• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is WC3: Reforged the worst thing that a game publisher has ever done?

• Yes. This is corporate greed and carelessness on a level heretofore unseen.

Votes: 435 42.1%
  • No, and I'll post what I think was even worse.

Votes: 353 34.2%
  • Undecided. It's really bad, but if they fix it it'll be mostly forgiven.

Votes: 187 18.1%
  • Wut? I love me some WC3: Reforged. What's everyone complaining about?

Votes: 58 5.6%

• Total voters

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I thought about this long and hard before making this thread. Unless you've been living under a rock for the last few days, you've probably heard about the travesty that was and continues to be the launch of Warcraft III: Reforged. Since there are already two other main threads that have been chronicling this saga, I'll link to those for the unitiated rather than outlining the myriad ways that Reforged has disappointed and angered longtime WC3 fans:
And here's a video that does a good job painting the picture of Blizzard/Activision's gut-wrenching and arguably malicious failure:

Now hopefully everyone reading this is caught up on exactly why Warcraft III: Reforged is so much more than a botched remastering of a beloved game. What really pushes this into "worst ever" territory for me is that it ruined the original game as well, completely without warning and in ways that might not ever be reversed or fixed. We're talking about one of the most revered RTS's of all time that still had a passionate, active fan-base 15+ years after its initial release suddenly being neutered and butchered in a rushed, half-hearted attempt to force compatibility with the new Reforged client.

People have drawn comparisons to the shitty Silent Hill HD remastering effort from years ago. Yes, that was a terrible remaster that insulted the original games that it attempted to modernize, but at least it didn't ruin those original games. That's what makes this the worst anti-consumer thing I've ever seen from a games publisher in all my years closely following the industry and this medium. To do something this vile, for $30 no less, and to pull the trigger on everything that has happened knowing full-well what would happen is just... I'm speechless. Blizzard/Activision have drawn a lot of ire for various controversies in recent years, but this one is on another level. People are seething with rage over this, and for once I don't think the reaction has been hyperbolic or unjustified in the least. This cannot stand.

H4LjKbn.png

It's now the worst user-scored game in Metacritic history, and that score is 100% justified.

Anyway, do you think this is the most anti-consumer act ever committed by a large game publisher? If not, what was?

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Valve locking the Kidvoker Persona behind a Battle Pass

Let me buy that shit bitchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

kid_invoker_model.jpg

I'm joking but also not joking.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Is it not just a one-time purchase of a shitty game? There are def more egregious examples of anti-consumerism.

OP didn't bother to explain what this topic is really about. But essentially, the remaster made the original version of WC3 worse but removing features and forcing you to install the remaster assets, even if you didn't buy the game.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Is it not just a one-time purchase of a shitty game? There are def more egregious examples of anti-consumerism.
No. You can read the links in the OP (or watch the video) for more details, but the key thing here is that all of the regressions and removals of features that plague Reforged apply to the original game now too (and then some).

Even if you had no desire to buy Reforged, your Warcraft 3 install gets overwritten with this broken, feature-gutted 30GB abomination. And you can't go back unless you have the old installer. Even then, you won't be able to play online through Bnet because that has been replaced as well.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty bad, but we've had stuff like Capcom literally installing a rootkit on people's computers and the entire Battlefront II debacle that had such an outcry it got the US government involved. Bad? Yes. Worst? No imo.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
They still have a long way to go before they can outscum EA. The Battlefront II thing is worse and that isn't even the most anti-consumer thing EA has actually done.

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Where is the "Probably, but this is such a hyperbolic and dramatic comment" option on the poll.

ParksCo2

Oct 31, 2017
No one is forcing anyone to buy this game. They didn't change it after you purchased it. And if it was different than the Preorder (also never Preorder anything, you get what you deserve) you can cancel it painlessly. This is just a post that is meant to stir the coffee. Not worth it.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes on the price for Reforged and the outright absurdness regarding custom maps. Basically boils down to "We instantly own anything you make with our tools, you can't make anything similar anywhere else, you have no moral rights, so fuck you you little shits. Make us the next DOTA so we can claim it for ourselves without so much as giving you a credit in its creation. And again, fuck you."

qatak

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's really bad and I'm not gonna get it.

That said, I'm so tired of the video game launch outrage cycle. We don't need hundreds of YouTube videos talking about how this game is a failure. Blame capitalism, I guess. I just want to move on.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
No one is forcing anyone to buy this game. They didn't change it after you purchased it. And if it was different than the Preorder (also never Preorder anything, you get what you deserve) you can cancel it painlessly. This is just a post that is meant to stir the coffee. Not worth it.
Even if you didn't buy Reforged your copy of WC3 is ruined. Reforged replaces the original client/infrastructure as well, whether you like it or not.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't it EA that released a sports game that was in it's most literal sense identical to the previous game released the previous year? As in it had a different cover art and added some new teams and nothing else?

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Don't get me wrong this is a monumental fuck up but it's not even close to most consumer unfriendly decisions in the industry. We've had spyware that came installed with game. We've got micro transactions that basically prey on vulnerable people getting them to waste 1000s of dollars. This industry has seen some shit.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
It is a bit worse than that. I will no longer play my original version of WC3 over LAN anymore if I try to log in to Battlenet. Stiff like the original DotA are now gone for good too. You don't need to buy Reforged to be affected by it.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
People don't read the OP. This fucked up people that didn't buy Reforged. If it was like you mentioned, people would complain, say Blizzard is a terrible company, but at least we could play the original Warcraft 3 as it was a few days ago. Now you have to either find the physical discs to install them and then apply a patch before Reforged, or find another way to get the original installers.

Right now, Warcraft 3 doesn't have LAN, or custom campaigns, or even offline play; features that were available last week.

Comet

Oct 27, 2017
WC3 is one of my favorite games of all time. I was stoked for this, now I can't even play the original and they don't have competitive ladder??? Are you kidding me?

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this is the worst, but it's certainly worse than Battlefront II, despite all of the posts to the contrary.

The Battlefront II microtransactions weren't even the most egregious ones we've seen before (they can't compare to the shit you can find on phones). Battlefront II just made the biggest stink because of the brand associated with it.

Plotinus

Oct 30, 2017
Yes.

Blizzard didn't just make a remaster that actually looks uglier than the original, that cuts dozens of important features from the original, and that is so unfinished that it asks you to manually edit a .txt file just to remap keys. They deliberately used that remaster as a trojan horse to completely destroy the original version of the game. Then as a parting shot, they smugly declared their ownership of other people's creative work, killing Warcraft III's legendary modding community stone dead.

That is some pro-level fuckery. Battlefront II can't compete with that.

Last edited:
May 17, 2018
No. You can read the links in the OP (or watch the video) for more details, but the key thing here is that all of the regressions and removals of features that plague Reforged apply to the original game now too (and then some).

Even if you had no desire to buy Reforged, your Warcraft 3 install gets overwritten with this broken, feature-gutted 30GB abomination. And you can't go back unless you have the old installer. Even then, you won't be able to play online through Bnet because that has been replaced as well.

Oh, yikes. That second part is gross.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't it EA that released a sports game that was in it's most literal sense identical to the previous game released the previous year? As in it had a different cover art and added some new teams and nothing else?
to be completely fair, 2K did this with their last baseball entry too

My vote: 76 bag falsely advertised as canvas, then responding with giving less microtransaction currency than needed to buy the bag in game, and then accidentally leaking customer info

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty much up there. because it's more than just a bad remaster. Those have happened before, and it'd be isolated. And you could take comfort that the original game was still there.

But not in this instance. The fact they went back and wrecked the original game that people already paid for and with no warning makes This a new low in my book

Oct 27, 2017
Arizona
But it does force you to lose features if you already owned Warcraft 3.

Honestly, I would edit the OP and actually put all the grievances because apparently people can't click on your links or watch the video. Half the people posting so far don't even know what is going on.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
They literally killed the version of WC3 that has kept the community alive for decades, removed a dozen features, and force everyone to downgrade to WC3 Reforged client.

They're still using misleading advertising for WC3R, with a trailer that has cutscenes style that are not in the game.

It's pretty bad.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
i also think it was very anti-consumer when a video game company released a video game i did not like

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
How is battlefront 2 or some rehashed fifa game worse than blizzard forcing you to download a bunch of garbage into your computer even if you dont plan to buy their shitty remaster

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
People have such short memories...

My memory sucks, what would you say is worse? Battlefront 2 (2017) was a bad game with horrendous microtransactions but the original Battlefront 2 still exists.

i also think it was very anti-consumer when a video game company released a video game i did not like

It's more than that, these changes also affect the original game even if you have no intention of buying Reforged.

ArmadilloGame

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
The TOS claiming ownership of all moral rights to user generated maps shouldn't be forgotten either.

There have probably been bigger single actions against consumers done by publishers before, but this game's problems are just so multifaceted it's hard to argue that it's not the worst. Bad, cheaply made remaster that breaks explicit promises made during the game's build up. It ruins the original game it's based on by bloating the size and shutting off several features without previous warning. And it destroys all incentive for custom games or modding to a title that used to be defined by those features.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
It's more than that, these changes also affect the original game even if you have no intention of buying Reforged.
Wait, really? Okay I retract my flippant comment, that's just wack. Not the most anti-consumer thing a company has ever done (I believe someone in this thread already mentioned Battlefront 2) but still very wack.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, really? Okay I retract my flippant comment, that's just wack. Not the most anti-consumer thing a company has ever done (I believe someone in this thread already mentioned Battlefront 2) but still very wack.
How is battlefront 2 worse? Its stink at least was self contained into one game. It didn't spread out and take out battlefront 1 and the old battlefront games

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Wait, it replaces the old version of the game? Even if you didn't buy it? That's fucked up.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
It's extremely bad. But "the most anti-consumer act ever committed"? Erm, it's not even the most anti-consumer act committed by Blizzard alone, given their propensity for MTX.

World of Warcraft's exorbitantly priced character services are on a worse level of anti-consumerism, essentially combining all the monetization of both subscription-based and FTP-based MMOs.

The worst single act committed by Blizzard against their legacy content and fanbase? Perhaps.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Worst? I don't know, but it's pretty fucking bad. To me forcing people on the old version to use the newer shit is the biggest offender of all this.