• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Barls

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I just have one original strap.
Titanium Seiko quartz watch with a weird, non-standard bracelet connector.

Otherwise:
Seiko Turtle - Strapcode Oyster - I have a seatbelt nato, a leather band and the original black rubber, but the Strapcode is such a pain to put on that I never change it out anymore.
Seiko SNK - Orange Nato
Orient Bambino - Leather strap slightly less cheap than the garbage stock leather strap
Casio f91w - Green Nato
I've got a couple weekenders with probably a dozen timex straps and a few FFF leather straps I swap in and out.
Timex Fairfield with FFF leather strap.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Wtf. I watch that guy on his every upload for a couple of months now.

Now his channel doesn't have any videos. Or probably hidden.
Disappointing for sure. The evidence is damning though. He is an outright scammer who built up goodwill via his YouTube channel and proceeded to fuck many people over.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
I don't think I'd ever buy a watch over $500 off of an online individual/ebay/etc., but I'm also not familiar with those communities outlined above as a result, and couldn't accurately judge the risk either way. Gives me confirmation bias on my decision, though!

softtack

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can understand the desperation of chasing a time piece that is no longer on the market. Use your head, though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Galacticsushiman
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I don't think I'd ever buy a watch over $500 off of an online individual/ebay/etc., but I'm also not familiar with those communities outlined above as a result, and couldn't accurately judge the risk either way. Gives me confirmation bias on my decision, though!

It's a personnal choice! On my side, I do the opposite, everything that's 'expensive' I buy online to save money :D

Sold and bought many $15k+ pieces without any problem to date, but I do my homework before pulling the trigger :)

In the case of the Horology House, it would have been hard to know though, so your stance makes a lot of sense :D

Oct 27, 2017
well... speaking of selling online, what's the best way to go sell a vintage zodiac watch?
I've decided to resell my 1960s zodiac aerospace gmt that I bought from hodinkee. I haven't been wearing it as much as I should have because I'm scared of dinging it up.
shop.hodinkee.com

1960s Zodiac Aerospace GMT

Why This Watch Matters Zodiac made some outstanding tool watches back in the 1950s and '60s. This is a rare Zodiac GMT that features a very unusual color scheme and is in unpolished, original condition with its rare original bracelet. The Full Story The Zodiac Sea Wolf was, along with the Rolex...

and I'm going to likely use the funds to buy a black bay... technically I'd want the GMT but I'm just going to try and sell the aerospace what I paid for it.

I've done some major buying/selling on ebay for arcade PCBs/watches, but the place still scares the crap out of me. I also don't have enough posts on WUS to use their sales forums. any recommendations would be appreciated!

OP
OP
Galacticsushiman
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
well... speaking of selling online, what's the best way to go sell a vintage zodiac watch?
I've decided to resell my 1960s zodiac aerospace gmt that I bought from hodinkee. I haven't been wearing it as much as I should have because I'm scared of dinging it up.
shop.hodinkee.com

1960s Zodiac Aerospace GMT

Why This Watch Matters Zodiac made some outstanding tool watches back in the 1950s and '60s. This is a rare Zodiac GMT that features a very unusual color scheme and is in unpolished, original condition with its rare original bracelet. The Full Story The Zodiac Sea Wolf was, along with the Rolex...

and I'm going to likely use the funds to buy a black bay... technically I'd want the GMT but I'm just going to try and sell the aerospace what I paid for it.

I've done some major buying/selling on ebay for arcade PCBs/watches, but the place still scares the crap out of me. I also don't have enough posts on WUS to use their sales forums. any recommendations would be appreciated!

If you do not want to use EBAY nor forums, it will be hard to reach a potential buyer. Maybe you can ask someone you trust to sell it for you?

Oct 27, 2017
If you do not want to use EBAY nor forums, it will be hard to reach a potential buyer. Maybe you can ask someone you trust to sell it for you?
oh no, I can definitely use forums, it's just that WUS requires 100 post count to list seller threads, which I do not have.
I see there's sites like chrono24 and crown and buckle and wasn't sure if there's a reputable source that people like to use for vintage watch selling. If I need to use ebay, I'll use ebay, I'm just always scared of getting scammed and was hoping there were more options than ebay/wus that people have used.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Reddit watch exchange too.
That being said, don't be surprised if you don't get anywhere near what you paid for that watch. That's quite the Hodinkee markup as other examples of the vintage Aerospace GMTs sell for less than half that.

Oct 27, 2017
Reddit watch exchange too.
That being said, don't be surprised if you don't get anywhere near what you paid for that watch. That's quite the Hodinkee markup as other examples of the vintage Aerospace GMTs sell for less than half that.
Thank you!
Have any good examples of what they go for on original bracelet? I have trouble finding good examples.

I'd imagine zodiac doing a reissue of the exact model last year at least helps

Last edited:

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
First time in this thread but i'm psyching myself up to possibly pick up a mid 60s Seamaster in the next few weeks so I thought i'd pop my head in here. I've wanted a black dial Seamaster for about 10 years or so now and figured it's probably time to jump in whilst I have the spare cash burning a whole in my pocket. The funny thing is i'm not even a massive watch guy but I unfortunately have expensive tastes when it comes to most things.

I mean, look at 'em!

s-l1600.jpg

I just hope it doesn't look daft on my skinny wrist.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
those old vintage Omegas are all small (i have an old gold Constellation myself) so it will be right at home on a skinny wrist

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, they should be 35mm or smaller. Far cry from today where 38mm is the minimum for a lot of manufacturers and many casual models are even bigger.

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, should have specified, looking for two piece leather. I got a Hirsch last year:

www.watchobsession.co.uk

Burgundy Leather Watch Strap | Hirsch | Watch Obsession UK

Find a timeless burgundy leather watch strap from Hirsch here, free delivery + returns. Smooth & refined strap for all.

But it's not held up well so I'm wanting to replace it. Looking for something similar in color but more rustic. It pairs well with my SARB017 Alpinist.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
www.colareb.it

Roma

Roma is the Leather Watch Strap designed and produced in Italy. It has the most iconic vintage effect for your watch and your wrist. Enjoy!
I have this one in blue and like it quite a bit. Except I put this other strap on with apple watch style tabbed spring bars and can't get it off now so I can't put my colareb strap back on

Oct 27, 2017
www.colareb.it

Roma

Roma is the Leather Watch Strap designed and produced in Italy. It has the most iconic vintage effect for your watch and your wrist. Enjoy!
I have this one in blue and like it quite a bit. Except I put this other strap on with apple watch style tabbed spring bars and can't get it off now so I can't put my colareb strap back on
Thanks!! Looks really nice. I'll at it to my list to consider.

Oct 27, 2017
in my search for a strap i find myself looking at these watches from Boldr. The Venture Sand Storm looks really nice...

www.boldrsupply.co

Venture Sand Storm

White outdoor adventure watch with Japanese NH35A automatic movement, 38mm full titanium case, 200m (660ft) / 20ATM water resistance, screw-down crown, Japan Superlume, flat sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating, tough nylon strap with custom titanium buckles. Case thickness: 12mm, lug...

Oct 30, 2017
Went to the watch store to look at Aqua Terra and GS in person. AT didn't disappoint, but DAMN the the winter GS spring drive I want badly and the blue four season dial. At $6300 out of my budget. AT blue skyfall I'll be content and love.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
The Nomos Metro is such a sexy watch. I guess that'd be my "grail" watch.

I still really want an Orient Sun and Moon but just feel like I need to come to accept that its too big of a watch and too thick.

hockeypuck

Oct 29, 2017
The Nomos Metro is such a sexy watch. I guess that'd be my "grail" watch.
Strongly recommend trying on a Nomos Metro a couple times before taking the plunge, should the opportunity arrive. I've been very lucky in loving every watch I've purchased sight unseen, but the Metro did give me a negative first impression when I strapped it on the wrist.

1. On the automatic version, the rotor is louder than what I expected from a watch retailing for almost $4K. I presume this is due to the thin case. It makes the watch sound like it's made from cheap Swatch plastic parts, i.e., rattling sounds.

2. The hands are flat, not faceted. This makes the hands blend into the dial background more easily, IMO. It's actually easier to tell the time on this watch by looking at the face from an angle. In comparison, a traditional Speedmaster also has flat hands, but those hands also have high contrast white lume, which improves readability against a black dial. Even with a novella of text at 12 o'clock and three subdials, it is easier to read the time head-on on a Speedie than on a minimalist bauhaus midnight blue Nomos Metro.

3. I don't find their straps all that appealing. I actually prefer whatever vendor Stowa uses. And Stowa includes a deployant clasp.

4. Not a first impression, but the quick change spring bar has failed on me and I would've lost the watch if I weren't wearing a bomber style jacket with elastic cuffs. AD had to replace it.

5. The hour and minute hands look way too similar, in both size and shape.

Great modern dress watch, though, and the overall design is pretty unique among the watches I own. Although this post focuses on the negatives, it's also a testament that determining whether to keep a watch can take more than a few days.

Last edited:

samyy

Oct 25, 2017
So I wasn't really that into watches but earlier this week my dad gave me his Tissot PR100 chronograph and I really fell in love with wearing a watch. I started looking around online and I never realized what a huge community there was for watches, and how many cool looking watches there are. After a few days of watching YouTube videos and reading through this thread/Reddit I'm already looking to pick up a Seiko SNK809 and an Orient Bambino v2...I think I've definitely got the itch for this now. Rip my wallet.

Also, for any Toronto folks in here where do you guys shop for watches?

Last edited:

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
So I wasn't really that into watches but earlier this week my dad gave me his Tissot PR100 chronograph and I really fell in love with wearing a watch. I started looking around online and I never realized what a huge community there was for watches, and how many cool looking watches there are. After a few days of watching YouTube videos and reading through this thread/Reddit I'm already looking to pick up a Seiko SNK809 and an Orient Bambino v2...I think I've definitely got the itch for this now. Rip my wallet.

Welcome to the addiction! That Seiko and Orient are solid choices. Have fun!

Oct 28, 2017
Strongly recommend trying on a Nomos Metro a couple times before taking the plunge, should the opportunity arrive. I've been very lucky in loving every watch I've purchased sight unseen, but the Metro did give me a negative first impression when I strapped it on the wrist.

1. On the automatic version, the rotor is louder than what I expected from a watch retailing for almost $4K. I presume this is due to the thin case. It makes the watch sound like it's made from cheap Swatch plastic parts, i.e., rattling sounds.
Just adding to this:

The rotor on my Zurich Worldtimer rattles. I wonder if its related to their method of bi-directional winding. Accuracy is pretty awful on it too, runs around 5-10 seconds per day too slow even after multiple trips to Glashutte.

The main problem I have with Nomos is that you can't see where the money is being spent. The Glashutte stripes on the Epsilon movement doesn't do anything for me, the finishing is honestly pretty rudimentary in the same way a lot of Grand Seiko movements are finished. Its kind of nice but that level of finishing definitely isn't adding $3000 to a Nomos watch's pricetag...in the case of the Grand Seiko, you can see the effort put in the case/hands/applied indices/dial instead.

Last edited:

karim

Oct 27, 2017

Fellow Torontonian here. Welcome to the club and good luck going through the watch rabbit hole.

I usually buy all my watches online. All retail outlets here are usually more expensive. For Seiko, look up Katsu Higuchi, he is the best to buy from for all Japanese watches. For everything else, Jomashop is usually one of the best options. For vintage or used, check Watchrecon and Yahoo Japan auctions.

samyy

Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to the addiction! That Seiko and Orient are solid choices. Have fun!

Thanks!

Fellow Torontonian here. Welcome to the club and good luck going through the watch rabbit hole.

I usually buy all my watches online. All retail outlets here are usually more expensive. For Seiko, look up Katsu Higuchi, he is the best to buy from for all Japanese watches. For everything else, Jomashop is usually one of the best options. For vintage or used, check Watchrecon and Yahoo Japan auctions.

Hey! Thanks for the recommendations, yea I noticed that retail seems much pricier as well - ill have to check those sites out. Been making do with Amazon for now.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017

Welcome to the world of horology.

Here's a recommendation for anyone new to watches.

www.youtube.com

WatchBox Reviews

Welcome to the new home of WatchBox's watch reviews by Tim Mosso. WatchBox is the global leader in pre-owned luxury watches. From our offices in Bala Cynwyd,...

Tim Mosso is one of the most passionate and knowledgable watch enthusiasts you'll find.

samyy

Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to the world of horology.

Here's a recommendation for anyone new to watches.

www.youtube.com

WatchBox Reviews

Welcome to the new home of WatchBox's watch reviews by Tim Mosso. WatchBox is the global leader in pre-owned luxury watches. From our offices in Bala Cynwyd,...

Tim Mosso is one of the most passionate and knowledgable watch enthusiasts you'll find.

Thanks for the recommendation! Those watches hes reviewing look so nice o_o.Wish I wasn't currently saving for a condo lol.

samyy

Oct 25, 2017
Based in Montreal, do not hesitate to reach out if you come to our beautiful province, I can introduce you to a few dealers :) Oh, and good luck on the condo :P

haha thanks, the Toronto condo market is not kind....

I think I've fallen in love with the Junghans Max Bill, think this will be the first big watch I buy - time to start saving x).

Oct 30, 2017
Man besides watchrecon, it's hard finding a reputable site that has the 38.5mm blue Aqua Terra 8500. I dunno the new models I don't like horizontal lines.

softtack

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find it hard to invest in micro brands when they're competing with historic brands such as Hamilton, Oris, Junghans etc. I'd rather spend my kudos on the latter.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
I'm very tempted by that new Bond edition Omega Seamaster, purely because it's back to 42mm (all of the most recent models have been 43.5mm) and I absolutely love the colour. I'm a bit of an Omega fanboy and already have a Seamaster 300 (2014 model though, so a different style), an Aqua Terra, a Planet Ocean and a Speedmaster. So it feels insane to be looking at this. But also, man, it's Titanium, and it'd be so light...

...but at the same time, I really am not the biggest fan of having the Bond-specific iconography on the watch, even if it is obtuse. I'm really hoping they issue the exact design in a non-Bond variation. At least it's not a limited edition this time, which gives me more hope...

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
We were speaking about watches earlier on discord and my eyes wondered a bit and i found something i like that was limited to 100 each (2 colors) total of 200

Luckily someone back out on their reservation and i manage to quickly reserve the watch and once Its sent on my cali home ... Ill post what it is