• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks guys! I guess NATO watch bands won't break the bank by any means. I think I'll start with a sand color one and see how I like it. This Seiko 5 was my first watch, and its kind of just been sitting around since I've upgraded, and I kind of want to work it back into the rotation.
I just realized I also said sand like how Edmond Dantès did lol. I misread his post haha, glad to know we got similar tastes
Def take a picture after and post it for us to see :)

softtack

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone identify the watch that Helmut Marko is wearing?

8ayl47cfo8d31shjue.jpg

Easystride

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I finally got the first of NATO bands (sand to come). I ordered from Etsy. Definitely pleased with the result. I am very nostalgic for this watch as it was my first automatic, but don't want to spend much money cleaning it up since I don't wear it very often anymore.
LNaAIe5.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
love natos

it's been awhile since I ordered any new ones, but the last one I got was the chevron strap from crown and buckle which is supposed to be a "homeage" (*cough* knock off) to the tudor strap, and it's real nice (albeit not tudor quality)

pmGJymk.jpg

single pass which helps with the bulkiness

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
If you had €2000-€3000, would you rather buy a Grand Seiko quartz or a Casio Oceanus? I like those two

grand-seiko-sbgv205-quartz_image-03.jpg
i-img842x1200-1534416972ywxkfu30651.jpg
Out of the two, I'd go with the Casio. Grand Seiko's are fine watches, but that particular model doesn't do much for me.

But, ultimately you have to follow your heart with these kinds of choices. Whichever one you feel you can wear day in, day out. Something you enjoy putting on your wrist, and not a watch that you wear enthusiastically for a few weeks, then leave in your drawer for example, and never wear again.

Also, if you're not absolutely dead cert on those two choices, you can pick up a very nice Oris automatic watch in that price range, or even a second hand Omega.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
The GS for sure, but the aesthetics on the Casio are diametrically opposed to mine, so no surprise there.

That said at that price point I'd get a used Omega Railmaster.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
The other end of the Casio scale. Budget minimalism in the form of the £25 Casio MTP-E133L. I quite like the colourful strap design but the leather is horrible and it's way too long, so I'm going to change it.

nidWglt.jpg

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Interstellar is one of my favorite movies.

I'm quite tempted to get one of the watches from the film. There's of course Matthew McConaughey's day date pilot:

H64615135_8.png

And the recently released "Murph"

h70605731.png

The Murph is around a thousand which is a bit much, the pilot can be had for around $600.

The bigger issue for me is that they're both 42mm. I have 6.75ish inch wrists so they might not wear well. I have a Citizen titanium eco drive that's supposedly 42 and it wears great...I really need to try one.

Might try and convince the wife to get one of these for my birthday.

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
Titanium movement is quite impressive, as it's a much harder material to work with compared to stainless steel.

Still that's crazy money.

this_guy

Oct 26, 2017
Picked up my first mechanical watch: Nomos Club Campus. It's a 38.5 mm hand-wind model and wears larger than the 38.5 mm size would suggest due to the lug to lug size. The stock strap size fit a tad too loose, but I contacted Nomos and they shipped out a new smaller strap. That was nice of them considering I didn't buy it directly from Nomos.

It's a great every day watch and extremely versatile. It can be dressed up with a brown or black leather strap, but the stock grey velour leather keeps things casual.

gceZAPy_d.jpg
nJt8auO_d.jpg
P4MpeTK_d.jpg
Wbmlyur_d.jpg

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
That's a beautiful watch. You made a really good choice. I love that movement, that's one of the nicest looking movements you can get. You should wear it with one of Nomos' cordovan leather straps. They're some of the nicest straps out there. A playful watch that can be dressed up is one of the nicest kinds of watches.

this_guy

Oct 26, 2017
That's a beautiful watch. You made a really good choice. I love that movement, that's one of the nicest looking movements you can get. You should wear it with one of Nomos' cordovan leather straps. They're some of the nicest straps out there. A playful watch that can be dressed up is one of the nicest kinds of watches.

Thanks. I wasn't too keen on the California dial (arabic/Roman numerals) when seeing pictures online, but in person the size and proportions just work for me. I thought I preferred the look of the Tangente or Metro models, but again seeing them in person I thought they were too dressy and dainty.

I'm either getting a dive watch next or Zenith El Primero next. Too many chronographs are on the large side but the Zenith looks great, comes in 38 mm, and is only 12.5 mm thick.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
Is there any cheaper alternative that looks like the SLA017?

Its beautiful but damn its expensive. (3800euro)

maxresdefault.jpg

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
First thing that comes to mind is the Oris Divers Sixty-Five, but looked it up and it's costly anyway, at ~2k EUR (which is still less than the almost 4k for the Seiko).

If you're looking for a REALLY cheap diver with a blocky case, I guess there might be some Vostok Amphibia for you. :-P

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
Thanks. I wasn't too keen on the California dial (arabic/Roman numerals) when seeing pictures online, but in person the size and proportions just work for me. I thought I preferred the look of the Tangente or Metro models, but again seeing them in person I thought they were too dressy and dainty.

I'm either getting a dive watch next or Zenith El Primero next. Too many chronographs are on the large side but the Zenith looks great, comes in 38 mm, and is only 12.5 mm thick.

I'm actually fan of the Tangente as well. I personally prefer dress watches overall since I stopped wearing my sport watches unless I'm going swimming or workout. However, I bought the Nomos Club Nacht (brown dial) because I thought the California dial was so unique. Again, I love Nomos for their playful design, but to also blend into the more formal occasions.

hockeypuck

Oct 29, 2017

maxresdefault.jpg
The major detail that makes that Seiko stand out compared to cheaper Submariner clones/homages are the nicely applied markers, including a date border. If a printed dial is no big deal to you, then there are many options, including the Squale diver watch. $900 USD. 500m water resistance.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas

maxresdefault.jpg

Vintage? It's really only the original, and the "poor man's 62MAS" divers like the Seiko 7005-8052 (and various other references). Same handset.

kfnHbRy.jpg

Or even the Seiko Seahorse which is very close sans bezel as seen here: https://www.fratellowatches.com/seiko-seahorse-6601-8830-watch-review-62mas/

TiUYEhI.jpg

New?
Well, Seiko released the "modern" reinterpretations of the SLA017 as the SBP051 and SPB053 and a couple other later ones, but they don't look like the 62MAS to me. Other than that, there are homage watches, but I'm not a fan of those.

Picked up my first mechanical watch: Nomos Club Campus. It's a 38.5 mm hand-wind model and wears larger than the 38.5 mm size would suggest due to the lug to lug size. The stock strap size fit a tad too loose, but I contacted Nomos and they shipped out a new smaller strap. That was nice of them considering I didn't buy it directly from Nomos.

It's a great every day watch and extremely versatile. It can be dressed up with a brown or black leather strap, but the stock grey velour leather keeps things casual.

gceZAPy_d.jpg

What a great first choice. I love their take on the California dial. You got a really nice color combo too.
I should wear my Club more.

21150025615_efa038fc25_h.jpg

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
Vintage? It's really only the original, and the "poor man's 62MAS" divers like the Seiko 7005-8052 (and various other references). Same handset.

kfnHbRy.jpg

Or even the Seiko Seahorse which is very close sans bezel as seen here: https://www.fratellowatches.com/seiko-seahorse-6601-8830-watch-review-62mas/

TiUYEhI.jpg

New?
Well, Seiko released the "modern" reinterpretations of the SLA017 as the SBP051 and SPB053 and a couple other later ones, but they don't look like the 62MAS to me. Other than that, there are homage watches, but I'm not a fan of those.

SPB051 it is! Thank you.

this_guy

Oct 26, 2017
I'm actually fan of the Tangente as well. I personally prefer dress watches overall since I stopped wearing my sport watches unless I'm going swimming or workout. However, I bought the Nomos Club Nacht (brown dial) because I thought the California dial was so unique. Again, I love Nomos for their playful design, but to also blend into the more formal occasions.

Those are the reasons that attracted to me as well. For a first watch, I thought the Club is a better everyday watch since the Tangente/Metro were more dressy.

What a great first choice. I love their take on the California dial. You got a really nice color combo too.
I should wear my Club more.

21150025615_efa038fc25_h.jpg

Is that the Club Neomatic? I was considering that and the Ahoi models too. I was worried about the lug to lug size on my Campus model (38.5 mm case), but I think trying it on it's right at the max size that I would consider comfortable. The Club Neomatic at 37 mm would have definitely worked. Ultimately I wanted a white dial, but I wasn't sure if I would like the Club Neomatic white dial with the light blue numerals.

I do like the new Tangente Sport and Club Sport models, but they need to make them in sizes smaller than 42 mm considering how long the lugs are on most Nomos models.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
C&B straps are so nice.

No shame in a speedy reduced, fuck the purists. the only thing odd about it to me is not that it's "not a moonwatch" its the spread placement of the subdials at 3 and 9. It still looks fantastic.