• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My Orient Ray is performing beautifully on my weekend in Whistler. Drunkenness, white water rafting, and zip lining, it looks baller af

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
My Orient Ray is performing beautifully on my weekend in Whistler. Drunkenness, white water rafting, and zip lining, it looks baller af

Wow, in one week, you've probably done more than most people have done in years while wearing their watch. Ziplining?Nice! Any wrist shots?

Does anyone have any preference for replacement band vendors? I ordered a cheap leather band on Amazon to see if I liked it on my watch, and I did, but it looks cheaply made (to be expected for $7.99 lol).

For affordable straps, I usually buy straps from CheapestNatoStraps.com and Aliexpress.com. They aren't as high quality as the leather companies from Europe, but at $2-6 per strap that lasts a couple of years on me, I don't mind them.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
Has anyone bought a Colareb strap? After seeing them on urban gentry so much I was thinking about picking one up.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Sup guys,
I just got my Laco 1925 42mm Aachen Blaue Stunde and I ended up polishing the bezel with a Dremel and now it has some sandblast/polish contrast. Also replaced the strap with a Hirsch Rally. Absolutely love it now!
qzbt1eiyrbmljnyctk6vwqcsdh.jpg

My last mod was polishing my Seiko SNK809 completely from the sandblast to reflective polish. Had its strap changed as well to a nice dark leather one.
7jnqtojdq9mwinknnqgj55zsmm.jpg

Here is my whole collection. Nothing fancy, but all have a story and thats what is important to me lol.
chqdckbbrr6rfve1bmwvg10s4y.jpg

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
Sup guys,
I just got my Laco 1925 42mm Aachen Blaue Stunde and I ended up polishing the bezel with a Dremel and now it has some sandblast/polish contrast. Also replaced the strap with a Hirsch Rally. Absolutely love it now!
qzbt1eiyrbmljnyctk6vwqcsdh.jpg

My last mod was polishing my Seiko SNK809 completely from the sandblast to reflective polish. Had its strap changed as well to a nice dark leather one.
7jnqtojdq9mwinknnqgj55zsmm.jpg

Here is my whole collection. Nothing fancy, but all have a story and thats what is important to me lol.
chqdckbbrr6rfve1bmwvg10s4y.jpg

Pretty awesome looking new watch. That bright brown strap suits the blue dial well. The Seiko looks great too. It reminds me of the Hamilton Khaki Field.

It seems you gravitate towards Skagen and Seiko. What's the story behind those?

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
That's a nice Seiko 5. I was looking for one like that or the orient one a while back. sure beats paying IWC or Stowa for one, that's for sure.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
That's a nice Seiko 5. I was looking for one like that or the orient one a while back. sure beats paying IWC or Stowa for one, that's for sure.

Now that's just crazy talk. I like Seiko. But I love IWC watches. Almost everything from the Portuguese, Big Pilot, and similar field watches are amazing. Sadly, they're typically too big for my small wrist.

But affordability? Yeah, Seiko wins all day long. Also, Seiko Credors and Grand Seikos are striking... but they have been elusive from my collection so far...

NTGYK

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wow, in one week, you've probably done more than most people have done in years while wearing their watch. Ziplining?Nice! Any wrist shots?

Unfortunately not, I was too terrified and paralyzed to try and get a photo hahaha. But it's summer, I got more outdoors stuff planned, so wrist shots be coming!

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Pretty awesome looking new watch. That bright brown strap suits the blue dial well. The Seiko looks great too. It reminds me of the Hamilton Khaki Field.

It seems you gravitate towards Skagen and Seiko. What's the story behind those?
Thanks! Appreciate it. I love just taking something and then changing a bit to match my own style. I do that with my car, tech, everything haha.

So my first watch was the Casio, which I had since I was in 6th grade and wore it till I graduated high school. So many memories of taking exams and using my watch to time myself and what not. Actually it had so many scratches and the plastic lens had a deep scratch, so I had to refinish it. Refinishing it caused the plastic case's paint to wear right off. Never repainted it cause I figured, now it at least looks nicer but still has character haha.

I got the invicta as a college present, but I grew tired of it as it was too heavy as I was used to the lightweight Casio. So not much story there haha.

The blue Skagen was my next watch that I wore though half of college. Idk if you can seem, but some of the Jews have come off the dial. That's because I almost got robbed one time walking outside of campus and there was an altercation. Needless to say, I didn't get robbed that day - but my watch was damaged, tho functional.

My mom gave me silver skagen just before she ended up getting cancer diagnosis. Interestingly, that watch is one thing my now girlfriend noticed when I first ran into her haha.

The Seiko - I ended up learning a bit about watches and figured I should try out an automatic one. So I got that and fell in love with the concept lol.

Maybe someday I can get myself an omega, tag, or even a Panerai

sooperkool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! Appreciate it. I love just taking something and then changing a bit to match my own style. I do that with my car, tech, everything haha.

So my first watch was the Casio, which I had since I was in 6th grade and wore it till I graduated high school. So many memories of taking exams and using my watch to time myself and what not. Actually it had so many scratches and the plastic lens had a deep scratch, so I had to refinish it. Refinishing it caused the plastic case's paint to wear right off. Never repainted it cause I figured, now it at least looks nicer but still has character haha.

I got the invicta as a college present, but I grew tired of it as it was too heavy as I was used to the lightweight Casio. So not much story there haha.

The blue Skagen was my next watch that I wore though half of college. Idk if you can seem, but some of the Jews have come off the dial. That's because I almost got robbed one time walking outside of campus and there was an altercation. Needless to say, I didn't get robbed that day - but my watch was damaged, tho functional.

My mom gave me silver skagen just before she ended up getting cancer diagnosis. Interestingly, that watch is one thing my now girlfriend noticed when I first ran into her haha.

The Seiko - I ended up learning a bit about watches and figured I should try out an automatic one. So I got that and fell in love with the concept lol.

You can get a Tag for less than 1500 if you choose to go Quartz, less than 3k if you want an auto. You'll have one of those 3 before too long.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
Unfortunately not, I was too terrified and paralyzed to try and get a photo hahaha. But it's summer, I got more outdoors stuff planned, so wrist shots be coming!

Awesome, enjoy the watch and don't get into too much trouble out there.

First of all, I'm sorry to hear about your mother. I hope she's being treated well.

Secondly, this may be the most enjoyable post I've read about watches in quite some time.

I think no one really cares about mechanical watches anymore. It's kind of like how no one cares about sports cars and the trend is to look forward to electric vehicles like Tesla. So people are more into smart watches like Apple Watch more than they are about mechanical watches. Because no one really cares about watches, it takes a certain kind of person to appreciate watches. You are one of them, as most of us here probably are. So to read and understand the story behind each of your watches is a delight.

I didn't notice the missing indexes on your blue Skagen until I read your story. That's crazy, so it's awesome you still keep the watch.

I think all your watches are quite unique, none of them look alike, so that's really cool to see, too.

If you really want an Omega, Panerai, IWC, or Tag Heuer in the future then I think you should definitely save up for it someday. I think some people buy so many watches that they don't get a chance to really enjoy each watch as they should be. So if you want one of these Omega, Panerai, IWC, or Tag Heuer in the future, then you should totally save up, aim for it, and get one someday to truly enjoy.

Just taking into consideration your appreciation and sentimentality for the watches you have, I think you'd love the Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch (e.g. hesalite crystal or sapphire crystal version). It takes a certain kind of person to enjoy this particular time piece. On top of being the watch that made it to the moon and passed all the NASA tests, the watch itself is unique. Not many watches are made of hesalite crystal (instead of sapphire glass) and also a chronograph with a handwinding movement. Most chronographs are now automatic movements. So to have a handwinding movement in a chronograph in a legendary time piece, it's like driving a sports car with a manual shifter. You have to wind the watch every couple days and because of it you feel more connected to the watch. If you ever get this watch, you may never go to the moon, however, you can take the watch on all the adventures you'll have throughout your lifetime and write your own story.

Similarly, if you don't think you can ever save up for a watch like the Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch, I recommend you check out the Nomos watches. I noticed your collection doesn't have a true dress watch just yet (silver colored case, minimal white dial, black strap) and Nomos makes a lot of them. They make absolutely beautiful time pieces and many have manual movements as well. I think you'd be the kind of person who would appreciate them.

On a personal note, I also started off with Casio when I was growing up. I had one of those Casio calculator watches as well as the models that look like the Casio DW5600. I had those until high school graduation, but I've since lost them after moving out. Then I wore a Seiko Solar Quartz throughout college. Since then, I've also added a few time pieces from other brands to my collection, but they're all great. I enjoy each of them, some for sentimental reasons and some for their uniqueness.

Anyways, wear your time pieces in good health!

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
I think my next watch is the Moonwatch. I've currently got a typical Semaster 300 (the Bond watch, basically) in black - that's my day-to-day wear watch. I've also got an Aqua Terra in blue with the blue crocodile leather strap for more dressy occasions. Occasionally I break out a Seiko SRPA29 - useful for when I'm worried about wearing a more expensive watch as it's a lot cheaper - and a Huawei Watch smart watch that I've sometimes worn for work events when stuff is really busy and the smart aspect would be useful.

I also wanna express, as in the post above, my love for the basic old Casio watches. I still have two versions of the same Casio watch that I wore from about age 14 until about 21 - one metal strap, one leather. I'll never let those go; they're wonderful little pieces.

There's only really two watches on my 'watch bucket list' right now - the Moonwatch and a Rolex Sub. The Moonwatch is the cheaper, obviously, so that's my next target. I also really like the Omega De Ville range from the 60s, but finding one in good condition at a good price is rarer than I'd like.

Last edited:

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have suggestions on where to shop for watch bands? I've posted in here before about getting a Citizen Nighthawk, and I'm getting very close to finally pulling the trigger, but I really want to put it on a leather band eventually. Any tips/tricks? I also need a new band for my trusty Seiko so I'm looking for affordable, but quality leather bands.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
41178789360_07cac9c013.jpg

Invicta Pro Diver 8926 with a Zulu put on it. Actually the SS band was very good quality, clasp is better than on my more expensive citizen.

Case is also very nice, and I like the magnified date.

Running less than 10 seconds fast after setting it to atomic time on Saturday. 12 hr standby overnight no problem as well, haven't tried longer yet.

Overall very happy with it. Was only $60 sold by amazon too. It's just as nice as the citzen imo for well under half the price. I bought my citizen sapphire titanium for $130 but its now like $250 everywhere. Screw down crown I will trust more in water too. It isn't sapphire or titanium like the citizen but the build quality is impressive.

Last edited:

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
I think my next watch is the Moonwatch. I've currently got a typical Semaster 300 (the Bond watch, basically) in black - that's my day-to-day wear watch. I've also got an Aqua Terra in blue with the blue crocodile leather strap for more dressy occasions. Occasionally I break out a Seiko SRPA29 - useful for when I'm worried about wearing a more expensive watch as it's a lot cheaper - and a Huawei Watch smart watch that I've sometimes worn for work events when stuff is really busy and the smart aspect would be useful.

I also wanna express, as in the post above, my love for the basic old Casio watches. I still have two versions of the same Casio watch that I wore from about age 14 until about 21 - one metal strap, one leather. I'll never let those go; they're wonderful little pieces.

There's only really two watches on my 'watch bucket list' right now - the Moonwatch and a Rolex Sub. The Moonwatch is the cheaper, obviously, so that's my next target. I also really like the Omega De Ville range from the 60s, but finding one in good condition at a good price is rarer than I'd like.

I have both the Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch and the Rolex Submariner. I think both are amazing time pieces. They may seem like the typical chronograph and diver watches, but it's because they set the bar and the template for all chronographs and divers since the last century. I personally prefer the Speedmaster Moonwatch between the two because of how unique it is and its history. While I love the Submariner, I also know that essentially all other dive watches can go just as deep, if not deeper. Almost every single watch in history became famous because of marketing pushes (e.g. James Bond, Mt. Everest hike, swimming across the English Channel, flying across the Atlantic, etc.). Almost every single watch can do the same thing as these Rolexes. However, there is one singular watch that did what no other watch did and no marketing would have helped with: Survive all the harsh tests from NASA before becoming certified for space flight. Enter the Omega Moonwatch. No other watch survived the stringent tests that this watch did. So for all the talk of toughness from every watchmaker, it is really cool looking back at history and realizing the Omega Speedmaster was tough as nails to survive the impact tests, gravity tests, extreme temperature tests, etc. to become the NASA watch of choice. And for the watch to make it to the moon and even help save Apollo 13? No other watch in history is as bad ass as the Omega Speedmaster. None. You can say that Rolex Daytona is the favorite chronograph or whatever but it's only because it's made famous by certain celebrities. But how many watches can say they actually did something without marketing? Not many, if any.

So knowing this, I actually love my Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch even more. And like earlier, I like the fact that it's old school with its manual winding movement. You feel it become a part of you. As you take care of it by winding it every couple of days, it takes care of you by telling time, and exuding both class and history on your wrist. I think you'll love it. And then get the Rolex Submariner afterwards. It's awesome, too, but it can clearly wait since you already have an equally awesome dive watch, Bond Seamaster Professional 300 Diver. It's the watch that helped save Omega from obscurity in the 1990's and helped put Omega back on the map with the help of James Bond. Not much in the history of watches made a comeback quite like Omega did with the Bond watch. It's personally why I have an appreciation for watches.

I love Casio watches as well. I think most watch enthusiasts appreciate them for their toughness, affordability, and just history. As geeky as that Casio calculator watch was, it was on my wrist for most of my K-7 years and then its DW5600-like G-shock model completed the rest of my K-12 years. Good memories. You're lucky you still have them. Because they were my first watches, I'm disappointed they're no longer with me. Wear yours in good health!

Also, the Omega De Ville series are some of my favorites. I know it's not as popular in the US as it is in other parts of the world like Asia, but I love their classic designs. The first Omega I ever bought was actually a De Ville Co-axial. That watch started my love of dress watches.

Does anyone have suggestions on where to shop for watch bands? I've posted in here before about getting a Citizen Nighthawk, and I'm getting very close to finally pulling the trigger, but I really want to put it on a leather band eventually. Any tips/tricks? I also need a new band for my trusty Seiko so I'm looking for affordable, but quality leather bands.

I recommend checking out cheapestnatostraps.com and aliexpress.com. The first website gives you a good idea of what's out there and for an affordable price. I've used them several times for different straps. Aliexpress.com is where many Amazon sellers get their watch straps to sell on Amazon.com, so you can cut out the middle-man by shopping at Aliexpress and get things for much cheaper, however, shipping takes almost a month.

OP
OP
Galacticsushiman
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Almost every single watch in history became famous because of marketing pushes..... No other watch survived the stringent tests that this watch did.

Both statement are very questionable mate :)

On the first sentence:

Nope, many Rolexes are legendary, and it's not because of marketing, but because of their quality. The GMT is legendary, and was an order from Panam, so a real need, not a marketing stunt, same for the The Milgauss, the COMEX is a legend because it was the only diver to survive north sea drilling... None of those 'legends' are linked to any marketing push...

Steve McQueen is forever linked to the Heuer Monaco, because of a marketing sponsorship with the 'le mans' movie, but actually he was wearing a 5512 most of the time (and even on set when filming Le Mans :D), and then an Explo II (again, no marketing, contrary to Heuer :D).

On the other hand, you could say that the moonwatch, I mean the original ref. 105.003 which was worn on the moon, is impressive because it went through the crazy NASA requirements, and I agree, but it then became a marketing fest... So many limited edition, so much 'cashing on the moon' since then from Omega... It's pretty ridiculous, and much worse than any Rolex out there. I mean there are auto with a moonphase complication and triple date versions of the moonwatch in 42mm today! Can you imagine how useful it is to know the phase of the moon, when you are on the moon? Or the day of the week? :D

Last, on the second part:

Nope, it was proven that the Bulova accutron actually went through the same tests with acceptable results too. Bulova was unfortunately unable to 'prove' that their case was dust proof, so Omega was chosen at the end... Some also claim that the Wittnauer submited (a 235T or a 242T owing to sources) did went through everything too, but did not meet ONE requirement (not a test, but a requirement, as for the Accutron). I am not sure who is right, but I would not claim that the Speed was the only one to go through all the tests successfully, it's probably not the case :)

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I recommend checking out cheapestnatostraps.com and aliexpress.com. The first website gives you a good idea of what's out there and for an affordable price. I've used them several times for different straps. Aliexpress.com is where many Amazon sellers get their watch straps to sell on Amazon.com, so you can cut out the middle-man by shopping at Aliexpress and get things for much cheaper, however, shipping takes almost a month.

Thanks a ton! I've only looked at the first website so far, but it's exactly what I was looking for!

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Awesome, enjoy the watch and don't get into too much trouble out there.

First of all, I'm sorry to hear about your mother. I hope she's being treated well.

Secondly, this may be the most enjoyable post I've read about watches in quite some time.

I think no one really cares about mechanical watches anymore. It's kind of like how no one cares about sports cars and the trend is to look forward to electric vehicles like Tesla. So people are more into smart watches like Apple Watch more than they are about mechanical watches. Because no one really cares about watches, it takes a certain kind of person to appreciate watches. You are one of them, as most of us here probably are. So to read and understand the story behind each of your watches is a delight.

I didn't notice the missing indexes on your blue Skagen until I read your story. That's crazy, so it's awesome you still keep the watch.

I think all your watches are quite unique, none of them look alike, so that's really cool to see, too.

If you really want an Omega, Panerai, IWC, or Tag Heuer in the future then I think you should definitely save up for it someday. I think some people buy so many watches that they don't get a chance to really enjoy each watch as they should be. So if you want one of these Omega, Panerai, IWC, or Tag Heuer in the future, then you should totally save up, aim for it, and get one someday to truly enjoy.

Just taking into consideration your appreciation and sentimentality for the watches you have, I think you'd love the Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch (e.g. hesalite crystal or sapphire crystal version). It takes a certain kind of person to enjoy this particular time piece. On top of being the watch that made it to the moon and passed all the NASA tests, the watch itself is unique. Not many watches are made of hesalite crystal (instead of sapphire glass) and also a chronograph with a handwinding movement. Most chronographs are now automatic movements. So to have a handwinding movement in a chronograph in a legendary time piece, it's like driving a sports car with a manual shifter. You have to wind the watch every couple days and because of it you feel more connected to the watch. If you ever get this watch, you may never go to the moon, however, you can take the watch on all the adventures you'll have throughout your lifetime and write your own story.

Similarly, if you don't think you can ever save up for a watch like the Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch, I recommend you check out the Nomos watches. I noticed your collection doesn't have a true dress watch just yet (silver colored case, minimal white dial, black strap) and Nomos makes a lot of them. They make absolutely beautiful time pieces and many have manual movements as well. I think you'd be the kind of person who would appreciate them.

On a personal note, I also started off with Casio when I was growing up. I had one of those Casio calculator watches as well as the models that look like the Casio DW5600. I had those until high school graduation, but I've since lost them after moving out. Then I wore a Seiko Solar Quartz throughout college. Since then, I've also added a few time pieces from other brands to my collection, but they're all great. I enjoy each of them, some for sentimental reasons and some for their uniqueness.

Anyways, wear your time pieces in good health!
Thank you! She is being treated well!
Its interesting that you asked about the stories, cause I don't think I ever explicitly told anyone my stories about my watches lol.
I had no idea that the Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch was a handwinding chronograph with automatic movement. Thats so neat, I already loved the history behind that watch. That and the neat hesalite crystal. I love your analogy of hand winding watches being like driving a manual sports car.

I just looked up Nomos, wow I truly do love their designs haha. I really love the Autobahn Nematik 41 date, what a beautiful loom.

I like how everyone has had a Casio at some point and then Seiko.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
Both statement are very questionable mate :)

On the first sentence:

Nope, many Rolexes are legendary, and it's not because of marketing, but because of their quality. The GMT is legendary, and was an order from Panam, so a real need, not a marketing stunt, same for the The Milgauss, the COMEX is a legend because it was the only diver to survive north sea drilling... None of those 'legends' are linked to any marketing push...

Steve McQueen is forever linked to the Heuer Monaco, because of a marketing sponsorship with the 'le mans' movie, but actually he was wearing a 5512 most of the time (and even on set when filming Le Mans :D), and then an Explo II (again, no marketing, contrary to Heuer :D).

On the other hand, you could say that the moonwatch, I mean the original ref. 105.003 which was worn on the moon, is impressive because it went through the crazy NASA requirements, and I agree, but it then became a marketing fest... So many limited edition, so much 'cashing on the moon' since then from Omega... It's pretty ridiculous, and much worse than any Rolex out there. I mean there are auto with a moonphase complication and triple date versions of the moonwatch in 42mm today! Can you imagine how useful it is to know the phase of the moon, when you are on the moon? Or the day of the week? :D

Last, on the second part:

Nope, it was proven that the Bulova accutron actually went through the same tests with acceptable results too. Bulova was unfortunately unable to 'prove' that their case was dust proof, so Omega was chosen at the end... Some also claim that the Wittnauer submited (a 235T or a 242T owing to sources) did went through everything too, but did not meet ONE requirement (not a test, but a requirement, as for the Accutron). I am not sure who is right, but I would not claim that the Speed was the only one to go through all the tests successfully, it's probably not the case :)

Oh man... I think you and I can probably debate about this topic for ages. Their quality is undeniable, just as you say. But I'll just say that while I love Rolex, I will say like 90% of their popularity is marketing. I've always considered them the Apple of their day, especially when they were much more innovative during the 1920-60's (e.g. popularized wristwatches for men, first water proof case, first date window, marketed their diving watch better than Blancpain's diving watch, etc.), however, their marketing is still a force to be reckoned with even to this day. They're amazing. However, I still think that all of their watches are famous because of marketing. None of them are legendary without marketing. Again, I love Rolex watches, but all of them were done as marketing pushes. Get the toughest men or people to do something while wearing a Rolex and gain popularity (e.g. Mt. Everest, diving, racing, tennis, golf, etc.).

The difference between the Omega Moonwatch and other famous watches is marketing. Watches like the Rolex Submariner/Daytona/Presidential, Tag Heuer Monacco, Jaeger LeCoultre Perpetual Calendar, and even Omega's Seamaster/Planet Ocean/Aqua Terra are famous for the celebrities wearing them (e.g. Sean Connery's James Bond, Paul Newman, US Presidents, Steve McQueen, and Dr. Strange). The Omega Moonwatch was thrown through some tests that no other watches survived the first round of testing. Even through two more rounds of testing, Omega's Speedmaster beat out the competition again and again. You can't buy that marketing from NASA. They just put several brands' watches to the test and it's amazing that the Omega Speedmaster came out on top to eventually become the Moonwatch. There are several sources out there, which are outdated and several rumors thrown around, but who best to hear from than the man in charge of the NASA tests and selection process? There are several videos and interviews with him, but it's usually the same: All watches in the first round failed the first test whereby the process was you fail any test, you fail the entire test.

Monochrome's Omega Speedmaster Documentary from the man in charge of the NASA tests and selection process:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOLpxwskvwc

So while I know all about the Bulova, Casio G-Shocks, and other watches that have made it into space, I always found it amazing what Omega achieved with the Speedmaster Moonwatch. For example, everyone knows the Rolex Explorer was based on the Oyster Perpetual that made it to the summit of Mt. Everest. But I'm willing to bet that even my old Casio watch can make it to the top of Mt. Everest. However, I am much less confident that my Casio can survive through the stringent tests that NASA put the Moonwatch through. You can't buy that kind of publicity. That's awesome. I find this even more amazing than the watch making it to the moon since I'm sure most watches would make it to the moon just fine.

And of course, Omega marketed the Moonwatches to the moon and back, but that's after it became the Moonwatch. It didn't change the fact that the Moonwatch did the impossible and survived all the tests NASA threw at it whereas the Rolex Cosmograph, Longines, etc. did not. I think when a watch can survive the harsh tests that no other watch could from NASA, be the first watch worn on the moon, and even help save the lives of Apollo 13... they can market it all they want.

With all that said, I love all the watches we've mentioned and I even own some of them. However, I think the Moonwatch is quite special because of its achievement before marketing was even involved. It's not like NASA gains anything by marketing Omega. They just wanted a watch that would be safe to wear and be helpful in all situations astronauts would find themselves in.

And to be fair, Omega has to do limited editions since it and almost every watch brand are declining in sales. You know why Rolex doesn't have to do special limited editions to push sales? Because it's Rolex. Everyone knows Rolex. Everything thinks Rolex is the best. When you're the best, you don't need to do as much to market yourself.

Again, I love Rolex, but it's just a simple observation of the state of industry (as well as their public financial statements). Everyone else is struggling right now, especially since the market in China is declining compared to a few years ago.

Whew, now all that is out of the way, which are your favorite watches? You know a lot about watches so I'm assuming you're a watch enthusiast or collector. =)

Thank you! She is being treated well!
Its interesting that you asked about the stories, cause I don't think I ever explicitly told anyone my stories about my watches lol.
I had no idea that the Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch was a handwinding chronograph with automatic movement. Thats so neat, I already loved the history behind that watch. That and the neat hesalite crystal. I love your analogy of hand winding watches being like driving a manual sports car.

I just looked up Nomos, wow I truly do love their designs haha. I really love the Autobahn Nematik 41 date, what a beautiful loom.

I like how everyone has had a Casio at some point and then Seiko.

Casio's and Seiko's are awesome. I think they are able to bring appreciation of fine time pieces to people, or at least get them started.

Here are videos to help you appreciate Nomos even more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUcTAKUxM3c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK0v7Zm5uaY

I'm a big fan of their watches because they make amazingly delightful, fun, and minimal watches. Unlike most German watches that make very austere/strict/old-school watch designs, Nomos injects personality into their watches. Also, for people who can't afford a watch from the Big 3 (e.g. Patek Philippe, Vacheron Constantin, and Audemars Piguet) with their finished movements (e.g. Geneva strips/ribbing, beveling, chamfers, black polish, blued screws, etc.)... Nomos provides some of these finishing on their movements at an affordable price.

Lastly, here is a review of the Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch that I think is quite good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPYOTq4DhkI

I will note that I don't have the Speedmaster with the hesalite. I actually chose the one with the Sapphire crystal, because it also has a sapphire caseback that lets you see the Omega Speedmaster's movement 1863 in its glory.

Every watch has a story and I think that's what makes them amazing, just like the stories that your watches have. No one needs a watch anymore, but I still find the notion that the watch you wear will share and represent the events you experience in your life to be quite amazing. I think someone said in a video once, which I find very true: The best watch in the world is the one you're wearing, because you're enjoying it here and now. (Some people just baby their watches and throw them into a vault as an investment instead of enjoying them).

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got a hankering for a Pepsi GMT, and I don't want to spunk ££££ on a Rolex et al, so I think the only other options are Steinhart and Squale?, both aren't in stock anywhere.....

OP
OP
Galacticsushiman
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
lots of interesting stuff.

We disagree on the definition of 'marketing push' then :) A sponsorship, a media investment, a PR campaign, a product placement, a branding 'lifestyle' campaign, all those are marketing pushes. But when someone decides to wear a watch cause he likes it, this is not marketing. When a watch is responding to a real need, and is the only one to do it at that time, it's not marketing either.

I also think you project a lot of 'modern Rolex' (after the 80s) on the 'old Rolex' (before the 80s). Rolex was not always the marketing powerhouse it is today... Still.

I do know a thing or two about watches indeed :) You can check my IG if you want to know what I like :)

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
Bit too expensive for something that might be a folly.

I think I might pick up a Parnis and a Steinhart, I wouldn't mind seeing how the Parnis compares (or doesn't) with the Steinhart!

It's pretty expensive but I just saw it in person today. It's a very lovely watch. If you don't want to spend the amount for a Rolex Pepsi GMT, then I think the Tudor is a great alternative. Nice rotating action, good proportion even on my small wrist, and the colors are bright and striking on the bezel. The dial itself is similar to what you'd expect from a Tudor with the applied indexes and iconic hands.

Which Parnis and Steinhart are you thinking of checking out? I'm not too well versed with these brands, unfortunately.

We disagree on the definition of 'marketing push' then :) A sponsorship, a media investment, a PR campaign, a product placement, a branding 'lifestyle' campaign, all those are marketing pushes. But when someone decides to wear a watch cause he likes it, this is not marketing. When a watch is responding to a real need, and is the only one to do it at that time, it's not marketing either.

I also think you project a lot of 'modern Rolex' (after the 80s) on the 'old Rolex' (before the 80s). Rolex was not always the marketing powerhouse it is today... Still.

I do know a thing or two about watches indeed :) You can check my IG if you want to know what I like :)

Haha. No worries. I get excited about watches and games (if it's not obvious already), but I don't actually think we disagree too much on the term "marketing". I think everyone has a reason to believe a watch is special, whether it's given to them by someone special, they saw someone they admire wear it, or even the development history of one, etc. It's what makes this hobby special.

With that said, you have an amazing collection. I haven't seen that Silverwave in a long time. I've only seen some people in the Watchuseek forums (I think) post about it a while ago. That's probably my personal favorite from your collection, despite your other amazing watches. The Royal Oak and the Pepsi GMT stand out, too, as far as famous pieces go. Great collection, way more varied than mine (mine is essentially just the usual Omega, Rolex, and then some more affordable watches, but I love them all).

Which is your favorite? It seems like you've taken a shining to your Silverwave based on how many times I see it on your pictures.

NTGYK

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The Speedmaster is my grail watch

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just looking at those pics, and I wanted to do a quick £100 vs £400, is the Steinhart worth 4x as much?

Without having them in hand, I can't tell for sure, but pure on a visual basis IMO the Steinhart is worth it.

Parnis

Pros, Ceramic bezel, Price

Cons, Bezel engraving (probably because it's ceramic), no name movement,no name on dial, is it an homage, is it a fake without 'Rolex' on it.

Steinhart

Pros, Swiss movement, Bezel engraving looks slicker, name on dial,

Cons, aluminium bezel, price

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
As a former Steinhart owner, it's definitely worth 4x the cost of the Parnis. I wish I had kept my Steinhart.

OP
OP
Galacticsushiman
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Haha. No worries. I get excited about watches and games (if it's not obvious already), but I don't actually think we disagree too much on the term "marketing". I think everyone has a reason to believe a watch is special, whether it's given to them by someone special, they saw someone they admire wear it, or even the development history of one, etc. It's what makes this hobby special.

With that said, you have an amazing collection. I haven't seen that Silverwave in a long time. I've only seen some people in the Watchuseek forums (I think) post about it a while ago. That's probably my personal favorite from your collection, despite your other amazing watches. The Royal Oak and the Pepsi GMT stand out, too, as far as famous pieces go. Great collection, way more varied than mine (mine is essentially just the usual Omega, Rolex, and then some more affordable watches, but I love them all).

Which is your favorite? It seems like you've taken a shining to your Silverwave based on how many times I see it on your pictures.

I do not really have a favorite to be honest, I love them all differently :) The one I tend to wear the most is probably the fuchsia GMT just because I love the color and it's quite a versatile watch, it's also the one I hunted down the longest (I wanted eggshell patina + all original + fuchsia bezel, hard to find it all without paying a huge premium...), that counts :D

Right now I am looking at vintage cloisonné watches a lot, especially from Vacheron, they ahve a lot of personality, and I tend to value this a lot in a watch :)

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
Just looking at those pics, and I wanted to do a quick £100 vs £400, is the Steinhart worth 4x as much?

Without having them in hand, I can't tell for sure, but pure on a visual basis IMO the Steinhart is worth it.

Parnis

Pros, Ceramic bezel, Price

Cons, Bezel engraving (probably because it's ceramic), no name movement,no name on dial, is it an homage, is it a fake without 'Rolex' on it.

Steinhart

Pros, Swiss movement, Bezel engraving looks slicker, name on dial,

Cons, aluminium bezel, price

Without holding them both in your hands to compare, I think it'll be difficult. I've never owned either brand, but judging from from the pictures, I think the Steinhart offers a good amount of luxury to match the value of $300 on top of the Parnis' offering. The Parnis seems so empty without anythingon the dial, logo, etc.

Hopefully more people who have experience with Steinhart can chime in here. Or you can ask on Watchuseek forums since it has a lively and helpful community.

I do not really have a favorite to be honest, I love them all differently :) The one I tend to wear the most is probably the fuchsia GMT just because I love the color and it's quite a versatile watch, it's also the one I hunted down the longest (I wanted eggshell patina + all original + fuchsia bezel, hard to find it all without paying a huge premium...), that counts :D

Right now I am looking at vintage cloisonné watches a lot, especially from Vacheron, they ahve a lot of personality, and I tend to value this a lot in a watch :)

Absolutely lovely watches. Your collection is extremely varied, which is really impressive. I keep thinking about getting a Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, or Vacheron Constantin watch but the more I research them the more I realize they don't hand finish to the degree that independent watchmakers and A. Lange & Sohne do with their watches. If I am going to spend $20K+ on watches, I value a lot of the human input and effort that goes into making the watch (e.g. stamping a dial vs. engraving the dial like Breguet does). So I keep going back and forth on the watches from the Big 3.

Good luck with the hunt for a cloisonné watch from Vacheron Constantin though. Hard to find, expensive, and rare, but hopefully it'll be worth it. The hunt always continues. =)

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't expect the Steinhart to be up to the level of my Tudor or Monaco, but i might be surprised!

OP
OP
Galacticsushiman
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Absolutely lovely watches. Your collection is extremely varied, which is really impressive. I keep thinking about getting a Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, or Vacheron Constantin watch but the more I research them the more I realize they don't hand finish to the degree that independent watchmakers and A. Lange & Sohne do with their watches. If I am going to spend $20K+ on watches, I value a lot of the human input and effort that goes into making the watch (e.g. stamping a dial vs. engraving the dial like Breguet does). So I keep going back and forth on the watches from the Big 3.

Good luck with the hunt for a cloisonné watch from Vacheron Constantin though. Hard to find, expensive, and rare, but hopefully it'll be worth it. The hunt always continues. =)

Lange is not more independent than AP or PP, but I understand what you mean :)

Oh, and just FYI, I never spent $20k+ on any watch, $11k was my max, I am not that rich yet :)

I used to share your view on human input, now I am not sure anymore. The movement and its finish is just a part of the package, and while I loathe the lazy brands stuffing an ETA/Sellita with en engraved rotor and calling the movement theirs, I think we, WIS, tend to overstate the importance of the movement finish... (IMHO). And really, if human input is the number 1 KPI, then let's all go Grand Seiko! :D

Finally, VC cloisonné watch are not that hard to find, the issue, as with everything vintage in this market, is the condition and price :)

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
I don't expect the Steinhart to be up to the level of my Tudor or Monaco, but i might be surprised!

Honestly, man, I love my Orients and Seikos as much as my other time pieces, despite the price tag. If you have the itch, just pull the trigger if you've got enough saved up for it (on top of enough savings for the necessities in life). Better to spend $400 on a watch and scratch the itch than spending $4,000 on a watch only to realize you don't love it as much as you had hoped.

Lange is not more independent than AP or PP, but I understand what you mean :)

Oh, and just FYI, I never spent $20k+ on any watch, $11k was my max, I am not that rich yet :)

I used to share your view on human input, now I am not sure anymore. The movement and its finish is just a part of the package, and while I loathe the lazy brands stuffing an ETA/Sellita with en engraved rotor and calling the movement theirs, I think we, WIS, tend to overstate the importance of the movement finish... (IMHO). And really, if human input is the number 1 KPI, then let's all go Grand Seiko! :D

Finally, VC cloisonné watch are not that hard to find, the issue, as with everything vintage in this market, is the condition and price :)

Oops, I guess I was mistaken, I didn't mean Lange as an independent watchmaker, I just meant more of their human input into their movement finishing (chamfering, polishing, beveling, striping, etc. all on top of hand assembling) compared to other brands. I was discussing the topic with some people on the Rolex Forums I learned a lot. While I've never toured any of these watch companies (yet), I was honestly disheartened to learn that some companies I had assumed would put more human effort into their watches actually did less than I expected.

The reason I was disappointed was because unlike a lot of other WIS you see on Rolex, Omega, Watchuseek forums, I don't have a ton of money to just throw down on a $20K-100K watch. Whatever watch I buy I usually research, appreciate, and eventually pull the trigger by making sacrifices outside in life whether it's not going on vacation, eating out less, etc. until I have enough saved. So if I spend my hard earned money on a watch at that class of watches, I value the human input a lot. And you're right, perhaps a lot of WIS people will overstate the importance of the human element, but for me, after much introspection, I realize I value the human touch a lot.

I don't hold anything against watches that do use ETA/Sellita/Miyota movements, but most of them are much more affordable than say a $10-20K+ watch. As long as they are upfront about it and I know it, then it's OK. However, for me personally, a watch at such a high price (for me), I want to know it's worth it to me. So just a nitpick from me.

With all that said, of the Big 3, I actually like Vacheron Constantin the most despite their lagging popularity behind Patek Philippe and Audemars Piguet. I personally think they have the best looking dress watches of the 3. I'm a fan of their Patrimony and Traditionnelle models. That Cloisonne is pretty nice... I assume when people are looking for watches, they're looking for ones in great shape, which is hard. =P

I'm also a big fan of their older Mercator series. If you have seen it before you'll know how unique it is, it's like a compass on top of a watch dial. It's cool and shows why I like Vacheron Constantin. Too bad they don't have an iconic watch like the Nautilus or Royal Oak so more people can appreciate the brand. =)

It's also funny you mention Grand Seiko because I'm currently looking for one right now... but is it bad that the only one that catches my eye is the Seiko Credor Eichii II?... That's like $50K though... I don't have anywhere close to that, maybe never will... Haha.

And $11K is a lot... The most I have spent is $15K but I have to take a break for a while or else it's going to kill me financially. I think you and I both have a sickness. Maybe you moreso, because you actually have an Instagram page dedicated to watches. =P

Last edited:
OP
OP
Galacticsushiman
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Oops, I guess I was mistaken, I didn't mean Lange as an independent watchmaker, I just meant more of their human input into their movement finishing (chamfering, polishing, beveling, striping, etc. all on top of hand assembling) compared to other brands. I was discussing the topic with some people on the Rolex Forums I learned a lot. While I've never toured any of these watch companies (yet), I was honestly disheartened to learn that some companies I had assumed would put more human effort into their watches actually did less than I expected.

The reason I was disappointed was because unlike a lot of other WIS you see on Rolex, Omega, Watchuseek forums, I don't have a ton of money to just throw down on a $20K-100K watch. Whatever watch I buy I usually research, appreciate, and eventually pull the trigger by making sacrifices outside in life whether it's not going on vacation, eating out less, etc. until I have enough saved. So if I spend my hard earned money on a watch at that class of watches, I value the human input a lot. And you're right, perhaps a lot of WIS people will overstate the importance of the human element, but for me, after much introspection, I realize I value the human touch a lot.

I don't hold anything against watches that do use ETA/Sellita/Miyota movements, but most of them are much more affordable than say a $10-20K+ watch. As long as they are upfront about it and I know it, then it's OK. However, for me personally, a watch at such a high price (for me), I want to know it's worth it to me. So just a nitpick from me.

With all that said, of the Big 3, I actually like Vacheron Constantin the most despite their lagging popularity behind Patek Philippe and Audemars Piguet. I personally think they have the best looking dress watches of the 3. I'm a fan of their Patrimony and Traditionnelle models. That Cloisonne is pretty nice... I assume when people are looking for watches, they're looking for ones in great shape, which is hard. =P

I'm also a big fan of their older Mercator series. If you have seen it before you'll know how unique it is, it's like a compass on top of a watch dial. It's cool and shows why I like Vacheron Constantin. Too bad they don't have an iconic watch like the Nautilus or Royal Oak so more people can appreciate the brand. =)

It's also funny you mention Grand Seiko because I'm currently looking for one right now... but is it bad that the only one that catches my eye is the Seiko Credor Eichii II?... That's like $50K though... I don't have anywhere close to that, maybe never will... Haha.

And $11K is a lot... The most I have spent is $15K but I have to take a break for a while or else it's going to kill me financially. I think you and I both have a sickness. Maybe you moreso, because you actually have an Instagram page dedicated to watches. =P

Well, ok, this conversation feels a bit disjointed to be honest :D Still, I wanted to thank you for your many contributions to the thread and thorough responses to all the questions resetera members might have, it's really appreciated! Thx mate!

hockeypuck

Oct 29, 2017
If I'm going to be dropping tons of dough on a haute horlogerie watch, the human element in finishing needs to be a key element. I agree with Tryptobphan. We've all probably seen this nicely produced youtube video about the differences among a Nomos, an entry-level (relative!) Jaeger LeCoultre, and a mid tier from Lange.

For me, once a watch goes above $5000, I would like finishing done by humans (and prefer in-house manufacture), because I know what Nomos can do with machine-applied finishing and they set a high bar. Other material factors that bump up cost (precious metal/jewels and complications) are of less import to me. If I could buy a Vacheron Traditionelle in steel or titanium, instead of white gold or bloody platinum, I would. If I could buy a basic Lange 1 with a steel case, I would buy it this year. A steel Lange is not heresy.

Since Grand Seiko was recently mentioned, here's my SBGH267. Of course it's in steel; I'm no (titanium) Snowflake. Love the 3-D effect of the dial pattern. The pattern is actually very, very, close to completely flat. Love how the minute hashes seem to "hover" over the dial pattern. Love the Zaratsu polishing.

Stowa and Sinn pulled me down this jewelry rabbit hole. That's enough ETA for me. Grand Seiko checked off a big box. 1 down on the list. To go: a Nomos, a Lange, and a Vacheron. After that I'll continue to re-buy Casio F91Ws and cry at servicing fees for the rest of my life. And find a less expensive hobby.

Last edited:

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
That GS is gorgeous. I'd been looking at those new models at my local AD with that dial pattern. They look fantastic.
Very nice man!

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Rocking my Seiko 5 all the time. I love watches, but I'm a teacher, so I can't afford nice watches.

I would love to have an Omega Speedmaster one day, but I doubt it will ever happen. I just couldn't justify spending that much on a watch.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
Well, ok, this conversation feels a bit disjointed to be honest :D Still, I wanted to thank you for your many contributions to the thread and thorough responses to all the questions resetera members might have, it's really appreciated! Thx mate!

Well, it is always nice talking about watches with people, even here! It's rare for me to find someone who appreciates watches around me.

Since Grand Seiko was recently mentioned, here's my SBGH267. Of course it's in steel; I'm no (titanium) Snowflake. Love the 3-D effect of the dial pattern. The pattern is actually very, very, close to completely flat. Love how the minute hashes seem to "hover" over the dial pattern. Love the Zaratsu polishing.

Stowa and Sinn pulled me down this jewelry rabbit hole. That's enough ETA for me. Grand Seiko checked off a big box. 1 down on the list. To go: a Nomos, a Lange, and a Vacheron. After that I'll continue to re-buy Casio F91Ws and cry at servicing fees for the rest of my life. And find a less expensive hobby.

That is an insanely beautiful watch. That dial is just something else... Congrats on the watch. I need to save up again for a Grand Seiko model, but not sure which yet.

And I know what you mean, Seiko definitely pulled me into the deep rabbit hole I'm in now. I have a Nomos Club 38 Night/Nacht and I love it. I think you'll enjoy it, too. They're full of personality. Hopefully you'll find a nice Lange and Vacheron that resonate with you, too. Good luck!

Rocking my Seiko 5 all the time. I love watches, but I'm a teacher, so I can't afford nice watches.

I would love to have an Omega Speedmaster one day, but I doubt it will ever happen. I just couldn't justify spending that much on a watch.

I enjoy my Seikos and I think they offer so much value for the money. If you ever decide to save up for one, I hope you'll find yourself a great Omega Speedmaster. I think that compared to Rolexes and other luxury watches, the Omega Speedmaster can be had for much cheaper, yet offers a lot of heritage and even quirks you may enjoy. Good luck!

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Picked up a new watch today for an upcoming wedding (seems like thats when I only buy watches lol). How'd I do?

k2J0UGT.jpg

Last edited:

hockeypuck

Oct 29, 2017
I need to save up again for a Grand Seiko model, but not sure which yet.
I'm going to go with the popular answer and recommend the SBGA211 Spring Drive Snowflake. To me, that's the quintessential GS. IMO, Snowflake to GS is what the Submariner is to Rolex. The fantastic dial needs no explanation and the unique movement has true seconds hand glide. The titanium is significantly lighter on the wrist than the steel cases. Why didn't I get one? Because I was already buying it on the behalf of a friend! He appreciates what Seiko created with the Spring Drive and wanted a piece of that history. The movement can be manual-wound, and it was neat seeing the power reserve sweep back to full.

Since GS dial patterns are what stand out to me, my other two choices are two GMTs, the SBGJ213 and SBGJ227 "Peacock". They're both hi-beat models and lovely. I was set on getting the SBGJ213 until I read news about the watch I posted above.

My critiques about Grand Seikos: At least on the hi-beat models, the date does not instantly flip at midnight. You can see the date number crawl halfway through the window before it finishes the flip. I don't consider that a dealbreaker, but even workhorse ETA 2824-2 insta-flips close to midnight. The bracelet is supposedly no match to the oyster bracelet, I've consistently read. I'm fine with GS's bracelet, but I've never worn a Rolex. And finally, Spring Drive watches currently have to be shipped back to Japan for servicing. The non-Spring Drive mechanicals are serviced in New Jersey.

Oh yeah, I came across this watch at the Ginza boutique store while I was picking up the Grand Seikos. Please forgive the potato quality:
The nice Japanese store manager asked if I wanted to handle it. I said "No thank you." Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather not touch a new $50K watch I have zero intention of buying. Keep it unblemished for the lucky bastard. Go buy it, lol!

Picked up a new watch today for an upcoming wedding (seems like thats when I only buy watches lol). How'd I do?
If you don't know how to use a chronograph/tachymeter, have fun spending hours reading up on it! Amazing what it can measure.

Last edited:

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017

Looks awesome. I like the minor use of orange on the dial and the hint of orange on the strap. I'm a fan of seconds hands that are differently colored than the main hour and minute hands. Wear it in good health!

I'm going to go with the popular answer and recommend the SBGA211 Spring Drive Snowflake. To me, that's the quintessential GS. The fantastic dial needs no explanation and the unique movement has true seconds hand glide. The titanium is significantly lighter on the wrist than the steel cases. Why didn't I get one? Because I was already buying it on behalf for a friend! He appreciates what Seiko created with the Spring Drive and wanted a piece of that history. The movement can be manual-wound, and it was neat seeing the power reserve sweep back to full.

Since GS dial patterns are what stand out to me, my other two choices are two GMTs, the SBGJ213 and SBGJ227 "Peacock". They're both hi-beat models and lovely. I was set on getting the SBGJ213 until I read news about the watch I posted above.

My critiques about Grand Seikos: At least on the hi-beat models, the date does not instantly flip at midnight. You can see the date number crawl halfway through the window before it finishes the flip. I don't consider that a dealbreaker, but even workhorse ETA 2824-2 insta-flips close to midnight. The bracelet is supposedly no match to the oyster bracelet, I've consistently read. I'm fine with GS's bracelet, but I've never worn a Rolex. And finally, Spring Drive watches currently have to be shipped back to Japan for servicing. The non-Spring Drive mechanicals are serviced in New Jersey.

Oh yeah, I saw this watch at the Ginza boutique store while I was picking up the Grand Seikos. Please forgive the potato quality:

The nice Japanese store manager asked me if I wanted to handle it. I said "No thank you." Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather not touch a new $50K watch I have zero intention of buying. Keep it unblemished for the lucky bastard.

If you don't know how to use a chronograph, have fun spending hours reading up on it! Amazing what it can measure.

That's just crazy awesome. The Seiko Credor Eichii 2 is definitely a grail watch for me, but at $50K, I'll probably never be able to own one. I don't think I'll ever see it in person either considering how rare they are. At least you got to see it.

And thanks for the advice. I've actually been trying to stop by a couple AD's in my area but that particular model (both the previous and updated models) have been elusive. Sadly, some of the models I like do not have display casebacks, but some models I don't like have display casebacks. I'll just wait until I can try more in person. I haven't even seen the model you have in stock yet so congrats again. I honestly don't feel too much of a difference between the steel straps of a Rolex Submariner, Omega Speedmaster, or Omega Seamaster. I've tried on a few Grand Seikos and I feel their straps are just as good, if not better (e.g. lighter). I think it's overrated when people talk about how Rolex straps are so much better than every other strap. As long as the strap doesn't pinch skin or grab hair, then it's comfortable. For what it's worth, my favorite steel strap is from my Omega Seamaster 300, because it has my favorite micro-adjustment feature. The Rolex Submariner's glidelock feature is nice but I have to take it off to make the adjustment. The Omega Seamaster 300, I can just unclamp the clasp but not take the watch off my wrist, make the adjustment, and clamp it again. My point: I'm pretty sure your Grand Seiko strap is as good, if not better than a Rolex strap.

I would have strapped on that Eichi II like I owned, lol.
Well, not really. :)

I totally would've tried it on. I've tried on A. Lange & Sohne watches and Patek Philippe watches I cannot afford yet...like maybe ever, but it's still nice to have goals. If I keep working hard, go up the ladder, get better jobs... and eat instant noodles for the next couple decades, I can probably afford that Credor Eichii II. =)

Last edited:

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watchfinder did a great video on the GS yesterday, man I have now got a serious hankering for a GS.......

DarkPrince

Dec 2, 2017
Worn this everyday for the past 8 years, looking at getting something new and passing thing along to my son. Thinking of going with a MontBlanc, really lie some of their simplistic designs.

GCERCA5.jpg