• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
so I have already tried it in store and i am interested in this specific model, its lot cheaper if I buy it online

https://www.chrono24.com/omega/spee...onal-chronograph-black-steel-4--id8341679.htm

what do you guys think? any trusted site i can use? or i shouldn't buy online
A trusted seller on Chrono24 with plenty of positive reviews is a good start.

Would like to see more images of the watch itself from less obvious angles and set to a time of your choosing just to be sure that they're not just stock images of a Speedy and that they actually have it in their inventory. Contact them and request this. It's always better to put that extra effort in when spending money on a luxury watch.

I'd do further research on the seller as well, just to be sure.

Nothing wrong with buying online as long as you're prudent and thorough.

If I may ask, any reason why you're not buying from an Omega Boutique?

BeforeU

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A trusted seller on Chrono24 with plenty of positive reviews is a good start.

Would like to see more images of the watch itself from less obvious angles and set to a time of your choosing just to be sure that they're not just stock images of a Speedy and that they actually have it in their inventory. Contact them and request this. It's always better to put that extra effort in when spending money on a luxury watch.

I'd do further research on the seller as well, just to be sure.

Nothing wrong with buying online as long as you're prudent and thorough.

If I may ask, any reason why you're not buying from an Omega Boutique?

ahh thanks, will do. Well its almost $1500 more expensive here in Canada if i buy it from a store. My sister lives in Michigan so i was just going to ship it to her place. I haven't checked the price at any boutique in states, i should do that actually

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017
Fascinating thread. I dipped into the waters a couple of years ago with an Orient Bambino 2nd gen. Automatic, the cream dial and blue hands version. Currently looking at something that would work as my daily wear and I really like the look of the Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical. Thoughts?

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
so I have already tried it in store and i am interested in this specific model, its lot cheaper if I buy it online

https://www.chrono24.com/omega/spee...onal-chronograph-black-steel-4--id8341679.htm

what do you guys think? any trusted site i can use? or i shouldn't buy online
ahh thanks, will do. Well its almost $1500 more expensive here in Canada if i buy it from a store. My sister lives in Michigan so i was just going to ship it to her place. I haven't checked the price at any boutique in states, i should do that actually
You're not going to find much cheaper (if at all) at an AD.
So you want the 006 with the Sapphire instead of 005 with the Hesalite crystal?
If you're going to go for a new watch from the gray market. I'd go with Jomashop for the Speedmaster.
It's currently on sale for 3895 for the 006 and 3875 for the 005. No tax and no shipping fee for Michigan.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Fascinating thread. I dipped into the waters a couple of years ago with an Orient Bambino 2nd gen. Automatic, the cream dial and blue hands version. Currently looking at something that would work as my daily wear and I really like the look of the Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical. Thoughts?
Hamilton are a reputable brand, and their Khaki Field range of watches are well built, well spec'd and well regarded in the horological world.

In that price range, you can't do much better for a daily beater.

Go for it. But as I said above to BeforeU, do plenty of research before you buy.

BeforeU

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You're not going to find much cheaper (if at all) at an AD.
So you want the 006 with the Sapphire instead of 005 with the Hesalite crystal?
If you're going to go for a new watch from the gray market. I'd go with Jomashop for the Speedmaster.
It's currently on sale for 3895 for the 006 and 3875 for the 005. No tax and no shipping fee for Michigan.

correct, looks like Sapphire will take more everyday beating than hesalite. Also that exposed back is very appealing on sapphire model.
and the $3895 price is for pre-owned. New one is $4475 on Jomashop

erpg

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa

BeforeU

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
are self-winding less reliabe for long run? still debating if i should get Speedmaster automatic or self-winding

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
are self-winding less reliabe for long run? still debating if i should get Speedmaster automatic or self-winding
The biggest issue for a manual wound watch is crown wear due to the winding process, but for a Speedy and with Omega's warranty, it really isn't a significant issue. The Speedmaster been so ubiquitous, means you can get most issues fixed at a reputable watch repair shop for a fraction of the price of a full service from Omega.

Apart from the obvious difference between the 1861 (manual) and 1863 (automatic) movements, that been the rotor, there's negligible difference between them (a different material used for the Delrin brake is one such difference).

In the end, you'll be fine with both watches, and it really does come down to what you want; an exhibition caseback, sapphire crystal and not having to wind the watch daily versus a non-exhibtion caseback, Hesalite crystal and the pleasure of winding your watch on a daily basis.

BeforeU

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The biggest issue for a manual wound watch is crown wear due to the winding process, but for a Speedy and with Omega's warranty, it really isn't a significant issue. The Speedmaster been so ubiquitous, means you can get most issues fixed at a reputable watch repair shop for a fraction of the price of a full service from Omega.

Apart from the obvious difference between the 1861 (manual) and 1863 (automatic) movements, that been the rotor, there's negligible difference between them (a different material used for the Delrin brake is one such difference).

In the end, you'll be fine with both watches, and it really does come down to what you want; an exhibition caseback, sapphire crystal and not having to wind the watch daily versus a non-exhibtion caseback, Hesalite crystal and the pleasure of winding your watch on a daily basis.

wait what? both 1863 and 1861 are manual wind

Hesemonni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's little to complain on reliability side of things really. I had a manual wound watch once and the novelty of having to wind the watch every now and then wore of pretty quickly. Automatics are so care free in the sense that if you just move a little bit it the rotor is moving and you're OK on power reserve. Most of the automatic movements also have the ability to hand wind so there's also that.

esseesse

Oct 27, 2017
Arrived on Friday plus Nato Strap.

Already getting a lot of compliments, people think its a very expensive watch!
So far so good, my current daily beater.
NuGAQPt.png

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Okay. I just found this thread, and I haven't owned a watch since I rocked the color-changing face Fossil watch as a teenager.

I have pretty tiny wrists, and I feel like many of the watches I see shared here might look ridiculous on my wrist. My hands are totally average, and when I wrap my thumb and middle finger around my wrist, the center of my thumb pad is touching the cutical of my middle finger nail.

Yeah... My wrists are embarrassingly dainty.

What might be a good style, brand, or model to look into for a mid-range, everyday wear? I could have Googled 'best watches for small wrists,' but I've enjoyed this thread so much, I wanted to hear what you guys recommend. Thanks!

Hesemonni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What might be a good style, brand, or model to look into for a mid-range, everyday wear? I could have Googled 'best watches for small wrists,' but I've enjoyed this thread so much, I wanted to hear what you guys recommend. Thanks!
You pretty much answered your own question, put in "best watches for small wirsts" for example in YouTube and you'll get a ton of videos about it.

Also, humour us and measure the circumference of your wrist for people to give you a better idea. For example, I have a 6.75" wrist which I feel is pretty miniscule and I go for watches with a lug to lug distance of 48mm max. Bigger than those look silly on me.

Currently sporting a Seiko SKX007 which I absolutely adore.

ekimneems

Oct 29, 2017
Okay. I just found this thread, and I haven't owned a watch since I rocked the color-changing face Fossil watch as a teenager.

I have pretty tiny wrists, and I feel like many of the watches I see shared here might look ridiculous on my wrist. My hands are totally average, and when I wrap my thumb and middle finger around my wrist, the center of my thumb pad is touching the cutical of my middle finger nail.

Yeah... My wrists are embarrassingly dainty.

Many brands have smaller models. I think you simply need to think case size. Think in the 36-39mm range in general unless your wrists are really really small. 36mm is a safe bet.

For mid-range brands that are small wrist friendly, I highly recommend Nomos

Oct 29, 2017
I have 6-6.25 inch wrist . Recently picked up a Tudor Heritage Black Bay 36 . Fit is perfect (how do i post pics ) . Get that .

Other options for small everyday watches . Oyster perpetual , Tudor 1926 , omega seamaster midsize , nomos club (long lugs ) , iwc makes a little 36mm too .

Cheaper midsize options

Oris , longines , junghans , stowa all have a ton of small watches

For inexpensive small watches seiko 5 has a ton of 37mm that can be had for less than 150 .

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
So, what timepieces do you guys like from this year's Baselworld ?
It certainly felt like a transitional Baselworld (and the less said about Rolex and Tudor's offerings the better), but there were some nice releases. Three that stood out for me were:

The Zenith Defy Inventor (the watch of the show on a technical level):

95_9001_9100_78_r584_pr1_by_edmonddantes9285-dd2vsay.jpg

Patek Philippe Calatrava Weekly Calendar
:

pp_5212a_001_press_by_edmonddantes9285-dd2vshb.jpg

Clean Ocean Limited Edition:

oris_dial_by_edmonddantes9285-dd2vskk.jpg

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what's the haps chaps
IMG-20190325-161245.jpg

The polish on this is insane, look at how reflective it is off everything.
It feels great to wear though, beefy and solid.

Last edited:

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017

I think if your wrists are relatively small (e.g. 6-6.5"), then I would highly recommend Nomos. They're my favorite watchmakers with some smaller case diameters such as the Campus Club models, Orion models, etc. The big measurement you want to pay attention to is the "lug to lug" distance (from one end of the watch case to the other side, basically where the straps are connected to each end of the case). I would try to keep it under 49mm. My wrist size is 6.5" and I try to keep every lug to lug for sport watches (steel watches) under 49mm lug to lug. For dress watches, I try to keep it under 47mm lug to lug. I don't like oversized watches so that's what I prefer as I collect more watches.

Just try going to an authorized dealer at a mall or some watch sellers at department stores to try some watches on. It's a fun time.

@ Boosterduck - Looking sharp. I haven't seen the newer models in person yet. Is it comfortable?

Spuck-

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
KSAY6Ae.jpg

The only watch you'll ever need.

-Keeps better time than any mechanical watch ever will.
-Design classic
-Affordable for literally anyone

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
KSAY6Ae.jpg

-Design classic
Can't disagree with any of your points really, but horology is far more than just good timekeeping and simple aesthetics. To many it's an art form, just like cars are to others.

Oct 27, 2017
There's just something so great about the feeling of a watch being a part of you. Winders aside it needs you to keep on ticking and you to keep it alive. I love my sinn ux hydro since it's very aesthetically appealing, but being that it's a quartz I can sometimes feel that disconnect.

Plus the ticking of my nomos metro and zodiac seawolf might be my favorite sound(s) in the world.

(I also own a f-91w that I sometimes wear to theme parks)

Side note: even though many were disappointed by the showing, my favorite of baselworld was the rolex Batman with the jubilee braclet. Runner up. The zodiac gmt re-releases were nice too

hockeypuck

Oct 29, 2017
KSAY6Ae.jpg

-Design classic
We know. We're in the hobby for its (predominantly) male-oriented jewelry. I too have the F-91W as part of my collection. I wore it for six years straight, before I started collecting.

Oct 27, 2017
Is the Timex Weekender as insanely loud as people online say? I really like the look but I'm worried about its reputation that you can hear the ticking across the room.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My next watch purchase is gonna be a Sinn 104 St Sa W (the white dial version). It looks sexy af but nowhere to be found in Vancouver so I'd have to take a gamble in buying it online

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Helgray Le Mans in Rose Gold with a leather tan NATO strap. Was experimenting with my S10 camera while at a stop light.

P1PsTuX.jpg

Hesemonni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
attachmenty6j46.jpg

Seiko Arnie re-issue <3

Too bad it seems they made it ridiculously big (apparently ~48mm) and it's covered it oversized pushers. But damn, if it wouldn't be cool to wear a similar watch Arnold wore in Predator and Commando :P

hockeypuck

Oct 29, 2017
WIS people, lend me your expertise.

I am interested in getting a mechanical GMT/world timer watch. It was annoying to constantly go through the phone sub menus just to know the time back home and a GMT complication is one I'll actually use. Here are my preferences:

1. Diameter has to be 40 mm or less. Even better if 39 or 38.
2. In-house caliber. I have enough ETA watches.

3. Prefer a date complication included, but not a strict requirement like the above two.

I have come up with 3 choices in my cursory search, and was wondering if other people can recommend other choices—

1. Rolex GMT Master II. Great watch of course, just too bad it's not easily available unless I pay 2X retail. Argh. The main reason why I'm put off from Rolex in general.

2. Nomos Zurich. No date complication, but otherwise works for me.

3. One of the Grand Seiko SBJM or SBGJ models.

I really like designs like the Glashutte Original Senator or Rolex Skydweller, but I'm sticking to my case diameter restriction.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
2. Nomos Zurich. No date complication, but otherwise works for me.
In what sense is the subdial on the Zurich not a date complication?

I haven't worn any of your suggestions, unfortunately. I do have a GS SBGA211 and that unsurprisingly makes me partial to the SBGN005, which looks like it also fits your constraints (39mm). Otherwise the Zurich looks pretty damn stunning.

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017
What are everyone's thoughts on the grey market, specifically Amazon? I am pretty set on picking up the Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical, and I can get it for around $370 from an Amazon seller. The seller gets good ratings, over 97% satisfaction with several thousand ratings, and it is significantly cheaper than going through an AD. Has anyone bought from Amazon, and if so how was your experience?

hockeypuck

Oct 29, 2017
What are everyone's thoughts on the grey market, specifically Amazon? I am pretty set on picking up the Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical, and I can get it for around $370 from an Amazon seller. The seller gets good ratings, over 97% satisfaction with several thousand ratings, and it is significantly cheaper than going through an AD. Has anyone bought from Amazon, and if so how was your experience?
If the watch is one I care about servicing, I'll get it through an AD. Everything else, gray market is fair game.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Are you talking about the 3 o'clock subdial? I'm pretty sure that's the 24h GMT for home time. Even has a home icon next to it.
Ah, yes, you're right, I was looking at the detail pics which didn't show it ending at 24.

SBGN, while also a stunner, is a quartz model.
Spring Drive, yes. Hell yes.
Quartz, ummm, backburner for now.

Yeah, I had a few of the GS up and it's a pity that one is quartz. I actually don't quite understand the appeal of quartz at all; even the Spring Drive is sort of overly fussy for me but it makes up for it with the continuous sweep second hand (via the braking mechanism).