• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hm, I'm gonna take a gamble, skip out on the Ray Raven, and get the Ray II in black. It's like fifty bucks less than the Raven, and 30 bucks less than the blue (though the blue is also growing on me).

It's weird, at first I didn't like it so much, but these watches seem like growers (in terms of looks)

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
Thanks man, I appreciate the advice!

And now the SKX007 is growing on me... Why is this decision so hard??

That's a great problem to have. You've definitely got some choices. There are many Seiko, Citizen, Orient, Casio, Hamilton, Sinn, etc. to consider. I don't have the Seiko SKX007 but it's extremely popular. If you do your research, you'll probably run into the Seiko Turtles and Baby Turtles, too. Those are very popular as well.

However, I caution you and everyone else on this board with a piece of advice. If there is a watch you truly want to own, I'd say that unless it's so freakishly expensive, you should save up for that watch and get it. Otherwise, if you get an affordable watch to tide you over until your favorite watch comes along, that affordable watch will no longer get any wrist time and you may not appreciate it even if you wear it since it's not the one you truly wanted. This is how so many people end up with dozens of affordable watches but never wear any of them.

With that said, I think half the fun of owning a watch is doing the research and picking a watch. Whenever you look at the watch, you'll know you chose it for a reason. It's like choosing a car or even a game. At the end of the day, a $200 watch is still expensive, you can easily buy nice meals or even many games with that kind of money.

Good luck!

It'll scratch and fade?

EnronERA is probably right. I've never owned a PVD coated watch so I can't give personal experience. However, reviews and impressions from Watchuseek forums and other communities show this to be true. Perhaps the high end luxury watches which are blackened with different techniques will wear differently, but for affordable pieces from Orient, Seiko, Casio, etc. the PVD coating will probably show scratches and the exposed steel more readily and more quickly. With that said, many watch enthusiasts actually look at this with pride since it shows that the watch has been happily worn, not babied, enjoyed and aged along with the wearer (e.g. patina/aging and characteristic of a watch).

I actually subscribed to this "patina and characteristic" of the watch. I don't baby my watches. That A. Lange & Sohne Saxonia I posted earlier? I totally dropped it by accidentally onto the cement floor and totally dented, scratched, and scraped the lugs and bezel of the watch. But I'm still going to wear it every day. My Omega Seamaster 300 I completely hit against a rock wall? There's one scratch and a small dent, which I still wear regularly. Especially for a tool watch like a dive watch, I think it just adds that extra bit of character to the watch. Unless the watch stops working or the crystal is completely cracked, I don't mind most other scratches, dents, or signs of aging.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
The Ray II blue is the one that E V E R Y O N E loves, so yeah its usually a bit more expensive. Personally I like the Ray II in black more, and the only thing that stopped me from getting one is that its too similar to my Omega Seamaster 2254.50, which is also a black-dialed/bezel diver

Edit: yeah, don't be scared of scratches and wear. It's a watch. it's gonna get scratched and dinged. My omega has a slight ding in one of the lugs where it hit a doorframe, and the bracelet is scratched to hell and back (im going on year 10 now with it!). It was my present to myself when i finally got above the new-hire salary band at work back in 2008, still looks great despite the dings and scratches.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
Hm, I'm gonna take a gamble, skip out on the Ray Raven, and get the Ray II in black. It's like fifty bucks less than the Raven, and 30 bucks less than the blue (though the blue is also growing on me).

It's weird, at first I didn't like it so much, but these watches seem like growers (in terms of looks)

I didn't see this post before, but I think the Orient Ray II in black is very nice. I am a bigger fan of black dials than blue dials, mainly because of my skin tone and the colors of my daily attire. Once you get it and wear it for a while, you should share with us your thoughts on it, both good and bad.

And hey, that $50 you're saving could go to a new game like Last of Us Part 2.

The Ray II blue is the one that E V E R Y O N E loves, so yeah its usually a bit more expensive. Personally I like the Ray II in black more, and the only thing that stopped me from getting one is that its too similar to my Omega Seamaster 2254.50, which is also a black-dialed/bezel diver

Edit: yeah, don't be scared of scratches and wear. It's a watch. it's gonna get scratched and dinged. My omega has a slight ding in one of the lugs where it hit a doorframe, and the bracelet is scratched to hell and back (im going on year 10 now with it!). It was my present to myself when i finally got above the new-hire salary band at work back in 2008, still looks great despite the dings and scratches.

That's a lovely Omega model. It's rare I see it in the wild, but when I do see it pop up on Rolexforums.com or Omegaforums.net, it looks great on the wrist. Congrats on that watch making it this long. My Omega Seamaster 300 is following the same path as yours, its bracelet is already scratched up since I "desk dive" with it.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the 2254.50 was a sought after model in the late 2000s because of its looks, its regular Omega automatic movement (before Omega went all coaxial and +1000 dollars on everything), and its impending out of production-ness. I bought one of the last ones here in atlanta while it was still available, and because it was very affordable when compared to coax movement seamasters. 10 years later it still has a sizeable following on boards like WUS. Here's mine

39930172941_0a7a376126_b.jpg

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
Yeah, the 2254.50 was a sought after model in the late 2000s because of its looks, its regular Omega automatic movement (before Omega went all coaxial and +1000 dollars on everything), and its impending out of production-ness. I bought one of the last ones here in atlanta while it was still available, and because it was very affordable when compared to coax movement seamasters. 10 years later it still has a sizeable following on boards like WUS. Here's mine

39930172941_0a7a376126_b.jpg

For the reasons you've stated and more, I'm actually looking for a similar model in the future, too. I love the Co-Axial movements in the most modern Omegas, but I also like the older models for their designs and more functional/tool-watch aesthetics. Yours can actually look quite sporty and dress with that blazer. It looks good on the wrist. Hopefully you'll never have to part with it. I've seen people sell watches due to money issues or just collecting purposes only to regret losing good pieces later.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, im never selling this. My absolute grail watch was and still is the Speedy Pro, but that design is so popular its never going anywhere. i can get it, theoretically, whenever i choose to shell out the cash. I got this because i knew it was disappearing soon and was the last of its breed.

I really want a Planet Ocean now - but not at the expense of my 2254.50. and im not convinced the PO will always be with us like the Speedy Pro, so it's next on my list. Would probably have it already if not for a detour into camera gear.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
you probably will. When i still had my Steinhart Ocean One Vintage Mil, i had about 10 natos i rotated and loved it. Kinda wish i didnt sell that watch.

NTGYK

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm curious how NATO straps will look on my two Bambinos as well. Might be nice, might be awful cause they're such simple classy dress watches

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
OK, not to say that it shouldn't be done, but the thought of a classy watch like the Orient Bambinos on Nato straps is actually quite humorous since I've never seen it done before. And you never mentioned you had Orients already, you're already part of the Orient family! You now have a dress watch and a sports watch from them. Same here, an Orient Symphony and Mako.

I'm not a big fan of Nato straps as other are. I enjoy leather straps more. However, the Nato straps make sports watches like our Orients much more unique. Straps completely change the feel of the watch. It's amazing what design and fashion can do. You can try getting a dark brown and/or black leather strap to round out the choices for your Orient Ray II.

Congrats on the watch. You should share with us your thoughts after using it on your vacations and everything.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Picked up a Citizen eco-drive titanium sapphire BM7170-53L for $130. It's super nice and now it's like $230. Nice little amazon sale.

My moto 360 was dying like mid day so was time to do something different.

I think now I kind of want a submariner homage and throw a nato strap on it. I know Invicta gets hated on but for $83 I don't know that I care.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
just get an Orient Ray II. more expensive than invicta, but still cheap as hell and made better.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
Picked up a Citizen eco-drive titanium sapphire BM7170-53L for $130. It's super nice and now it's like $230. Nice little amazon sale.

My moto 360 was dying like mid day so was time to do something different.

I think now I kind of want a submariner homage and throw a nato strap on it. I know Invicta gets hated on but for $83 I don't know that I care.

Wow, you made it out like a bandit on that Citizen. It looks really nice. I've never owned a Citizen. You should share wrist shots and a short review after you wear it a while. I think people here will be interested.

While I agree with EnronERA in regards to the Invicta, I also think that if that's what you want to do, then do it. It's not like anyone truly cares about watches anymore except the watch enthusiasts and upper echelons of society. As long as you're happy with it, go for it. Most people I know don't even wear watches.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
keeping better time isn't that important with automatics. if you were concerned about dead accuracy, you wouldnt be buying an automatic in the first place!

Everything about the orient is gonna be better, though. materials/build quality/crystal is nicer/bracelet is better

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, you made it out like a bandit on that Citizen. It looks really nice. I've never owned a Citizen. You should share wrist shots and a short review after you wear it a while. I think people here will be interested.

While I agree with EnronERA in regards to the Invicta, I also think that if that's what you want to do, then do it. It's not like anyone truly cares about watches anymore except the watch enthusiasts and upper echelons of society. As long as you're happy with it, go for it. Most people I know don't even wear watches.

Yeah it was a hell of a deal. I will post some pics and a review. Right now I'd say it's very striking, the honeycomb blue dial, highlights on the hours really shine, and it is keeping perfect time. Second hacking so I have it set to atomic time. It's also suprisingly light because of the titanium. Full titanium strap is my understanding too.

NTGYK

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Thank you, Amazon Prime! Just got my Ray II. First I've actually laid eyes on it in person.

I wasn't so sure about it based on the online pics, but in person... It's a goddamned beauty. The bracelet is way too huge, so I wanna have the links taken out (and I'll get some other straps to play around with it) but it's got a wicked heft to it and it just looks so good on my wrist. Gives me an adventurous/Bond-esque feel, as lame as that might seem.

Man, you guys were right, this is so cool! So how does this hacking and hand winding thing work? And this won't get screwed up if I go swimming or hang by the beach, right?

Last edited:

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
Thank you, Amazon Prime! Just got my Ray II. First I've actually laid eyes on it in person.

I wasn't so sure about it based on the online pics, but in person... It's a goddamned beauty. The bracelet is way too huge, so I wanna have the links taken out (and I'll get some other straps to play around with it) but it's got a wicked heft to it and it just looks so good on my wrist. Gives me an adventurous/Bond-esque feel, as lame as that might seem.

Man, you guys were right, this is so cool! So how does this hacking and hand winding thing work? And this won't get screwed up if I go swimming or hang by the beach, right?

Nothing wrong with feeling like Bond. It just means you have a classy "man of action" time piece.

To hack the movement, you just unscrew the crown, pull the crown out to the last position, the seconds hand should stop moving, and this gives you a way to set the time exactly to the second to an atomic clock like www.time.is. I usually just wait until the 0 second mark, pull the crown out so the seconds hand stops at the 12 o'clock position, set the hour and minute, and wait until the atomic clock reaches the 0 second mark, then I press the crown back in to start the watch. People do this just to check out accurate their watch is.

For example, a COSC certified chronometer will usually have a -4/+6 seconds per day accuracy, which is extremely good. Rolex will have a -2/+2 seconds per day accuracy. Most affordable watches won't be anywhere close to this accurate, so you'll eventually see your time deviates by a minute or more after wearing the watch a few weeks or months. But it's fun to see how accurate a watch's movement is anyways.

I personally love Orient because I know they essentially make their own movement and cases while most other watch brands will source movements from other companies and assemble them. Orient is different, which I appreciate, especially for their price point.

To handwind your watch, you just unscrew the crown and in its first setting (neutral position, not pulled out), you just rotate the crown (I think clockwise?) and you'll wind your watch so the seconds hand starts moving, so you know the watch can now work. Each watch has a barrel that will determine how long a watch has power for, something like 35-42 hours. I believe the Ray Raven II has 40 hours? Whatever the case is, as you wear the watch and because it is an automatic watch, your hand movements will wind the barrel for you and the watch won't need to handwinding. However, if you don't wear the watch for an extended period of time, you can just pick up your watch and unscrew the crown, wind the watch and the seconds hand will move to let you know it's working again. You can handwind the watch to its full 40 hour power reserve, or you can just wind it a little to let it start working, wear it, and your daily movements will wind the watch for you automatically.

Yes, you can wear this watch to the beach, swimming pool, shower, or wherever and it'll be fine. Just make sure to screw the crown back in after setting the time and date, otherwise water may get into the case. The only thing you may need to worry about is wearing it close to things that can magnetize your watch such as microwaves, laptops, etc. You'll eventually see the watch become slightly inaccurate at a faster rate. However, you can just buy a demagnetizer for $10 and demagnetize the watch yourself if this happens.

NTGYK

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nothing wrong with feeling like Bond. It just means you have a classy "man of action" time piece.

To hack the movement, you just unscrew the crown, pull the crown out to the last position, the seconds hand should stop moving, and this gives you a way to set the time exactly to the second to an atomic clock like www.time.is. I usually just wait until the 0 second mark, pull the crown out so the seconds hand stops at the 12 o'clock position, set the hour and minute, and wait until the atomic clock reaches the 0 second mark, then I press the crown back in to start the watch. People do this just to check out accurate their watch is.

For example, a COSC certified chronometer will usually have a -4/+6 seconds per day accuracy, which is extremely good. Rolex will have a -2/+2 seconds per day accuracy. Most affordable watches won't be anywhere close to this accurate, so you'll eventually see your time deviates by a minute or more after wearing the watch a few weeks or months. But it's fun to see how accurate a watch's movement is anyways.

I personally love Orient because I know they essentially make their own movement and cases while most other watch brands will source movements from other companies and assemble them. Orient is different, which I appreciate, especially for their price point.

To handwind your watch, you just unscrew the crown and in its first setting (neutral position, not pulled out), you just rotate the crown (I think clockwise?) and you'll wind your watch so the seconds hand starts moving, so you know the watch can now work. Each watch has a barrel that will determine how long a watch has power for, something like 35-42 hours. I believe the Ray Raven II has 40 hours? Whatever the case is, as you wear the watch and because it is an automatic watch, your hand movements will wind the barrel for you and the watch won't need to handwinding. However, if you don't wear the watch for an extended period of time, you can just pick up your watch and unscrew the crown, wind the watch and the seconds hand will move to let you know it's working again. You can handwind the watch to its full 40 hour power reserve, or you can just wind it a little to let it start working, wear it, and your daily movements will wind the watch for you automatically.

Yes, you can wear this watch to the beach, swimming pool, shower, or wherever and it'll be fine. Just make sure to screw the crown back in after setting the time and date, otherwise water may get into the case. The only thing you may need to worry about is wearing it close to things that can magnetize your watch such as microwaves, laptops, etc. You'll eventually see the watch become slightly inaccurate at a faster rate. However, you can just buy a demagnetizer for $10 and demagnetize the watch yourself if this happens.
Thanks for all the info! I really appreciate it.

I unscrewed the crown and set the correct day and time, but now the crown doesn't seem to... Screw back in. :/

NTGYK

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, this screw down crown is driving me bonkers, it won't go back in.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
Yeah, this screw down crown is driving me bonkers, it won't go back in.

Hm, interesting. Did you push the screw in hard and then turn the screw while it's pushed in hard? Screw down crowns tend to be difficult to unscrew and screw back in so that it isn't "accidentally" left unscrewed. You'll know if it's unscrewed and when it's screwed.

NTGYK

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hm, interesting. Did you push the screw in hard and then turn the screw while it's pushed in hard?
Yeah, it took like twenty minutes. Eventually it caught, and weirdly turning it clockwise locked it back in when I'm pretty sure turning it clockwise opened it up in the first place

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
Yeah, it took like twenty minutes. Eventually it caught, and weirdly turning it clockwise locked it back in when I'm pretty sure turning it clockwise opened it up in the first place

Wow, really? I'd say just practice with it a bit more. I don't have my Orient Mako readily next to me at the moment, but I recall it and the Seiko Sport Five dive watch is anticlockwise to unscrew and then clockwise to screw back in.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
yeah, im never selling this. My absolute grail watch was and still is the Speedy Pro, but that design is so popular its never going anywhere. i can get it, theoretically, whenever i choose to shell out the cash. I got this because i knew it was disappearing soon and was the last of its breed.

I really want a Planet Ocean now - but not at the expense of my 2254.50. and im not convinced the PO will always be with us like the Speedy Pro, so it's next on my list. Would probably have it already if not for a detour into camera gear.

I actually bought the Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch earlier this year. It took a lot of internal decision making between the hesalite crystal or sapphire crystal models. I know most people go for the hesalite since it's the authentic classic. However, when I saw the 1861 movement with the sapphire caseback on the sapphire crystal model, I decided on that one. It's a great watch. You can get one whenever you want in the future and it will still be available and classic.

I don't have a Planet Ocean since they're too large for my wrist, but they look modern and sporty... However, your Seamaster is hard to beat. Maybe the Planet Ocean GMT so that it doesn't overlap with your other watches?

NTGYK

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wow, really? I'd say just practice with it a bit more. I don't have my Orient Mako readily next to me at the moment, but I recall it and the Seiko Sport Five dive watch is anticlockwise to unscrew and then clockwise to screw back in.
Yeah, I tried it again and it seems to be doing it the way you say, so I'm thinking I'm just incompetent hahaha

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
Yeah, I tried it again and it seems to be doing it the way you say, so I'm thinking I'm just incompetent hahaha

Honestly, I think we've all been there. I remember having problems with my first diver, the Seiko Sport Five dive watch, from years ago. I never had a screw down crown before that. If I remember correctly, the Orient Ray 2 models have giant crown guards (e.g. the case protrudes outward to cover both sides of the crown to prevent accidental unscrewing of the crown). If there are crown guards on the Orient Ray 2 then that explains some of the difficulties you're having with screwing and unscrewing the crown, which means the crown guards are doing their job right. Would you want to go diving and accidentally unscrew your crown underwater? Probably not.

Wear the watch in good health. Share pictures and your impressions of the watch after wearing it daily for a while. I think we'd all be curious to learn what you think of the watch afterwards. That is a watch that will last you for years, if not a lifetime, if you take good care of it.

Decided to pick up a new daily wear while I decide whether or not to pick up this Breitling Skyracer Raven I have my eye on:

TAG Heuer Formula 1 CAZ1014

tvsuVrm.jpg

That watch looks stunning on your wrist...like really good. How long have you been wearing it?

sooperkool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I think we've all been there. I remember having problems with my first diver, the Seiko Sport Five dive watch, from years ago. I never had a screw down crown before that. If I remember correctly, the Orient Ray 2 models have giant crown guards (e.g. the case protrudes outward to cover both sides of the crown to prevent accidental unscrewing of the crown). If there are crown guards on the Orient Ray 2 then that explains some of the difficulties you're having with screwing and unscrewing the crown, which means the crown guards are doing their job right. Would you want to go diving and accidentally unscrew your crown underwater? Probably not.

Wear the watch in good health. Share pictures and your impressions of the watch after wearing it daily for a while. I think we'd all be curious to learn what you think of the watch afterwards. That is a watch that will last you for years, if not a lifetime, if you take good care of it.

That watch looks stunning on your wrist...like really good. How long have you been wearing it?

I've only been wearing it about a week so I'm still getting used to it.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
I've only been wearing it about a week so I'm still getting used to it.

Wow, that's still fresh. It looks really sporty, clean, and stands out due to the colors. I think it looks amazing. I'm a fan of the Tag Heuer Carrera's and Monaco's, but the Formula 1 models tend to be too big for my wrists, unfortunately. If you had worn this earlier in the year, it would've been perfect for the NFL season!

If I had to be honest, I think that watch looks better than the Breitling Skyracer Raven. But I'm a fan of simple design rather than complications on a watch.

O Vet

Oct 30, 2017
I like big watches, and lucky for me Diesel has those. So I've bought the Big Daddy 2.0, and yes it's pretty big (its 57 mm). But I think it looks really cool and I'm happy with it.

diesel_dz7315_wrist_watch.jpg

sooperkool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that's still fresh. It looks really sporty, clean, and stands out due to the colors. I think it looks amazing. I'm a fan of the Tag Heuer Carrera's and Monaco's, but the Formula 1 models tend to be too big for my wrists, unfortunately. If you had worn this earlier in the year, it would've been perfect for the NFL season!

If I had to be honest, I think that watch looks better than the Breitling Skyracer Raven. But I'm a fan of simple design rather than complications on a watch.

I would really like a Rolex Explorer II but I haven't found one locally so I can see if it wears well on me.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
I like big watches, and lucky for me Diesel has those. So I've bought the Big Daddy 2.0, and yes it's pretty big (its 57 mm). But I think it looks really cool and I'm happy with it.

That's just insane. Absolutely crazy. And yet kind of awesome. I don't think I've ever seen a watch anywhere close to 57mm! Biggest I've seen are probably the IWC Big Pilot watches or the Panerai Luminors. How long have you had the Diesel watch?

That's a LOT of watch! Quick question, shouldn't the crown be facing the other direction?

Rolex Explorer II is awesome. Are you thinking about the black or white dial version? Also, the Explorer II's come and go quickly at the AD (authorized dealers) in my area too. Good luck finding one.

Also, the crown in that picture is how I normally wear my watches. I'm right handed so I normally wear my watch on my left hand (opposite of my dominant hand) so the crown is usually on the side of my hand (away from my arm and body). However, I know some people who prefer to wear the watch on their dominant hand and that's fine, too.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
keeping better time isn't that important with automatics. if you were concerned about dead accuracy, you wouldnt be buying an automatic in the first place!

Everything about the orient is gonna be better, though. materials/build quality/crystal is nicer/bracelet is better
I'm not sure I totally agree with that, most low(er) end autos aren't that accurate, but they have low(er) power reserves, so it in that case it doesn't make much difference.

My Tudor has a 70hr power reserve, so I can leave it all weekend and it still have plenty of reserve left, in this instance, accuatcy is important, thankfully it is COSC, and I have been measuring it over the last few weeks, it's s/d is +0.0s, the biggest swing was -4s a day, but over 3 weeks it seems to even it's self out, so it's extremely accurate.

O Vet

Oct 30, 2017
That's a LOT of watch! Quick question, shouldn't the crown be facing the other direction?

I don't think so? In the picture the watch is upside down, so maybe that's why it looks weird.

That's just insane. Absolutely crazy. And yet kind of awesome. I don't think I've ever seen a watch anywhere close to 57mm! Biggest I've seen are probably the IWC Big Pilot watches or the Panerai Luminors. How long have you had the Diesel watch?

I've had this one for like two weeks now. I've had another one before (still have it) but that one was a bit smaller (52 mm). So when I saw this one and saw it was 57mm I was like, how much bigger can 5 mm be? Well it's noticable hahaha. The other one I have is this one:

DIESEL-DZ7256-22.jpg

And this is the new one:

diesel-mr.-daddy-2.0-black-dial-men_s-chronograph-watch-dz7313.jpg

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I totally agree with that, most low(er) end autos aren't that accurate, but they have low(er) power reserves, so it in that case it doesn't make much difference.

My Tudor has a 70hr power reserve, so I can leave it all weekend and it still have plenty of reserve left, in this instance, accuatcy is important, thankfully it is COSC, and I have been measuring it over the last few weeks, it's s/d is +0.0s, the biggest swing was -4s a day, but over 3 weeks it seems to even it's self out, so it's extremely accurate.

but not as consistently accurate as a quartz movement. If one needs accurate time, they'd opt for quartz. 99.99% of us don't need dead-accurate time. Reasonable accuracy from an automatic is good enough!

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
29049035698_b85a6842f3.jpg

Citizen Titanium Sapphire BM7170-53L I just got last weekend.

Right now I'd say it's very striking, the honeycomb blue dial, highlights on the hours really shine, and it is keeping perfect time. Second hacking so I have it set to atomic time. It's also suprisingly light because of the titanium. Full titanium strap is my understanding too.

Actually a bit smaller than I expected but I think it is about perfect for my wrist. Amazon had it listed at 43mm which I think is maybe inaccurate.

Main downside is the integrated band, so no swapping anything out and a replacement is $150 as it's titanium.

Overall very happy with it. Excellent daily imo as it's very light, sapphire glass, and is striking but not overly dressy or flashy. I actually took it to the pool, and actually did so some diving off the diving board with it, perhaps risky but zero leakage.

Also has a 6 year warranty which is nuts (5 + 1 extra year for registering). I have read of citizen titaniums going for 15 years service free so should be a great investment. Even if the capacitor/battery goes out it can be serviced, so I do see a pretty major benefit of just accuracy over an automatic without needing to worry about a battery still and excellent longevity and warranty. Here is a 15 year old titanium still ticking away. Supposedly if the watch itself doesn't break in some other way the capacity is still 80% after 15-20 years. https://youtu.be/f52-ivecH0s. So way better reserve and time keeping than an auto even after decades, and probably with less service.

Last edited:

NTGYK

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is my day/date borked? The date switches over buy it still shows Tuesday instead of changing

Barls

Oct 25, 2017
So I've got a titanium Seiko that I've had for about 9 years and just got a pretty annoying scratch across the crystal. (11 O'clock to center) - Labs, tennis balls and watches are not a great combo.
I've looked around town and it looks to be ~$50 for a mineral replacement crystal and ~$100 for sapphire. Do I just go with sapphire? I know it's probably worth more than the watch at this point, but just trying to decide what to go for here.
I should probably just buy the turtle I want and deal with the scratch, but I really like this watch. Help...haha
PMpNXg2.jpg

The rest:
2CvjLem.jpg

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I've got a titanium Seiko that I've had for about 9 years and just got a pretty annoying scratch across the crystal. (11 O'clock to center) - Labs, tennis balls and watches are not a great combo.
I've looked around town and it looks to be ~$50 for a mineral replacement crystal and ~$100 for sapphire. Do I just go with sapphire? I know it's probably worth more than the watch at this point, but just trying to decide what to go for here.
I should probably just buy the turtle I want and deal with the scratch, but I really like this watch. Help...haha
PMpNXg2.jpg

The rest:
2CvjLem.jpg

That isn't even bad. If it bothers you that much and you're super sentimental about the watch or something do the sapphire. If not just get a new watch.

I got a titanium sapphire 100 meter citizen for $130 (awesome amazon sale it's now at like $250).

They have a citizen sapphire SS for like $180 though, that looks more like your Seiko than the titanium I got.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017

The rest:

I'm the same with my watches. I try to keep things as original as I possibly can. You really can't go wrong. The sapphire glass will obviously be more resistant to scratches, but since it originally came with mineral crystal, I'd try to keep it with that.

Easystride

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have any preference for replacement band vendors? I ordered a cheap leather band on Amazon to see if I liked it on my watch, and I did, but it looks cheaply made (to be expected for $7.99 lol).

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
This might vary based on where you're located. I'm in Poland and Tekla is my first choice for cheap leather straps - I assume they're available in the rest of EU as well. Bros apparently aren't bad either. Hirsch are considered a decent producer IIRC and a widely available one, if a bit more expensive. Although they moved their production to China - no idea if the quality stayed the same.