• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
I have a guest post today over at The Howling Turtle talking about my writing process, if any of you are interested?

Anyone else ever feel the need to shake up their formula's in some way?
I try to do this with pretty much every novel I write by changing up the subgenre and the POV - my first novel was a third-person multiple perspective ghost story, my second a first person alternating past-and-present tense sci-fi dystopia, my third a single-perspective third-person dark fantasy, and my fourth an alternating first-and-second person gothic cyberpunk murder mystery. I'm currently working on a YA book.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Finished up the first draft of Stormbreather. Clocking in at a bit over 116k words.

It's an absolute mess but hopefully fixable.

Editing begins in about a month and a half. I need a break from this thing. In the meantime, there's music to work on and that damned video game too.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
and my fourth an alternating first-and-second person gothic cyberpunk murder mystery. I'm currently working on a YA book.

Holy crap, that sounds frightening to me. I didn't think second person could really work all that well in a novel until I saw N.K Jemison pull it off in the Fifth Season. I think she broke SFF after that though, because it seems like a lot of people tried it afterwards and... did not succeed.

I don't think I'll ever have the confidence to try second person, just doesn't sit right on me.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
Holy crap, that sounds frightening to me. I didn't think second person could really work all that well in a novel until I saw N.K Jemison pull it off in the Fifth Season. I think she broke SFF after that though, because it seems like a lot of people tried it afterwards and... did not succeed.
I've got no confidence I succeeded to be fair! It's a bastard difficult perspective to write, and Jemisin does it really well.
Michael Faber's The Crimson Petal and The White is a good earlier example of it being done effectively, though in historical fiction rather than SFF.

Nice! That book description is on point btw. 7 years of refining though... that's dedication.
Cool, I'm reading it right now. It's pretty interesting.
Thanks, both of you!
I think a lot of people spend years and years planning their first book and there's a danger of overinvesting in it, but I'm hoping it turned out okay with this one.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Next year I'm going to aim to get my script in earlier, since I'm not sure it's even possible to get in if you enter as late as I did.
Great timing....Scriptnotes just released their newest episode today.

In light of the dust-up over Coverfly, John and Craig discuss why most screenwriting contests are essentially useless and should be avoided.

Can't wait to have all my passion and drive deflated for screenplays again. I genuinely don't know how else you get your name out there if you're stuck living in the middle of a corn field.

Oct 27, 2017
Great timing....Scriptnotes just released their newest episode today.

Can't wait to have all my passion and drive deflated for screenplays again. I genuinely don't know how else you get your name out there if you're stuck living in the middle of a corn field.
Yeah, I wish there was an obvious path like there is with publishing. Instead you get told contests are crapshoots, no one reads queries... It's disheartening.

With that said, I bet that episode is more about obscure or new contests rather than the big ones like Nicholl. Mazin and August have always been down on those type of contests.

Oct 25, 2017
Mementos
All of this recent superhero movies and shows makes me want to go back and write one of my own. I did, but I didn't like it. I want to do it over, but I still can't think of a name for my team.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
All of this recent superhero movies and shows makes me want to go back and write one of my own. I did, but I didn't like it. I want to do it over, but I still can't think of a name for my team.
Don't let that stop you. In one of my current WIPs my MC's name is Yeezus. During the first draft phase don't waste time trying to get names right :)

Just focus on the story.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Ill second this. I have a character whose name is John Johnson. Im sure ill control F and replace it later
I have a lot of those names i have to replace myself.
I have mostly fixed that issue though. I just have a list of names to use now, and have started to theme groups of people.
Have a bunch of scientists.... I go and look up famous scientists names and find some I like :P

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
Some people claim that the ending is the hardest part to write in a text. I, on the other hand, used to think that the first paragraph was even harder. Now I'm thinking that the fucking blurb is something next to the impossible.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Don't worry about names, just finish the first draft and you can work on names in the editing process.

For example I had a character in the book I am writing called Stan Bowen and for the longest time that was is name till recently when I swapped it for Matt Irving and gave his old name to a character that originally titled old man. Heck even my main character had her last name changed because I didn't originally like it and my other main character has a middle name that hasn't even been mentioned once in the book and probably won't be.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Some people claim that the ending is the hardest part to write in a text. I, on the other hand, used to think that the first paragraph was even harder. Now I'm thinking that the fucking blurb is something next to the impossible.
Oh fuck yeah is this true. God damn writing blurbs is like pulling teeth.

I think I need to redo my Toyland one since I'm like 50/50 rejections from agents on it. Sucks too, since I still like it.

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
On this name subject, some regions here in Brazil received tons of German immigrants hundreds of years ago, my little state being one of them. I happen to be friends with some of these families, and I decided to use the name of one of them on this novelette I'm about to post on Wattpad, and because of that, I probably won't have the courage to share this story on Facebook, lol.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
The hardest part is the dedication.
idk.
at this point i would argue it's connecting ideas for me. I'm still averaging a little over 1.2k words per day this year >.>
I keep planning things and then my characters do something that veers off and i have to fix that somehow lol.
going into the end of the book, I now have 3 extra characters and two extra story lines I wasn't planning at the start to deal with.
I have no clue how my mentally troubled lead character is going to deal with those new characters and trying to figure that out has slowed me down.

I was supposed to just leave to the next story arc after where I am at now, giving the character who has been mentally destroyed in this book time to recover some in the background without much focus on him... instead I have a story line to resolve that requires him >.<:

oh well, in general the harder it is to resolve a storyline, the more thought I give it, and most likely the stronger it is. This scene is setting up 3-4 arcs down the line so I need it now lol.

next arc is screwed up quite a bit as well. When I started planning the next arc at the end of book 5 I was only planning on having 4-5 characters involved for most of it.
as of right now I have 10 >.> I have some ways to keep some of them out of the main story of the arc, but my most troublesome character wasn't supposed to be there, and now she is and I don't have a good way to keep her out of things >.>

oh well should be interesting lol.

between the start and the end though I find the start far harder.
setting up the needed information and trying to grab the reader and making it enjoyable is far harder for me than resolving my storylines in a satisfying way.
blurbs would be a huge pain for me though.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
I have my editor write them. Can't boil my stories down to a few paragraphs. It breaks my brain lol

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
I just published a horror novelette on Wattpad. I doubt that anyone here reads Brazilian Portuguese besides me, but I'll leave this here anyway, in case I'm not the only one. I'd love to be read, and I'd be delighted to receive some criticism.

The hardest part is the dedication.
I can sit everyday to write, but not for a long time. I write bit by bit, but steady.

idk.
at this point i would argue it's connecting ideas for me. I'm still averaging a little over 1.2k words per day this year >.>
I keep planning things and then my characters do something that veers off and i have to fix that somehow lol.
going into the end of the book, I now have 3 extra characters and two extra story lines I wasn't planning at the start to deal with.
I have no clue how my mentally troubled lead character is going to deal with those new characters and trying to figure that out has slowed me down.

I was supposed to just leave to the next story arc after where I am at now, giving the character who has been mentally destroyed in this book time to recover some in the background without much focus on him... instead I have a story line to resolve that requires him >.<:

oh well, in general the harder it is to resolve a storyline, the more thought I give it, and most likely the stronger it is. This scene is setting up 3-4 arcs down the line so I need it now lol.

next arc is screwed up quite a bit as well. When I started planning the next arc at the end of book 5 I was only planning on having 4-5 characters involved for most of it.
as of right now I have 10 >.> I have some ways to keep some of them out of the main story of the arc, but my most troublesome character wasn't supposed to be there, and now she is and I don't have a good way to keep her out of things >.>

oh well should be interesting lol.

between the start and the end though I find the start far harder.
setting up the needed information and trying to grab the reader and making it enjoyable is far harder for me than resolving my storylines in a satisfying way.
blurbs would be a huge pain for me though.
This is the beauty of writing. It manages to surprise even the author. The question is that you shouldn't be so attached to your stuff. You have to know when to cut the loose threads.

Count me in on the blurb hate. I've never yet come up with one I'm happy with.
I spent yesterday and Saturday thinking hard to come up with a blurb. I managed to get something yesterday that it's just the first part of what it should be, but I came to the conclusion that eh, that's enough. I give up, lol.

I have my editor write them. Can't boil my stories down to a few paragraphs. It breaks my brain lol
Lucky you!

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Count me in on the blurb hate. I've never yet come up with one I'm happy with.

This is me being ignorant, but when you guys are talking about writing blurbs, are you saying that you, yourself, are writing the actual back of the book cover blurbs? Is this for self-publishing? Or are you talking about blurbs being used for another purpose?

I'm just curious because the writers I know, nobody actually writes the back cover blurb, the publishers worry about that. Sometimes they may actually lift parts of the query/synopsis that might have been included with the original novel submission to use in part or whole for the blurb, but they don't actually tell the author, "We need a blurb from you now, that's part of your contract."

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
This is the beauty of writing. It manages to surprise even the author. The question is that you shouldn't be so attached to your stuff. You have to know when to cut the loose threads.

I cut plenty of stuff (in fact between the last two drafts of book 1 I have almost completely cut a character who used to be a main character and have a number of storylines lol), but a good portion of the stuff I can't as it sets up for later arcs. A lot of the times I get in this situation it's merely because I ended up setting up stuff earlier than I expected lol.

For example, I've been setting up the next arc since book 1 (it will be book 7) nearly 600k words. The area and the main character involved there has been mentioned in every book since the first and it adds the next planned main character.

The other stuff that I was talking about sets up books 9 and 10 and while it might be possible to save this stuff until actually book 9 if I rework it (though by reworking it I think I would ruin set up I have done for book 8). All but one of the extra characters is because of what will be happening in book 8 which requires a large cast of characters and introducing them earlier rather than try to give 30+ characters background and personality in book 8 alone seemed like a better idea. The last one is because my character Koko often refuses to go along with my plans so while I wanted to leave her behind as bait, perfectly logical events lead to her not staying behind as bait anymore.

I prefer setting up stuff well in advance. I really enjoy when a story clearly sets up things early on and then resolves them eventually instead of setting up a conflict and dealing with it right away.

I have a poorly done list of lose threads I know about in case I want to touch them again. Though at this point there is only a single lose thread from book 1 that I have plans to hit again around book 15-16 or so.

Last edited:

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
I cut plenty of stuff (in fact between the last two drafts of book 1 I have almost completely cut a character who used to be a main character and have a number of storylines lol), but a good portion of the stuff I can't as it sets up for later arcs. A lot of the times I get in this situation it's merely because I ended up setting up stuff earlier than I expected lol.

For example, I've been setting up the next arc since book 1 (it will be book 7) nearly 600k words. The area and the main character involved there has been mentioned in every book since the first and it adds the next planned main character.

The other stuff that I was talking about sets up books 9 and 10 and while it might be possible to save this stuff until actually book 9 if I rework it (though by reworking it I think I would ruin set up I have done for book 8). All but one of the extra characters is because of what will be happening in book 8 which requires a large cast of characters and introducing them earlier rather than try to give 30+ characters background and personality in book 8 alone seemed like a better idea. The last one is because my character Koko often refuses to go along with my plans so while I wanted to leave her behind as bait, perfectly logical events lead to her not staying behind as bait anymore.

I prefer setting up stuff well in advance. I really enjoy when a story clearly sets up things early on and then resolves them eventually instead of setting up a conflict and dealing with it right away.

I have a poorly done list of lose threads I know about in case I want to touch them again. Though at this point there is only a single lose thread from book 1 that I have plans to hit again around book 15-16 or so.
I say DAMN!

What is it you're writing, man? That must be fucking epic!

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I say DAMN!

What is it you're writing, man? That must be fucking epic!

Since I try to avoid publically posting spoilers on the off chance I ever publish this and get a following I will PM most of the stuff I would say. but the short version is a story heavily inspired by shonen series like One Piece and comics like Xmen, but instead of having lots of big fights, the focus is far more on the characters/world, and the themes tend to be more mature in nature (not talking sexy scenes, but stuff like touching on suicide) but in general I want it to be a fun adventure so most of the heavy scenes are far between (I say as three of the books are decently heavy in general >.>).

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I think Zulux21 wins this thread. I could not, EVER, muster up the discipline he does.
I swear I am lazy in general >.<:
I have some discipline to keep going with my story but I don't have discipline to keep proper notes or edit things or read enough to continue to improve my writing ability or various other things. (though ideally I will shift to reworking book 1 after this book and during that time I will work on improving my writing overall to make future books require less work)

I should work on that as it often slows me down as I have to go look up details.

but my ideal night is just vegging out playing games or watching TV not doing anything of interest in general lol.

I also doubt I will hit the threads subtitle
unless I self publish I doubt I will ever be able to publish my story :P

but yeah if you ask me to describe myself quickly you would likely get
Lazy
Stuborn
a bit of a troll >.>

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
Since I try to avoid publically posting spoilers on the off chance I ever publish this and get a following I will PM most of the stuff I would say. but the short version is a story heavily inspired by shonen series like One Piece and comics like Xmen, but instead of having lots of big fights, the focus is far more on the characters/world, and the themes tend to be more mature in nature (not talking sexy scenes, but stuff like touching on suicide) but in general I want it to be a fun adventure so most of the heavy scenes are far between (I say as three of the books are decently heavy in general >.>).
I just read your PM, and man, it sounds amazing! I really want to read that, and I mean it. But are you a published writer that have access to the real deal? Do you have the intention to be published? I'm asking this because I always hear people saying that new writers should try to get into the market with a single book, because it is a risk to invest in an unknown writer, and riskier if you're coming with, for example, a trilogy, and you're talking about 15-16 huge books. That's is crazy!

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I just read your PM, and man, it sounds amazing! I really want to read that, and I mean it. But are you a published writer that have access to the real deal? Do you have the intention to be published? I'm asking this because I always hear people saying that new writers should try to get into the market with a single book, because it is a risk to invest in an unknown writer, and riskier if you're coming with, for example, a trilogy, and you're talking about 15-16 huge books. That's is crazy!
Nah I have never been published before. Nor have I written that many smaller stories. I wrote a few short stories for the CWC thread, beyond that I have one completed novel and half of a sequel to that, and one novel length DBZ fanfic that I finish. Both of which I lost at some point.

I have minor intentions to eventually publish my story but my main motivations are that I just want to get the story out of my head, and eventually ideally someone will enjoy it when I finish.
it is a risk to invest in an unknown writer especially a long series. That being said I think writing out the whole long story before hand is also abnormal. A lot of people try to sell a trilogy with only a single book done. I will likely have 10 books done before I even think about trying to publish anything. Most of that though is because I want to do my best to avoid retconning stuff. If I publish something, it's out there, I can't really change it anymore. As I continue onto my story i realize there are little things I need to change, or even some things I want to set up much earlier and go back and change details in earlier books. If I published I wouldn't be able to do that anymore.

but yeah. currently the first 3 books are all around 80k words and the last 3 books are more around 125k per. so they at least aren't super huge. That being said they are all one continuous story broken up into books. Book 2 starts on the same day book 1 left off ect. I think at most there is a week gap between books. Time passage happens in story (as is important so i need to define it clearly as I have lots of time related deadlines set up)

The most likely course for me is going completely true to the Light Novel roots that my writing style comes from and eventually just publishing a chapter a week somewhere, and if I am lucky and people find it and enjoy it maybe get a publishing deal after the fact. (far more common in japan but some cases like Ready Player One have happened here) Odds are I will never find any success from writing this. But that is fine. I don't think I could do this if I was expecting it to be a success.

overall I am expecting the story to clock in around 20-25 books. That being said as I continue writing I am creating new arcs faster than I can finish them >.<: My world and it's problems just keep getting bigger and bigger lol.

once I finish book 6 I will be approximately 25% done with my outline.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
This is me being ignorant, but when you guys are talking about writing blurbs, are you saying that you, yourself, are writing the actual back of the book cover blurbs? Is this for self-publishing? Or are you talking about blurbs being used for another purpose?

I'm just curious because the writers I know, nobody actually writes the back cover blurb, the publishers worry about that. Sometimes they may actually lift parts of the query/synopsis that might have been included with the original novel submission to use in part or whole for the blurb, but they don't actually tell the author, "We need a blurb from you now, that's part of your contract."

There's two contexts. If you're sending query letters out to agents and publishers then you still need a blurb for those - most I've dealt with ask for a two-three line summary/hook in your initial email even before they get to the plot summary.

In my case I also work with a micro-publisher who do ask me for input on the blurbs for my books - but at the scale they're working on I think that's less unusual.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota

In my case, it's the writeup I send to agents. I basically view them as back-of-book blurbs, and if I self publish, it's what I'll use for the blurb.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
There's two contexts. If you're sending query letters out to agents and publishers then you still need a blurb for those - most I've dealt with ask for a two-three line summary/hook in your initial email even before they get to the plot summary.

In my case I also work with a micro-publisher who do ask me for input on the blurbs for my books - but at the scale they're working on I think that's less unusual.

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm painfully, PAINFULLY familiar with the query version, just never heard of it referred to as the blurb, though I've seen advice to write it LIKE a blurb. Also interesting to see that micro-publishers actually give you some input on actual back-cover blurbs. I didn't know they let you do things like that.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Nah I have never been published before. Nor have I written that many smaller stories. I wrote a few short stories for the CWC thread, beyond that I have one completed novel and half of a sequel to that, and one novel length DBZ fanfic that I finish. Both of which I lost at some point.

I have minor intentions to eventually publish my story but my main motivations are that I just want to get the story out of my head, and eventually ideally someone will enjoy it when I finish.
it is a risk to invest in an unknown writer especially a long series. That being said I think writing out the whole long story before hand is also abnormal. A lot of people try to sell a trilogy with only a single book done. I will likely have 10 books done before I even think about trying to publish anything. Most of that though is because I want to do my best to avoid retconning stuff. If I publish something, it's out there, I can't really change it anymore. As I continue onto my story i realize there are little things I need to change, or even some things I want to set up much earlier and go back and change details in earlier books. If I published I wouldn't be able to do that anymore.

but yeah. currently the first 3 books are all around 80k words and the last 3 books are more around 125k per. so they at least aren't super huge. That being said they are all one continuous story broken up into books. Book 2 starts on the same day book 1 left off ect. I think at most there is a week gap between books. Time passage happens in story (as is important so i need to define it clearly as I have lots of time related deadlines set up)

The most likely course for me is going completely true to the Light Novel roots that my writing style comes from and eventually just publishing a chapter a week somewhere, and if I am lucky and people find it and enjoy it maybe get a publishing deal after the fact. (far more common in japan but some cases like Ready Player One have happened here) Odds are I will never find any success from writing this. But that is fine. I don't think I could do this if I was expecting it to be a success.

overall I am expecting the story to clock in around 20-25 books. That being said as I continue writing I am creating new arcs faster than I can finish them >.<: My world and it's problems just keep getting bigger and bigger lol.

once I finish book 6 I will be approximately 25% done with my outline.
If you're writing shounen-inspired light novel stuff, you'd probably find an audience over at Royal Road Legends, which deals primarily in that demographic (and features numerous series with million-plus word counts, though your mileage will obviously vary about the quality when people are publishing 10-20,000 word installments every week...)

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I think Zulux21 wins this thread. I could not, EVER, muster up the discipline he does.
I could write like that(since I used to write a ton back in the late 90s-early to mid 00s), but since I'm a Youtuber now I spend more time on that. It's why I focus on Nano yearly for my novels as I plan to outline novels for that in advance.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
Thanks for clearing that up. I'm painfully, PAINFULLY familiar with the query version, just never heard of it referred to as the blurb, though I've seen advice to write it LIKE a blurb. Also interesting to see that micro-publishers actually give you some input on actual back-cover blurbs. I didn't know they let you do things like that.
It might vary from publisher to publisher - I've only dealt with this one so far.

Deleted member 4532

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wanna join a writing group in my city to make new friends and connections as well as have a space to write. Also want to be more social and not let anxiety ruin me. What should I go about doing this?

Oct 25, 2017
I wanna join a writing group in my city to make new friends and connections as well as have a space to write. Also want to be more social and not let anxiety ruin me. What should I go about doing this?

I'll probs try and do something like this too in the next few months. So if you have anxiety about meeting new people, don't worry. Another Eraer is suffering with you!
Anyways I'd say check out programs at your local library. That's where I found a writing group I never went to in my last city.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017

Probably the first thing to do will be to conduct an online search with various community/group websites in your area. Depending on which city you live in, you may find an intimidating number of groups to join, or you may find that you'll have to drive out quite a ways to physically meet with a group. If you can narrow it down to a few groups--assuming you have a lot of choices--then write in to whoever it is that organizes the group and see if you can attend one of their meetings. That might involve you having to contribute something before being allowed to attend, or it might mean they simply welcome you and allow you to observe.

The important thing, however, is to make sure you're COMFORTABLE with how the group operates. If you find that the group is very competitive and takes "tough love" to the point of cruelty, and that's not your thing, bail. If you find that the group has one Svengali-like figure that everyone kow-tows to, and it means there's no dissension in the ranks at all, and largely exists to stoke that person's ego, bail. If you find that it's a group of supportive people that give useful, critical comments that actually push people to improve their writing, and the atmosphere is one of mutual respect and enthusiasm for improving as writers, hold onto that group with both hands and don't let go.

The problem with any writing group is, you won't really know whether it's a good fit for you or not, until you see the group in action. And the wrong writing group can be a horrible experience that sets a person's journey in the craft back years, or perhaps forever. The RIGHT writing group, on the other hand, can lift a person's writing to a level of Good they hadn't even known they could reach because they're getting good, useful feedback that shows them how to build on existing strengths, while eliminating weaknesses.

I guess it boils down to your own feelings when you attend. If you feel nervous, just because you're nervous about the new group, make the effort to endure that nervousness. But if you feel nervous, and even hurt because the group is just cruel and demeaning, back off FAST. Good luck.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Writing around people *shudders at the thought*

anyways, you can try cragislist or facebook. Odds are facebook has a writing group for your area.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017

To be fair, some groups *might* have you actually writing at the meetings, just as exercises or ice breakers. But usually, the writing is done on your own time, and then e-mailed out to the group, so they can read it in advance, make critique comments, and then discuss at the next meeting. The nice thing about having a regular group like that is for some people, it gives a sense of accountability. Like now you HAVE to produce something to give to the group, and it lends more motivation to stick to writing.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, some groups *might* have you actually writing at the meetings, just as exercises or ice breakers. But usually, the writing is done on your own time, and then e-mailed out to the group, so they can read it in advance, make critique comments, and then discuss at the next meeting. The nice thing about having a regular group like that is for some people, it gives a sense of accountability. Like now you HAVE to produce something to give to the group, and it lends more motivation to stick to writing.
Sharing with people *shudders at the thought* :P

to be fair I doubt what I am working on would fit the group setting very well as I am in near the end of book 6 of a series and that isn't easy to share just because it typically requires a lot of explaining for what is going on.

I mean, I totally get how met ups like that could work but I would rather just talk to people here or on discord rather than go someplace >.> my home is my happy place.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
Yeah, that's pretty much how my group works. The in-depth feedback is really helpful though.

Deleted member 4532

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I was working!
I'll probs try and do something like this too in the next few months. So if you have anxiety about meeting new people, don't worry. Another Eraer is suffering with you!
Anyways I'd say check out programs at your local library. That's where I found a writing group I never went to in my last city.
I'll try heading to some Libraries tomorrow morning then!
Probably the first thing to do will be to conduct an online search with various community/group websites in your area. Depending on which city you live in, you may find an intimidating number of groups to join, or you may find that you'll have to drive out quite a ways to physically meet with a group. If you can narrow it down to a few groups--assuming you have a lot of choices--then write in to whoever it is that organizes the group and see if you can attend one of their meetings. That might involve you having to contribute something before being allowed to attend, or it might mean they simply welcome you and allow you to observe.

The important thing, however, is to make sure you're COMFORTABLE with how the group operates. If you find that the group is very competitive and takes "tough love" to the point of cruelty, and that's not your thing, bail. If you find that the group has one Svengali-like figure that everyone kow-tows to, and it means there's no dissension in the ranks at all, and largely exists to stoke that person's ego, bail. If you find that it's a group of supportive people that give useful, critical comments that actually push people to improve their writing, and the atmosphere is one of mutual respect and enthusiasm for improving as writers, hold onto that group with both hands and don't let go.

The problem with any writing group is, you won't really know whether it's a good fit for you or not, until you see the group in action. And the wrong writing group can be a horrible experience that sets a person's journey in the craft back years, or perhaps forever. The RIGHT writing group, on the other hand, can lift a person's writing to a level of Good they hadn't even known they could reach because they're getting good, useful feedback that shows them how to build on existing strengths, while eliminating weaknesses.

I guess it boils down to your own feelings when you attend. If you feel nervous, just because you're nervous about the new group, make the effort to endure that nervousness. But if you feel nervous, and even hurt because the group is just cruel and demeaning, back off FAST. Good luck.
I've been googling on my phone and I've found tons on Meetup. The thing is, I want to go in the mornings because I work in the afternoon. It'll be hard to change my schedule to accommodate this as well. I'll keep looking. I live in Vegas and it's a big city so I'm sure there's something out there.

anyways, you can try cragislist or facebook. Odds are facebook has a writing group for your area.
Yeah, I mainly just want the social interactions and possible connection. It'll be nice to give my friends a break from all my story talk too.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Guys, I'm working on a death metal song that's largely about my cat chasing a laser pointer, but it's dressed up in a Satan vs God kind of thing because death metal. Also because my cat is a douche but I love him. Also because I'm easily amused. Still not feeling the lyrics 100% though, so I'm posting and hoping for some feedback, I guess? I plan on singing them with my tongue firmly planted behind my teeth, so they'll sound like nonsense, but it's the thought that counts.

Kill it kill it kill it - kill the light
kill it kill it kill it - make it night
kill it kill it kill it - I am your god
kill it kill it kill it - kill the light

I stalk my kingdom of endless night
the legion beast the dragon pit the antichrist
I devote your life to worship me
I am claws on calloused paws and giant teeth

You can't hide from me, Metatron

[chorus]

I keep my minions in ecstasy
I envy greed in pride and sloth I'm gluttony
And I claim this garden as my throne
to sleep and kill my hunger filled eternal home

Come and face me, Metatron

[chorus]

I won the war of love and hate
A week to build a king to kill the day of eight
But I know my hunt will never cease
The angels soar the flames of war and now I feast

I've found you, Metatron

[GUITAR SOLO + random screaming]

[chorus]

So I really dig the first verse. That's not changing. I like the first two lines of the second verse and the idea of the last two. My cat likes to go in the garden, and also the garden of eden thing, so that fits. Third verse I'm real iffy on, even if I enjoy the last line of it.

If ya got any ideas, let me have 'em please!

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of challenging trying to write characters dancing but trying to decide if I should just say the dance move or actually describe it, though watching some of the Hip Hop Teach Me How to Club Dance videos is helpful for describing movement, but I hate how I lose the feeling Im trying to go for :( example trying to describe the side-to-side

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of challenging trying to write characters dancing but trying to decide if I should just say the dance move or actually describe it, though watching some of the Hip Hop Teach Me How to Club Dance videos is helpful for describing movement, but I hate how I lose the feeling Im trying to go for :( example trying to describe the side-to-side

Well in my current novel, dancing plays a big role for one of the character so I just described the movement as well how the character felt when dancing.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Giving my blurb for Toyland another pass since it's getting rejected by a lot of agents. This is the new idea. What say you fine folk?

BP6 is the sixth pawn in the black army. He's a chess piece. The problem is, he hates chess. He'd rather spend his time at Darbie's strip club, snorting sugar or getting black-out drunk on cheap soda, because if there's one thing BP6 hates more than chess, it's being a pawn.

John is a recon specialist in the G.I. army. He's a soldier. He loves his purpose, and he loves being defined by that purpose. He exists to keep Toyland safe from terrorists.

They are both toys in Toyland, and in Toyland you are what you are. You follow the rules on your box.

That is, until one drunken stupor when BP6 stumbled upon a secret G.I. weapon—one that doesn't shoot plastic bullets but spits real fire. Now he's free. Now the rules don't matter. He can be whatever he wants and damn the consequences.

He can kill anyone that tells him otherwise.

Now it's up to John to stop the little pawn, but there's a catch: The two are best friends, and the weapon's theft is his fault. He doesn't want to kill his friend, but he's not sure he has a choice in the matter. BP6 is a terrorists, and terrorists must be stopped.

He is, after all, a toy in Toyland. In Toyland, you follow the rules on your box.

Toyland is a dark comedy/action adventure mash up about finding the meaning to life. It's Toy Story meets Grand Theft Auto. It measures 64,900 words.