• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Picked up a NOS 60s tropic with curved ends.
I've never felt a tropic strap be so soft and pliable. Must be the natural rubber of the day?

38481152532_8e480fb2ad_h.jpg

38457126316_e75c593766_h.jpg

38457127596_1047da7778_h.jpg

38481151182_34019183cc_h.jpg

38457126266_939a82c2fe_h.jpg

Hesemonni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
^ lol

GdJQhsG.jpg

Lately I've found myself be fascinated with Turtles. Kinda leaning towards the Padi Turtle since I already have a Blue Lagoon Samurai. Don is for reference purposes and, obviously, the ultimate turtle.

OP
OP
Galacticsushiman
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I've never felt a tropic strap be so soft and pliable. Must be the natural rubber of the day?

JUST WOW. Perfect fit. WRIST SHOT PLS! :D

Lulz. I bought the 'sun and moon' for a friend recently from Mr Jones Watch:

1289940514663140752.jpg

^ lol

GdJQhsG.jpg

Lately I've found myself be fascinated with Turtles. Kinda leaning towards the Padi Turtle since I already have a Blue Lagoon Samurai. Don is for reference purposes and, obviously, the ultimate turtle.

I was a Michelangelo guy - nunchunks 4ever - but Donatello is definitely a strong contender too :)

The padi looks cool, turtle X pepsi is an iconic and timeless mix :)

OP
OP
Galacticsushiman
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal

O
M
G

2 things:

First, everything about this is wrong. The trailer, the music (SERIOUSLY IWC???), the concept... Atrocious on so many levels :D

Second, my son is 3 yo, and he wanted a spinner. I got him one, and then he realized his fingers are too tiny, so it cannot spin in his hand :S - meaning, I absolutely NEED THIS THING for my kid, right now :D (or not)

Edit: Also, this reminded me of this horror that I was sent not too long ago:

23099285_311282552682279_3424490537359507456_n.jpg

ultra7k

Oct 27, 2017

Absolutely gorgeous. Wow, nice find!

On a side note, what's everyone's opinion of the Speedy Reduced? I'm sort of drawn to it - I realize it's not a Moonwatch but it feels like it's a lot more affordable than a Speedy Pro.

OP
OP
Galacticsushiman
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Absolutely gorgeous. Wow, nice find!

On a side note, what's everyone's opinion of the Speedy Reduced? I'm sort of drawn to it - I realize it's not a Moonwatch but it feels like it's a lot more affordable than a Speedy Pro.

This is just my snob opinion, don't take it too seriously...

But IMO, just don't. The Speedmaster is a legendary watch, with a legendary movement, a legendary design, and an History (with a capital H :D) that will never be challenged by any other chronograph... Because OMEGA was so successful with this particular model, they tended to multiply its variants... Reduced, Polar, Limited Edition, Automatic movement, etc.

If you buy one of those variants, you buy marketing and success, if you buy the 'real deal' ( 311.30.42.30.01.005 ) you buy the legend...

---

That said, again, take it with a grain of salt, don't buy the Moonwatch if 42mm is simply too big for you :) There are superb 39mm chronograph that cost a fraction of the Speedmaster, and are still super cool :)

Here is a pic of my NIVADA CHRONOMASTER, which shares some design element with the Moonwatch, and is a nice 39mm :)

17077477_1845030089078795_8846851886309965824_n.jpg

X-Frame

Oct 25, 2017
Hi everyone!

So I sort of feel like I struck gold here and I want to double check with all of you if this is a good choice:

Bulova Men's Lunar Pilot Chronograph Watch
IMG_5003.jpg

I've been salivating over the Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch for a while but then I just stumbled onto this and I'm in love.

I see on Amazon the leather strap version is $323 and the stainless steel strap version is $412.

Would I be making a good choice? Thank you!

ultra7k

Oct 27, 2017
Hi everyone!

So I sort of feel like I struck gold here and I want to double check with all of you if this is a good choice:

Bulova Men's Lunar Pilot Chronograph Watch
IMG_5003.jpg

I've been salivating over the Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch for a while but then I just stumbled onto this and I'm in love.

I see on Amazon the leather strap version is $323 and the stainless steel strap version is $412.

Would I be making a good choice? Thank you!

I have the version 1 release of the Bulova Moonwatch (on a bracelet 96B258) and honestly looking at it now it looks antiquated in comparison to the v2 release. Don't get me wrong, it's a great piece and I'm actually wearing it today haha. They really nailed it on the 2nd release though with the retro Logo font and no date IMO. If you opt for the v1 bracelet version, know that you will require curved spring bars if you want to throw a leather strap on it as the placement of the lug holes is different on the bracelet and strap versions for some strange reason. If you are concerned about size, it wears smaller than it says.

There was one guy on WUS who bought the v2 dial and fitted his v1 with it. Looked pretty great, and is something I may consider doing if I can source a dial from Bulova.

Suur Tõll

Oct 26, 2017
Estonia
I backed the Baltic WatchesKickstarter in May and finally received my automatic three-hander last week. Fortunately, it was worth the wait. I really dig its understated, faithful mid-20th century style and the many lovely subtleties, such as the changing hue on the blued hour and minute hands (I tried to capture it in the images below), the combination of polished and brushed finishing on the case, and even the period-correct acrylic crystal (a point of contention for many, or so I've heard).

hms001_114p2n.jpg

hms001_2kcral.jpg

The movement is a Miyota 821A, which I understand is unremarkable for watch connoisseurs, but seeing as this is my first automatic watch, it still feels pretty special to me.

hms001_3obrpr.jpg

Overall I'm very happy with the watch and will probably end up purchasing many different straps for it as the design should go nicely with almost any type of strap.

Last edited:

D6AMIA6N

Nov 8, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Nice watches in here.

The problem I've always had with watches is keeping them.

My only watch right now is a 6 year old Seiko SXK009J.

I think another Nomos is in my sights though....

OP
OP
Galacticsushiman
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I backed the Baltic WatchesKickstarter in May and finally received my automatic three-hander last week. Fortunately, it was worth the wait. I really dig its understated, faithful mid-20th century style and the many lovely subtleties, such as the changing hue on the blued hour and minute hands (I tried to capture it in the images below), the combination of polished and brushed finishing on the case, and even the period-correct acrylic crystal (a point of contention for many, or so I've heard).

hms001_114p2n.jpg

hms001_2kcral.jpg

The movement is a Miyota 821A, which I understand is unremarkable for watch connoisseurs, but seeing as this is my first automatic watch, it's still feels pretty special to me.

hms001_3obrpr.jpg

Overall I'm very happy with the watch and will probably end up purchasing many different straps for it as the design should go nicely with almost any type of strap.

Definitely the most interesting kickstarter out there when it comes to watches. The step case, the clean dial, the hands, everything oozes finish and horological authenticity. Bravo!

Grabbed the Swatch x Hodinkee Sistem51 Vintage 84 last night at their launch event.
hhzNv5bm.jpg

Casually rocking the coolest watch of the moment! I love it!

My Timex Marlin reissue came in today. Immediately swapped out the strap for a crocodile one.
qsT6RkH.jpg

Dat font! And dat size! Finally a reissue I can get behind :) Wristshot please!!

Scalibur

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely the most interesting kickstarter out there when it comes to watches. The step case, the clean dial, the hands, everything oozes finish and horological authenticity. Bravo!

Casually rocking the coolest watch of the moment! I love it!

Dat font! And dat size! Finally a reissue I can get behind :) Wristshot please!!
Here you go!

18Nj9Zam.jpg

jSFqZq7m.jpg

F4I44YVm.jpg

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
After spending $30 to ship my watch to Invicta, the estimate they gave me is $64 to replace the bezel.

As miffed as I am at the total cost, I don't think I have much choice. I'm just double checking here to see if that's the standard price for repair, or if I could get a significantly cheaper deal elsewhere.

SNES Jr

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
After spending $30 to ship my watch to Invicta, the estimate they gave me is $64 to replace the bezel.

As miffed as I am at the total cost, I don't think I have much choice. I'm just double checking here to see if that's the standard price for repair, or if I could get a significantly cheaper deal elsewhere.

Isn't that about the price of a new Invicta watch?

Last edited:

Priapus

Oct 27, 2017
Can't say know the brand but it looks very nice.

Recently got this one from amazon for a good price.
dsc_0082ixsoz.jpg

The watch box is slowly filling up. :P

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I was thinking about ordering a Stowa Seatime but on every forum or review of the watch it is said that it wears very big on the wrist. I have tiny wrists but still rock a big G-shock so I ...
printed a 1:1 paper version of the watch and carefully put it on my nato strap to see how it would look :D
19eb81-1514398407.jpg

I think this is doable, even on my wrist. What do you guys think?

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
KehoN5h.jpg

My first automatic watch and my first diver! The screw-down crown was a little tricky at first but I figured out a good way to get enough grip to loosen it without damaging anything hopefully.

I have the opposite concern from the previous poster and if anything this seems a bit small, but I am still liking it all the same. Also sorry if I messed up something with the imgur stuff... I'm getting old.

OP
OP
Galacticsushiman
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
HAPPY NEW YEAR WATCH FAM! I hope 2018 will bring you good stuff to wear in good health :)

Can't say know the brand but it looks very nice.

Recently got this one from amazon for a good price.
dsc_0082ixsoz.jpg

The watch box is slowly filling up. :P

ARLA is a micro brand from the 30s. The piece is from 1936. LONGINES and DOXA were shipping watches to Sweden which were rebranded with the ARLA name, but really it's a LONGINES :) Thank you :)

So I was thinking about ordering a Stowa Seatime but on every forum or review of the watch it is said that it wears very big on the wrist. I have tiny wrists but still rock a big G-shock so I ...
printed a 1:1 paper version of the watch and carefully put it on my nato strap to see how it would look :D
19eb81-1514398407.jpg

I think this is doable, even on my wrist. What do you guys think?

Beware with those tests... At the end of the day, thickness is also SUPER important to gage if a watch is too big, so you still may have a bad surprise in spite of your thorough tests :) Keep us posted!

KehoN5h.jpg

My first automatic watch and my first diver! The screw-down crown was a little tricky at first but I figured out a good way to get enough grip to loosen it without damaging anything hopefully.

I have the opposite concern from the previous poster and if anything this seems a bit small, but I am still liking it all the same. Also sorry if I messed up something with the imgur stuff... I'm getting old.

You did not mess up anything mate :) You are still young, rejoice! :D That said, if I may, this is REALLY NOT TOO SMALL! the lugs are touching the edge of your wrist, this is the perfect size IMHO :) Enjoy it!

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
Does anyone know a good springbar tool on Amazon? The one I randomly chose there seems to be pretty low quality with tines that are too big to actually grip the springbar properly.

erpg

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
The Bergeon expensive, but worth it. Haven't struggled with getting spring bars out of tight leather bands since.

That might also be because I've almost completely transitioned to MN Straps by Erika's Originals.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
ARLA is a micro brand from the 30s. The piece is from 1936. LONGINES and DOXA were shipping watches to Sweden which were rebranded with the ARLA name, but really it's a LONGINES :) Thank you :)

Ah, that's interesting. I assume they aren't as expensive as the Longines brand Longines watches? :>

Meanwhile, I'm looking into getting a handmade strap. Nothing really fancy (as much as having custom handmade stuff can be considered "not fancy" today, lol) - on a local watch forum there are some hobbyists and I'm thinking of getting that strap made by one of them. He's made quite a few of them, so he's pretty proven.
Only thing I'm not sure about is that it's a typical pilot-style strap and it's supposed to be rather thick (3-4mm). I might just bite, tho. It's a bit under $30 so it won't be too bad if I won't like it.
Especially after Christmas. :-D

OP
OP
Galacticsushiman
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Ah, that's interesting. I assume they aren't as expensive as the Longines brand Longines watches? :>

Meanwhile, I'm looking into getting a handmade strap. Nothing really fancy (as much as having custom handmade stuff can be considered "not fancy" today, lol) - on a local watch forum there are some hobbyists and I'm thinking of getting that strap made by one of them. He's made quite a few of them, so he's pretty proven.
Only thing I'm not sure about is that it's a typical pilot-style strap and it's supposed to be rather thick (3-4mm). I might just bite, tho. It's a bit under $30 so it won't be too bad if I won't like it.
Especially after Christmas. :-D

The piece has no defined price point really... As far as I know there are only 2 known watches like mine (and the other one is in very bad shape), so it's pretty much 'unique'... But yeah, if you see one pop on ebay, (which happened once in the last 3 years), you could snatch it for a good price I guess :) (FYI, I paid it $500 a couple of years ago from a Japanese collector...).

Also, I imagine he will be too expensive, but I use 'combat straps' (don't google it, you will end up looking at strange BDSM stuff :D:D:D), he is absolutely fantastic, and very nice (he also works 10 mins away from my work place in Montreal :D). His IG / his website.

To late, wrote Stowa today that i would like one of these. :O

Let's cross fingers then! :)

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
So, at long last, my Seiko 6138 UFO finally works again after going back and forth with the local watchmaker for months. However, he contends that the dial can't set the day of the week, but only the day itself (the number). Is this true? I distinctly remember being able to do this when I first got the watch, but he said he looked at the technical manual and that there's no part in the watch that would allow me to set the day of the week. He showed me how I could quickly change days

erpg

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
So, at long last, my Seiko 6138 UFO finally works again after going back and forth with the local watchmaker for months. However, he contends that the dial can't set the day of the week, but only the day itself (the number). Is this true? I distinctly remember being able to do this when I first got the watch, but he said he looked at the technical manual and that there's no part in the watch that would allow me to set the day of the week. He showed me how I could quickly change days
Show him this video: https://youtu.be/YulkDEaYlw4

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA

I'm torn about what to do, at this point. It's been a ridiculously complicated process getting him to actually fix the movement without breaking something else, so I'm very hesitant to go back and ask him to open the watch again. He seemed so convinced that there was no way to adjust it.

He did show me that you could go back an hour (or something) and then go forward to more quickly skip days, but I don't remember how he did that, exactly.

Hesemonni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GF just got me these..

*Seiko Blue Lagoon*
I have the same watch and it was pretty much my favorite one until I bought myself a Padi new turtle. What an awesome watch. Btw. What size is your wrist?

Not really needing a new watch, but I'm kinda eyeing Seiko Tunas at the moment. Anyone here own one? Care to share experiences?

Ostinatto

Oct 30, 2017
Guys , i need help, i need to know the model of this watch, im gonna buy it (used), but i cant find the exact model of the watch.

coveted-white-star-of8psdb.jpg

2018-01-12-photo-0003ths47.jpg

2018-01-12-photo-0003rcssp.jpg

1000 thanks.

OP
OP
Galacticsushiman
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
GF just got me these..

zYKGNLr.jpg

Just superb! Excellent size!

My timepiece:

Longines HydroConquest Automatic. I really love it.

Something you don't see everyday! Nice job at not having the same diver as everyone else :)

Guys , i need help, i need to know the model of this watch, im gonna buy it (used), but i cant find the exact model of the watch.

coveted-white-star-of8psdb.jpg

2018-01-12-photo-0003ths47.jpg

2018-01-12-photo-0003rcssp.jpg

1000 thanks.

Montblanc Star Collection Ladies 36 Quartz. Ref. 105892.