• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
I just found out that watches with dials made out of actual meteorites are a thing and they look amazing. What's the cheapest watch I could get with one of these dials?
A Zelos Hammerhead Meteorite is an option under 1k.

Difficult to find now though.

Here's a review of the bronze edition:

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/zelos-hammerhead-bronze-dive-watch-review/

Otherwise, Omega and Jaeger LeCoultre have their models, but certainly aren't reasonably priced.

easter

Nov 15, 2017
Finally had a few minutes to take a proper picture of the new Explorer!

0OU1Fmu.jpg

Beautiful. Fist's Bambino and those two GS's are gorgeous as well.

Oct 27, 2017
Never heard of them, but the fact that they don't list specific movements in their specs makes me suspicious.

Luckily, at least the design itself is basically your typical Type B B-Uhr/Flieger (except for the fancy crown and the crownguard), so there are some alternatives: Orient has their own budget Flieger and if you don't mind buying from a company whose whole business model is copying popular designs 1:1, except with their own logo, there is Tisell. Although some people don't like the changes made to dial proportions in the Orient, so YMMV.

I looked into the brand a bit and found they use a specific Chinese movement. A lot of people assumed they're a Chinese company pretending to be a German made watch company but actually.....they're a German company pretending to be a German made watch company by sources Chinese movements. Some of the reviews I read say it's a good watch though. I'm into the beige/tan Dial and the pilot design. Been looking around for something similar. I might still end up getting that one.

Oct 27, 2017
My "next watch" thoughts have been all over the place since I've been bouncing around between different styles and brands haha. I decided to wait on the Orient Sun and Moon since they just released ver 4 with Arabic numerals, which I prefer over Roman. Gonna wait for the price to come down since it's pretty expensive at launch.

I've been eyeing the Junkers Bauhaus 6060-5 which is really nice but a bit expensive, also it has a plastic crystal so I'd be worried about scratching it. But it's super pretty IMO

easter

Nov 15, 2017
Fist, i hear it's pretty easy to buff out scratches in the plastic, though. I am considering a junkers or a max bill.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017

easter

Nov 15, 2017
A lot of bb58 2019 love! My coworker has one and it's really nice. I tried one on on NATO and fell for it too. Maybe in the next 2 years. I am sorta hoping they release a red or blue version in March.

For me: I hope to save for a GS. Also considering a Nomos, though.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not rolling as deep as a lot of y'all ...not yet at least. But right now I have these lined up:

- Orient Envoy 2 Open Heart (blue dial) was just shipped so I'll have that next week
- I'm talking to a dude on Ebay to get the Aeromatic 1912 A1383. I'm getting that mostly because I like the way it looks - less than optimal movement nonwithstading
- I'm going to get the Junkers Bauhaus 6060-5 somepoint this month using some Amazon gift money from my job, just waiting to get the cards then I'll be ordering it
- Long term I still want the Orient Sun and Moon ver 4

Oh and also I have some random watch I'll be getting from Watch Gang at some point this month. I paid 50 bucks for the month which is half off the normal price and it's supposed to be at least double the value (assuming MSRP) so who knows what I'll get.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
2019 I'm going to be slowly saving for a rolex milgauss green black 116400gv. been wanting a milguass for a couple years now but it's just a bit too out of range and I don't want to sell other parts of my collection to fund it. probably won't be able to purchase it in 2019.

easter

Nov 15, 2017
2019 I'm going to be slowly saving for a rolex milgauss green black 116400gv. been wanting a milguass for a couple years now but it's just a bit too out of range and I don't want to sell other parts of my collection to fund it. probably won't be able to purchase it in 2019.

what have you been wearing most from your collection?

Oct 27, 2017
Ordered my Junkers, and I decided to get a Orient Mako II as well. Should get both on Monday. I also got a red/blue nato strap for the Mako II because I don't like bracelets.

Oct 27, 2017
what have you been wearing most from your collection?
My every day is usually a sinn ux and on vacation the beater is a seiko sbdc033 both on natos. I use almost exclusively natos except for a dress vintage and occassionally the nomos.

It's usually on a black blushark strap but this was taken with the red toxicnato

The milgauss would stay on the original band for sure

hockeypuck

Oct 29, 2017
My every day is usually a sinn ux and on vacation the beater is a seiko sbdc033 both on natos. I use almost exclusively natos except for a dress vintage and occassionally the nomos.

It's usually on a black blushark strap but this was taken with the red toxicnato
I wish Sinn (at least their only U.S. AD) would sell them with the nato option. Their watches are practically designed for nato straps. When I got this EZM3, I immediately replaced the OEM leather strap with a blushark bond nato. Thankfully that $80 otherwise waste of leather fits one on my grail watches, so I'm storing it. Leather straps for tool watches??
h6LtrFK.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
I wish Sinn (at least their only U.S. AD) would sell them with the nato option. Their watches are practically designed for nato straps. When I got this EZM3, I immediately replaced the OEM leather strap with a blushark bond nato. Thankfully that $80 otherwise waste of leather fits one on my grail watches, so I'm storing it. Leather straps for tool watches??
h6LtrFK.jpg
man that's sucha nice strap on the sinn. and they totally should although thicker natos kinda need to be forced through the spring bars for me

edit: not as clean of a shot, but on the train home from work on a slightly different strap

edit 2: I actually got mine with the rubber strap and didn't realize I had to cut each link off myself to fit it. It was such a cool experience doing so, but I dunno if it would still fit since I gained a little weight since I bought it :P

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't worn anything but my Casio for months now. It's just do damn convenient. Even my beloved Seiko SARB033 has been collecting dust.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Each movement to be built by the same watchmaker.
Man, they're going to milk the hell out of it both in marketing and price.

They even scanned one of the actual Speedmasters to see what was inside as if it's not like all the other 321 calibres of the same era. Oh please.
Yeah, Omega have made a habit (adopted a business model to be more precise) of milking their legacy to the fullest extent.

Oct 27, 2017
So far I've got my:

Orient Mako II (Red/Blue variant with red/blue nato strap)
Junkers Bauhaus 6060-5
Orient Envoy 2 Open Heart (Blue dial)

After wearing them for a bit I think I like them in this order Orient Envoy 2 > Junkers > Orient Mako II

Some pics:

The Envoy has such a big and pretty dial. I love the white numerals and hands against the blue. It catches my eye every time. The Junkers is a slight second, only because it's less readable to me but on that I love big bezel-less design and the color and design of the dial. The Mako is my least favorite mostly because Divers aren't generally my thing but with the blue/red strap is elevates it for me.

Last edited:

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
Bought some cheap straps. I wished there was an easy way to install those metal bracelets. Cause putting them back on was a bitch.

62mxwUt.jpg

wMmr1nZ.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
It sucks a bit getting into this hobby now considering how prices seem to have inflated so much. Those Speedmasters are expensive lmao.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It sucks a bit getting into this hobby now considering how prices seem to have inflated so much. Those Speedmasters are expensive lmao.

Buy a beater and send it to Omega for service or wait til joma has it on sale for $2800. I really can't see them going new for under $3k anymore with any regularity. With this watch, you're better off buying sooner than later because the prices are only going up.

ekimneems

Oct 29, 2017
The Rolex supply constraint is the most egregious price-wise. New stainless ones of common models are selling for over MSRP, just nuts.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been reading about service schedules for watches. Seems rule of thumb tells me that for most automatics, it's every 5-7 years. Obviously this is entirely dependent on the worth of the watch because the process can be pricey. Something like my Orient Bambino, Envoy, or Maki only cost me like 150, so it probably wouldn't be worth it since it would cost more than the watch itself. For those better served just wearing them into the ground and then dumping them.

But my Junkers Bauhaus retailed for 500, would that be worth services? (I only payed ~250 with gift money). Might be still to inexpensive to justify it? 5-7 years is a long time and I could decide I want something else by then.

If I ended up getting a Speedmaster that would be absolutely something I'd want to service since it's upwards of 2-3K.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would really depend on what you want to do with the watch and the cost of service.

For a watch that cost $150 and $100 to service? I wouldn't bother.

On the otherhand, if the watch had some sentimental value like it was an heirloom from a relative or something, I would personally keep it in tip top shape.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
With SIHH 2019 over now, I'd go with the Vacheron Constantin Traditionelle Twin Beat Perpetual Calendar as Watch of the Show.

vacheron_constantin_traditionnelle_twin_beat_perpe_by_edmonddantes9285_dcxhtxd-pre.jpg

vacheron_constantin_traditionnelle_twin_beat_perpe_by_edmonddantes9285_dcxhtwn-pre.jpg

dcxhv5d-7a31f796-bec5-49fe-8d99-0a5d69352882.jpg

From the press release:
Over its 264 years of horological excellence, Vacheron Constantin has established an unshakeable reputation for meaningful innovation in technical and design domains. Today defining the future of fine mechanical watchmaking, Vacheron Constantin presents the Traditionnelle Twin Beat Perpetual Calendar, a timepiece that can adapt to its wearer's needs. When worn, the Traditionnelle Twin Beat Perpetual Calendar beats at a high frequency that is aligned with modern active lifestyles, displaying the hours, minutes, date, month, leap year cycle and power reserve on its dial. When the watch is not being worn, its in-house developed calibre 3610 QP can be slowed down in order to guarantee an extended power reserve of at least 65 days.
https://presslounge.vacheron-consta...ar-a-breakthrough-in-function-and-innovation/

Tim Mosso on the VC:

hockeypuck

Oct 29, 2017
It's a shame that there are no seconds hand on that watch, AFAIK. And I love the Traditionelle line. Its base model is one of my grail watches.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame that there are no seconds hand on that watch, AFAIK. And I love the Traditionelle line. Its base model is one of my grail watches.
Indeed. I would love to see the technology from this watch utilized in Vacheron's more affordable range of watches, but I don't see it happening unfortunately.

Another company with an impressive SIHH and return to form is JLC. The Master Ultra Thin range with those the stunning enamel dials in particular.

hero_by_edmonddantes9285_dcxjex1-pre.jpg

From left to right: Master Ultra Thin Moon Enamel, Master Ultra Thin Perpetual Enamel, Master Ultra Thin Tourbillon Enamel

Oct 27, 2017
As long as I don't get outbid I'll be getting a Seiko Alpinist soon. I've been eyeing it for awhile and finally pulled the trigger on a lightly used model in eBay.

Edit: Won the auction! Gonna have it sometime next week!

Last edited:

ekimneems

Oct 29, 2017
I really want one of those IWC Spitfire Chronos announced at SIHH but I want to see them in person first.

Oct 27, 2017
those JLC models were my personal favorite.

I'm also hoping my luck strikes and I get the tudor black bay 58 for $58 from stockx with the couple of referrals I made.

the past year I didn't win anything and I entered raffles to get the omega speedmaster speedy tuesday ultraman for $2,000 and the 3 separate free nomos watches for the nomos advent calendar - this bad luck needs to run out

Ostinatto

Oct 30, 2017
Guys, where i can find Strap links of these old watches?

Tag Heuer Professional WM 1113
BqSwSIv.jpg

AND

Omega Seamaster Recife
Zt8K5DX.jpg