• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

7 or 2R?

• Resident Evil VII

Votes: 310 29.9%
  • Resident Evil 2 Remake

Votes: 728 70.1%

• Total voters

intheflorsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do you assume they can't innovate with a third person perspective and that people who want that only "want more RE2R?"

What makes people asking for first person so different that you can't say they just want more RE7?

It's not that they can't innovate in third person, it's just there's about 102 third person RE games and only one in first person. (Well, minus the on rail shooters.) First person is still mostly uncharted territory for the series and therefore there are more chances for new ideas to emerge, especially in the VR space.

Also, there are people who are literally asking for RE8 to play exactly like RE2R in this thread, that's kinda who I was addressing.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Even though RE5 is one of my personal favorites the way they updated the original style with REmake 1 & 2 is all I ever want from the series.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not that they can't innovate in third person, it's just there's about 102 third person RE games and only one in first person. (Well, minus the on rail shooters.) First person is still mostly uncharted territory for the series and therefore there are more chances for new ideas to emerge, especially in the VR space.

Also, there are people who are literally asking for RE8 to play exactly like RE2R in this thread, that's kinda who I was addressing.
I guess just complete switching perspectives for a mainline game has always bugged me.(I don't like Metroid Prime either.)

It'd be like a third person Halo(the one FPS besides Half-life I like) just wouldn't sit with me.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
That's the thing, first person perspective limits enemy design and their attacks.

The video I posted above demonstrated it perfectly, you simply can not have boss fights and skill ceiling like this in first person RE.

You could actually, but they just didn't tune RE7 that way. They gimped aiming/movement pretty hard to compensate for the first person view.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
RE7 is the scarier game.
RE6 is the better action game.

It's been a while since we had good coop action RE game, so I hope it's like RE6. If it's single player only than I rather have it be more like RE7 than RE2.

Ronin1138

Banned
Jan 10, 2019
If they decide on 3rd person then they need to go back to fixed camera TRUE 3rd person.

Not this 2nd person "over the shoulder" crap.

Right now there is nothing distinguishing it from every other 3rd person action game on the market. You put a clip up of Claire running through the lab and that can easily be mistaken for last of us, dead space or tomb raider. The classic fixed camera gave RE something unique, scary and cinematic and would allow it to carve out its own niche in the action horror market.

But as far as RE8 is concerned they really should continue with First Person. RE7 is easily the scariest game in the franchise and the perspective played a big role in that.