• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Today I decided to sit down and spend 15 minutes just writing, starting to get the hang of just sitting down and starting rather than stressing out how to start writing. Strangely I don't have this problem on paper.

I also came up with two potential new ideas for a novel.

My laptop died Christmas Day. Thankfully I have my projects backed up on OneDrive and since I handwrite before typing I didn't lose any work.

Does anyone use a Chromebook for writing? How is it? And if you do, do you use Microsoft Word or Google Docs to do so?

I can budget a Chromebook to tide me over until I can save for a new computer (tbh I've wanted a desktop for awhile, guess I'm forced into getting it now hahaha)

I learnt the hard way of not backing up your data I lost so many potential novel ideas, including a mini story that I had on a floppy disk...never give me floppy disk as I always end up destroying them.

Luckily most of them eventually came back to me in time as I began to remember them.

Last edited:

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
never give me floppy disk as I always end up destroying them.
3815.jpg

Huh.

Oct 25, 2017
After doing short story submissions for so long, I have a bit of a sixth sense when I get rejection letters and I can feel I'm about to get a response soon. Which is making me restless so as a result of restlessness I've been editing again which is good. I have like three projects I wanted done awhile ago so I should probs put some work into those

Dec 14, 2017
After doing short story submissions for so long, I have a bit of a sixth sense when I get rejection letters and I can feel I'm about to get a response soon. Which is making me restless so as a result of restlessness I've been editing again which is good. I have like three projects I wanted done awhile ago so I should probs put some work into those
Do you plan to continue in the short story form for it's own sake, or are you using it to build enough publishing credit to get a contract for a novel?

Oct 25, 2017
Do you plan to continue in the short story form for it's own sake, or are you using it to build enough publishing credit to get a contract for a novel?

That's a good question. Originally it was to help me practice and then build up skill for novels, but I honestly enjoy short stories so much more than writing novels (though i do want to give that a good try this year) and my current big issue with novels is I'm just bad at commitment. Right now, I'm just trying to get paid for my short stories since I write so many of them. That's really the only big goal I have right now.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
I may be about to try my hand at writing a play. There's this local theater troupe that accepts short play submissions (like around 30 min or so), and they're doing a workshop to let prospective playwrights know what their requirements are.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
That's a good question. Originally it was to help me practice and then build up skill for novels, but I honestly enjoy short stories so much more than writing novels (though i do want to give that a good try this year) and my current big issue with novels is I'm just bad at commitment. Right now, I'm just trying to get paid for my short stories since I write so many of them. That's really the only big goal I have right now.

Short stories are definitely a great way to build up your writing acumen. Unfortunately for me, I've gotten so used to writing at the scale of novels that my short stories aren't all that short anymore. It's a real struggle for me to get anything in under 7000 words and still have a beginning, middle and end.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Short stories are definitely a great way to build up your writing acumen. Unfortunately for me, I've gotten so used to writing at the scale of novels that my short stories aren't all that short anymore. It's a real struggle for me to get anything in under 7000 words and still have a beginning, middle and end.
I wouldn't mind trying to do some short stories sometime, but I feel like if I ever want to finish my story, the only short story stuff I will get to do is short side stories in my main story.

I have one coming up where two side characters are going to fall in love, so that should be fun :P

Deleted member 4532

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind trying to do some short stories sometime, but I feel like if I ever want to finish my story, the only short story stuff I will get to do is short side stories in my main story.

I have one coming up where two side characters are going to fall in love, so that should be fun :P
This. The only short stories I do are just side stories to the main work.

I need to break that habit and write one offs though.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
This. The only short stories I do are just side stories to the main work.

I need to break that habit and write one offs though.
I am just not wired to write short one offs unless it's part of a bigger picture.
I take far to long to care about characters in general. it's why I rarely watch movies, and when I do I almost always avoid drama/serious movies because I don't care about any of the characters and just find it boring.

The shortest idea I have still would likely end up being a novella length. That would be the story for my little 3-4 hour comedy RPG :P

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
While I do prefer writing action novels, I think it's easier to do non-action ones, for me at least.

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, a little 2017 retrospective with all the short stories I wrote for the year along with some musings. I wrote 55 short stories and I had a little thing where I put in all the little thing of abandoned snippets that didn't end up being stories. That said, still, a couple there that are abandoned, but not as many as I feared. Kind of impressed with my output this year!

BO2yfMu.png

R4ITUV8.png

My personal favorites for the year I'm going to push to try and get published in 2018 are Pauli Meets a Suicidal Man (the plot is self-explanatory) and What My Pa Left Me which won one of the CW challenges and had a pretty universally positive reception. Also my favorite ending that I've written this year (Pauli being second). I'm going to come back to Duel with a Hedge Mage cause I recently described it to a friend and they said it sounded more interesting than I gave it credit for (along with some other random stories but none standing out atm). My favorite titles (cause I love my pretentious titles) are The Exorcism of a Haunted House Beside a Seaside Cliff cause it captures the moody feel I wanted in the story even though it didn't come out very good and They Found Nalbiet in the Ashen Forest cause its a nice and ominous title. I'm going to come back to the story labeled I got published (title not final) cause I love the premise. It's about a student going to visit their old creative writing teacher and the visit ending in utter disappointment for a lot of reasons. I never finished it, but I still love the general theme.
I think my take away this year is I have really improved in quality and have kind of solidified a style for myself as opposed to a lot of my experimentations in 2016. Which may be good. May be bad. Who knows? I'll still try for some more oddball things in 2018 because I think those are always helpful to at least try. As Cyan said before he stopped the CW challenges, it's a good idea to get out of your comfort zone which I fear I may be falling a bit into. So 2018, gonna try and get out. Which means.... I've gotta try write a novel outside of Nano.... which is personally horrifying to me, but I should try regardless.

What's everyone else's 2017 been like?

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
As Cyan said before he stopped the CW challenges, it's a good idea to get out of your comfort zone which I fear I may be falling a bit into. So 2018, gonna try and get out. Which means.... I've gotta try write a novel outside of Nano.... which is personally horrifying to me, but I should try regardless.

It's easier to write a novel outside of NANO, as, when the month passes, you haven't failed if it's not finished yet.

I was very happy with my writing efforts in 2017, and hopefully that will continue in 2018. My action Cyberpunk/Shadowrun-ish novel got me an offer of representation with a literary agent, and now that novel is on submission with the big SFF publishers. Thanks to the dumpster fire that was 2017 for American politics and social progress, I got inspired to write a Weird Western that tackles a lot of issues of racism, and I'm now 70K into that. Once it's done, I'll have a few beta reads, get that edited and hope my agent will like it enough to try and find a home for that one as well.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, a little 2017 retrospective with all the short stories I wrote for the year along with some musings. I wrote 55 short stories and I had a little thing where I put in all the little thing of abandoned snippets that didn't end up being stories. That said, still, a couple there that are abandoned, but not as many as I feared. Kind of impressed with my output this year!

BO2yfMu.png

R4ITUV8.png

My personal favorites for the year I'm going to push to try and get published in 2018 are Pauli Meets a Suicidal Man (the plot is self-explanatory) and What My Pa Left Me which won one of the CW challenges and had a pretty universally positive reception. Also my favorite ending that I've written this year (Pauli being second). I'm going to come back to Duel with a Hedge Mage cause I recently described it to a friend and they said it sounded more interesting than I gave it credit for (along with some other random stories but none standing out atm). My favorite titles (cause I love my pretentious titles) are The Exorcism of a Haunted House Beside a Seaside Cliff cause it captures the moody feel I wanted in the story even though it didn't come out very good and They Found Nalbiet in the Ashen Forest cause its a nice and ominous title. I'm going to come back to the story labeled I got published (title not final) cause I love the premise. It's about a student going to visit their old creative writing teacher and the visit ending in utter disappointment for a lot of reasons. I never finished it, but I still love the general theme.
I think my take away this year is I have really improved in quality and have kind of solidified a style for myself as opposed to a lot of my experimentations in 2016. Which may be good. May be bad. Who knows? I'll still try for some more oddball things in 2018 because I think those are always helpful to at least try. As Cyan said before he stopped the CW challenges, it's a good idea to get out of your comfort zone which I fear I may be falling a bit into.
it took me that far to realize CW challenges were creative writing challenges and not some random challenges the CW channel were hosting in order to find new shows for their channel... I feel dumb.

anyways I hope you continue to progress next year and find more motivation to write in general.

as for me I am going into the new year with a couple nice streaks.
900 words a day since oct 1st.
50k words a month since oct.
and over 216k words written in my main story this year up from 170 k the year before. at this rate I really might finish my rough draft in 8 more years which would be nice lol.

My goals for 2018.
A. Continue writing every day.
B. go through and make a new draft of book 1 and then edit it.
C. get my wife to edit it again and perhaps try publishing it while I continue to write the main story overall and logging stuff about my story.
D. Meet my character named Kaltz from my original draft, as my original draft of my story ends shortly after I meet him, even though it's only about 30% through the total planned story lol.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
As Cyan said before he stopped the CW challenges, it's a good idea to get out of your comfort zone which I fear I may be falling a bit into. So 2018, gonna try and get out. Which means.... I've gotta try write a novel outside of Nano.... which is personally horrifying to me, but I should try regardless.

My actual writing's been kind of slow this year (didn't manage to finish my ongoing manuscript yet, still a solid 10-15k to go) but the year's gone pretty well otherwise:

Had my first novel (Lamplight) published by a local small press
Got in talks to do some video game writing with a small commercial company

Goals for next year: finish the current manuscript, get my second novel into print, nail the video game contract, get back to work on my 1920s spoiled-heiress ghost story (which I've been neglecting the last 6 months)

Oct 26, 2017
Happy New Year!

Not sure what the plan is for 2018 on the writing front yet. I will get the final Knight's Journal collection up on Amazon in a couple of weeks and get the paperback of that formatted. I had a reviewer on Goodreads who does a fair bit of marketing provide me some tips for trying to improve the sales figures, so I will probably take some time to fidget with things like keywords and perhaps re-do some of the artwork. I will get my author page updated and a new blog site up and try to throw something out there, though in my opinion blogging has done little in the past to really drive new sales. In short, do some of the business-y side of the writing that I've always despised doing.

As for writing fiction, I have to figure that out. While I have an idea of how to carry Aidan and the monk forward, I'm not going to jump in on it just yet. I also have a project with a friend from college that I had put aside, so I need to reach out to her and see if she's still interested in doing it.

Valdfellgar

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
While I do prefer writing action novels, I think it's easier to do non-action ones, for me at least.

I know what you mean. Sometimes it can be difficult to describe action without making it feel too drawn out, detailed, repetitive, beat by beat etc. Sometimes I nail it, and other times no matter how many rewrites it still feels stilted in the description.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Really want to write every day this year. even if it's just a word.

That's probably not going to happen, so as usual I just hope I write more. I actually did very well on that in the later half of last year and ended up writing more than I have in a long time. Gotta keep it going now~

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
2017 Retrospective:

This felt like a year treading water. On paper there were some definite good things. I have my first published short story (not counting the micropress book that sold ten copies and the tie-in for Beneath Nexus that no one ever actually read), I completed some major re-writes on The Sword, The Crown, and The Scroll, and most importantly, my wife and I successfully completed the first draft of the first book of our collaborative Longbow series.

All of this is good stuff, but I don't feel like I really wrote much in 2017. 1 short story for publication in June, 8 chapters or rewrites in August, and 15 chapters of new material for NaNoWriMo. I also did very little to advance myself towards my goal of publishing my first novel and did not enter the WotF competition at all despite getting an Honorable Mention two years in a row previously.

I hope that in 2018 I'll be able to get a little more focused, a little more inspired, and a lot less complacent and depressed and make some more real, tangible progress towards being able to call myself an author.

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
FlowersisBritish thanks for sharing your update. Sounds like you had a prolific year. Best of luck in sending your pieces out there - I'm always on Duotrope looking for new venues so let me know if you need any assistance.

UCBooties Congrats on having something in print in your hand! That's always so exciting. Also, I share your vibe in actually not writing too much in 2017. Your goals for 2018 mirror mine - get more focused, become less complacent and raise my game to a new level.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On Monday I tried to so some work on my novel but just wasn't feeling the flow of the chapter, so rather than stress on it I just decided to go to bed when lo and behold my brain started tinkering with plot and nudged me in direction that I should have gone.

Today I managed to someone turn 7 brief lines of sentence, and they were super brief, into a 700 words while at the same time making my character go through a character development while at the same time giving a small dosage of my character's backstory. I didn't originally plan for this to happen but just felt right.

I really enjoy writing this character and I hope that other people will love her too.

I just received my compensation copies of Sherlock Holmes: Adventures in the Realms of H.G. Wells and it is the first time I have held something in my hands that is professionally published and contains my work. It is a really cool feeling and I look forward to having it again :-D

Congrats! :D

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
On Monday I tried to so some work on my novel but just wasn't feeling the flow of the chapter, so rather than stress on it I just decided to go to bed when lo and behold my brain started tinkering with plot and nudged me in direction that I should have gone.

Today I managed to someone turn 7 brief lines of sentence, and they were super brief, into a 700 words while at the same time making my character go through a character development while at the same time giving a small dosage of my character's backstory. I didn't originally plan for this to happen but just felt right.

I really enjoy writing this character and I hope that other people will love her too.

Congrats! :D
Thanks!

Regarding your experience: sometimes you really do need to sleep on things.

Deleted member 4532

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love going to bed at night because that's when my best ideas flow. I make sure to jot it all in my phone and write it all down the next day on my computer.
I just received my compensation copies of Sherlock Holmes: Adventures in the Realms of H.G. Wells and it is the first time I have held something in my hands that is professionally published and contains my work. It is a really cool feeling and I look forward to having it again :-D
I can't wait for the day I'm able to do the same! Congrats!

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Currently just finished writing chapter 10 and it was quite interesting as while I did have a rough layout what I wanted in it, I didn't exactly stick to it one to one which is fine as the new direction is better and fleshes out my character. I also decided to cut it as it was getting a bit long and the first section could easily be its own chapter...so I inversely somehow finished both chapter 10 and 11.

Not complaining though as it just means that I can start chapter 12.

Regarding your experience: sometimes you really do need to sleep on things.

Yeah that's true, it's where the bulk of my ideas stem from including the novel that I am currently working on.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
A hot shower is also a really good bed for ideas, in my experience.
a Hot shower is my go to move when I feel like I am close to resolving an idea but it isn't quite working.
it's a magical place where things just fall in place.

I do most of my plotting/planning at work though, thinking about my story instead of caring about what is going on at work :P

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Here are the next 5 novels for Nano from me!

2018-Brave Wizards(Inspired by Harry Potter)

2019-All About Life(Realistic Drama Series)

2020-Copper's Resurrection(A remake, sequel and reboot)

2021-Brave Wizards 2 or The Legend of Majin(The latter being inspired by Lord of the Rings)

2022-Cooper's Crazy Adventures(Spinoff that seems to be it's own thing)

Yep, I got a lot of writing to do each year, lol. This is subject to change though. I would like to use create space to make books for me though.

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA

2021-Brave Wizards 2 or The Legend of Majin(The latter being inspired by Lord of the Rings)

Yep, I got a lot of writing to do each year, lol. This is subject to change though. I would like to use create space to make books for me though.
Wow, that's crazy that you can plan so far ahead.

I'm guessing its going something like this for me:

2018: Out of the Empire (three sisters book 2)

2019: Longbow book 2

2020: ? Maybe book one of my sci-fi series Calorine? Maybe Longbow book 3? Probably not the third Three Sisters book considering how long they take to rewrite and edit...

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

heh there is a decent chance my next 5 nanos will be...

2018- Exoplium season 1 part 2.
2019 - Exoplium season 2 part 1.
2020 - exoplium season 2 part 2.
2021 - exoplium season 3 part 1.
2022 - exoplium Final.

:P
meanwhile ideally I will finish the rough drafts for 3-4 books in my main series each year using the other months of the year lol.
but yeah since I had planned exoplium as a 3 season story (though would eventually become a web comic and ideally animated someday), and the first nano got me a bit short of the half way point of season one I figure that is a decent goal lol.

amusingly I am still not done with the main story book I was working on nano... well sort of not done... it's gotten to the point where clearly I will have to split this book in 2 thus I am technically working on the next book now but still lol.
Last I checked it was a little over 160k words at this point and I still have a bit left to finish the wrap up stuff lol.

I do hope your stuff goes well. Some day I will actually work on a story that isn't part of my main story in some way... maybe... who knows... even if I write 400k words a year for the next 5 years I am not sure I would finish my main story.... and then I have editing all of that, and trying to publish it lol.

Last edited:

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
I don't do Nano as I can't write quite that quickly with other responsibilities, but my novels-to-write plan is a bit more contingent on what does well:

2018 - Finish (nearly-done) cybergoth murder mystery, finish (barely-started) 1920s ghost story
2019 - Depending on whether my current series does well or the ghost story gets picked up, one of the following:
- Avengers-style crossover tying together all 4 of my existing weird fantasy novels into one big narrative
- Direct ghost story sequal starring the same protagonist going on mystery-solving adventures
- New grimdark necromancy fantasy series I've been planning for a while
And thereby into 2020...

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I don't do Nano as I can't write quite that quickly with other responsibilities, but my novels-to-write plan is a bit more contingent on what does well:

2018 - Finish (nearly-done) cybergoth murder mystery, finish (barely-started) 1920s ghost story
2019 - Depending on whether my current series does well or the ghost story gets picked up, one of the following:
- Avengers-style crossover tying together all 4 of my existing weird fantasy novels into one big narrative
- Direct ghost story sequal starring the same protagonist going on mystery-solving adventures
- New grimdark necromancy fantasy series I've been planning for a while
And thereby into 2020...
well I hope things go well for you. I have been aiming for 900 words a month for a while and been reaching it. so I have been making decent progress.

I'm a bit jealous of people who can work on multiple stories. but alas I am crazy and the size and scope of my main story is just so big I not only don't feel I have time to work on other things, but often get bored and want to go back to my main story.... I mean hell I can tell you more about the lives of my characters at this point than I can tell you about my own life lol.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
well I hope things go well for you. I have been aiming for 900 words a month for a while and been reaching it. so I have been making decent progress.

I'm a bit jealous of people who can work on multiple stories. but alas I am crazy and the size and scope of my main story is just so big I not only don't feel I have time to work on other things, but often get bored and want to go back to my main story.... I mean hell I can tell you more about the lives of my characters at this point than I can tell you about my own life lol.
To be fair I can't really work on multiple stories at once, but I sometimes take a break from a project to write something else for a bit - that's how my period ghost story got started. It's helpful if you're starting to feel burned-out on a story.

Dec 14, 2017
I switched from Scrivener to Dabble for the second novel in my series. It works out well because I can get online when it's slow at work and bang out a few hundred words. Last night, I about 535.

It was kind of weird writing a sex scene while surrounded by coworkers, though.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that's crazy that you can plan so far ahead.

I'm guessing its going something like this for me:

2018: Out of the Empire (three sisters book 2)

2019: Longbow book 2

2020: ? Maybe book one of my sci-fi series Calorine? Maybe Longbow book 3? Probably not the third Three Sisters book considering how long they take to rewrite and edit...
Normally I plan ahead, like I did 2017's Awesome Sam for Nano and yet I announced the novel back in 2015. Or Extreme Max, which was announced in 2013 and did it for Nano in 2016!

heh there is a decent chance my next 5 nanos will be...

2018- Exoplium season 1 part 2.
2019 - Exoplium season 2 part 1.
2020 - exoplium season 2 part 2.
2021 - exoplium season 3 part 1.
2022 - exoplium Final.

:P
meanwhile ideally I will finish the rough drafts for 3-4 books in my main series each year using the other months of the year lol.
but yeah since I had planned exoplium as a 3 season story (though would eventually become a web comic and ideally animated someday), and the first nano got me a bit short of the half way point of season one I figure that is a decent goal lol.

amusingly I am still not done with the main story book I was working on nano... well sort of not done... it's gotten to the point where clearly I will have to split this book in 2 thus I am technically working on the next book now but still lol.
Last I checked it was a little over 160k words at this point and I still have a bit left to finish the wrap up stuff lol.

I do hope your stuff goes well. Some day I will actually work on a story that isn't part of my main story in some way... maybe... who knows... even if I write 400k words a year for the next 5 years I am not sure I would finish my main story.... and then I have editing all of that, and trying to publish it lol.
Dude...you write a lot, lol.=p

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Normally I plan ahead, like I did 2017's Awesome Sam for Nano and yet I announced the novel back in 2015. Or Extreme Max, which was announced in 2013 and did it for Nano in 2016!

Dude...you write a lot, lol.=p
I just try for 900 words each day :P
so far so good this year
4BpJehC.png

B is the words that day D is the total words for the year :P

Oct 26, 2017
Are all of y'all creative writers cuz I need some help with writing a cover letter.
Throw it out here and we can collectively take a stab at it with you. We've helped with cover letters and query letters in here (and the other place) before.

My personal opinion (and this is less from experience and more from just trying to get in the head of the person who has to open countless of these every day) is dare to be different.

Oct 25, 2017
Mementos
Here's what I got, please hide text when replying. I don't want everybody to see it.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
I feel like I need to add more and I wanted to make up some school project experience, but despite being a creative writer I couldn't make up anything.