• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to get back into writing after focusing on illustration for a while, then spending a couple of months in recovery mode. One of the most frustrating things about being visually impaired is that I'm stuck with the reading ability of a twelve year-old, even when, as a twelve year-old, I had the reading comprehension of someone much older. And, naturally, that impacts on my writing ability (and illustration abilities, too - I chose my interests in life rather poorly, lol).

Read. Consume inspiring material. Remind yourself why you write. Sometimes, if it's applicable, it's good to go back and read stuff you wrote in the past, both to see how much you've improved and to, again, remind yourself why you write.
feel free to join the CWC
https://www.resetera.com/threads/creative-writing-challenge-30-bound-by-expectation.107704/

:P

as for reading what you wrote in the past.... it's also depressing when you realize you really haven't gotten any better in the last year >.>

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
I'd appreciate any thoughts or constructive criticism. Many thanks.
I'd agree with others above that I actually prefer the original to the post-edit - the original's a little messy but has a sense of flow and voice to it, while the post-edit reads like a series of factual statements without giving us enough of a sense of character. Having lots of short sentences also makes prose less interesting to read - you should try and vary your sentence lengths if possible.

I feel roadblocked. Stalled. I don't know how else to put it. I physically cannot write anything and it feels like I've been pounding invisible walls for the last month trying to get anything done.

What do you do when this happens?
Wish I knew an easy answer to this myself - I frequently have similar months, and the only way I've found to get back into the swing of things is to force it - to spend a set amount of time (an hour, say) writing even what I know to be bad prose until it starts to become easier again.
Starting a new project's a tempting way to break a block as well, but I've found that more dangerous as you wind up never finishing anything.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Starting a new project's a tempting way to break a block as well, but I've found that more dangerous as you wind up never finishing anything.
I've seen people get stuck in that cycle. Especially if you do it multiple times.
you just get 30-40% done with a project, get stuck, and start something new.

after a few years all you have is a bunch of 30-40% done projects and nothing to really show for it beyond that.

that being said something like the CWC can be a good way to do a little something but not derail yourself. But even within those we have some people who really can only get motivated to do those and not something more. Not that it's inherently a bad thing, but I know at least one of the people I'm talking about wants to do more, they just can't ever seem to stay focused on something more beyond the first few thousand words.

Oct 25, 2017
When getting stuck, it's best to do something else like exercise. Get your mind off it for an hour or two. Then force yourself to get back into it. It's not going to always be easy.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished a short sci-fi story (Is 7k words still considered short?) hoping to send it to a sci-fi magazine. It's my first try writing in English first, not translating it after. Is anyone willing to give me feedback? You can be as harsh as you want! Hahaha

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished a short sci-fi story (Is 7k words still considered short?) hoping to send it to a sci-fi magazine. It's my first try writing in English first, not translating it after. Is anyone willing to give me feedback? You can be as harsh as you want! Hahaha

7K is still technically considered short, but it is on the "long" side of short. You'll find that some publications may be closed off to you because of that word count. 5K generally keeps you in the clear for most.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
7K is still technically considered short, but it is on the "long" side of short. You'll find that some publications may be closed off to you because of that word count. 5K generally keeps you in the clear for most.

Thats true. Right now I am rereading it in hopes of seeing what obviously can be cut, but I imagine outside perspective would be better in that regard.

If anyone is interested, here it is.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/18MKRzo6poZH7BjbHkyqZDl2iCPMLnIXjVZ4ZB0ixLdk/edit?usp=sharing

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I've been working on a point and click adventure game for the past 8-9 years. It never really had a real story in mind (I know, that's probably not the best thing to do for a game like that) since this started out of my love for animation. It was more of a Uncharted-situation where set pieces were done first...

I have reached a point where I'm basically done except for the writing. But I'm not a writer and not a native English speaker so I wouldn't want to ruin my hard work by horrible writing. That's why I've come here. Maybe someone here wants to help me finish this game. The game is completely playable from start to finish and has some story beats already included. It's a Zak McKracken fan game and the prequel to a sequel I've been involved with in the past (Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders > my game > Zak McKracken - Between Time and Space (the fan sequel I was involved with)).

I made a thread about this a few years ago on the old forum but there was little to no interest in it so I kept working by myself. Maybe I have more luck this time on era.

As this is a tribute to the old Lucas Arts adventure games you can probably guess what kind of writing I'm looking for.

For anyone seriously interested I can provide a download link.

Oct 25, 2017
Here is a pretty interesting take on writing endings. Even if you don't agree, I think there will be some insight to be learned. It's a thread so be sure to click to read the full thing.

Here is one of my favorite comedian's comments on that thread.

It's something to think about when writing your ending.

Oct 25, 2017
Here is a pretty interesting take on writing endings. Even if you don't agree, I think there will be some insight to be learned. It's a thread so be sure to click to read the full thing.

Here is one of my favorite comedian's comments on that thread.

It's something to think about when writing your ending.

It's an interesting thought on endings but I kinda feel the need to side eye anyone that uses the term "a writer's failing" and "if you've done your job right the story will fly home yourself"

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't done this in a bit. a little update where my scrivener file is up to
phHZ7je.png

Also. monthly reminder to back up your projects and if you want to log yourself compared to others the april sheet is ready
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...q7MN6BfjyAw4ouC02ClpRI8GyY/edit#gid=886115322

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
Just came back from AWP 2019. A bit overwhelming being in place with 15,000 writers and publishers, but it was a good experience.

Oct 25, 2017
anyone have tips on how to do physical description of places, please?

There's a couple different philosophies to it but the general consensus is it should be enough to give the reader an idea of where they are as opposed to being in a blank white space. If you do any kind of visual description, it helps to follow the natural path of the eyes. So lets say you enter a fancy ass dining room, you notice the chandelier first cause it's big, glass, and kinda low hanging, then the green wallpaper, then the dinner table set up with expensive china. You wouldn't go chandler, texture of the carpet, a fork, then the table, you know?

As for stuff outside of visual senses, I'd sprinkle them in there but I'm also bad about them myself. A good thing to keep in mind about descriptions is they're very detail orientated. The more precise you can be the better, but be careful because some people think that means wordy. It doesn't. You can describe the perfume as a floral perfume clearly plucked from her personal garden or you could say a rose scented perfume. I'd personally recommend the latter.

A thing I occasionally do when I have a room or environment I feel is underdecribed is a make a little side space at the top of the scene where I just vomit out descriptions, listing everything I can possibly think of from the texture of the floor, to the smells of perfume, to the weird echos and floor boards. i just try and put as many descriptions and small details as I can in that one paragraph, then I pluck the descriptions I like from it and put them into my scene. I rarely even use half of it, but it really helps me personally to take a minute and figure it out for myself with no pressure of having to actually use it.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
anyone have tips on how to do physical description of places, please?
I think the above is good advice, for me personally, if I'm describing an environment, start with as basic of a description as you can. For example, if you say a forest or a city, everyone has a generic idea of what that is and can fill in the gaps. Then describe what makes this unique from that generic interpretation of that idea, evoking sights, sounds, and other considerations, as well as a stray observation or two the character may make.

Oct 25, 2017
Today is going to be a productive day! I've got things to edit/beta read and really this is all an elaborate ploy to keep me from doing my taxes! So a writing day it is!

Master Milk

Oct 25, 2017
What are the rules commanding

Its and It's?

Or do readers not really care if you are using them correctly?

basic grammar, of course readers care

it's is a contraction of it is, for example "it's something you want to get right"

its is possessive, for example "its importance shouldn't be taken for granted"

if you're having trouble keeping them straight, it's really easy to just ask yourself if "it is" would make sense here instead

Oct 25, 2017
basic grammar, of course readers care

it's is a contraction of it is, for example "it's something you want to get right"

its is possessive, for example "its importance shouldn't be taken for granted"

if you're having trouble keeping them straight, it's really easy to just ask yourself if "it is" would make sense here instead
Oops I've totally had it in the wrong order for some reason. Thanks.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
>Submit fantasy story to publishing house. Query letter contains genre and word count
>"This sounds fantastic. Hope to get to it soon!"
>Like four months pass
>pester
>Sorry for the delay. We don't really do fantasy or stories this long. Sorry!

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFuck all of this. It's the same damn person, too. Just infuriating.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Hey guys. I've been working on my novel for a while—three years at this point with all the edits, beta feedback intake, etc. I'm currently working on what is the "showable" version before I try courting agents. I really like what I've done so far, but right now, my issue is motivation. It's not writer's block and it's not a want for ideas, but rather, just feeling burnt out.

Anyone have helpful, motivation tips to combat writer's fatigue? Thanks!

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Hey guys. I've been working on my novel for a while—three years at this point with all the edits, beta feedback intake, etc. I'm currently working on what is the "showable" version before I try courting agents. I really like what I've done so far, but right now, my issue is motivation. It's not writer's block and it's not a want for ideas, but rather, just feeling burnt out.

When's the last time you took a break? I like to give my drafts a solid month of "I will not think about this" to just, decompress. And it makes me itch for coming back when it's time.

Because yeah, editing is draining as hell.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017

Taking a break from it is definitely a good idea, as others have suggested. I always step away from a book once the first draft is done, and I take some time thinking about beta comments before tackling them.

If you want to keep writing, but don't want to work on the book, the alternative is to go for something shorter, but in my opinion, much, MUCH tougher; your query letter. In most cases, an agent isn't even going to look at your book if your query is poor, because lots of agencies have a policy not requesting any pages unless they like your query. So the quality of your novel isn't even going to be a consideration for some of the big agencies unless the quality of your query is up to snuff.

I personally find writing a query to be more difficult than writing the book, but others have a lot of fun with it. I even know some writers that write their query FIRST, because it lays, out in broad strokes, what should be the central idea and best elements of the book, and that a poor query can sometimes point out central problems with your book, like not having a proactive character, or having a dull conflict.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
When's the last time you took a break? I like to give my drafts a solid month of "I will not think about this" to just, decompress. And it makes me itch for coming back when it's time.

Because yeah, editing is draining as hell.
Yeah, I dig it. I usually take a 4-6 week break between drafts, but my pride is getting in the way of my stopping before I'm done with editing. I don't know...there comes a point where you start sacrificing quality for speed and I think I'm there. Is it normal to break in the middle of editing? Saying yes feels so defeatist to me.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Yeah, I dig it. I usually take a 4-6 week break between drafts, but my pride is getting in the way of my stopping before I'm done with editing. I don't know...there comes a point where you start sacrificing quality for speed and I think I'm there. Is it normal to break in the middle of editing? Saying yes feels so defeatist to me.
Hard to call anything about writing "normal." Every time I think I got it down or a routine down, something gets in the way or goes wrong or whatever. For me, it's really a book-by-book basis. But I get where you're coming from. I don't like stopping when I'm in the middle of something. I don't like letting the project win.

It's a case where I'd really just go with my gut if I were you. Which isn't great advice since it just means "I dunno do what makes you happy" but there ya go :P

megachao24

Oct 25, 2017
Newcomer here.

I've been writing a novel for two-and-a-half-years now and I've been interested of getting it published independently online. While this has been in my mind for a while, having recently lost my job I kind of need to start getting around to posting some stuff at this point.

The current plan is get it published as work-in-progress webnovel with a standalone webpage and go off from there. I just got a PayPal account and I do know a few web developers and graphic artists though I'm trying to figure out how to tackle this since I've never done this before.

Some tips and/or other suggestions for different publishing methods would be appreciated.

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
Got an email this morning that a story I recently submitted (REALLY recently, like two days ago) passed the first round and has been passed to the editor for further consideration. The submission window doesn't even close until tomorrow.

Going to be driving myself insane until I hear back, I just know it.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Got an email this morning that a story I recently submitted (REALLY recently, like two days ago) passed the first round and has been passed to the editor for further consideration. The submission window doesn't even close until tomorrow.

That's awesome, man. Fingers crossed for you!

Oct 25, 2017
Newcomer here.

I've been writing a novel for two-and-a-half-years now and I've been interested of getting it published independently online. While this has been in my mind for a while, having recently lost my job I kind of need to start getting around to posting some stuff at this point.

The current plan is get it published as work-in-progress webnovel with a standalone webpage and go off from there. I just got a PayPal account and I do know a few web developers and graphic artists though I'm trying to figure out how to tackle this since I've never done this before.

Some tips and/or other suggestions for different publishing methods would be appreciated.

Neat. I'm assuming it's a serialization, in which case best of luck. I guess the best advice I could give is consistently post it and constantly be trying to advertise it in one form or another. To the former: always good idea to have stuff planned out ahead of time whether it be chapters written ahead of time or even just a basic outline of where you want to go with it. As to the later: I got nothing. I've never done advertising and from what I hear its pretty exhausting.

Oh snap!!! Congrats! Even if you get a rejection getting past first rounds is a pretty big step. Hoping you get in. Out of curiosity is it a challenge story (and if so, which one???) or a side project?

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
Neat. I'm assuming it's a serialization, in which case best of luck. I guess the best advice I could give is consistently post it and constantly be trying to advertise it in one form or another. To the former: always good idea to have stuff planned out ahead of time whether it be chapters written ahead of time or even just a basic outline of where you want to go with it. As to the later: I got nothing. I've never done advertising and from what I hear its pretty exhausting.

Oh snap!!! Congrats! Even if you get a rejection getting past first rounds is a pretty big step. Hoping you get in. Out of curiosity is it a challenge story (and if so, which one???) or a side project?
A challenge one, actually. Submitted the one about building a snowman for a holiday edition of a podcast.

The irony being that I didn't much care for the story at the time and it was a hasty substitute after what I had planned didn't pan out.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Newcomer here.

I also have a webnovel on my blog! that I plan to publish one day! I don't have any tips, but would be interested in seeing where you take your idea.

megachao24

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the advice. And yeah, advertising it is going to be hard but thankfully I found a web developer who knows advertising techniques so that's boon.
I also have a webnovel on my blog! that I plan to publish one day! I don't have any tips, but would be interested in seeing where you take your idea.
Thanks for the support. Best of luck on your webnovel.

Ivy Veritas

Jan 5, 2019
Hi, folks. I'm new to writing fiction and was wondering if anyone could help with some questions that I'm having trouble googling.

1. Can you publish an e-book on Amazon if you've released or are in the process of releasing the chapters for free (as web pages on a website, not as an e-book)? Amazon's rules appear to prevent you from listing a "book" for a lower price than it appears on another "sales channel", but it's a little ambiguous about how broadly it defines those terms. I've seen a bunch of authors do this, but is it actually allowed?

2. Any tips on protecting copyrights for pen names when you're self-publishing?

3. How do people handle registering custom domains for pen names, without posting their real name and contact info in the WHOIS database?

This is my first time posting on this site, but I've been lurking forever. I'm new to this thread, though. I spent the past couple days skimming through it to cut down on the number of questions I needed to post.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Hi, folks. I'm new to writing fiction and was wondering if anyone could help with some questions that I'm having trouble googling.

1. Can you publish an e-book on Amazon if you've released or are in the process of releasing the chapters for free (as web pages on a website, not as an e-book)? Amazon's rules appear to prevent you from listing a "book" for a lower price than it appears on another "sales channel", but it's a little ambiguous about how broadly it defines those terms. I've seen a bunch of authors do this, but is it actually allowed?

2. Any tips on protecting copyrights for pen names when you're self-publishing?

3. How do people handle registering custom domains for pen names, without posting their real name and contact info in the WHOIS database?

This is my first time posting on this site, but I've been lurking forever. I'm new to this thread, though. I spent the past couple days skimming through it to cut down on the number of questions I needed to post.
2. if you are worried about a copyright, instead of just hoping that an automatic copyright will help you can always file for one https://info.legalzoom.com/apply-copyright-20238.html
keep in mind copyrights have a limited scope so you might have to file multiple of them to protect stuff related to your pen name.

3. I would imagine some of the domain sites would let you do it anonymously but it might require some higher fees. not sure on this.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I've slacked a bit on making some changes to a novella that my agent requested, but I'm going to try to fix that over the next few weeks. I already consolidated beta feedback, so I have a pretty good idea of where I want to take it. Other than that, a new novel is just about ready to go on submission, so it's the acquiring editor merry-go-round again for me.

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area

Aaaaaaand rejected. At least they were quick about it. Honestly I think I'd be a hell of a lot more proactive in submitting stuff if so many paying markets didn't disallow simultaneous submissions but also sat on your submission for months on end.

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
Aaaaaaand rejected. At least they were quick about it. Honestly I think I'd be a hell of a lot more proactive in submitting stuff if so many paying markets didn't disallow simultaneous submissions but also sat on your submission for months on end.
Sorry to hear about the rejection--I'm expecting one to come in myself any day now. Did they at least have anything constructive to say?
Also, I hate non-simultaneous places; there are only maybe two or three publications I would even consider nowadays. Such a waste of time.

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
Sorry to hear about the rejection--I'm expecting one to come in myself any day now. Did they at least have anything constructive to say?
Also, I hate non-simultaneous places; there are only maybe two or three publications I would even consider nowadays. Such a waste of time.
It wasn't a form rejection, but it wasn't especially helpful as it basically amounted to "some of us loved it, others didn't."

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
Dang, nothing to do but to turn it around and send it back out I guess. Hope the piece finds a home!