• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do you guys go about negotiating with dealers on watches? Thinking about going in for a Hamilton Pan Europ.

Priapus

Oct 27, 2017
Took a new wrist shot of the metro on the way home on the metra today.
Best one still turned out blurry, but examining most of the pics it almost looks like my wrist is exploding from out of the watch. Apparently I like it tight since I hate when the watch moves on my wrist, which is probably why I go through leather straps so quickly.

Do you guys usually wear your watch tight or loose?
Do you wear it at the bendy part of the wrist or further back? I I usually wear my watches semi loose on the arm so that it wont choke it when I bend my wrist.

For a more durable and less expensive option you could try a stylisch nato strap. I usually try to avoid wearing leather straps during the summer with all that sweat going on.

Oct 27, 2017
Do you wear it at the bendy part of the wrist or further back? I I usually wear my watches semi loose on the arm so that it wont choke it when I bend my wrist.

For a more durable and less expensive option you could try a stylisch nato strap. I usually try to avoid wearing leather straps during the summer with all that sweat going on.
Slightly back behind the joint, but it still wiggled up there.

I'll likely be avoiding wearing the metro on the summer except for special occasions, and I'll be sticking with my NATO strap pieces

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
How do you guys go about negotiating with dealers on watches? Thinking about going in for a Hamilton Pan Europ.

Most dealers will do 15-25% discount on a watch sale as a general rule of theirs but will go no lower so don't waltz in there expecting a 30% or 40% discount. And we are talking watch or jewelry shops who are affiliated dealers, haggling will be far less successful at a dept store like Macy's, etc. Don't try this there.

Also, certain brands have very little room for discounts, like Rolex or the higher tier luxos like IWC, etc. you might only get 5% or maybe even 10% on those, if that. So keep that in mind and adjust "your" price accordingly.

In order for haggling to work, you must be willing to pay a price slightly above what you might be able to get it for online from an internet dealer (this does not include 2nd hand or ebay sales). It also helps if you are willing to pay CASH. Cash transactions have much lower fees for the dealer. And most importantly - if you don't get the deal you want, you must be willing to walk away.

Now, onto the bargaining. First, I would ask the salesperson what they can "do" on the price of the watch. Sometimes they will immediately give you the max discount they are able to do, and sometimes you don't even have to ask. I've had a salesperson in a watch store tell me after I started hovering over Omegas that they could do 20% on anything in 'this' case straight up before I even said a word to them. After you ask, the salesperson will probably disappear to "talk" to a manager or whip out a calculator and run some figures. If they come back with a number that's not a 15%-25% discount, ask what is the absolute lowest they can do or simply state your price (maybe start at 25% or 20%) and see what they say. Mention whatever online prices you've seen it at from a reputable dealer. Sometimes they will relent, sometimes they will say 'sorry, but that's as low as i can go'. If they come back with a new price, that's probably the rock bottom for them. If they say no, you must be prepared to walk. Say thank you for their time, shake their hand, and hover a little bit looking over the cases (this gives the sale person some time to change their mind). After a couple of minutes, leave and try all this again at a different store.

Make sure that while you have the salesperson's attention that you are not demanding, but remain pleasant and make whatever small talk you can or whatever small talk the salesperson offers. Also be mindful that the salesperson is working on commission so they are motivated to make a sale, especially if its end of month or quarter. Just stay within the 15-25% discount range for your ask, and don't go in with a CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT attitude. That may fly for cars, but for nice timepieces nope.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most dealers will do 15-25% discount on a watch sale as a general rule of theirs but will go no lower so don't waltz in there expecting a 30% or 40% discount. And we are talking watch or jewelry shops who are affiliated dealers, haggling will be far less successful at a dept store like Macy's, etc. Don't try this there.

Also, certain brands have very little room for discounts, like Rolex or the higher tier luxos like IWC, etc. you might only get 5% or maybe even 10% on those, if that. So keep that in mind and adjust "your" price accordingly.

In order for haggling to work, you must be willing to pay a price slightly above what you might be able to get it for online from an internet dealer (this does not include 2nd hand or ebay sales). It also helps if you are willing to pay CASH. Cash transactions have much lower fees for the dealer. And most importantly - if you don't get the deal you want, you must be willing to walk away.

Now, onto the bargaining. First, I would ask the salesperson what they can "do" on the price of the watch. Sometimes they will immediately give you the max discount they are able to do, and sometimes you don't even have to ask. I've had a salesperson in a watch store tell me after I started hovering over Omegas that they could do 20% on anything in 'this' case straight up before I even said a word to them. After you ask, the salesperson will probably disappear to "talk" to a manager or whip out a calculator and run some figures. If they come back with a number that's not a 15%-25% discount, ask what is the absolute lowest they can do or simply state your price (maybe start at 25% or 20%) and see what they say. Mention whatever online prices you've seen it at from a reputable dealer. Sometimes they will relent, sometimes they will say 'sorry, but that's as low as i can go'. If they come back with a new price, that's probably the rock bottom for them. If they say no, you must be prepared to walk. Say thank you for their time, shake their hand, and hover a little bit looking over the cases (this gives the sale person some time to change their mind). After a couple of minutes, leave and try all this again at a different store.

Make sure that while you have the salesperson's attention that you are not demanding, but remain pleasant and make whatever small talk you can or whatever small talk the salesperson offers. Also be mindful that the salesperson is working on commission so they are motivated to make a sale, especially if its end of month or quarter. Just stay within the 15-25% discount range for your ask, and don't go in with a CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT attitude. That may fly for cars, but for nice timepieces nope.

Thank you fam, wondering if I should just buy online rather than authorized dealer, something about having a warranty card makes me feel better.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
I need to stop buying new watches. I just bought an Omega Speedmaster, Omega De Ville, Nomos Club, Rolex Submariner and an A. Lange & Söhne Saxonia Thin in less than two months...

hockeypuck

Oct 29, 2017
I need to stop buying new watches. I just bought an Omega Speedmaster, Omega De Ville, Nomos Club, Rolex Submariner and an A. Lange & Söhne Saxonia Thin in less than two months...
Question about the ALS piece: did you haggle for your price or pay the MSRP? I'm thinking about getting one of their watches to fill that final space in my watch box. It seems that many seasoned collectors haggle away, but I couldn't really find any information specific to ALS watches. My one attempt at haggling was at a Grand Seiko boutique in Tokyo and it fell flat, lol. But if European/American retailers are more receptive to it, then I'm all ears.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
Question about the ALS piece: did you haggle for your price or pay the MSRP? I'm thinking about getting one of their watches to fill that final space in my watch box. It seems that many seasoned collectors haggle away, but I couldn't really find any information specific to ALS watches. My one attempt at haggling was at a Grand Seiko boutique in Tokyo and it fell flat, lol. But if European/American retailers are more receptive to it, then I'm all ears.

I received 10% off the ALS Saxonia Thin at an authorized dealer I frequent for most of my watches. Recently, official prices for ALS watches have increased worldwide. I usually can get 15-25% off most other brands at this dealer, however, could only get 10% off here in the Bay Area in California.

With that said, while traveling, I found out I could get a better discount at a jeweler in Monterey for the same model. Supposedly twice the discount %. However, I didn't go for it since I already ordered my watch from my main AD.

A note, I can negotiate a price at any AD for any brand here in the Bay Area and I assume most places in the US, except for boutiques. It ranges from 5% for Patek to 25% for Tag Heuer or Panerai depending on the relationship you have with your AD. The only exception I've seen is Rolex. I've never been able to get any discount off any of the Rolex ADs. Unless it's Rolex, you should definitely shop around to find the best deal for any watch.

With that said, I tried the ALS Saxonia Thin watch on at the AD in Monterey and it's a great watch. I'm still waiting on mine to be completed. I actually bought the Nomos Club just so I can compare the movement to the ALS Saxonia Thin's. Ironically, I am so impressed by the Nomos Club that I'm considering other models from Nomos.

Tangent aside, I hope this helps!

Last edited:

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
That many watches, and such varying kinds of watches, it does feel like you don't really know what you want and are buying on impulse. I'd slow down, and think about what you'd really want to enjoy and wear.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
That many watches, and such varying kinds of watches, it does feel like you don't really know what you want and are buying on impulse. I'd slow down, and think about what you'd really want to enjoy and wear.

Definitely. I actually know what I want and I have a list. But things have been frustrating at work and I took retail therapy to a new level for me, it seems.

erpg

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
I was going to fall to a bit of that retail therapy myself. But then Oris let me know on Instagram that the Big Crown 36 has a 17mm lug with.

Why destroy any chance of finding a nice strap, you bastards.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
I was going to fall to a bit of that retail therapy myself. But then Oris let me know on Instagram that the Big Crown 36 has a 17mm lug with.

Wow. Good thing you found out. I thought it was hard finding 21 mm straps. I don't event think I've ever seen 17 mm straps before.

OP
OP
Galacticsushiman
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal

Mmmmm, that sounds bad indeed. Of course, it's a lot in a very short time, but what I find really scary (IMHO) is the fact your list is pretty much the same as any 'top 5 luxury watches for real men' you can find on any fashion blog these days... Don't take this the wrong way, I am sure you researched your pieces before purchasing them, but I am collecting for 15+ years, and it takes me months, sometimes up to a year, to know if I like a watch or not... Take your time, find what you like and why, and (over time) assemble a collection which says something about you, that's my advice. (and feel free to tell me to go f**** myself, it's your money after all :D:D:D).

Really?

If you have enough money to spare on an ORIS, I am sure you could save up $100-$150 for a superb 'custom made' strap right? My strapmaker is really fantastic, and use excellent materials, and charge around 100 euros for a custom strap... Bonus, it makes your watch unique :)

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Speaking of new (to me) watches. Here's my latest addition.
Going to grab a better strap for it, though with a similar color. Never had watch with this color dial, but I've really taken a shine to it. Was pretty affordable too. I don't think anyone wanted it. Ugly duckling?

39621519760_fca0cea4ea_k.jpg

ekimneems

Oct 29, 2017

You may be able to fit an 18mm strap on that. I've done it before. My Tangente 38 has 19mm lugs and I use 20mm straps

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
Mmmmm, that sounds bad indeed. Of course, it's a lot in a very short time, but what I find really scary (IMHO) is the fact your list is pretty much the same as any 'top 5 luxury watches for real men' you can find on any fashion blog these days... Don't take this the wrong way, I am sure you researched your pieces before purchasing them, but I am collecting for 15+ years, and it takes me months, sometimes up to a year, to know if I like a watch or not... Take your time, find what you like and why, and (over time) assemble a collection which says something about you, that's my advice. (and feel free to tell me to go f**** myself, it's your money after all :D:D:D).

No, you're totally right. I should slow down. However, I made a list of watches ahead of time for a while. I just happened to put it into high gear when work got frustrating.

I was originally thinking of buying one iconic watch from every brand that interested me like:
  • Patek Philippe's 5153R - Officer's case with opening/closing case back is unique, interesting dial
  • Audemars Piguet's Royal Oak
  • Jaeger LeCoultre's Reverso Duo Face
  • Rolex Submariner
  • etc.
But when someone at an AD upset me, I literally reworked my list to just be Omega watches and some watches I truly find interesting. I'll save the rest of the money I would've spent on watches back into cars or something. What happened was I just wanted to see some Patek Philippe watches, my adviser couldn't show it to me without her manager, so when she asked her manager, the response was the manager was,"Have someone else show it to him." I was irritated. It reminds me of some car dealerships where if you seem like you don't have money, you are not treated well.

So after thinking about it, I know I love watches mainly because of Omega watches. I can easily be happy and content with just having watches from the broad range that Omega offers. I have one from every range. However, I thought it'd be a fun hobby to collect interesting high horological time pieces. However, no more.

The only high end luxury watchmaker that interests me so far is A. Lange & Sohne, which is why I got the Saxonia Thin as a test to see if it can last as a daily wear for me. I put my other watches through quite the punishment so I'm hoping white gold cases can withstand the punishment, too. I don't baby my watches, which is why I am really impressed with Omega's qualities. Even the dainty Omega De Ville dress watches have withstood more damage than my Seiko divers have and come out looking pristine.

The Rolex Submariner, I got as a gift for a family member. But having held a new one in my hands now, it only reassured me that Rolex watches don't move me emotionally, however, I really respect what Rolex has done for the history of wrist watches in general, so I'd like at least one piece from them, perhaps an Airking or Explorer.

Nomos Club I really got on a whim just because I'd like to compare the movement to the A. Lange & Sohne's Saxonia Thin movement. But I ended up really impressed by the Nomos, so now I'm thinking of some more Nomos time pieces in the future, perhaps a Tangente of some sort.

Of everything I removed from my original list, the only one I kept was the Jaeger LeCoulte Reverso. It's such a unique and cool watch, I'd like it eventually in my collection.

Anyways, I'm glad there's a watch enthusiast community here at NeoGAF/Resetera. Not many people I know love watches so it's nice to have a place to talk about it here.

hockeypuck

Oct 29, 2017
I received 10% off the ALS Saxonia Thin at an authorized dealer I frequent for most of my watches. Recently, official prices for ALS watches have increased worldwide. I usually can get 15-25% off most other brands at this dealer, however, could only get 10% off here in the Bay Area in California.
A note, I can negotiate a price at any AD for any brand here in the Bay Area and I assume most places in the US, except for boutiques. It ranges from 5% for Patek to 25% for Tag Heuer or Panerai depending on the relationship you have with your AD. The only exception I've seen is Rolex. I've never been able to get any discount off any of the Rolex ADs. Unless it's Rolex, you should definitely shop around to find the best deal for any watch.

With that said, I tried the ALS Saxonia Thin watch on at the AD in Monterey and it's a great watch. I'm still waiting on mine to be completed.
Thanks for sharing your experience! I have family in SoCal, so I'll stop by some ADs and the boutique there the next time I visit. Hopefully they'll at least let me look ;).

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
I'm sure the boutiques for ALS will treat you well. One reason I went with them is because they treated me well even if I didn't have any high horological time pieces yet. One Patek Philippe dealer did not treat me that nicely, so I don't need their watches. At the end of the day, a watch is just a piece of metal that's useless nowadays. But I think it's a fun hobby, especially if one has the history and story to move me enough to buy it. A. Lange & Sohne is one of them.

Out of curiosity, does anyone here have an American-made watch that they like? I don't know too much watches designed and/or built in America. Similar to how Bremont is designed in England, constructed in both England and Switzerland, but they're trying to eventually build everything in England again. Is there a brand like that in America?

hockeypuck

Oct 29, 2017
Out of curiosity, does anyone here have an American-made watch that they like? I don't know too much watches designed and/or built in America. Similar to how Bremont is designed in England, constructed in both England and Switzerland, but they're trying to eventually build everything in England again. Is there a brand like that in America?
I only know of Shinola, a company based in Detroit. They mostly deal with Swiss/Thai-supplied quartz movements that are assembled in the U.S., but are starting to dabble in mechanical movements. They had a limited edition mechanical watch last year. I like their Guardian model.

As a counterpoint, here's a good critique on the brand.

Edit: Detroit Watch Company appears to be the better American watch company.

Last edited:

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
Thank you both. I've never heard of either. They're really interesting. RGM has my attention for their in-house movements. I'll look into both more.

Also, another shout out to Nomos watches. For anyone on the fence with them, seriously give them a shot, especially their manual winding watches. Their movements are absolutely beautiful when you turn the watch around to look at them. If you get bored easily during teleconference meetings or working at home, this is invaluable for any watch to help keep you entertained.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
What's a good watch brand for women?
Budget about 900-1000$ cad (800$ usd)

First, I'd make sure that the lady you're gifting a watch to will appreciate such expensive watches. Most women I know do not care about watches whatsoever. They care about other jewelry though. If they do get a watch, it tends to be more on the shiny, jewel-encrusted watches.

With that said, aside from the Cartier, Omega, and other popular brand watches for ladies, I actually find that Nomos impresses like the above poster. The watches are fun and have personality. If the front does not impress, then the exhibition display of the movement definitely does. However, if the lady in question doesn't care about watches, I doubt even the Nomos' movement is enough to get her to like watches.

https://nomos-glashuette.com/en/club/club-campus-709

https://nomos-glashuette.com/en/tangente/tangente-33-champagne-151

https://nomos-glashuette.com/en/orion/orion-33-rose-325

BIG J

Oct 27, 2017
First, I'd make sure that the lady you're gifting a watch to will appreciate such expensive watches. Most women I know do not care about watches whatsoever. They care about other jewelry though. If they do get a watch, it tends to be more on the shiny, jewel-encrusted watches.

With that said, aside from the Cartier, Omega, and other popular brand watches for ladies, I actually find that Nomos impresses like the above poster. The watches are fun and have personality. If the front does not impress, then the exhibition display of the movement definitely does. However, if the lady in question doesn't care about watches, I doubt even the Nomos' movement is enough to get her to like watches.

https://nomos-glashuette.com/en/club/club-campus-709

https://nomos-glashuette.com/en/tangente/tangente-33-champagne-151

https://nomos-glashuette.com/en/orion/orion-33-rose-325
The watch is for my wife lol. Anniversary present. She also wanted a good quality watch but I know nothing about them

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
The watch is for my wife lol. Anniversary present. She also wanted a good quality watch but I know nothing about them

If you want a quality Swiss watch, I recommend anything from Longines and Tissot. If you want a quality German watch, I recommend Nomos. If you want something on the much more affordable side but still good quality then I recommend Seiko. This is of course talking about ladies watches.

If it's an anniversary gift, then I'd put in the time and effort to do your research. You should go to an authorized dealer to check out some of these watches. Macy's will always have Seiko. Nomos, Tissot and Longines will be at different jewelers so you can check on their official site to see where they're sold.

Edit:

I'll help you out even further because I enjoy the challenge and opportunity. Here are some things to consider about your wife's preferences, so you should first think about these or ask her:
  1. Size of the watch - Does she prefer smaller size watches (27-33mm) or medium size watches (36-37mm)?
  2. "Good quality" - Mechanical Movement or Quartz Watches? - Does she prefer "good quality" as in long lasting and robust movement? Or shiny/jewel-decorated watch? In the world of watches, a good watch means a well made movement that can last a lifetime and be passed on, however, to be in your price range earlier < $1K, you'll see some well made movements (aka, automatic/mechanical movements), but the appearance of the watch won't be as nice as watches with both jewels and mechanical movements. However, if your wife prefers nicely decorated watches, then you can take a look at quartz watches instead.
  3. Pros & Cons of Mechanical and Quartz Watches - Mechanical watches can be amazing because of all the craftsmanship that goes into creating a watch that will never need to be replaced like a battery. Mechanical watches, if manual winding needs to be hand wound every 1-2 days, which some people enjoy and some find a hassle. If the mechanical watch is an automatic, then just by moving your arms around, it'll store motion as power. However, if your wife leaves her watch and doesn't wear it, then a mechanical watch, either automatic or manual winding, will eventually stop working until hand wound or moved again. This means you need to consider the "Power Reserve" of a watch. Industry standard for automatic and manual movements are about 36-40 hours of power reserve. Also, mechanical watches are more expensive. Quartz watches makes watches much more affordable, but it also needs to be replaced every 2 years, which can range from $6-50 per battery change depending on the brand. However, if your wife leaves the watch off her hands for extended periods of time, a quartz watch will still work until 2 years. With that said, quartz watches are usually considered to be "less" in quality than mechanical watches nowadays.
  4. Sapphire Crystal - Just out of experience, you want a watch with a sapphire glass to protect the face of the watch. It's scratch resistant and can withstand punishment in case your wife hits a table or scrapes it on something by accident. Some of my Seiko's in the past hit a wall, desk, whatever by accident and came out with cracked displays since they were only made of hardened mineral crystals. This alone made me get higher quality products. I have my Seiko dive watches to thank for my interest in higher quality watches. So I always recommend people to consider sapphire glass.
With that said, here are some good watches to consider in your price range, from most affordable to above your suggested budget:
  • Seiko - They make wonderfully affordable watches with different styles copied from/inspired by other brands' masterpieces.
    • http://seikousa.com/collections/
    • You can click on the watches for women in the link above to get an idea of what you'll see at a Macy's nearby. Their Solar watches offer a unique take on watches, quartz movement charged by light.
------------------------------
  • Tissot PR 100 Powermatic 80 Lady - This is a series of watches, the PR 100 series is a classic line from Tissot, the Powermatic is an indicator of its Swiss automatic mechanical movement. I would consider this is because:
  • High quality Swiss watchmaker for the price point
  • Automatic movement can last 80 hours on a full wind, so your wife can put this watch on the desk for over 3 day without wearing it and it will still work and not need time adjustments when she puts it back on
  • Watches in this series is about 33mm, so it will look nice on most, if not all, ladies' wrists
  • https://us.tissotshop.com/tissot-pr-100-lady-automatic-4.html
  • MSRP of $695, but at Macy's and other authorized dealers (AD), you can probably score a discount
-------------------------------
  • Longines - They make absolutely magnificent watches. They are much more pricy than Tissot though, so it will be stretching your budget. They are one of the oldest watchmakers in the world and have always produced great products, 1831 compared to Omega's 1848.
-------------------------------
  • Nomos - This will definitely be a stretch for your budget but they are my favorite of the bunch. They make extremely affordable watches for the level of quality that you are getting. Their fun and creative appearance hides a very classical approach in German watchmaking. It isn't until you turn the watch around that you realize how much work went into finishing (hand assembling, hand finished, hand crafted, etc.) the watch and its German movement with the 3/4 base plate.
I hope this helps.

However, I will leave you with one more suggestion. Some of these watches and others unmentioned are very expensive, but in the world of watches and jewelry, I think the price doesn't matter as much as if a person will like it. I've seen people spend money on watches they never wear. What's the point of spending $150 on a watch you'll never wear? But if you get a watch that costs even upwards of $1,800 but the person wears it every day and enjoys it? Then it's worth $1,800 already.

I bought a $280 Seiko dive watch many years ago thinking I don't need any other watches. Within 2 weeks of owning it, I accidentally hit a wall and cracked the bezel and the glass display of the Seiko watch. I was extremely upset. The whole point of spending $280 was to prevent me from spend a lot on an 'unnecessary' luxury watch like an Omega. Shortly after that incident, I went out and bought a $6K Omega Seamaster 300. I wear that Omega Seamaster 300 nearly every single day if I don't rotate it out for other watches I own. I consider that Omega Seamaster 300 one of the best purchases I ever made. That Seiko dive watch will always be in my collection to remind me that there are better watches out there and I should spend more on watches I will enjoy.

With that said, my girlfriend wants a watch and after much consideration, she wants the Nomos Club I linked above. I was surprised at the choice, but there you have it. We'll pick it up this Friday.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide to get your wife. Congratulations on your anniversary!

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
I'm seriously contemplating on finding a 42mm PO with the 2500 movement, but on a rubber strap. What I'm worried is with my six inch wrists the rubber strap won't fit me.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
I'm seriously contemplating on finding a 42mm PO with the 2500 movement, but on a rubber strap. What I'm worried is with my six inch wrists the rubber strap won't fit me.

You can try to find an Omega Planet Ocean with a steel strap used on places like Watchuseek sellers forums or Rolexforums' seller threads (obviously check the reputation of the seller through another thread with reviews for certain sellers). Then once you procure an Omega PO on steel strap, just buy a third party rubber strap and replace them yourself.

nofuckinidea

Oct 25, 2017
Great thread with incredible timepieces :)

I'm into Casio/G-Shock digitals lately and build up a small collection over the last few months.

Here's my latest addition
G-Shock GLX-5500
img_20180421_215456l1uc7.jpg

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017

Can anyone offer other suggestions that looks like this Citizen, same understated face, reflective blue and silver case and band? Upper end would be $500. A large face would be cool 41mm+

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
So I'm gonna go with the seiko spb053. eBay seems to be the site that'll sell the watch the cheapest brand new. I'm just worried it'll take weeks to arrive and the packaging will be terrible, meaning not in original box.

Any help finding a good Ebay link? I don't want to spend more than $650. I guess I'm willing to pay for DHL.

Thanks

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if it's better to ask here or an iOS thread, but I'm looking into getting an Apple Watch.

I know they come in two sizes, so I'm looking to get the bigger one since I'm a big guy. I was just wondering what the best third party straps were. Just going for whatever looks nice and is afffordable.

Also wondering if there's any reason I should hold out until the next generation of watches comes out.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Couple of recent acquisitions.

My Cal 11. Monaco

img_20180419_084802y1svh.jpg

Picked it up pre owned, but in pristine condition, at a fraction of the retail price, love this watch, not really an everyday wear, but its lovely to wear, shame it has such a short power reserve though.

My Tudor North Flag

img_20180418_0838292vu4v.jpg

Man, i love this watch, love everything about it, the applied numbers and indices have such depth, the power reserve meter disc, the matt ceramic ring under the bezel, it's just such a lovely watch, you get a heck of a lot of watch for your money, and the movement (in house) is amazing, 70hr power reserve.

img_20180404_0800335bqlt.jpg

Not as pretty as a real high end movement, but for a first attempt at an in house movement, it this price, it's a cracking bit of kit.

OP
OP
Galacticsushiman
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal

The North Flag is such a cool watch! There is not much to criticize there, a true homerun from Tudor :) Also, it looks fantastic on you mate!

The Monaco on the other hand is cool, but not perfect IMHO. I love the original design - who doesn't? - but the re-edition with that 'cal. 11' which has nothing to do with the real 'cal. 11' always annoyed me... That said, the execution of the dial and case is convincing, the swiss made above the date, the markers, the old HEUER logo, and the hands are all very well made and authentic to the original (and the addition of the running sub-second is welcomed).

Dear Tag, just call the Calibre 11 something else, and I'll be sold :D

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North Flag is such a cool watch! There is not much to criticize there, a true homerun from Tudor :) Also, it looks fantastic on you mate!

The Monaco on the other hand is cool, but not perfect IMHO. I love the original design - who doesn't? - but the re-edition with that 'cal. 11' which has nothing to do with the real 'cal. 11' always annoyed me... That said, the execution of the dial and case is convincing, the swiss made above the date, the markers, the old HEUER logo, and the hands are all very well made and authentic to the original (and the addition of the running sub-second is welcomed).

Dear Tag, just call the Calibre 11 something else, and I'll be sold :D
Yup, i get what you're saying, although the movement isn't a cal 11, i think there are enough tips to the original on that model for it to warrant the moniker, it's way more in keeping with the original than any of the other newer models, the cal 12 isn't a patch on the 11 IMO.

I love the Heuer logo.

img_20180408_160721cmu0i.jpg