• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think this year I'm gonna pick up a Monta Skyquest this year. Steel/blue dial or Black/Gilt.

Oct 30, 2017
2020 watch will most likely be my one and only watch luxury watch:

-sbgw231
-sbgw047
-skyfall AT

I'm leaning towards sbgw047 and AT. AT would be versatile as both dress and casual, and I know it's a nicely finished.....but something about the finishing on the hands look not so great. But the AT just sings to me more, even though the sbgw047 is better finished.

Oct 27, 2017
God there isn't a watch I want more than the Speedmaster Apollo 50th anniversary edition. But I'm just not able to justify the price. One day maybe. Alternatively was looking at the Speedmaster Racing, white dial.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
2020 watch will most likely be my one and only watch luxury watch:

-sbgw231
-sbgw047
-skyfall AT

I'm leaning towards sbgw047 and AT. AT would be versatile as both dress and casual, and I know it's a nicely finished.....but something about the finishing on the hands look not so great. But the AT just sings to me more, even though the sbgw047 is better finished.
I'd go Skyfall AT. I have the later 8500 AT and it's a superb all rounder.

A beautiful watch in photos, even better in real life.

Karamsoul

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone here own a Farer Lander II? Really thinking about jumping on it. I have a Junghans Max Bill chronoscope which is beautiful, but a bit formal. The Lander II seems like a more everyday travel/business watch, plus the dial color(s) are a big conversation piece from what I've heard.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah what I'm thinking. I'm sure in sunlight it just dances on dial. I'd really like a Rolex Oyster Perpetual, but a little out of my price point.
The dial certainly comes to life in different lighting conditions.

20200116_122017_by_edmonddantes9285_ddogtn2-pre.jpg

Edit: Hmmm, just realised, my date is set wrong.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Saw a green dial omega aqua terra in a store today. Probably the nicest dial i've seen in a while.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
Green dial always look worse in pictures online than they do in person, same goes for Omega textured dials. Im sure that AT is nice in person - but holy shit wow ATs are expensive. Omega is so pricey now - I should hurry up and buy a used Speedmaster Pro and Planet Ocean while I still can and then forget about watches forever lol

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Green dial always look worse in pictures online than they do in person, same goes for Omega textured dials. Im sure that AT is nice in person - but holy shit wow ATs are expensive now. Omega is so pricey now - I should hurry up and buy a used Speedmaster Pro and Planet Ocean while I still can and then forget about watches forever lol
Even worse for Rolex sports models now. They're like gold dust with waiting lists in the years and grey market prices spiralling. Unless you're a regular buyer at an authorised dealer or someone with clout, getting even a no date Submariner is next to impossible. Rolex truly are masters of veblen goods.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
Even worse for Rolex sports models now. They're like gold dust with waiting lists in the years and grey market prices spiralling. Unless you're a regular buyer at an authorised dealer or someone with clout, getting even a no date Submariner is next to impossible. Rolex truly are masters of veblen goods.

Luckily there's about 5 zillion Rolex subs floating around on the secondary market, absolutely zero reason to sit on a waiting list for a new one.

Omega doesn't have any waiting lists as far as i know, just high prices. 10 years ago, you could get your regular basic Seamaster for 2800. now? 5200. The most basic coaxial dive watch in the lineup is 5200 friggin bucks. I started out my watch obsession with Omegas, but I won't buy one new because of this shit. They literally woke up on morning after the financial crisis, decided they wanted to be rolex, and then jacked the price up on everything by a grand. And that wasn't their only price increase....they've since had 2 smaller increases I think.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Few watch updates since the last time I posted here:

For my birthday my wife got me the Hamilton Pilot Day Date because I love Interstellar

H64615135_8.png

Really love the way the numerals have a ridged texture to them, can look quite nice when against the light at different angles.

I went to Japan in December and wanted to get a Seiko or Casio. Ended up buying the full metal G Shock to celebrate a promotion at work:

Satellite

This thing is so silly, but I genuinely love it.

And finally, I ended up buying the iconic SARB035 just a few weeks ago because a lot showed up on Amazon for $320. I was actually looking for a SARB in Japan but couldn't find one there ironically. Couldn't resist and it's been on my wrist ever since.

Think I'm done for a while with regards to my collection... I'll probably start saving for an Omega Seamaster or Grand Seiko Snowflake for my 30th birthday in 2 years.

Karamsoul

Oct 27, 2017
The billionaire watch thread got me going, so posting some details here. Finally got a couple of my grail watches last month. The Junghans Max Bill white chronoscope (a spectacular piece and good conversation starter). I upgraded to it from my Max Bill quartz since the quartz was way too small for me (38 mm). The Farer Lander II is another one I have with the stunning sunburst blue/green dial and multicolored lume.

Also have the Spinnaker Bradner which is another attractive timepiece and I preordered the unconventional Spinnaker Piccard. A few other memorable Seikos, including a Couture and Seiko Bottlecap. Next in line will be the Seiko Alpinist and another unconventional watch from Gorilla.

Farer Lander 2:
Farer-Lander-4.jpg

Junghans Max Bill Chronoscope:
61dR8-bh4%2BL._AC_UX522_.jpg

Spinnaker Bradner 2:
SP-5062-05-MS01_1024x1024.jpg

Spinnaker Piccard:
7zgevGD.png

Seiko Brown Bottlecap (my beater along with my 2 Timex Weekenders and Casio G-Shock "The Division 2" edition)

615Ge3x8PbL._AC_UX522_.jpg

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Got myself my grail watch for Christmas, the two-tone "Bluesy" Submariner. My buddy had an in with an AD, so I snapped it up when they called. I love it, and have been wearing it daily since. It's a brilliant, rich blue that's especially stunning when it catches the light. Of course, the mirror polished gold attracts scratches like crazy, but watches are meant to be worn and I'm trying not to sweat it.

Karamsoul

Oct 27, 2017
Got myself my grail watch for Christmas, the two-tone "Bluesy" Submariner. My buddy had an in with an AD, so I snapped it up when they called. I love it, and have been wearing it daily since. It's a brilliant, rich blue that's especially stunning when it catches the light. Of course, the mirror polished gold attracts scratches like crazy, but watches are meant to be worn and I'm trying not to sweat it.

That is a stunning watch. Congrats.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
That's a lovely acquisition. Wear it in good health.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Any recs on a budget field watch? Hamilton Khaki's unfortunately go for $800-900+ here. Looking to spend max 400 AUD, the SNK809 or the SNZG15 look the goods ($200 AUD ea) but I don't really want to buy another Seiko. I've got an Alpinist I could buy a strap for and dress down but I want something that I can take on holiday and not worry too much about.

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have a recommendation for a polish product/technique for buffing out light everyday wear and tear scratches for a stainless steel watch? My Alpinist is still in good shape but has plenty of little daily use scratches. Not a huge deal but if I can do a yearly polish I think I would like to.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Does anyone have a recommendation for a polish product/technique for buffing out light everyday wear and tear scratches for a stainless steel watch? My Alpinist is still in good shape but has plenty of little daily use scratches. Not a huge deal but if I can do a yearly polish I think I would like to.

What's the finish? If it's brushed steel, like what you get on the clasp/bracelet of a Speedmaster, you can do it with a very light coarse material like a scourer, like the scotch-brite you might use on pots & pans in the kitchen. This is generally good for larger pieces like a deployment clasp if it's brushed steel - I wouldn't use it on the lugs or case, as it's a bit of a sledgehammer where a chisel is needed. When you do this, make sure to rub only in one direction, the same direction as the existing finish, and neatly - because this will basically even out scratches by doing more scratches that match the brushed effect. So rubbing indiscriminately will look awful, but doing neat brushes in one direction will bring it out looking like the day you bought it.

Similar for brushed steel you can use stuff like fiberglass scratch removal pens (like these: http://www.mywatchmaker.net/1bscratchremovalpen.htm), that has the same effect, and you can get those more fine.

If it's polished steel, you'll want to use something like Cape Cod metal polishing cloths. With this stuff you always want to be very careful, mind, as there is a chemical component to it, so I'd check watch forums and find some use cases with your specific model/watch in order to make sure it's not going to have a nasty reaction.

If you have a bracelet with a mixture of the polished and brushed steel (like, say, the Seamaster bracelet), you have no choice but to use both methods, masking one with tape or something while you do the other. Which takes ages, but it can be worth it if it bothers you. I'd say it might be worth learning to love the day-to-day knocks and injuries, though -- I used to fuss over them but honestly now I've come around to the thinking that such marks can give a watch character, at least if it's your day-to-day and not a super dressy one.

Last edited:

Soi-Fong

Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
I got one of my minor grails - Tudor Black Bay 58

When I saw these, I always wanted one, but they were really hard to find. Certain Tudor pieces are hard to find similar to SS Rolex models. The BB58 is one of them and really happy I was able to get one.

PlJqD2o.jpg

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
I got one of my minor grails - Tudor Black Bay 58

When I saw these, I always wanted one, but they were really hard to find. Certain Tudor pieces are hard to find similar to SS Rolex models. The BB58 is one of them and really happy I was able to get one.

PlJqD2o.jpg
Congrats on the purchase! It suits you well.

Oct 27, 2017
Here's an interesting question. How many of your watches have you kept the original strap on? I bet this question has more to do with the cost of the watch, the higher the more likely the strap is higher quality.

Out of my collection the ones that I've kept are my Junkers 6060-5, the Orient Mako II, and the Seiko SARB035. The latter two being steel bracelets (though I have put the SARB035 on others from time to time).

The Mako II is always on the original bracelet and the Junkers has stuck on it's leather since I got it.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Here's an interesting question. How many of your watches have you kept the original strap on? I bet this question has more to do with the cost of the watch, the higher the more likely the strap is higher quality.

Out of my collection the ones that I've kept are my Junkers 6060-5, the Orient Mako II, and the Seiko SARB035. The latter two being steel bracelets (though I have put the SARB035 on others from time to time).

The Mako II is always on the original bracelet and the Junkers has stuck on it's leather since I got it.
This doesn't really count, but the pilot straps Stowa use are really nice. It doesn't count because I own the strap but not the watch.

OP
OP
Galacticsushiman
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal

My collection is mainly vintage, but just for fun:

- APRO - original bracelet
- Rolex GMT - Changed the Oyster to a Jubilee
- Rolex DJ - Original Jubilee bracelet
- Nivada chrono - Custom strap made for the watch
- Zodiac Seawold - original bracelet
- Seiko Cocktail Time - Custom strap in blue ostrich
- Seiko SilverWave - Original bracelet
- Citizen Parawater - Original bracelet changed to a recent caterpillar bracelet
- Vintage ARLA - Custom strap made for the watch

;)

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States

Most of my watches aren't all that expensive (under $500) but I've only kept two on their original straps. My Bulova Lunar and a Tissot. Just about everything else is on a nato or leather strap.