• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Omega have rolled out their online store for many regions now. The UK been the latest.

file

I wonder if Rolex will be tempted to do the same at some point.

MM300

Dec 23, 2018
Thats gorgeous, did you change the crystal?

I didn't. It's the Seiko SLA017, a limited edition watch a couple years back, and topped with one of the best box-shaped crystals I've seen. Crazy curves on it. Love the effect of the bent, refracted indices at the edges.

Another pic I took a while back.

sy5VLk2.jpg

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't. It's the Seiko SLA017, a limited edition watch a couple years back, and topped with one of the best box-shaped crystals I've seen. Crazy curves on it. Love the effect of the bent, refracted indices at the edges.

Another pic I took a while back.

sy5VLk2.jpg
God I hate you sooooo much...lolz

62mas was love at first sight for me and I regret getting a new speedy instead of going pre-loved so I could own both.

Oct 27, 2017
I went hiking a week back and took my Alpinist but decided a bit stupidly to wear a leather strap. It got pretty sweaty and gross so I lightly washed it. Seems better now but I figure I probably should have put it on something more suited to outdoorsy stuff. I just did a bit of looking around and bought a perlon strap, seems to be a pretty good choice.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
I keep a simple $50 Timex with rubber strap just for outdoors activities, from mowing to chainsaw work to hiking/camping. That said I think I'd love a serious trail watch with a sapphire crystal. Looks like a few options out there, time to go shopping...

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I didn't know there was a wristwatch community on ResetEra! I've always enjoyed wearing watches, even well after their functional necessity faded upon receiving my first cellphone as a teen. Early on, I could only afford Timex at best with my limited chore/lawn money, and I got a blue faced Fossil watch for my 13th birthday. I wore that watch for six or seven years until I felt like I could splurge on a nice Citizen EcoDrive Chrono while I was on a cruise with my family. For the longest time after that, I wanted a nice automatic watch. I got a Seiko 5 out of college, but it didn't quite scratch that itch. I got an amazing deal on the Raymond Weil Maestro Moonphase watch on Jomashop around New Year's Eve this past January (over 60% off, essentially what it costs used), which I think is a gorgeous timepiece that surprisingly keeps excellent time.
This scratched the itch for a real Swiss timepiece for a few months, but over time I found that I wanted something more. The watch was versatile and went with most of what I wear, but I was really feeling a hankering for a good diver. I've had a pretty good year so far, and my annual bonus was well in excess of what I expected, so I started going to jewelers to try on watches (mostly divers) from dozens of brands at varying price points. I tried on tons of watches that were well outside of my comfort zone (Rolex, Audemars Piguet, Vacheron Constantin, Ulysse Nardin, etc) because why not? I looked at Tag, Oris, Nomos, Breitling, Omega, and many others. The watch that I kept coming back to was this toolish diver with an arresting matte blue face and the brightest and most gorgeous lume you've ever seen: the Tudor Pelagos.
I've always loved blue watches, ever since my first blue Fossil. The moment I saw the dial, I knew I had to have it. It's similar to my favorite Rolex (the Smurf Submariner), which I've come to terms with never finding or being able to afford. The titanium case and bracelet along with the matte finish on the dial and the ceramic bezel lend the watch an understated, toolish look that is somewhat undercut by the arresting shade of blue on the dial. It has an extremely satisfying bezel action, with a 70 hour power reserve and a 500m depth rating that it will never see, as the only diving I do is at my desk. It came with both a blue rubber strap and the titanium bracelet, and I'm still not sure which I like more, though changing the strap can be a pain with the super tight Rolex tolerances to get at the spring bar pins. The jeweler hooked me up with a 20% discount, and I was thrilled to pay grey market prices at retail. This has become my everyday wear, and I don't see myself making another watch purchase for at least a couple of years (my bank account would get awful mad at me). Bonus lume shot below:

hockeypuck

Oct 29, 2017
My slow but steady quest continues for a really nice GMT watch at 40 mm or smaller.

First, I take back what I said earlier about quartz watches; essentially poo-pooing them when BriareosGAF suggested one model.
Quartz for a travel watch is always excellent. The GMT hand would be one more to adjust at the start of a trip, on mechanical watches. Plus the Grand Seiko quartz models are accurate to 5-10 seconds per year.

Here's what I've gathered and my critiques after each brand:
Grand Seiko, thirteen models
SBGN001, -003, -005, -007, -009 (quartz, 40 mm x 12.2 mm dimensions)
SBGM221, -235 (mech, 39.5 x 13.7)
SBGJ217, -219 (mech, 39.5 x 13.9)
SBGJ201, -203, -211, -213 (mech, 40 x 14)
Cons:
1. I already have a Grand Seiko. Let's spread the love
2. The mechanicals are obviously thick. Not the good thicc.

Nomos, two models
Tangomat GMT (40 x 10.9)
Zürich World Time (39.9 x 10.9)
Cons:
1. I already have a Nomos. Let's spread the love
2. Both watches are world-timers. I've learned to not like the vast majority of world-timers since they don't take into account DST adjustments.

Sinn, three models
756 Diapal (40 x 14)
Modell 6000 (38.5 x 15.5) beating Grand Seiko! but also has a chronograph
856 UTC (40 x 11)
Cons:
1. I already have a Sinn. Let's spread the love
2. off-the-shelf movements (ETA, Valjoux)
3. Diapal and Modell are 12 hour GMTs. C'mon Sinn.

Montblanc Heritage GMT (40 x 11.8)
Cons:
1. off-the-shelf movement (modified ETA). Otherwise, a solid contender!

Rolex GMT-Master II (40 x 12.1)
Cons:
1. I have to wait 10 years
2. $$$

A. Lange & Söhne Saxonia Dual Time (38.4 x 9.2), thanks Tryptobphan for the suggestion
Cons:
1. I already have a Lange. Let's spread the lo-haha, just kidding

Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Dual Time (39 x 10.3)
Cons:
1. $$$$$$$$$ffffff$$$$$$$$
2. Royal Oaks seem to be third, behind Rolex steel and Patek, in terms of "Punkass kid, get it line."

Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Geographic (39 x 11.77) Hundredths of a millimeter. Bravo, JLC.
Cons:
1. World-timer. See my critique on Nomos.
2. Literally the only one on this finely curated list where I dislike the dial. World-timer pusher, yet it's the hour hand on the SUBDIAL that changes! Why did JLC put the local time in the subdial? That implies the wearer isn't the one traveling; everyone else is and he gets to keep track of them. Lange 1 Time Zone gets a pass because it's >40 mm and I can ignore it. World-timers, I swear.

Omega, IWC, Glashütte Original, Tudor, Blancpain, Stowa, Damasko, Oris, Tag Heuer, Vacheron Constantin, Patek Philippe currently do not offer men's GMT watches =< 40 mm.

Having looked through this list, I've come to two logical conclusions-- wait until Baselworld/SIHH 2020 through 2025, and start saving money for the ALS Dual Time. And/or GS quartz. Together with that Montblanc. FWIW, watch dial style wasn't a major factor, surprisingly. I would happily wear any of the watches listed above. Except the JLC one (surprisingly). For GMTs that I've looked at so far, case size and in-house movement use have far outweighed stylistic choices.

Last edited:

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
That covers a very broad spectrum price wise, which isn't a realistic method of selecting anything. Plus why must it be new?

hockeypuck

Oct 29, 2017
That covers a very broad spectrum price wise, which isn't a realistic method of selecting anything. Plus why must it be new?
Although my post was partly tongue-in-cheek, I'm quite serious when considering those watches. I am limiting myself to 9 total watches in my collection, since my watch box can only hold 8 and I think 9 is a good enough number for great timepieces. Maybe that'll change in the future, but I can see myself capping at 9 for years. The watches in my watch box range in price from $11 to $15,000+.

Swiss and other watches serve a more jewelry function than in decades past, so I'm giving myself a wider casting net for prices. The ALS Saxonia Dual Time retails for more than twice the Rolex GMT Master II, but I would seriously consider either, assuming the latter was available for purchase. The difference in price between the Rolex and the Montblanc is smaller than the difference between the ALS and the Rolex. When I eventually purchase a GMT, I probably won't buy another, because I'm saving that last watch box spot for a chronograph. I understand that price is a major factor when choosing watches, but for me it serves more as a cap than a range, because of the other limitations I've given myself and I am fortunate to have the disposable income to save for jewelry. It's been fun putting together this list.

I haven't considered used watches because I've only bought new. That's on me. I guess my reasons are similar to those who prefer to purchase new cars. I should look at used models.

Last edited:

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
I haven't considered used watches because I've only bought new. That's on me. I guess my reasons are similar to those who prefer to purchase new cars. I should look at used models.

You can save a serious amount of money buying used, similar to buying used cars vs. new cars. However, I also shop like you do. I tend to buy only new since I know only I will be the first owner. Especially if it's something special, I tend to like buying new for the reason that I will be its first and probably only owner.

With that said, I love the A. Lange & Sohne Dual Time, however, you can save some money if you buy it used. It's a watch that has been around for a while so you can look for the first version (if you are OK with the aesthetics vs. the updated model) and save some money. The money saved could go towards that chronograph you want.

If you like travel time watches, too, Patek Philippe has a few in their Nautilus and Complicated series of watches that function similarly to the A. Lange & Sohne Dual Time hands (one hour hand hidden behind another hour hand until the travel time button is pressed). Used Patek Philippe travel time watches also go for much less if you look for older models, too.

Anyways, the hunt is always fun. Update us when you find something you like or purchase.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
Not something I expected to see a Seamaster Pro on. Not really even a shark mesh, which this obviously isn't. Gives off that tropical vacation vibe, I guess?

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I never knew ResetEra had a watch community.

I'm a piece of shit who buys replicas with clone ETA 2824 and Miyota 9015 movements though.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
The new wave dials don't look right. It's too pronounced - the old style was much better. The steel mesh only looks right on one style of diver, and that's the ultra-tool ones like the 300 or the ploprof. Maaaaaybe the PO can pull it off as well....but a desk diver like the regular Seamaster pros? Not a chance. Big whiff by Omega on this one.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I am loving my latest purchase. Can't stop staring at it.

I had just bought a Seiko SBDC063 a few weeks ago, but then had to chance to get this at a great price and it hasn't left my wrist.
I'll post the Seiko soon but for now, here's the Omega Railmaster 60th Anniversary LE.

48226716482_a03ca7ecb7_h.jpg

48226716452_2c3f436bf9_h.jpg

I need to get the bracelet resized so I'm wearing it on the included NATO until then.

48253902632_716dd5ae36_h.jpg

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
I am loving my latest purchase. Can't stop staring at it.

I had just bought a Seiko SBDC063 a few weeks ago, but then had to chance to get this at a great price and it hasn't left my wrist.
I'll post the Seiko soon but for now, here's the Omega Railmaster 60th Anniversary LE.

48226716482_a03ca7ecb7_h.jpg

48226716452_2c3f436bf9_h.jpg

I need to get the bracelet resized so I'm wearing it on the included NATO until then.

48253902632_716dd5ae36_h.jpg
Welcome to the Omega club! That's a lovely piece you have there. It's definitely a keeper and a legacy watch to keep in your family and pass down.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Very nice, was looking at a used Railmaster the other day and quite tempted. Still prefer the more outre aesthetics on the Milgauss, though. Decisions, decisions.

Oct 27, 2017
Damn that's beautiful. Congrats on the purchase.

My Alpinist continues to be be daily driver. I switched to a series of perlon straps for the summer, much easier to wear in the NYC heat. Still over here wafting back and forth between the Moonwatch and Explorer. Back on the Moonwatch track right now... one day.

I'm also thinking of getting a Seiko SARB035.

Oct 27, 2017
My G-Shock GW-M5610-1ER got lost during a trip so instead of buying a new one I went all the way and got a GMW-B5000D-1ER The polished sides reflect light so much! I'm very happy with my purchase and I can wear it at pretty much every occasion. Best compromise between style, low maintenance, features, size and durability.

20190711_224712nyk7z.jpg

Click

Nov 22, 2017
My G-Shock GW-M5610-1ER got lost during a trip so instead of buying a new one I went all the way and got a GMW-B5000D-1ER The polished sides reflect light so much! I'm very happy with my purchase and I can wear it at pretty much every occasion. Best compromise between style, low maintenance, features, size and durability.

The white one looks super slick, how hard is it to keep clean? They remind me of clean all white sneakers

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Welcome to the Omega club! That's a lovely piece you have there. It's definitely a keeper and a legacy watch to keep in your family and pass down.

Appreciate it haha. Though I do own a Speedmaster already so I've been a part of the club for a little while now.

Very nice, was looking at a used Railmaster the other day and quite tempted. Still prefer the more outre aesthetics on the Milgauss, though. Decisions, decisions.

I'd love a green-glassed Milgauss.

20190711_224712nyk7z.jpg

Those all metal G-Shocks are cool.
I've been wanting to pick one of these up. I love the all-red look.

98XHF68.jpg

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Very much considering another Omega acquisition in the Globemaster in addition to my Aqua Terra. Tried one on in an Omega Boutique and it felt just right on my wrist.

omega_globemaster_baselworld_2015_3_by_edmonddantes9285_ddboral-pre.jpg

Tim Mosso on the blue dial Globemaster:

easter

Nov 15, 2017
that globemaster is a beauty. disclaimer: i am a sucker for watches, in general. for that type of watch would you buy from AD, boutique, or second hand?

Oct 27, 2017
when I went to the omega boutique a few months to try on a few omegas... it was def a fun experience. i can see the appeal. can see myself going that route when i eventually pull the trigger.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
I have an old brown dial Seiko 5 that I want to convert to a more casual watch, and was thinking of getting a NATO band. What color do you think would match a brown dial well? I'm thinking like a sand color or navy blue.

The blue/brown combination is tried and tested albeit the other way round usually.

A sand coloured nato would be more unique though, but ultimately it's what you'd prefer to see on a day-to-day basis.

If you can stretch your budget, get both colours and vary the look weekly/monthly depending on how you feel.

Easystride

Oct 27, 2017
The blue/brown combination is tried and tested albeit the other way round usually.

A sand coloured nato would be more unique though, but ultimately it's what you'd prefer to see on a day-to-day basis.

If you can stretch your budget, get both colours and vary the look weekly/monthly depending on how you feel.
Im odd and I like to have the most unique look to my watches - so I would probably go with a sand-ostrich band.

Thanks guys! I guess NATO watch bands won't break the bank by any means. I think I'll start with a sand color one and see how I like it. This Seiko 5 was my first watch, and its kind of just been sitting around since I've upgraded, and I kind of want to work it back into the rotation.