• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Last winter in North NJ was over 6 months! There seems be an opposite effect here.
Climate change also leads to an increase of extreme events, meaning higher highs and lower lows. The climate system is really complex, which is why the moniker "global warming" can be confusing to some. It does not mean that it just gets warmer everywhere and that's it. Positive feedback cycles in particular can be a huge problem for us.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Not a damn thing mentioned about New Orleans?

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
All the personal consumption stuff is good and all but we also need large scale, top-down change of how we structure our society (cars, industries, etc).

Vote left, vote radical.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kind of sucks that this is hitting the urban coasts first, but also karmically appropriate.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
This might be a stupid statement but is there a reason that desal isnt being brought online on a massive scale along the coasts?

Could the land locked communities in the SW not petition and pay for the pumping of desal ocean water to them thus both sustaining themselves and potentially (if done in large enough scale) lowering sea level? Or would there not be a way to move the volumes of water required?

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know. I would become a vegetarian if I could (I'm not giving up cheese and milk though) but it's not possible right now. But people won't change, we have a culture where we think that everything is fine and we can do whatever we want, and that's a problem.

And something that makes this even worse is that there's nowhere to escape to. There's no habitable planets around us. We don't even have an "Oasis" (the virtual reality universe from Ready Player One). This is the world I'm growing up in and I hate it.

We can become mole people, I guess.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
All the personal consumption stuff is good and all but we also need large scale, top-down change of how we structure our society (cars, industries, etc).

Vote left, vote radical.

This is where I land. Individuals making changes here and there are good, but we're well beyond people volunteering to make changes. Governments need to wake up and step in and take agressive steps.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
This is where I land. Individuals making changes here and there are good, but we're well beyond people volunteering to make changes. Governments need to wake up and step in and take agressive steps.
Yup.

I never had a car.

Eat beef once a week at best.

Have no AC.

Have no kids and don't intend to have them.

Been living like this for 10 years. The climate gets worse and worse. My contribution is basically non existant because I'm in the absolute minority with power/resource consumption.

Personally the worst changes wont hit me. And since I wont have any kids, I have no stake in how humanity handles this challenge (ignore, take it slow, radical etc.), I'll be long gone. But I'm down for whatever. If current and future parents care about their childrens future, I'll help. If not, then thats ok too I guess.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
837xRs3.png
Great, all the climate change deniers in the south get to avoid the worst effects and continue to pretend like nothing is changing while the rest of the country burns. Ugh.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This might be a stupid statement but is there a reason that desal isnt being brought online on a massive scale along the coasts?

Could the land locked communities in the SW not petition and pay for the pumping of desal ocean water to them thus both sustaining themselves and potentially (if done in large enough scale) lowering sea level? Or would there not be a way to move the volumes of water required?
Desalination is expensive and difficult to do on a large scale. Certainly not on the scale needed for a massive agricultural state like California.

Lowering sea levels would be impossible for two reasons: The volume of water required is absurdly huge, and using the water eventually just returns it to the sea anyway.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
There are workable solutions to many of the problems we're facing as a result of climate change. And the rest are all being worked on by brilliant, dedicated people all over the world. We're going to get through this.

Deleted member 11113

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I implore everyone who is concerned about the destruction of nature, the mass-extinction of species and climate breakdown to join Extinction Rebellion and The Climate Strike. Doing individual lifestyle changes is fantastic, but we also need to demand change from our politicians. It's how women got the vote, how Black Americans got civil rights and how India freed itself rom British rule. We can't wait around and hope that someone will make it better; we have to do it ourselves.

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
Great, all the climate change deniers in the south get to avoid the worst effects and continue to pretend like nothing is changing while the rest of the country burns. Ugh.

Exactly. It's a shame places like Texas and Florida don't seem to be feeling the effects. Although I'm sure they'd find some way to shift the blame.