Votes: 123 30.4%
  • Luke Wilson

Votes: 24 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 8 2.0%

• Total voters

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
I was watching TV today and the film "The Internship" came on. It's a pretty decent movie, but the thing that really stands out is the chemistry between Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn. Funnily, I had just rewatched Shanghai Noon a few weeks ago and thought a similar thing about the chemistry between Jackie Chan and Wilson. This made me start to think: is Owen Wilson the GOAT buddy-star? That is, an actor that elevates the likability of another comedic actor through their on-screen chemistry together. Although Owen Wilson has certainly been the headline star in many of his own movies, I would argue that his most memorable roles are those where he's paired with another comedic actor. This brought me to another question: who is Owen Wilson's best pairing? He's been paired with a lot of comedic actors over the years to, imo, varying degrees of success. So what pairing has been the greatest?

wowowne.jpg

In the poll I've included some of this more notorious pairings.
Ben Stiller: Zoolander, Starsky and Hutch, Night at the Museum.
Jackie Chan: Shanghai Noon, Shanghai Knights
Vince Vaughn: The Internship, Wedding Crashers
Luke Wilson: Bottle Rocket.

Others to consider for the "others" option: Eddie Murphy (I-Spy), Ed Helms (Father Figures), Larry the Cableguy (Cars series).

For me it's has be Ben Stiller, which is probably the most basic/standard answer. Ben Stiller's more straight guy persona just meshes really well with Owen Wilson who often gets to play more loose characters. Especially in Zoolander and Starsky and Hutch; I think the two are better when they're on screen together than when they are separate. Wouldn't find issue with a lot of the other options, but this one is just what I think of when I think of Owen Wilson's best comedic work.

What do you all think?

Ramsiege

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Jackie Chan. The Shanghai movies were more fun than the Rush Hour movies and the chemistry between the two was fantastic.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Jackie Chan. The Shanghai movies were more fun than the Rush Hour movies and the chemistry between the two was fantastic.
This is the answer.

Isn't Jackie like a CCP hardliner now? I know he grew strongly disillusioned with Hollywood. Doesn't he still do lots of Chinese films though?

Last edited:

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
His best two movies are Zoolander and The Royal Tenenbaums... The common factor there is Ben Stiller.

OP
OP
Rapscallion

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
Him and Vince Vaughn are just entire movies of improv and bouncing off each other. So them.
Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson definitely have a lot of chemistry together and would probably be my second choice in this, but there's something about when there's a greater difference between the personalities that I think I like more and subsequently get with some of his other pairings. That said, the movie the Internship only works because of the two of them being funny together.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Wilson connected on a whole different level with Chan and the movies are more wholesome compared to Rush Hour.

The fighting scenes being superior helps too.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
This first movie I saw Wilson in and my favorite movie, with Jim Carrey in The Cable Guy.

Alongside Jack black, David Cross and Bob Odenkirk.

Also Ben Stiller's directorial debut.

Lss.gif

For a movie that stars Owen Wilson, I like him with Jackie Chan in Shanghai Noon/Knights, both of them.

Last edited:

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Considering I really don't care for Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn is just kind of okay to me and I liked them as a buddy pair in the 2 Shanghai movies, definitely Jackie.

You said wet shirt don't break, not piss shirt bend bar!

OP
OP
Rapscallion

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
Ben Stiller. As you forgot Meet the Parents.
I thought about including it, but his role is pretty dialed back in that one. The bigger pairing in those films of course are Di Nero and Stiller as well.

Why is Ben stiller even there his usually plays rival to Wilson..

I mean, Ben Stiller is the one he is most commonly paired with. Their characters usually come around to liking each other or working together like in Zoolander and Starsky and Hutch. You could make the same argument for Jackie Chan and Wilson's relationship in the Shanghai movies.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
You all are making me feel bad for not watching the Jackie Chan movies. They always looked like second rate Chan films.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Bottle Rocket by a mile. I can only think its low rating here is because a lot of people haven't seen it. Unpopular opinion, but I actually think I-Spy is a bit underrated.

OP
OP
Rapscallion

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
You all are making me feel bad for not watching the Jackie Chan movies. They always looked like second rate Chan films.
Some may disagree, but I think they're a step down from Rush Hour 1 and 2. Still very fun and going for that same kind of dichotomy between the two stars, but I think Rush Hour just does it slightly better. But also fuck Brett Ratner, so there's a reason to remember Shanghai Noon more fondly than the Rush Hour films.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
While him and Jackie are no Chris Tucker and Jackie, they were still a lot of fun together.

Vowel Sounds

Sep 8, 2020
Wes Anderson. Wilson co-wrote Bottle Rocket, Rushmore, and The Royal Tennenbaums, and his performances in Anderson movies are his best by far.

kidtamagotchi

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, compared to Jackie's Hong Kong films, they are. To me, the Shanghai Noon series is the best American Jackie Chan film franchise. So much better than the Rush Hour movies. I wish we could've gotten a third Shanghai Noon movie.

You can guess the pairing I voted for...

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The true GOAT is Luke Wilson and Vince Vaughn in Old School, but I'll settle for Owen and Vince in Wedding Crashers.