• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
It wouldn't be ruined, but would certainly be worse. I like many M-rated games.

I played a lot of GTA growing up, I'm glad my parents didn't give a shit lol

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It wouldn't be ruined by a long shot but it would be missing a lot.

My tastes in games would have had a pretty limited development if I ever chose games by age rating, one way or another.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
It wouldn't be a big impact. Honestly the biggest loss would probably be the SMT series and stuff like 999/VLR/DanganRonpa.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
It would be extremely lame. Two of the games I'm looking forward to most this year is Sekiro and (probably) TLOU2. Still, most the games I play aren't M rated. But it would be a solid chunk of em probably.

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
I don't know about completely ruin, but it would certainly take a big chunk out.

I don't particularly need or want the things that result in the rating, though. I've never been keen on gore.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
A lot of my favorite games are rated M, and I'm a huge fan of horror, so ... that would really suck. I'd still play games, but I'd definitely enjoy the hobby less.

Comandr

Feb 14, 2018
Yes. There are a gargantuan amount of games that are rated M, probably more than people realize when you really think about it. It would totally suck to lose access to games like Yakuza, Souls, GTA, GoW, Persona, TLOU, RDR, RE, AC... there are a lot. It would ruin gaming for me.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
It would for me.
Just like in movies, TV shows, Music, if every form of entertainment was made with a friendly kid entertainment in mind, the value of those art forms would be diminished.

Buddy

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Some of my all time favourites are m rated. God of war and Resident Evil series would be a tough loss.

But I play plenty of non m rated games too... As a big Nintendo fan there is always quality content available.

I was lucky as a child in that regard. My parents had the mindset that video games are toys so they all must be appropriate for kids. I played Mortal Kombat and doom as a 12-13 year old

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Considering most of my favorite franchises are M-rated, I would miss out on a lot. Like there's definitely still a lot to enjoy, but it wouldn't be the same.

The OP makes a good case on how most big blockbusters are M rated, so companies should do more to vary the on Xbox One and PS4. On the flip-side, Nintendo needs like a tad more in the M rated side.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Yes, I don't know what I'll do without it.

I'll just go back to watching Anime I guess.

Wait, are Persona and Tales games M rated?

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Not at all, I think there's only 2 M rated games in my Top 10 of all time (Witcher and Deus EX). My number one is rated M though, so it would still hurt. As would any restrictions to what I could play.

Edit: Huh, seems like XCOM is rated M too but XCOM 2 isn't. So missing out on the first XCOM reboot would also be a huge loss, but the second game compensates for that.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
No Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden? Fuck outta here.

But it still wouldn't be completely ruined. Sonic, Mega Man, Mario, Zelda, Starfox and especially Metroid, even Street Fighter is rated T. Lots to enjoy still.

That said, I wouldn't personally prevent my kid from playing all M rated games. I was exposed to some fucked up shit as a very young kid (in both movie and video-game form), solid parenting can make it alright.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I was gonna say "no" but Life is Strange is apparently rated M so I guess I have to say "yes". I really want to agree with dock's post 'cause it's how I generally feel.

The rating system is kinda messed up because a game like Total War: Warhammer can skirt an M rating by literally making visible gore/blood in-battle a DLC add-on. It's kinda ridiculous and shows how limited the system is.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
I grew up in a time before game ratings existed and/or parents didn't give a shit about game ratings, so if ratings based restrictions were ever imposed on me I would see it as a fundamental problem, yes.

It's classic "do as I say kids, not as I do" in this case ;)

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I would miss Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid and Suda games in my childhood. All this games were really important in my "gaming formation" but i would still enjoy videogames without them.

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
maybe *not* completely ruined, but pretty close.

No Persona
No SMT
No Yakuza
No DMC/Bayonetta
No GoW
No Dark Souls/Bloodborne
No Witcher
No Mass Effect

and so many more to miss out on....

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I can't say I pay attention to age ratings as I'm old and have been for a while but yes probably. I assume the games I've played and loved have been mostly 15 or 18 rated here in the UK. Until I play The Last of Us Part 2 I would appreciate them not banning M rated games from the planet.

MrWonderworld

Sep 18, 2018
Not really. I enjoy Nintendo's games the most. But I'd definitely miss Resident Evil and Silent Hill. Although the latter franchise seems to be pretty dead.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
Only about half of it. I mostly enjoy M-rated RPGs (with Witcher 3 being my favourite game) and Paradox grand strategy games (I have hundreds of hours clocked in each of Victoria 2, Hearts of Iron 4, Europa Universalis 4, Crusader Kings 2 and Stellaris), so the latter half of my gaming hobby would be unaffected by the exclusion of M-rated games.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
No. In fact, I find it worrisome that today there is such a high proportion of important games that are M-Rated.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
It would be problematic, yes. There's still be plenty of games I'd buy, but I'd rather not give up on stuff like Yakuza of Resident Evil

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I'd miss out on a few games/series I enjoy, but no, it would be far from ruined. There is still a ton left to play and love.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
The german pegi is really nice, all my Devil may crys are 16+, same with Nier: Automata and all the SMT+Persona.lol
Out of the 60-70 games that I have bought in the last 10 years only Bayonetta(2), Until Dawn and the Yakuza series are rated 18+.
This is really interesting. I'd miss them for sure but my hobby wouldn't be ruined.

Oct 28, 2017
As a primary Nintendo player I would say no. Ive purchased M rated games for my ps4/Xbox one but the only franchise i play a lot of thats M rated is Gears. I dont know if M rated Jrpgs even exist

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Ruined? No as I enjoy plenty of non M-rated games.

It would be lessened though as I like story-driven games and especially ones with adult themes (sex, violence, shocking things), violence is necessary in telling some stories (and unrealistic is not graphic enough) or certain types of gameplay, nudity is nice is sex scenes etc.

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
M is pretty much the same as PEGI 18 right? If so I could probably live with it. I'd miss Doom, Resident Evil and Silent Hill but it definitely wouldn't be the end of the world.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
It wouldn't be ruined but my choices would become more limited and I'd probably take more breaks from gaming as more than anything I crave variety. I'd feel the same in the opposite situation too.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say yes, although I don't care about ratings anymore - I just pick up what looks interesting to me.

That said, I think back in the PS2/early Xbox 360 era, there were more T rated games that looked cool, just due to the wider variety of developers and general availability of AA games. Nowadays, PC/indie games don't really have ratings (at least ones that consumers are actively aware of), so it's hard to know how things stack up to this era, where it seems like the coolest big name games are all M rated.

May 5, 2018
Honestly the only M rated games I'm looking forward to this year are Mortal Kombat 11, Sekiro and Doom Eternal (if that is a 2019 game). Otherwise most of the games I play are either rated E or T so not really. Last year I didn't play a single M rated game (though Obra Dinn would probably fall under that category but I don't think it officially got a rating from the ESRB).

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't even allowed Teen-rated games until I was like 15 lol.

It would mess with me, but I wouldn't be hit as hard as others. M probably makes up for like... 20% of what I play. A good enough portion, but not huge.

Retsudo

Oct 28, 2017
I've played M rated games as far as i can remember. And E/T/AO games aswell. My parents, like most of my friends parents didnt care, maybe because none of us were violent or got in trouble.

Late 80's/early 90's were a different time though, i dont remember anyone being troubled for selling me Mortal Kombat when i was a kid, or even mentioning i shouldnt be playing it.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. I would probably just quit gaming to be perfectly honest. Thankfully though, this isn't the case. :)

Alfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'd miss out on a lot of favorite series... Resident Evil, Mortal Kombat, Yakuza...freaking Deadly Premonition. Half those games I didn't even know were M-rated until I looked them up just now.

I don't know if my hobby would be "ruined." Maybe if like everyone else was allowed to play M-rated games but not me. That would probably turn me off from the hobby completely, seeing a bunch of cool games that I'd never be able to play for no logical reason. If M-rated games just stopped existing for everyone, that'd be fine. My gaming tastes would likely be different, but it wouldn't be ruined!