• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know that there is an Office online similar to Google Docs (which I'm currently using). The Word Online is surprisingly faster than Google's alternative. Should I start using it instead of Google Docs? Are there any downsides? I'm asking because I'm always anxious changing these kinds of suites because I had some bad stuff happening on my files with other alternatives.
I like word online mainly for the sake of syncing my work across different pcs and macs. I have done considerable typing on it which gets the job done. I prefer it more than google docs, but mainly I usually do the edit in word option in office 365.

I wish it did have full features, but thats more of a complain against powerpoint online.

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
I like word online mainly for the sake of syncing my work across different pcs and macs. I have done considerable typing on it which gets the job done. I prefer it more than google docs, but mainly I usually do the edit in word option in office 365.

I wish it did have full features, but thats more of a complain against powerpoint online.
Today is the second day I'm using Word Online, and I'm noticing that it constantly fails to register some characters I press on the keyboard. Weird...
This is a deal breaker for me, unfortunately. But I'll use it for revision, since it seems better than Google Docs in that regard.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
For the hell of it, I wrote an 18th century rap song:

Beware ye, unlettered ruffian
For I am a courteous fellow, you shall not be tussling
Take heed, thy ghastly beard-splitting shabbaroon
Who shall behold the bottom of my musket, soon

I will allow you to skitter and squirrel away
For I am quite moral
You do not wish to engage me in a gentleman's quarrel

Your sight from thy ocular sockets must be rusting
Much like the your monacle that need be adjusting
So take thy tavern wench and ignite thy steam-powered automobile
For you are no match for this rabble rouser's skill

(microphone drop)

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
For the hell of it, I wrote an 18th century rap song:

Beware ye, unlettered ruffian
For I am a courteous fellow, you shall not be tussling
Take heed, thy ghastly beard-splitting shabbaroon
Who shall behold the bottom of my musket, soon

I will allow you to skitter and squirrel away
For I am quite moral
You do not wish to engage me in a gentleman's quarrel

Your sight from thy ocular sockets must be rusting
Much like the your monacle that need be adjusting
So take thy tavern wench and ignite thy steam-powered automobile
For you are no match for this rabble rouser's skill

(microphone drop)
you should post this in the poetry thread instead
https://www.resetera.com/threads/poetryera-no-rhyme-or-reason.71423/#post-14361633 :P

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone here ever gotten a revise and resubmit request from an agent?

I haven't, I got lucky that way and my agent signed me on with only minimal revisions (basically just change some pronouns around for a non-binary character), but I know a lot of writers who have gotten R&Rs. It's definitely a Your-Mileage-May-Vary scenario. I know one writer who was on an R&R with a big name agent for over a year. Ultimately, she decided to go with a different agent entirely who made her an offer without the R&R and loved the book just the way it was. She decided that she wanted to be with a newer agent, who was early in her career and spending more time on each individual client, rather than the big shot agent, for whom she would have been small fry newbie among his stable of big shots. But everyone's gotta' make that choice for themselves.

I know some people actually get an offer of representation, or even publication after doing an R&R, but I also know a LOT of people go through it, and still get a "no" afterwards.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh you lucky people getting things like R&R requests. I'm lucky if I get a personal rejection letter. Speaking of, my once Nano is over I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I'm not going to work on the novel I just wrote, but I do think I'll work on editing some short stories but then I always have to decide which stories to go through.

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't, I got lucky that way and my agent signed me on with only minimal revisions (basically just change some pronouns around for a non-binary character), but I know a lot of writers who have gotten R&Rs. It's definitely a Your-Mileage-May-Vary scenario. I know one writer who was on an R&R with a big name agent for over a year. Ultimately, she decided to go with a different agent entirely who made her an offer without the R&R and loved the book just the way it was. She decided that she wanted to be with a newer agent, who was early in her career and spending more time on each individual client, rather than the big shot agent, for whom she would have been small fry newbie among his stable of big shots. But everyone's gotta' make that choice for themselves.

I know some people actually get an offer of representation, or even publication after doing an R&R, but I also know a LOT of people go through it, and still get a "no" afterwards.
I decided to make the changes, but I'm pretty nervous. If it ends up getting rejected I'm not sure my self-esteem can handle it after the publishing year I've had. Here's hoping the agent likes it, or at least gives me a another shot.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I decided to make the changes, but I'm pretty nervous. If it ends up getting rejected I'm not sure my self-esteem can handle it after the publishing year I've had. Here's hoping the agent likes it, or at least gives me a another shot.

If you truly feel the revisions you make actually improve the book, then even if it doesn't result in an offer or a publication, nothing was really lost.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of personal updates for me lately.

September-November of this year has easily been the most prolific writing period for me, and it's led to a lot of exciting work.

To begin with, I completed the first draft of The Rose and Honey Soul. This started life about 2.5 years ago as a short story inspired by Dark Souls. It's set in a perpetually dark world and features a main character who fights in enormous armour. I wrote about 5,000 words, which I liked, but something wasn't clicking. So, I set it aside for a long time as I worked on other short stories/novelettes/etc., and then earlier this year, something clicked: it wasn't a short story, it was a novella. With this in mind, I took what I already had, and expanded it into a full, multi-chapter outline in Scrivener (I'd previously just been writing in Google Docs).

I finished The Rose and Honey Soul a week-and-a-half ago. Clocked in at a (dubious) 45k words. So, technically a short novel, but more likely sold as a novella. I'm very happy with how it turned out, though, due to the big gap in writing, it's going to need a lot of smoothing over between the first and second draft to catch all the continuity and world building contradictions. It's one of the darker things I've written, but at its centre is a hopeful story about love.

Here's the little logline I wrote for it:
In a dangerous world drenched in darkness, "The Rose and Honey Soul" explores how far a person will go to find a missing loved one. The world of "The Rose and Honey Soul" is full of great fungal-powered generators, darkblades, Guilds, nightborne, dragon gods, and a city under siege. As she searches for answers about her lover's disappearance, an Asher named Teoh will find answers that will change the world. Inspired by Dark Souls, "The Rose and Honey Soul" is a story about courage and perseverance, love, and making light when the night is darkest.
I also go into a bit more depth about the story and the writing process on my blog.

At this point, I've had a (good, legitimate) agent and an editor at Tor.com Publishing ask to see a manuscript once it's ready. So, that's cool.

Having finished that, I've now rolled into working solely on my novel, The Thousand Shattered Gods. Like The Rose and Honey Soul, I started writing this novel (which didn't have a title at the time) several years ago, but after about 20k words it faltered and I couldn't figure out exactly what was wrong. Fast-forward to late this summer, after an errant conversation about epic fantasy between me, an agent, and an editor at Orbit Books, and everything fell into place. I re-outlined the novel and suddenly had something that WORKED. What I realized is that before I was chasing the market—trying to write something that was labyrinthine and political, appealing to the post-GRRM market—rather than the story I REALLY wanted to tell, which was more colourful and adventurous, full of magic, beautiful set pieces, fun characters, something in the style of '90s epic fantasy.

Last week I had holidays, and devoted a ton of time each day to writing. At this point, I'm now 10k deep into the new draft (having ditched most of the 20k I'd previously written, outside a few passages and descriptive paragraphs here and there), and it feels GOOD.

My goal at this point is to continue working on The Thousand Shattered Gods, and get through the first draft in a reasonable amount of time. One thing I've found is that the more frequently/regularly I write, the more efficient I get. My daily word count goes up, and the words come easier. I haven't written 10k words of fiction in a week in... forever?

The Rose and Honey Soul is currently with some beta readers, and I'll be getting it back in the new year. At that point I'll step away from the novel to work on revisions and then, fingers crossed, find an agent and a home for The Rose and Honey Soul, while continuing to work on the first draft of The Thousand Shattered Gods.

*phew*

Last edited:

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Having finished that, I've now rolled into working solely on my novel, The Thousand Shattered Gods. Like The Rose and Honey Soul, I started writing this novel (which didn't have a title at the time) several years ago, but after about 20k words it faltered and I couldn't figure out exactly what was wrong. Fast-forward to late this summer, after an errant conversation about epic fantasy between me, an agent, and an editor at Orbit Books, and everything fell into place.

That's actually really neat that you got some input from Brit. She's definitely one of the cooler editors out there, and I've known many a writer--including myself--that felt bad when she turned down the manuscript our agents submitted to her at Orbit. Then again, she edited N.K. Jemisin, so, yeah... she can afford to be picky...

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
That's actually really neat that you got some input from Brit. She's definitely one of the cooler editors out there, and I've known many a writer--including myself--that felt bad when she turned down the manuscript our agents submitted to her at Orbit. Then again, she edited N.K. Jemisin, so, yeah... she can afford to be picky...

Yeah, Brit's stable of authors is... impressive, to say the least. But, she's also approachable, obviously *loves* genre fiction, and her Twitter feed is a great resource for readers and writers alike.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I swear everytime you give an update on what you're doing it always seems waaaaaaaaay more busy than the last. Anyways really glad to hear you've got so many projects going! Reminds me I should probs get atleast one going too or something.
you will, you have a CWC coming up.

edit: it feels weird having a project finished that I could actually clean up and share :P

Last edited:

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
REMINDER, YOU SHOULD BACK UP YOUR PROJECTS, EITHER VIA A LOCAL HARDDRIVE/FLASH DRIVE OR AN ONLINE PROJECT SUCH AS GOOGLE DRIVE.

last thing you want is for that nano project to vanish because your hard drive fails.

personally I zip my projects setting them up to require a password before I upload them to google drive, but that's because I don't trust people not to get into my google drive account even though I have 2 step and the only way to get into my google drive account on a new computer is with my phone.

OP
OP
weemadarthur

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
All of Y'all LISTEN UP

Since today, the site now allows an OP to make bookmarks inside a thread of notable posts.
These are called Threadmarks, and are in their own menu. You may see that I have marked some notable posts already [75% through thread].

We have management permission for each writer to keep, in this OT, and nowhere else, one Self Promotional Post. If you have previously linked a published work, I have already added your post to Threadmarks. Please go to that marked post, and maintain your list. Here are the rules.
YOU MAY: link to your author page
YOU MAY: link to a book description page that allows purchases
YOU MAY NOT: use referral links
YOU MAY NOT: use a link that goes straight to a purchase page
Also watch your NSFW links. Describe properly to keep yourselves out of trouble.

I can also give the thread a Cover - that is, fancy pictograph thingies that will show in the banner you probably hate seeing at the top of the forum. Now taking submissions for Cover options.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh snap that an interesting feature I never thought of. That'll be exciting when I'm hopefully one day important enough for an authors page.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Wtqy3Dc.png

zN9b7G4.png

https://www.resetera.com/threads/writersera-ot-publish-before-you-die.369/page-20#post-5267371

didn't even look at the bookmarks :P

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair I've never actually posted about my books in here. I've got two published to date:

Lamplight is a contemporary ghost story set in a northen English town, in which a group of friends receive strange anonymous messages to their phones after one of their number goes missing.

The Stickman's Legacy is a modern-day fairy-tale about a young woman investigating the death of her missing father, and being drawn into a secret world below the surface of London.

(and thanks for maintaining the thread, weemadarthur )
I've got zero published
zero uploaded anywhere unless you count CWC
and uh... zero reasons to call myself a writer, so I don't :P

it's awesome you have multiple things published though :)

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, as far as I'm concerned, if you write regularly then you're a writer.
Most of Kafka's work was never even published during his lifetime.
I mostly don't call myself a writer because I don't feel like one lol.
I don't care if I have written nearly 345k words in my main project and a 56k word nano project, I'm not a writer, just someone trying to get ideas out of my head because I don't want them there lol.

*starts some music to focus as lots of words need to be written to free up time for smash this weekend lol*

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
All of Y'all LISTEN UP

Since today, the site now allows an OP to make bookmarks inside a thread of notable posts.
These are called Threadmarks, and are in their own menu. You may see that I have marked some notable posts already [75% through thread].

Damn, that's an extremely useful feature! Didn't think to use it that way, but good on you for doing so!

Sadly, I don't have any novels yet I can legally suggest for my own self-promotional link, just inclusions in anthologies so far, but... uh... just wait until next year and I can say something...

OP
OP
weemadarthur

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair I've never actually posted about my books in here. I've got two published to date:
But you did. That's how you have a marked post.

Damn, that's an extremely useful feature! Didn't think to use it that way, but good on you for doing so!

Sadly, I don't have any novels yet I can legally suggest for my own self-promotional link, just inclusions in anthologies so far, but... uh... just wait until next year and I can say something...
You can link the anthologies can you not? If you like, of course. Unless there's a pen name issue or something; anyone who doesn't want to display all their pen names certainly doesn't have to.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
You can link the anthologies can you not? If you like, of course. Unless there's a pen name issue or something; anyone who doesn't want to display all their pen names certainly doesn't have to.

Oh yeah, there's no legal issue with it at all. It's just more of a Chasing The Dream thing. I've been at this for a while, trying to get something into the bookstores with my name on the cover, so I'd rather wait for that.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god the end of the year is coming! Anyone finishing up previous new years resolution or is everyone kind of content with what they did for the year?

I can honestly say I wish I did more, but I didn't have a bad year all things considered.

Oct 27, 2017
I almost finished my revision for this year, but I gave it to another writer to look at and it's just been crickets, so I guess I won't be done with this book until early January.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I actually had a great year, but I can't publicly disclose why yet. So the only thing for me that's writing-related that is on my To-Do list is cut down a novel I submitted to my agent, get it down to about 120K (Sitting at 131K so far, from 147K) and make sure that's ready for submission out to editors in January. Then get to work on a polishing up the first draft of a novella I wrote over November and get that to her as well for submission.

So I've actually cleared out my schedule, and I'm going to try to do nothing but write my own fiction between now and New Year's. That's basically my plan.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Oh god the end of the year is coming! Anyone finishing up previous new years resolution or is everyone kind of content with what they did for the year?

I can honestly say I wish I did more, but I didn't have a bad year all things considered.
Eh. I finished draft two of a book, so that's nice. Wrote some short stories I really like. However, I've put off draft three for like five months now and that bothers me, and I barely sent Toyland to agents after the first initial push of rejections. It's getting very hard to do that kinda shit, since it's a ton of work with at this point, zero payoff.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a procrastinator, man does it suck to get motivation and then immediately decide you hate what you've written so far and start over again. I've written the same beginning chapters like 3 times now.

i feel it may be because I'm hyper conscious about the admittedly politically fuelled subject matter and have to be hyper perfectionist about how respectful it is. Maybe writing something..... Smaller/more light hearted would be a good idea.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
When I had the idea of trying to follow a couple story lines in real time leading up to a major conflict in the next book. I didn't realize how hard and time consuming it would be plan this all out lol.

Though, I at least feel like the hard work will likely pay off, and doing this stuff will help the major conflict be all that much stronger since I won't have to introduce quite as many characters, instead I can just expand the motivations of characters the reader has already met.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sharing this in the writing thread instead of the reading one just cause I think it's such a neat way to write a story!!! It's basically a story where each part is told within twitters 280 character limit. It's also got some damn fine art.

https://twitter.com/i/moments/937534154605920257
Gigi is so great
I think this has inspired me to draw a little picture before putting up my short stories on my blog. I need to get on that tonight.

Last edited: