• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you work an extra hour each day if it meant 3 days off?

• Yes

Votes: 413 91.6%
  • No

Votes: 38 8.4%

• Total voters

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
This summer as part of my business trip I'm having some 4 day work weeks. 10 hour days, although they are counting my hour or commute each way as working. I'll be off Friday through Sunday most of the summer and it's going to be GLORIOUS. I would have just worked 10 hours at my local location just as well for the same thing.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Would you work an extra hour each day if it meant 3 days off?"

Well seeing as I already work or whatever 6-7 days per week, an extra hour for 4 of them to get the other three off sounds nice.

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yes. At my old job I would do something like 11-11-11-7. I don't think I'd manage 11 hour days as well with a more intellectually demanding job, but 3 days in a row off every week was absolutely glorious.

killdatninja

Oct 26, 2017
At work we had several people try this newer schedule called 9/80. You work 9 hours Monday-Thursday (Friday is 8 hours). This lets you have every other Friday off, in other words you get a 3-day weekend every 2 weeks. I work the normal M-F, but working the "off-Fridays" are nice because it's quiet and easy time to get work done without interruptions. Although, I'm thinking of switching to the off-Friday schedule because the idea of having a 3-day weekend is appealing to me.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
the minimum hour quota for a "full time job" here in mexico is 48

so i am already doing 9.5 hours for 5 days

._.

the normal schedule is like 8 hours for 5 days and 6 hours on saturday

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
8 hours is already too long.

I could do the same amount of work working 32 hour work weeks than I do working 40 hour work weeks.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
We've been really short staffed lately and have all been on 12 hour shifts of 4 on and 3 or 4 days off. It's honestly great and I wish we didn't have to go back to 5 on 2 off.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, the only issue is traffic, if I leave work any later than I already do it adds a ton of time to my commute.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Definitely worth it. I work 11-hour days five days a week. I'll do 12 if I can fucking stay home on Friday. Hell, I already do 12 sometimes.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I used to do 3 days on 3 days off 12 hour shifts. The job sucked and I was always exhausted, so probably not.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. 4-10s makes no damn sense. It's way too cognitively demanding. After a while, you're pushing diminishing returns. I'd rather have another fresh day, well rested.

4-8s is the the dream.

8 hours is still far too many hours to be working, nobody is productive for that long. Crazy people will claim they are, but science has proven our brain is only truely productive for like 3 hours a day of work.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
in the past, ive worked 3 12-hour days and 4 10-hour days and i LOVE it. i wish this was the standard. especially the 3 12-hour days. four days off? it literally felt like a vacation every week. and it also frees up so much of your time in case you either 1) actually have hobbies and want to do things and enjoy your life or 2) need/want to pick up an extra part-time job or something.

i loathe working 5 days a week.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've tried to propose a 3 day 13.34 hour workday for myself for awhile at my job but they're only willing to do it if I work a Saturday or Sunday. I work from home but still not about to give up those days.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I'd absolutely do four ten hour days. Although honestly, there's so much wasted time in the average work week for people, I think companies could just go down to four eight hour days and productivity would still improve.

The vast majority of people don't put in a solid 40 hours of work each week.
It's because looking at work product via time is an outdated notion, especially with knowledge work.

Everyone jokes about it because it simply doesn't match human cognitive function.

This is not every job of course and jobs with strict deadlines heap way more work as well--think law, finance, consulting, and game development. The medical professions as well, which tend to be understaffed.

Mar 29, 2018
I'm one of those few people against the 4 / 40 work week. Working a 10 hour day would basically not work with my schedule at all because daycare, my dog, and everything else, work on a normal, 8 hour day. I play in basketball leagues on Tue/Thur and that'd make it impossible for me to make any of the early games. Even if my wife picks up from daycare (which she does now as I do drop-offs), it'd basically make me an absentee father for 4 days a week... My daughter goes to bed at 7PM, and so when I get home at ~6-6:30 that's usually my time to spend with the baby and put her to bed. I do mornings but those are always a bit of a firedrill each day, not really quality time.

I'd love to have a day at home each week to get shit done while my daughter is at daycare. Realistically, I think I'd end up doing freelance or something on the day I have off, and it wouldn't be good for me.
Of course it's not going to work for everyone. Everyone's life has different demands and timings. The reason it's brought up so often is mainly because of what research has found wrt productivity and mental health regarding the 4-day week.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
long%2Bweekend.jpg

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
No, fuck that. I want to have a free day and work the same hours. I want to work less

John198X

Nov 9, 2018
I've been working 4 10s for a few years and every Friday off still feels like a little treat.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
I work a desk job, so absolutely I would work 1-2 extra hours a day for 3-day weekends. Can't do it in my current job, but I would not mind that schedule at all.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
We implemented this at my work place last December, and we went to a 4 on 3 off work schedule. Love it.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did this and it sucked. I worked 6pm-6am Fri-Sun and got Mon-Wed off, while doing 6pm-12am on Thursday.

Awful, awful schedule.

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
My current job is 4x10 and it's the best thing ever. Only problem is it's not 3 consecutive days, it's Wednesday and Sat/Sun off. Even then it's still amazing to work 2 days and get a mid week break and come back and finish off the other 2 days for my weekend.

Oct 25, 2017
I used to work 2x16 and was considered full time, kind of miss it, but they were brutal days.

I would love 4x10 or 3x12, pretty much anything less than 5 days a week would be amazing.

Oct 25, 2017
I had a job that was 13 hours a day, 3 times a week and it was so exhausting that I really needed those 4 days to recover if not more.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
No shit

Your scenario also means less total hours worked though.

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
All of march I did work 2, 1 off, work 2, 2 off. It was aaaaaaaaaaaamazing. I wish I could do that all the time.

Emmz

Oct 28, 2017
I actually like working more short days. I like feeling productive for part of the day, then having enough time off to do something worthwhile afterwords as opposed to getting myself really mentally exhausted, going home, and wanting to go to sleep. I really hate fully down days too. I always feel like shit when I have a full day with nothing important to do, and even just slotting a few hours of work in really helps.

Oct 25, 2017
When I worked at Walmart i basically stayed 2 extra hours every morning finishing stuff up and cleaning up the back so i'd get a 3rd off day 90% of the time when overtime wasn't allowed.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Definitely. My first job allowed people to do 4 10 hour days each week or 9 9 hour days bi-weekly. Was a sweet gig.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I already do this. Love it.
The only downside is that none of my days off are during weekends.

Oct 25, 2017
I work 3 12's one week, 4 the next

Every Sunday, Monday,and Tuesday nights .. every other Saturday ..so every week I'm off Wednesday Thursday Friday and every other Saturday... Those 4 days off are like mini vacations. In fact I flew to Cartagena Colombia this past Wednesday-Saturday without having to use any vacation time.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty much putting in that time already, so I know I'd love that arrangement.

rucury

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
I don't understand how working 10 hours a day is possible. I'm a software dev and my brain stops working after 4pm.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
My last job was 8/5 (16 if you got hit with OT). It sucked, your days off go by so fast, you might as well not even have them. Sometimes I'd do OT on my off days because I was like fuck it, i'll just keep going in. I'd much rather have 4/10s or 3/12s.