• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I can be one of those guys who writes "x" words a day.
I just want to keep making progress now that I've started another novel.

Almost done my prologue should be about 2k words when it is done. Will try to get a section per week of about 2-3k words.
Would be nice to finish a novel for once instead of consistently bowing out around the 50 page mark.

It would be nice to have some kind of feature where I could shut off my internet and it wouldn't turn back on until I've put in say 1500 words.

Yeah I'm also not a write everyday kind of person. What I do is set up monthly word count goals and I end up doing a few days of long spurts with some smaller ones in between when I have time. That's been working really well for me. And I'm pretty sure there are apps out there that help but restricting your browser for certain time periods so you have to get work done. I think they're more for college kids doing papers but hey I bet it would work just as effective for you if you want.

Oct 26, 2017
I've got Knight's Journal I free for another day, with II and III on $1.99 sales until the end of the month, which will lead right in to the 11th Entry being published either on the 30th or the 1st. I'm editing it now.

Whew.

One. More. Entry.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
When I'm in writing mode, I try to write around 10-15k a week (at around two to three thousand words a day), dependent on whether I'm first drafting, rewriting or revising.

Saying that, I've had a terrible output this year, but then that's the nature of manic depression!

Deleted member 412

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, you guys are making me feel a little bad about my output. Oh well, it is what it is.

I'm writing about 100–150 words per session, which on average lasts for about 2 to 3 hours. 15k a week is just insane to me. Then again, my first draft is very thorough, making a second draft (and often final) fairly effortless.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Man, you guys are making me feel a little bad about my output. Oh well, it is what it is.

It shouldn't make you feel bad: it's not a race. On a good week, I'm writing five-six hours a day, five-six days a week. If I only put out a thousand words after that, I'd be pretty pissed! Similarly, you can't expect someone who can only spare a few hours a week to put out a novel in a month.

Basically, just write what's comfortable for you.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Hey guys,

I am currently in a huge slump. Started a new job in a new country and have not written a word since (4 months!). I just cannot write without my old space and environment. Even my ideas and inspiration feel gone or severely diminished. Any advice on how to deal with loss of motivation/inspiration?

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys,

I am currently in a huge slump. Started a new job in a new country and have not written a word since (4 months!). I just cannot write without my old space and environment. Even my ideas and inspiration feel gone or severely diminished. Any advice on how to deal with loss of motivation/inspiration?
My bet is that It's not the new place; it's the long time you've spent not writing, and there's only one way to beat that: to sit and write. As soon as you start, it will come back to you.

Oct 25, 2017
Mementos
I still haven't done shit with this year's Nano. I just don't know what's wrong with me. I would attempt right now, but I'm in pain and can't find the book so I can write in it. I really hope I didn't lose it. I have no idea where to look since it's been months since I last attempted to write.

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys,

One option is to just force your way through, but another thing that might help would be to spruce up a writing space if you don't already have one. Maybe buy a cheap wooden table and put it in a nice corner by a window or something. Having devoted workspaces usually helps.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Hey guys,

Read through stuff you've written in the past, and try to remember what inspired you to write it.

Vesves

Oct 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey guys,

Have to agree with DD Power, I know it feels impossible to get back into writing when I haven't in awhile. I go through phases at my job where I'm under a lot of pressure, and I have the hardest time coming home and being creative. I go weeks without writing sometimes, and it feels awful. I really think you have to just try to push yourself. If you're working on a longer work, maybe start on something from somewhere later in the story. Write something you've been itching to get to. Write something fun. Some people think that when you're stuck you shouldn't jump ahead, but I really find it is a perfect way to get myself into the mood again. Plus, writing is writing, and I agree with the above that once you start, it will come back to you. Maybe you'll come up with something out of that little scene that will help with where you left off. It might be really hard at first, but you have to try.

I also agree with FlowersisBritish. Spruce up your workspace. Get some items that remind you of the old one, make it comfortable and inviting. I have a hard time writing in certain places as well. People who write in coffee shops? I think they're crazy. But it sounds like missing your old place is a big barrier, and if you can try to make your new space just as inviting and inspiring, I think that will help a bit.

*edited to fix quote reference*

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
Yo. I know I never really contributed much in the previous forum, but hopefully that'll all change today.

I've been working on an insane worldbuild for the past, oh, five or so years. It's been a constantly evolving project, but I've finally begun writing stories within the world--the first of which I began two months ago. Only around 1300 words into it, though, as I've been working on it on and off. I know I should write more, no excuses, no buts. I simply need to focus more.

wtn

Oct 27, 2017
Any Kindle Create user's in here? I've deleted my table of contents after it wasn't picking a chapter, assuming that it would then refresh the document, and now edit->chapter detection only picks up my book title.

As I have over thirty edits in the document compared to my last word document and it is the final proof read/edit before publishing, I don't want to go through the documents side by side to match all the changes if I don't have to.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Valdfellgar

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Ugh had to cancel my writing session for today. Started having major issues with Firefox slowing my whole computer down. I did start putting my big book series I hope to get published one day into outlines for Books 2-6 so I have them and don't have to worry about forgetting some of the more minor details.

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So I do have an unpublished novel with me, around 90,000 words, military science fiction with influences from GITS and Metal Gear
Any experienced editors here? I want an editor to have a once over the whole thing before I publish through Kindle Direct Publishing

I'm in India and the regular publishing industry here sucks so going with self-publish. I am aware of the risks and challenges involved with this

Oct 27, 2017
I've been out of the groove the last two years due to family issues - zero writing due to exhaustion. I'm looking to start fresh in the new year.

I've three novels from NaNo's in various alpha/1st draft states, and I'm finding it difficult to move on to the next stage with them.

- Should I revise? They are typical NaNo's full of crap and word vomit and dead ends.
- Probably better to do a quick read and take notes, then do some planning and re-write?

Any advice from those who have made that leap would be appreciated.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Any advice from those who have made that leap would be appreciated.

If possible, I would clean up them up as much as I thought I could on my own, and then after that, get the help of a few trusted beta writers. If you don't know anyone who's writing acumen you trust to give you good, constructive criticism, then, if the money is available, do some research and have a freelance editor give you what's called a "developmental edit," which is basically just a paid beta read. It means the editor will go over your novel and give you a "big picture" critique, pointing out character/plot/pacing problems, helping you to fix the story, but not offering any hardcore editing, like line copy or line edits.

However, that developmental edit is exactly the same as a good beta reader or two, so I'd definitely try readers who's taste/judgement you trust first before going the professional route. Once that's done, you can make the changes, then do a proper edit to get everything polished, then either self-publish, or start submitting to agents, depending on your goals.

petitmelon

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I told myself I would stop lurking and now I'm lurking because I don't know what to say, so... I guess uhhh Happy writing, everyone! May you fall prey to no blocks!

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
I feel the same way.

Also... I haven't really written since NaNoWriMo.

; >_>

I kinda wish there was multiple months of it. I need constant pushing to get anything written!

Fable

Oct 25, 2017
I've only written one day since I completed Nano, I was hoping to finish my story up this month but I don't see that happening. I'm ridiculously busy, which didn't stop me in November but oh well, I'm also a bit burnt out and depressed. Hopefully I'll get around to it soon, I'd kind of like to have the story professionally edited and do all the bells and whistles for it. Of course that could be part of what's holding me back, it's going to cost money I don't currently have and it's going to take me a while to get it.

Oct 25, 2017
I've only written one day since I completed Nano, I was hoping to finish my story up this month but I don't see that happening. I'm ridiculously busy, which didn't stop me in November but oh well, I'm also a bit burnt out and depressed. Hopefully I'll get around to it soon, I'd kind of like to have the story professionally edited and do all the bells and whistles for it. Of course that could be part of what's holding me back, it's going to cost money I don't currently have and it's going to take me a while to get it.

I have been having this exact problem. I want to be productive, but I dunno the energy just isn't there and everything seems to be miserable now.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
I just published a new short (short) story (1.2k words) called "Through Cold Winter." It's a dark Christmas story that I wrote in the weeks following last year's USA election. Sadly, it's still jammed full of relevant emotions.

On the flip side, I also published a novelette a few months ago called "On the Phone with Goblins." I describe it as Harry Potter meets The Golden Girls. Lots of fun.

As always, thanks for the support, everyone!

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Writing an omniscient story for class (POV assignment). I don't think I've ever written something with so many moving pieces. This stupid thing could literally go on forever.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This idea is great. This book will write itself.
Oh, I'm not so sure about this anymore.
This is literal garbage and nobody should ever read it. What am I doing?

In one, huge, self-perpetuating circle.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love dreams as I got some new ideas for one of my multi series novels which I feel will flesh out some of the characters, it's also nice to see that my brain hasn't forgotten that project despite me taking a detour to hone my writing skills.

That used to me but instead I just decided to embraced it and now I am like "meh so what it's crap now, I can always fix it in the editing process and what doesn't work now can be used later on."

Writing is a learning process and no-one ever truly gets it right on their first go.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017

I guess the important thing is to remember that initial impetus for wanting to tell the story, the idea. I usually find that when I have these doubts, it's not necessarily about the idea itself, but my own doubts about myself, and my ability to actually do justice to the idea. But I find that if I can get back to being excited about the idea again, and not focus so much on whether I'm butchering it, I'm usually able to trudge through and eventually get to the end. And of course, there's always the reminder, you can't fix anything if you don't have something to begin with. So even if what you end up with is not great, at least you can go back in and try to make it great. And then try again on the third draft. Or even the fourth draft. This is definitely not a one-shot deal, you always have a chance to keep tinkering and fixing it, until you finally self-publish, or start submitting to agents. That's the only point of no return.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love dreams as I got some new ideas for one of my multi series novels which I feel will flesh out some of the characters, it's also nice to see that my brain hasn't forgotten that project despite me taking a detour to hone my writing skills.

That used to me but instead I just decided to embraced it and now I am like "meh so what it's crap now, I can always fix it in the editing process and what doesn't work now can be used later on."

Writing is a learning process and no-one ever truly gets it right on their first go.

I guess the important thing is to remember that initial impetus for wanting to tell the story, the idea. I usually find that when I have these doubts, it's not necessarily about the idea itself, but my own doubts about myself, and my ability to actually do justice to the idea. But I find that if I can get back to being excited about the idea again, and not focus so much on whether I'm butchering it, I'm usually able to trudge through and eventually get to the end. And of course, there's always the reminder, you can't fix anything if you don't have something to begin with. So even if what you end up with is not great, at least you can go back in and try to make it great. And then try again on the third draft. Or even the fourth draft. This is definitely not a one-shot deal, you always have a chance to keep tinkering and fixing it, until you finally self-publish, or start submitting to agents. That's the only point of no return.

Good stuff! I'm powering through. But it's just one of those things. Some days it feels like my brain is trying to sabotage me, y'know?

But i'm committed to writing it. If it's shit after editing, then at least I did it.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Good stuff! I'm powering through. But it's just one of those things. Some days it feels like my brain is trying to sabotage me, y'know?

Honestly, I don't think you could call yourself a real writer if you're NEVER plagued by doubt about yourself or the work at some point. It means that you care, and also that you're not deluded about your own superiority.

I'm also occasionally surprised by how little I can trust my own judgment sometimes. I've had it both ways, where I'll write something where I feel like I'm on fire, not drunk, not on drugs, but when I look at it later, I find it wasn't that great. Conversely, I'll feel like I'm the worst writer in the world, and the chapter I'm working on is like pulling out teeth with every sentence, but when I read it over later, it seems fine, maybe even good, and I'm not sure why I was thinking "This is the worst," with every word I added. It's weird your internal meters can sometimes be off like that.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I don't think you could call yourself a real writer if you're NEVER plagued by doubt about yourself or the work at some point. It means that you care, and also that you're not deluded about your own superiority.

I'm also occasionally surprised by how little I can trust my own judgment sometimes. I've had it both ways, where I'll write something where I feel like I'm on fire, not drunk, not on drugs, but when I look at it later, I find it wasn't that great. Conversely, I'll feel like I'm the worst writer in the world, and the chapter I'm working on is like pulling out teeth with every sentence, but when I read it over later, it seems fine, maybe even good, and I'm not sure why I was thinking "This is the worst," with every word I added. It's weird your internal meters can sometimes be off like that.
Yeah. It feels better to be in the former, but the latter can be more grounding and useful.

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
Been a rough week in terms of rejections. Three places for three different pieces - I thought for sure I would at least have one acceptance. Up to 31 for the year. Oof.

Deleted member 4532

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I was doing this during the entire Nanowrimo. But yesterday, I wrote down a bunch of ideas that I'm going to flesh out soon

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
This a good time to buy Scrivner with the 20% off or wait? Don't pay attention to how often it goes on sale. Not in any direct rush, been using Docs with outline, chapters and ideas on separate files. Could be nice to have everything in one spot eventually.

Taking my first stab at writing a novel. The writing does not seem to be an issue so far. The outline was a quick 8.5k words and with the first few chapter first drafts done I am around ~20-25k words. The second and further drafts/editing will be the trickier part which is where I think Scrivner will help me out. I do need to plan better though for time management and schedule sometime everyday. Most of the work done, I fly through it in a few days then take weeks off in between.

Fun reading through this thread though!

petitmelon

Oct 25, 2017
Texas

That's how I am too. As long as I feel like I can work with it I'm happy. Editing is my favorite/"fun" part so I'm really only looking for something that feels editable in the first draft.

I know a lot of writers I know hate editing, but man, I just adore it! It's only after editing that I feel the "high" or "satisfaction" of writing.