• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you work an extra hour each day if it meant 3 days off?

• Yes

Votes: 413 91.6%
  • No

Votes: 38 8.4%

• Total voters

Big Boss

Oct 27, 2017
I voted yes but I really think we should move to 32 hour work weeks. 2 days off feels entirely too short.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Three and a half 12's and a 6 with three and a half days off is honestly pretty great if you can handle those long haul shifts. (A lot of people just flat-out can't.)

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
No but only because it would make it really difficult or me to work out on work days. Also I have a job that requires me to sit all day and I'm already tortured sitting for 8 hours straight. Can just feel my body getting sluggish and lazy.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I worked 4 10s for like 3 months and holy shit was it beautiful, problem is for something like that to work the other companies I deal with would need to adapt similar schedules. Even though I had a day free I'd still get calls from work and be asked to check some files real quick.
I'd probably take 2 10s, 2 9s and home office for the last day.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No but only because it would make it really difficult or me to work out on work days. Also I have a job that requires me to sit all day and I'm already tortured sitting for 8 hours straight. Can just feel my body getting sluggish and lazy.

Are you a driver? I'm trying to think of something else that would require sitting.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Lol at people didnt want that anymore. Flex days are one of the most sought after perks whoever got together and decided that was dumb
We're union and this was forcibly removed from our contract

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
12 Hr's is manageable if there's less days work. Used to do 4am to 4pm shift work which involved a lot of physical work and you just get used to it. 8 hrs feels really short as time flies. There's really not much to do on the work days. Eat, Shower, spend an hour gaming/watching a movie and a bit of house work. Waking up at 3am isn't really feel all that much different than 7am after a while and there's no traffic either so work takes around 10 minutes to get to instead of 30.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
4-10 is the good good and I'll be sad the day I can't have it. The 5-8 life sucks pretty hard in comparison.

Jan 10, 2018
No. I wouldn't be as productive and it would be hard to maintain that kind of energy. I'm usually exhausted efter 6 hours.

But it depends on the kind of work I guess. Work in a factory? Hell no. Work in an office? Maybe.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
My experience is that employers offer more 3/4 full time jobs so you as an employer can have one day of more compared to a full time job

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
My four 10 hour shifts are the only reason I tolerate working 2nd shift. Having 3 days off is great.

Now if you can get a job where you work three 12s and get paid for 40 hours, that would be the best imo.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
4/10s in a factory would be pure hell. I've done it and I only lasted 2 months.

If it was my current food job, I'd take it.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I was in military, standard schedule was 7 12s in a 2 week period. Problem was, military bullshit always ate one of your days off, and you often had PT at the end of those 12 hr shifts. You lived to work.

If I didn't have the added military BS it would have been great even on mids.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I'd work an extra hour to get even a 2nd day off. When you start at the post office, you are 8-12 hours a day (depending on season/shift), 6 days a week, until you make regular, which could take anywhere from 3 months to 3 years depending on position and seniority. I'm currently 7 months in and 5th on seniority, so I "might" get moved up the next time they convert in the next month or so, either that or I wait till end of the year.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
I would definitely do that with my current job, yes. My old job had a "Summer hours" policy where you could do that during the summer months, and it was pretty kickass.

Nah. 4-10s makes no damn sense. It's way too cognitively demanding. After a while, you're pushing diminishing returns. I'd rather have another fresh day, well rested.

4-8s is the the dream.

Yeah there's something to be said for this. My job isn't all that mentally demanding, so it would be good for me, but others aren't that lucky.

No because I'd end up seeing my kid less. Maybe if school switched to 4 10s lol

There's also something to be said for this. Not everyone has the same situation at home, and it might not make sense for some.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd work an extra hour to get even a 2nd day off. When you start at the post office, you are 8-12 hours a day (depending on season/shift), 6 days a week, until you make regular, which could take anywhere from 3 months to 3 years depending on position and seniority. I'm currently 7 months in and 5th on seniority, so I "might" get moved up the next time they convert in the next month or so, either that or I wait till end of the year.
Are you city or rural? I worked as an RCA for three years, was 3rd on the seniority list for for subs and was looking at 15 years. They were so being very secretive about the civil service exam. Could ever get info on it. Would have been a city carrier but could never find out when they tested. The lady who took my spot just got a route last year. I quit in 2004.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I already do that. I structurally work 4 hours a week more than I'm getting paid for, but I get much more vacation days in return. Basically, I work 40 hours a week but get paid for 36, which means I get an additional 208 hours of vacation (4 * 52 weeks), which translates to 26 days/5.2 weeks of extra vacation.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
There is no feasible way to get an extra day off and make a living wage, and I'm already working extra hours so this sounds pretty alien to me. Not to mention that 2 days off sounds like a waste of time, working is the only time I feel truly alive.

Sleepyhead86

Oct 27, 2017
Love my 4-10 schedule. Having Fridays off and getting a 3 day weekend every week has been like having a mini vacation. I've taken almost no time off in the last year because of this.

While it's not for everyone, the hardest part for me is waking up to get to work, so the extra 2 hours really isn't that demanding and I get some of my best work done then as I don't have to answer phone calls or assist customers since we're closed to the public the last 2 hours of my shift.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I would much rather work three or four 12 hour days than do the five day work week, but alas I work five 10-12 hour days.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
I have been championing this forever. Saturdays (and Friday evenings, even) are worthless because I'm just recovering. Then I have to spend my Sundays working.

Oct 26, 2017
Are you city or rural? I worked as an RCA for three years, was 3rd on the seniority list for for subs and was looking at 15 years. They were so being very secretive about the civil service exam. Could ever get info on it. Would have been a city carrier but could never find out when they tested. The lady who took my spot just got a route last year. I quit in 2004.

I'm an MHA at one of the plants. We're basically at the point right now where they've been talking about conversions for the last month and a half and we know they're going to do something since they're doing background checks, but how many people or when is something we can't get a straight answer for no matter who we ask. Things wouldn't be so bad if we could just get a consistent 8 hours a day, but every other day half a dozen regulars call in due to the weather being nice or one of the machines breaks down for an hour or more or management makes ass backward decisions like promoting several machine operators to supervisor roles and then not replacing them, which puts even more work on everyone who's left.

It wouldn't be so bad if MHAs were given the same rights as mail handlers in terms of leave. Call in as an MHA? Get a warning (although warnings mean nothing past your 90 days, there's multiple MHAs that have taken half a dozen days off or more and gotten nothing beyond a paper that says "don't do thing again"), where as MHs get little more than a slap on the wrist. Want to use your annual leave? Too bad, as an MHA your annual is nothing more than an extra paycheck once you get converted. The only vacation you get as an MHA is 5 days once you hit your year or if you get converted before it (you don't get to choose the days either, they are what they tell you they'll be).

Last edited:

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather do my normal amount of work hours and get an extra day off. Honestly, in an 8 hour work day, I only really do 3-5 hours of actual work and it's mostly on the 3 hour side. Adding more hours to my day isn't really going to get me more work

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm an MHA at one of the plants. We're basically at the point right now where they've been talking about conversions for the last month and a half and we know they're going to do something since they're doing background checks, but how many people or when is something we can't get a straight answer for no matter who we ask. Things wouldn't be so bad if we could just get a consistent 8 hours a day, but every other day half a dozen regulars call in due to the weather being nice or one of the machines breaks down for an hour or more or management makes ass backward decisions like promoting several machine operators to supervisor roles and then not replacing them, which puts even more work on everyone who's left.

It wouldn't be so bad if MHAs were given the same rights as mail handlers in terms of leave. Call in as an MHA? Get a warning (although warnings mean nothing past your 90 days, there's multiple MHAs that have taken half a dozen days off or more and gotten nothing beyond a paper that says "don't do thing again"), where as MHs get little more than a slap on the wrist. Want to use your annual leave? Too bad, as an MHA your annual is nothing more than an extra paycheck once you get converted. The only vacation you get as an MHA is 5 days once you hit your year or if you get converted before it (you don't get to choose the days either, they are what they tell you they'll be).
I was in a lucky position as I did get dual carrier status so when my regular was not pretending to injured and working I could go work for the city side when they were pretending to be injured. Ours was winter call offs. Ever time we got some frost or a but of ice 4 specific carriers got themselves "injured" and seemed to be off until warmer weather came around. Happened every winter during the 3.5 years I was at the USPS.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
I work away from home during the week, so I would definitely prefer longer hours and more time at home with my family.

FRS1987

Oct 31, 2017
New Jersey
Man that would be nice. I usually do 10-11 a day with only having 1 day off, 2 if i'm lucky. I usually feel as if i dont have time for myself and my family.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Yes and I've done it before.

4/10 shift schedule.

Work 4 days for 10 hours and have 3 days off.

Had this when I was working at a call center few years back.

A great schedule for a shitty job goes hand in hand lol.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
Worked 4 10 hours for about half a year and it was dreadful. Sure, one more day is cool but there are four days where I could do absolutely nothing. Guess it also depends on the commute but I was never more depressed than when I worked these hours.

Jan 10, 2018
I work 7x12 hour shifts over a 2 week rota. I work Monday, Tuesday, Saturday and Sunday in week 1; and Wednesday, Thursday and Friday in week 2. So I only ever work 2 or 3 days in a row, then get 2 or 3 days off.

The best part is that I get 28 days paid holiday a year, so I can take my Saturday and Sunday shifts off once a month and still have some days left over. That means I only work 1 weekend per month, but also get 7 days off in a row every month.

Also, the fact I work some weekends qualifies me for a 17% pay increase for working "unsocial hours". It's a pretty sweet deal to be honest and I'm not looking forward to ever going back to office hours.

My shifts are 0700 – 1900 too so I never drive in rush hour traffic.