• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
I've rented Sicario on blu-ray and popped it into my PS4, I'd seen some of it on netflix before and the picture was pretty good but on blu-ray it looks on par with Netflix's 4K streams(I own a 4k TV set). The clarity, the color, the smoothness of the motion its all so beautiful. Now I'm curious about 4K blu-ray films if I'm being this impressed by a true 1080p resolution with no compression. Is a 4K blu ray player worth it? I really wanna be part of this 4k HDR wave

Brau

Senior Artist
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Finland
^^^^ this.

4k UHD is awesome. Add to it some nice Dolby Vision or proper HDR and its so good.

Deleted member 8136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A 4K stream has about the same bandwidth as a standard blu-ray, so it has about the same quality.
A 4K disc gives you the same quality jump you get from a standard blu-ray compared to a 1080p stream.
So yes, 4K BR are absolutely worth it, especially on a good TV.

Deleted member 12177

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We had this discussion recently. My take as a video enthusiast for over a decade:

In a rating of quality: 4K BR, good streaming 4K, Sky Q 4K (no hdr), 1080p BR, 1080p good streaming, broadcast HD, dvd

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Physical media currently has edge in terms of bit rate, but I don't see any reason why this can't change in the future.

I suppose it all depends on the new physical formats. If they can stay ahead.. And somehow stay profitable..

But internet speeds are advancing fast enough that it might not end up mattering.

Zatoichi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Most notable on my projector, a 1080p stream is OK but a Bluray just blows it away.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Hijacking the thread a little OP, since we're on the topic of Blu-ray, I'm actually planning to get a UHD player in the comings months. What are the most recommended players/brands to get, or are they all pretty much indistinguishable?

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Normal (non UHD) Blu Rays are said to have maximum bit rates of up to 50Mbps and this is without HV265 encoding. Netflix 4K uses H265 and I can get an internet plan for 100Mbps at my house. We're kind of already there. Of course not everyone has access to such speeds however so a streaming experience which matches BluRays is maybe uncommon but not impossible.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I once wanted to watch an episode of TNG and Netflix was easier to use than fumbling through my blurays. But my god, I instantly saw the difference! I turned it off and popped in the disc instead.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Would have loved some comparison screenshots... I guess I could test it out with one of my Blurays/Netflix but... Ah that's why I come to ResetEra!

/s

Wait what is this bit-rate edge y'all are saying physical media has?

DieEnteWurzel

Oct 31, 2017
Was the first 4k disc i bought after buying a 4k hdr tv and 4k player. It was crazy.
Not surprising, the original Planet Earth BD was the first BD I bought together with my PS3 and first FullHD set. It was mind blowing
Haven't watched Planet Earth II yet because I want to see it on UHD on a 4K OLED for the first time :)

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Yea I'd take a 1080p Blu-ray over a 4K Netflix stream any day. Netflix still doesn't even support lossless audio, it's inferior to physical media in every way except convenience.

I can't wait to get Annihilation on UHD so I can see it and hear it properly.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Normal (non UHD) Blu Rays are said to have maximum bit rates of up to 50Mbps and this is without HV265 encoding. Netflix 4K uses H265 and I can get an internet plan for 100Mbps at my house. We're kind of already there. Of course not everyone has access to such speeds however so a streaming experience which matches BluRays is maybe uncommon but not impossible.

UHD Blu-Ray often peaks at around 100Mbps. We're a very long way away from that being an average consumer experience on domestic internet.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Buy physical Blu Rays, people. No better way to experience a movie or TV show at home, given a proper transfer. And even if it has a bad transfer, whatever streaming service it's available on probably uses the same source, so Blu Ray would still be the best way to experience it. Support higher standards for TV/film consumption.

Now wait until you experience 4k UHD, OP.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is it the Xbox One S supports 4K blu Ray but not the PS4 Pro?

Deleted member 8136

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hijacking the thread a little OP, since we're on the topic of Blu-ray, I'm actually planning to get a UHD player in the comings months. What are the most recommended players/brands to get, or are they all pretty much indistinguishable?
The (discontinued) Oppo player is heads and shoulders above the rest. If you don't want to spring for that kind of money, the rest of the standalone players as well as the Xbox 1S/X do their job.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully the One X gets DV support. That's all I want. I'll pay for it if they want t.

Oct 27, 2017
The type of compression are different, like mp3 vs aac, so direct bit rate comparisons are a joke.

4K streaming can deliver the same quality at a lower bit rate than standard Blu-ray. Add in HDR and saying standard Blu-ray are equal or better than 4K streaming is an outright lie.

Netflix is the worst source for comparison though, as they add even more compression. iTunes and Vudu is where it's at, and they are so good that the increased cost and inconvenience of uhd Blu-ray is no longer worth it unless your an obsessed pixel counter.

sonofsamsonite

The one who likes mustard
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, I've got an X and have enjoyed the 4K Blu-Rays I have.

I just rented Baby Driver on my new 4K Apple TV and it's allegedly 4K HDR. We shall see.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, the technology is all there, and actually been there for a while, it's just ISPs being generally horrible that is holding it back.
True. My connection could handle.a full 4k UHD stream, 4k blu-ray bit rate, but the max I've seen which is Vudu barely tickles the connection.

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
iTunes 4K DV streams are above standard Blu-ray. Check em out. If you want to spend $5 a movie instead of $30.

Gashprex

Oct 25, 2017
iTunes 4k HDR streams are basically UHD quality based on side by side reviews - only small loss of details in the backgrounds

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've been stanning Bluray forever but moved into a new apartment with Fiber and no Blu-ray player. I was watching Pacific Rim on my Apple TV and thought it looked pretty damn good. Weirdly enough I think I'm gonna trade in some clarity for convenience.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I personally can't tell a huge difference between a Blu-ray and a 4K Blu-ray but in certain movies, the HDR really stands out.

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
4k bluray prices are still utterly ridiculous, so I'm not in a hurry to get any (or a player, for that matter).

Jumpman64

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I have a good projector and 120 inch screen. Most streams in hd look so crappy compared to actual physical disc. It gets very noticeable when your screen gets big.

Vudu hdx best stream quality followed by Apple and Netflix