• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
I don't think it would be feasible unless you're someone who is comfortable with missing out on the majority of games released.

I love all types of games but I'd be missing out on too many classics to pass up M rated games.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
It wouldn't ruin it, but we will miss out some amazing games, it wouldn't be positive imo

I mean it depends, some serious topics from the story would be rated M and yeah i would really miss them, especially games like Silent Hill or more recently The Missing!

Th0rnhead

Oct 27, 2017
It wouldn't completely ruin gaming for me, but a lot of the games that I would be playing would be primarily gameplay based, rather than somewhat narrative driven. A lot of M rated games have strong narratives, and I would definitely miss that. Games like Wolf Among Us, the Zero Escape series, Life is Strange, Fallout: New Vegas, The Last of Us, Until Dawn, etc.

I'd have to turn primarily to JRPGs for my story fix.

BurnKnuckle21

Nov 17, 2017
I play so few M rated games, and I wish games like Tomb Raider would remove all the terrible man shooting and let me dangle from cliffs.

Honestly, M stands for immature.

That's quite the sweeping generalization. Not all M rated games use the freedom provided by the rating just for gratuitous violence.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Ruin? No. Be lesser for it? Yes.

Some of my all-time favorites are M-rated... Turok, Silent Hill, Perfect Dark and Fatal Frame, to name a few.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
It would be seriously hurt/diminished, but not completely ruined. A lot of my favorite games are in the E or T brackets, even some pretty violent or bloody ones. It'd suck to lose RE4, the Zero Escape games, NieR, and most of the MGS series (just off the top of my head!) but I'd still have a lot of my favorites.

EDIT: Though that'd remove the Souls games, so it'd arguably ruin the more modern period or at least some years. At least I'd have DSII?

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I would argue that a kid growing up without M-rated games would develop better gaming tastes.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Most of my favorite games aren't M-rated, but I would be sad to miss out on some absolutely amazing games like Hitman and Persona. It wouldn't be ruined but, now that I think about it, I probably wouldn't buy a PlayStation. In this scenario, I'm a Nintendo-only player.

applejuice

Oct 27, 2017
Tampa, FL
Most of my favorite visual novels are rated M (for violence and blood, not tiddies) so it would be pretty different seeing as 999 is rated M and that's what really got me into them.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, there are definitely some games where a Mature rating is questionable. But plenty of games are rated M for a reason...

I'm not a parent, but I'm inclined to agree with the decision your parents took. If you asked me right now, if I would let an 8 year old play something like GTA or DOOM; my answer would be No. I don't think that would 'ruin' a kid's access or enjoyment of the hobby.

I don't think there's a shortage of less mature games either. For one thing, there's pretty much all of Nintendo's output; and BotW (rated T) was the Consensus GOTY 2017.
My brother let me play GTA 3 at the age of 9, and it was fun as hell. I had no idea what strippers and stuff were at the time, and I didn't care haha, I just wanted to drive and use cheats to do crazy stuff.

And as for the thread, nah, I don't even play that many M rated games to be fair. I could live without them.

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
Up until this gen, this wouldn't have been too much of an issue for me; I had Nintendo consoles growing up and shooters didn't have any interest for me. Even now, there are enough racing games, sports games, and platformers I enjoy that I wouldn't be bored. But there are definitely things like and Hitman and Assassin's Creed, just to name a couple, that I would greatly miss.

Theta

Banned
Jan 29, 2019
Trinidad and Tobago
I don't know. Some games I own came before the ESRB. Some games I own are indie and did not obtain any ratings by the ESRB.
But I would guesstimate that the majority of the library does contain Mature rated games.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
"Completely Ruin"? Nah, but it would it take a catastrophic hit -- especially with releases from the PS2 era to present. No Souls, MGS, Witcher, Mass Effect, Deus Ex, Rockstar Open Worlds, Battlefield, any Survival Horror worth mentioning. What a terrible timeline.

I'd still have Morrowind, Ueda, most great JRPGs, and the few Nintendo IPs I care about, thankfully.

Shadout

Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea what the rating is on the games I play.

Checks Dark Souls. M rated. Oh, yeah, it would be painful.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. Most of the games I play aren't M rated.