• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Tried to put together a build on pc part picker and wow, I hope it's not accurate. I can't get shit but a funky ass 1050ti if I don't want to get robbed. Wanted a new PC for my 4K TV but at this point? I'll wait. Will just cop a XB1X since I need a 4k Blu ray player anyways and just chill until the new gen for this year drops. Idc if they are rebranded last gen, I just want a 1070 level card at a reasonable price.

Last edited:

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yep it's horrible right now. I currently have a GTX760, 8GB DDR3 RAM and a i5 Haswell CPU. I would love to upgrade everything, but I think I will just update the RAM and the GPU if things look a little bit up in the future...

Horrible prices and they won't get better any time soon

YuriLowell

Oct 26, 2017
Cryptomining + RAM shortages.
I was looking into replacing my 2500k but I might just pick up an xbox one x.

Deleted member 4021

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully bitcoin crashes soon and everyone who's heavily invested in that scam goes broke.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Yeah, this is the first time in years where I would push potential buyers to consoles instead. Ram prices doubled. Good video cards basically don't even exist. I was smart/lucky. I bought all of my big PC parts before prices skyrocketed. And bought enough of it to last for a while.

Cryptomining for video cards. Price fixing and mobile devices for ram.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Basically ruined any chance of me building a PC as good as the one I built about 6 years ago without breaking the bank of my limited budget. Until cryptocurrency dies down or someone finds a cheaper way to do it without eating up the entirety of the mid-range GPU market, its going to suck. I don't see an end to the ram shortages if theres not a spike in production to match the demands of the consistently growing user base of smartphone users. Meanwhile in CPU land, everything seems to be great there, a wide range of good choices from both team red and blue.

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I just upgraded my CPU, motherboard and RAM to a Ryzen 5, 16gb DDR4 build and yea, I paid a lot less for something similar 4 years ago, I think I'll stay on my gtx 950 for a few more months

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
iPhones and bitcoins

You can't just blame apple for the nand flash shortage, everything needs it and the industry is transitioning to new technology. Not to mention EVERY smartphone needs it, as do game consoles, pre-built PC's, smart thermostats, ect. Apple makes a good whipping boy, but it isn't close to their fault.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I bought a 1060 a year or so ago and planned on replacing the rest by now, but it just doesn't really make sense, but atleast I got lucky on the GPU.

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018
I bought 16 gb DDR4 and an RX 480 in 2016 and now they cost like three times more...

Yup. Built mine in 2016 and need to update my GFs (was my old one from 2010 with a few updates since then), but the exact same RAM I put in mine is now more than 3x what it was in 2016. And it's DDR3 shit. Hope that thing can keep on trucking for a little while longer because right now even skipping the SSD and getting a lower end GPU than mine had, a new build costs more than mine. Looking to spend $200+ more than mine if I get a comparable GPU and an SSD.

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
I was lucky enough to buy stuff right before they shot up this year, twice. Built my PC before ETH + RAM shortage. Same RAM now costs more than twice. Upgraded GPU just before this new ETH boom. GPUs shot up by 10%, but that's for old stock. Going by Amazon prices, looks like it'll increase anywhere between 20-100%.

I can't really recommend building a new PC right now. It can even be cheaper to just buy a prebuilt and customize whatever you can.

Just wish cryptocurency would crash already. It's an absurdly power hungry thing that costs so much just to do one transaction. It's not even treated as a currency anymore.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I have been observing that too, and the current prices are ridiculous. Like many have said, my current DDR3 RAM price is 3x of what I paid for it in early 2016.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Buy an X/Pro and be done with it.

Wasn't drive by a shit posting no longer a thing?

As for the OP yeah, it's prolly the worst time as to build a PC due to the horird places caused by cryptocurrency.

I wanted to build a PC for one of my buddies buy we decided to wait till summer to see how prices fair out by then.

prag16

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm probably building an HTPC for my brother soon, but the intel integrated graphics are plenty for him. The only thing he'll get screwed on is the RAM. I hadn't checked GPU price/availability in a while and damn, I was floored. I was able to snag a 970 for effectively $250 almost three years ago and that is looking better and better. I guess I can wait another year or two for my full rebuild (2550k, 16GB DDR3 right now).

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buy an X/Pro and be done with it.

Really if I had to do it all again right now I'd probably just do this. They're a really good value, and PC prices are kind of insane lately. One of the biggest reasons I haven't, also, is my investment in Steam and my library there.

But yeah, I bought a 1070 when it came out and the rest of my system is from 2011 (2500k!). It's all still really serviceable, but scratch building now would be pretty tough. I've been meaning to upgrade my CPU but I really, really, really can't justify it. It would basically cost me about 500 bucks to just go to a modern, mid-range CPU given that I would also need a new motherboard and RAM, and RAM prices are so nuts. There's so much other stuff I could get for 500 bucks that would be better than a barely-noticeable PC upgrade.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OK wait, what the FUCK is going on with GPU stock..... GTX 1070s all selling through third parties for like 1000 bucks?

This is really disgraceful. I nabbed one at launch for $429 and even that felt like a gut punch.

Oct 25, 2017
OK wait, what the FUCK is going on with GPU stock..... GTX 1070s all selling through third parties for like 1000 bucks?

This is really disgraceful. I nabbed one at launch for $429 and even that felt like a gut punch.
It's the bitcoin mining. Nothing really "disgraceful" about it, just demand that can't be met.

Oct 30, 2017
Tell me about it...I REALLY wanna sell my 1070 and get a 1080 ti but not at those absurd prices. Damn bitcoin ruined everything and I hope that bubble bursts soon.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Yup.

Ram prices is crazy. Which I had built mine a few years ago. Was gonna be my first build....

The prices going up is why some of us guessed the minimum price for the one x was going to be 450.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
What exactly is the deal with RAM prices? I saw articles about probing into potential cartel agreements which makes sense to me. I don't see a supply/demand rational for such an increase in prices.

Oct 25, 2017

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
Yeh because that's exactly the same thing as a mid-high end gaming PC.

OP won't notice the difference!

Wasn't drive by a shit posting no longer a thing?

As for the OP yeah, it's prolly the worst time as to build a PC due to the horird places caused by cryptocurrency.

I wanted to build a PC for one of my buddies buy we decided to wait till summer to see how prices fair out by then.

If only X/Pro could do everything a gaming PC can do.
He was already going to, and given the exuberant prices, the X would be great value for a 4K TV (Not monitor).

It has back compat and everything.

davidnolan13

Oct 27, 2017
north east uk
i wanted to upgrade around now and when i saw the prices i said bollocks to that and bought a switch and pro instead. my pc will have to last another year, for the type of games i play it should be ok.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really hope this mining nonsense collapses soon it's making life miserable for the rest of us PC users. I'm not looking forward to the new GPUs coming and the chaos that will cause at first.

prag16

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It feels like I've been waiting forever for things to calm down. I think this is just the new normal now.
It's not. The bitcoin nonsense has absolutely no basis. None. There's literally nothing behind it.

The only people for which any of this bullshit has any use right now:
1. Speculators
2. Criminals

And #1 is going to catch the interest of the CFTC and/or SEC before too long. And #2 is gonna catch the interest of some of your other usual alphabet agencies. It's only a matter of time until authorities step in, and that's assuming it doesn't collapse under its own weight all on its own well before that.

Who knows on the timing, but it's all bullshit and will come to an end. And as usual it'll be in great part at the expense of the little guys who thought they could get in to try to turn a profit most likely.