• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm having such a tough time finding a black Orient Producer anywhere. Been looking for like two months

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
Tudor-Black-Bay-Fifty-Eight-79030N-7.jpg

Oh man, just when I just bought an IWC Mark XVII, I saw these.

38mm, perfect for my tiny wrist. I heard its hard to get these due to demand.

ekimneems

Oct 29, 2017
Tudor-Black-Bay-Fifty-Eight-79030N-7.jpg

Oh man, just when I just bought an IWC Mark XVII, I saw these.

38mm, perfect for my tiny wrist. I heard its hard to get these due to demand.

I have a standard BB and am considering upgrading to this. The BB is really chunky. I just wish the bezel numbers were still silver and not gold in the 58.

Oct 27, 2017
Hi.............. I just dipped my toes very gently into this pool and bought two Timex watches, a Weekender and an Expedition. And I think they're lovely. I'm trying to understand the hobby in greater detail, specifically what to look for if I want to get something a bit nicer. I find myself gravitating towards the casual and field style more than anything. Not a big fan of diver watches or super dress design. I like a big watch face, bright numbers, clean but not extremely minimal.

I forgot how but I somehow stumbled on to Carpenter watches, which I think look beautiful, but expensive and limited. I also hear they don't use the highest quality movement (still learning about this). Anyone have any experience with that brand at all?

NTGYK

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think I'm gonna save up for a secondhand Speedmaster Reduced. I like the slightly smaller dial and love the Speedmaster style + it's quite a bit more affordable haha.

NTGYK

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hi.............. I just dipped my toes very gently into this pool and bought two Timex watches, a Weekender and an Expedition. And I think they're lovely. I'm trying to understand the hobby in greater detail, specifically what to look for if I want to get something a bit nicer. I find myself gravitating towards the casual and field style more than anything. Not a big fan of diver watches or super dress design. I like a big watch face, bright numbers, clean but not extremely minimal.

I forgot how but I somehow stumbled on to Carpenter watches, which I think look beautiful, but expensive and limited. I also hear they don't use the highest quality movement (still learning about this). Anyone have any experience with that brand at all?

I'm not the most experienced, but looking at Carpenter, they look nice but definitely seems overpriced to me.

Maybe look at Orient Bambino and Defender watches? A lot more affordable, very well made, a bunch of different styles. It's easier to drop a hundred or couple hundred bucks on a great piece that is well respected than 900 when just starting out on a hobby.

But the Carpenter looks nice, if it makes you happy, then it's worth it.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize this thread existed until today.

Recently I decided to update my watch "collection". I have smaller wrists, so that kinda informed my choices. For a causal watch I went with a Hamilton Khaki field watch (same strap):

h69419933-hamilton-800x800.jpg

For work I have two watches I wear depending on my shoe and belt color. I have my dad's recently serviced gold 1960's Omega Seamaster with a brown strap:

7589248f-efb0-4113-ba86-3f680c550b63_1.b247529c93defb0fe1e52076b28f8e3a.jpeg

I also purchased a Nomos Tangente 35 with a black strap:

101-139-tangente-3d-front.jpg

The Nomos also works as a dressier casual watch.

I think this is a pretty good 3 watch combination. Obviously my dad's watch is my favorite.

Browny

Oct 25, 2017
That Nomos is gorgeous.

Currently rocking an Orient from the 80s with lots of character.

By character, I mean it gains a minute or two an hour - but I don't care, it's an auto, goes with everything I own, and set me back the grand total of £23.

Oct 25, 2017
That Nomos is gorgeous.

Thanks! I'm super happy with it.

Here's what I'm currently lusting for:

JLC Reverso Classic. I love dress watches and this is an all-time classic. Also, I love the prominence and the fact that the case is different from my current collection.

jaeger-lecoultre-reverso-classic-large-silver-dial-men_s-hand-wound-watch-q3858520.jpg

As I noted above I have smaller wrists so I really struggle with tool watches. However, this Farer Segrave Chronograph is thinner and the case is smaller (39mm diameter, 12.5mm depth) than your typically chronograph. I also just love how it looks including the controversial bronze "turbine" crown. A main concern is you can only buy it online and I'd really like to try it on before I purchase it.

Farer-Segrave-01.jpg

Farer-Automatic-Chronograph-Series-Cobb-Eldridge-Segrave-8.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not the most experienced, but looking at Carpenter, they look nice but definitely seems overpriced to me.

Maybe look at Orient Bambino and Defender watches? A lot more affordable, very well made, a bunch of different styles. It's easier to drop a hundred or couple hundred bucks on a great piece that is well respected than 900 when just starting out on a hobby.

But the Carpenter looks nice, if it makes you happy, then it's worth it.
Thanks, having just got into this it's been fun to quickly find what my preferred aesthetic is. There's a few Seiko that I'm looking at for under 100.

I think for my first big purchase I've been looking at this Orient:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077NSZG6D/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_oOvfCb9YHWZD8?pldnSite=1

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
20181211_143739_by_edmonddantes9285_dcunhn5-pre.jpg

My trusty old Omega Aqua Terra 8500 Master Co-Axial.

Had it for three years now, and still love it. Under the radar, subtle and refined. Two years away from service and it's still looking pretty decent. But it definitely has lots of wear and tear, which you can't really tell from the photo. It keeps good time, and well within the expected loss/gain per day for the 8500 movement.

It's certainly a keeper.

Last edited:

NTGYK

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
20181211_143739_by_edmonddantes9285_dcunhn5-pre.jpg

My trusty old Omega Aqua Terra 8500 Master Co-Axial.

Had it for three years now, and still love it. Under the radar, subtle and refined. Two years away from service and it's still looking pretty decent. But it definitely has lots of wear and tear, which you can't really tell from the photo. It keeps good time, and we'll within the expected loss/gain per day for the 8500 movement.

It's certainly a keeper.

Beautiful watch
Decided on my first "nice" watch:

Orient Men's '2nd Gen. Bambino Ver. 2' Japanese Automatic Stainless Steel and Leather Dress Watch, Color:Black (Model: FAC0000AB0) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01MYRALKQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_3tAgCb1ME054D
Very nice!

ekimneems

Oct 29, 2017
Welp, I've done it - I bought a Rolex Explorer I Mk2 - picking it up tomorrow and will post pics. Had to sell my Tudor BB and Nomos Tangente to fund it but I think it'll be well worth it.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
By Mk2 you mean the 36mm one or the second gen 39mm? I assume the latter?

Anyway, enjoy. The 36mm is pretty much my grail.

ekimneems

Oct 29, 2017
Here's a quick phone snap I took right after I got it in the car on Friday. Going to really try to get some good pics this week with my real camera.

Pictures honestly don't do it justice though (and I guess that's true with a lot of watches)

E7CjZwQ.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Also as a second gift to myself I just bought the Orient Envoy 2 open heart variant, in blue/silver. I got it off of their website and they're closed until January 3rd so won't get it until next month.

erpg

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
Here's a quick phone snap I took right after I got it in the car on Friday. Going to really try to get some good pics this week with my real camera.

Pictures honestly don't do it justice though (and I guess that's true with a lot of watches)

E7CjZwQ.jpg
Nice. Was my first Rolex as well. Looks killer on a leather strap.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Also picked up a GS recently, albeit the classic SBGA211:

sbga211.png

I rationalized it that the titanium being lighter was better for a programmer...

hockeypuck

Oct 29, 2017
Also picked up a GS recently, albeit the classic SBGA211:

I rationalized it that the titanium being lighter was better for a programmer...
It really is. I swear my left biceps is bigger than my right, ever since I started wearing an all-steel GS.

In all seriousness, I was kinda surprised at how lightweight the titanium models are, side by side.

Last edited:

hockeypuck

Oct 29, 2017
I thought that was for aesthetic - to make it look like a car speedometer at night (while driving on the Autobahn). It's not just the blue one either. If you see the white, it's there too. Just less obvious in daylight
I stand corrected on the lume not being exclusive to the blue version. My original comment was more of a criticism (for not being that functional) on the dial design, especially from Nomos. Hodinkee sums up my thought on it:
Nomos could've had lume dots at 5 and 7, lume also on the tip of the minutes hand, and make the watch far more functional in the dark. I get the speedometer aesthetic, but it's more confusing then as to why some models don't have lume on the hours hand.

Last edited:

ekimneems

Oct 29, 2017
Was definitely a bit disappointed in those Nomos releases. I've never been a fan in general of 3-date windows either, same as on the IWC Big Pilots.

I really loved my Tangente (just sold it to fund this Explorer), and my wife has a Tangente 33 Champagner which is just fantastic. Nomos should probably stick to what they do best: beautiful minimalist Bauhaus with great value in-house movements

hockeypuck

Oct 29, 2017
Was definitely a bit disappointed in those Nomos releases. I've never been a fan in general of 3-date windows either, same as on the IWC Big Pilots.

I really loved my Tangente (just sold it to fund this Explorer), and my wife has a Tangente 33 Champagner which is just fantastic. Nomos should probably stick to what they do best: beautiful minimalist Bauhaus with great value in-house movements
Sometimes I think they push the minimalist philosophy too far, and it impairs functionality. Case in point- the midnight blue Metro is a friggin' beautiful watch. It's been showcased in both this thread and the previous NeoGAF iteration. Maybe from the same poster. Unfortunately the syringe style hands are not only thin, but polished completely flat. No bevel, no lume to give a more angled contrast. That's torture against a dark dial background. The hands nearly disappear when looking at this watch head-on:
j7zlcXQ.jpg
You can barely make out the hour hand when I took this photograph, in a well lit room.

Seen at an angle, the hands of course reflect light off beautifully. Hench why many higher end watch manufacturers use beveled hands.
Nd5gTAH.jpg

In comparison, what I have on hand is a Grand Seiko with a similar dark background. Dauphine hands mean thicker and more visible watch hands, plus they're beveled, plus they're brushed. The hands jump out against the dark background. I can read this watch with moonlight. This photograph was taken in a darker room with curtains closed.
MAnt7WP.jpg
Note how even though the 7 and 8 hour markers are mostly dimmed, the bevel is what allows the markers to still be functional.

With so many angles on a brushed surface, light reflection is more possible on the most important functional pieces of a wristwatch.
3JlD0Gu.jpg

FWIW, the Tangente line do use beveled hands. Even a single bevel edge helps. Kinda sucks that I'm now used to looking at the Metro watch at an angle.

Forgive me for the potato qualities. I save money on cameras/phones so I can afford to buy watches.

Last edited:

ekimneems

Oct 29, 2017
Very good points about the minimalism and I agree for sure. I've only had a Tangente and it's also the only one I've ever even seen in person (no ADs near me).

The Zaratsu polishing on the GSs are seriously insane. I might have to get a GS next. Was thinking maybe that cream colored GMT that Hodinkee sells or a Snowflake.

Oct 27, 2017
What's some good resources for watch bands? Just Amazon? The Orient I have right now is 21mm, I assume you could go slightly lower but it would look strange?

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017

ekimneems

Oct 29, 2017
What's some good resources for watch bands? Just Amazon? The Orient I have right now is 21mm, I assume you could go slightly lower but it would look strange?

Depends on what kind of strap you're looking for. Check out Crown & Buckle and The Wind-Up Shop, Hodinkee (kinda overpriced but really nice stuff), Erika's for the coolest NATO around, etc.

Overall if it's leather my advice is don't cheap out - fake and crappy leather is going to start to wear down really fast and look bad.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been just looking around at different kinds of straps but wasn't sure where to look. Amazon has them but never know about quality. Thanks for the feedback!

Right now I got the Orient Bambino, and I got the Envoy 2 ordered so I'll have that this month.

Also I'm sure this was a silly idea but I signed up for a single month of this service called Watch Gang which is just a blind box subscription service for watches...

Lastly, any thoughts on Aeromatic 1912 pieces? Been looking at LongIslandWatch for different brands and there's some from them that I like the design.

https://www.aeromatic-1912.com/aeromatic-a1383.html

Last edited:

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
Lastly, any thoughts on Aeromatic 1912 pieces? Been looking at LongIslandWatch for different brands and there's some from them that I like the design.

https://www.aeromatic-1912.com/aeromatic-a1383.html

Never heard of them, but the fact that they don't list specific movements in their specs makes me suspicious.

Luckily, at least the design itself is basically your typical Type B B-Uhr/Flieger (except for the fancy crown and the crownguard), so there are some alternatives: Orient has their own budget Flieger and if you don't mind buying from a company whose whole business model is copying popular designs 1:1, except with their own logo, there is Tisell. Although some people don't like the changes made to dial proportions in the Orient, so YMMV.

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just found out that watches with dials made out of actual meteorites are a thing and they look amazing. What's the cheapest watch I could get with one of these dials?