. It's a promising format with a lot of potential which I don't think they came anywhere near close to fulfilling, and it definitely deserves another shot.

Have RE8 be first person and RE3make be over the shoulder.

Sounds like the right idea to me.

I'd also like to point out the acting and writing in RE7 is leagues beyond RE2 Remake.

Ppffffffffft