• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
I started reading that thinking "well, the author isn't wrong", but as I was scrolling I was like "Oh... Dude, pls, stop! Oh my God... OH MY GOD! DUDE, SHUT THE F* UP! How can you be so dumb?!". Imagine having that ego...

I do wish people wouldn't review bomb him, though. He sounds like a total prat, but talk about that or read his book and judge it properly. If he's that much of a windbag I'm sure it'll come through in his writing. It was a very entertaining exchange, though. Kind of like when that author popped on GAF before to defend himself in a thread trashing his book.

EDIT to add: Why is this suddenly popping up now? This book was published in 2012. With the weird dates, maybe it's a joke or someone submitted pretending to be him? It's kind of weird to submit a book from so long ago to be reviewed now, and the puffed up persona when it was published on Create Space (i.e. he self-published).

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
EDIT to add: Why is this suddenly popping up now? This book was published in 2012. With the weird dates, maybe it's a joke or someone submitted pretending to be him? It's kind of weird to submit a book from so long ago to be reviewed now, and the puffed up persona when it was published on Create Space (i.e. he self-published).

Ahhhh when you bring that up, a lot of things make more sense. If you think of it as a troll email it makes a lot of sense. If you think of it as a promotional tool, the rambling and self indulgence feels almost like self-promotion. Why would a random reviewer care about this? Isn't this something you'd post on your own website?? Nothing quite makes for free publicity and marketing than almost meme tier cringe.

But I'm also not one to get into internet conspiracy holes so I'm just gonna enjoy this at face value of some crazy fucker (as I know full well people like this do exist).

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
If it's a market stunt, I fell for that like a sitting duck. :P
I saw that on my Twitter timeline and felt it belonged here as a "don't be that guy" type of message.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I saw that on Twitter earlier, but I can't help wondering if all the notoriety might still boost his sales.

It might boost his sales, but not in any meaningful way, and not in the way he intended. As H. Protagonist said, he's getting review-bombed now on places like Amazon and GoodReads, so he's only getting a signal boost as "That Uppity Mansplainin' Writer Dude," or the "So Bad, It's Bad" book.

I can only think that the guy decided to give his book a sales boost by doing some additional promotion now. The review website he submitted to is current, the whole fiasco only came to light on May 13th. So if it was a marketing stunt, he's definitely a bit of an oddball, if he deliberately went for a malignant Tommy Wiseau approach to his book. Otherwise, I think it's probably just a legitimate backfire on his part, that blew up in his face.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, first time writer here..I know this is a personal question, but how do you guys plot out your story? And then decide on the pace? I've been trying to write forever and I can always write starts and middles but I can never seem to complete a story or decide on how to significantly move the plot.
Having your ending down before you start is a good idea - even if you don't know the exact way to get there, you'll at least have a goal in mind when you're writing. I've always known how each of my stories ends before I get far into writing them.

Otherwise there are two schools of writing plot: making it up as you go along and outlining it all in advance. I've had success with both, but if you're struggling with pacing I'd suggest writing a short chapter-by-chapter outline - give each chapter a few short sentences to describe what needs to happen in it, and have every chapter either move the plot forward or introduce a significant obstacle of some kind. This isn't a hard-and-fast rule but it's a good starting point.
Also try to give all of your major characters goals or personal wants of their own. If you're short on ideas at any point you can then fall back on those.

I would add to this that you shouldn't forget that finishing a book is just the first of many steps of actually completing a book.

worrying about pacing is a good thing, but there isn't a reason to be bogged down with worry. Your first draft... it's likely going to suck. Most do. It's fine. Pacing is something I tend to worry about more in editing as it's far easier to see where things are actually dragging or are moving to quickly when I step away and come back and look at it again. (at least it is for me)

As Xagarath said having an ending in mind helps quite a bit. Not even talking about an in depth ending. Even a single sentence of how you want things to end can be fine, you just need some sort of plan to work towards.

As for how I plot my story, I'm far more of a pantser (making it up as I go along) but I do some outlining as well. I've found for pantsing it's very helpful to have well defined characters. Get in their heads, figure out how they would react to a lot of things, and they will kind of guide you to where you want to go (or absolutely go against what you have planned and when you think about it they wouldn't do what they want you to do so you have to scrap your plans and figure out something new >.>)

I have general beats for my story. Motivations of the heros and bad guys, what conflict is going on, how it's going to be resolved, but nothing to much in detail. Every time I try doing detailed planning one of my characters ends up forcing me to throw most of it away lol.
My big thing is I try to write every day, so what I do is I spend my free moments at work, or while playing games ect planning out the current scene in my story. Constantly running it through my head to find a flow that I like. I've literally spent 4 hours at work planning out 50 words before running the exchange of two characters in my head hundreds of times as I tried to decide how I wanted to go with a scene.

Also, don't forget that while writing can be fun, it won't always be fun and you have to be willing to write even when you don't really feel like it. The odds that you will enjoy every step of writing something are almost zero. Just keep at it even if you think what you are writing sucks. There's almost always potential to make a garbage story good in later drafts and editing, but you can't do later drafts and editing if you don't write the story to start with.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I will give details to my upcoming novel that I will do for November(since Nano and all), but I'll just say this: It'll be the biggest novel I will ever do in this decade and a nice way to end the 2010s.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I will give details to my upcoming novel that I will do for November(since Nano and all), but I'll just say this: It'll be the biggest novel I will ever do in this decade and a nice way to end the 2010s.
my longest (not edited) is either 222,492 if I don't split it into two books
or 214,797 (which this one isn't designed in a way that can be split so it will stay that way) (both of these are part of my main project so It's not like I'm trying to get them published at that length as a new series)

so I doubt my current one will exceed either, but we will see... I have a lot going on right now.

I do wish you luck though :)

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
or 214,797 (which this one isn't designed in a way that can be split so it will stay that way) (both of these are part of my main project so It's not like I'm trying to get them published at that length as a new series)

so I doubt my current one will exceed either, but we will see... I have a lot going on right now.

Wow, that is crazy man!=O You really are insane after all!

But yeah, it'll be so big that there will still be more words to add even after the 50k goal is reached. I'll be surprised if I can get to the finale at all.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that is crazy man!=O You really are insane after all!

But yeah, it'll be so big that there will still be more words to add even after the 50k goal is reached. I'll be surprised if I can get to the finale at all.
yeah... I'm rather crazy.
if I didn't break my story into books I would be at 874,773 words at this moment >.>
I think I'm around 35-40% done with the story I want to tell #_#

don't do this... it's moronic to write stories this big....

*continues working on the current chapter*

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017

Holy crap. You got me beat. The longest thing I ever wrote was 220K. It actually managed to get me represented by an agent years ago, but then sat with a publisher for three years before they finally said "No" to it.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap. You got me beat. The longest thing I ever wrote was 220K. It actually managed to get me represented by an agent years ago, but then sat with a publisher for three years before they finally said "No" to it.
ideally if I ever get an agent/publisher I won't have to worry about it being turned down.
the first book of my series is around 75k (though it might get a bit longer with the next draft despite removing a chapter as some things need to be expanded a bit for later parts of the overall story)

This is what I get for being inspired by Japanese Shounen series that have a long overarching plot and a number of arcs, and trying to blend together that with other influences such as american comics and sci fi stories lol.

the kicker is I have the next like 4 books already outlined, just have to get through them all lol.

I really need to get around to editing my side story... uh... alt setting story... what ever you would call a story set in the same world, likely at the same time, just in a different location that doesn't have any idea the other exists because one is in europe effectively and the other the USA effectively and the people in europe don't know about the americas at all and the people in the USA don't know about anything but the americas lol.

for now though most of my time is just dedicated to getting the full rough draft done, as I don't have any plans to even try getting this thing published until I'm done with the whole thing. I want a complete story more than I want to be published anywhere.

Dean Klein's amazing ability to get his magnificent 2012 book reviewed in 2019 rekindled some motivation to get more reviews for my own old book (in prep for the sequel's release, at least), so I followed his example and talked to Sci-Fi & Scary and a few other horror sites, and it looks like I've got a shot at a review in June now. I can't wait to be eviscerated. Official reviews are scary stuff.

Ahhhh when you bring that up, a lot of things make more sense. If you think of it as a troll email it makes a lot of sense. If you think of it as a promotional tool, the rambling and self indulgence feels almost like self-promotion. Why would a random reviewer care about this? Isn't this something you'd post on your own website?? Nothing quite makes for free publicity and marketing than almost meme tier cringe.

But I'm also not one to get into internet conspiracy holes so I'm just gonna enjoy this at face value of some crazy fucker (as I know full well people like this do exist).

I mean, I did see another Twitter account saying they had emails from him too, so maybe he's legit? It just seemed strange to go with an older book when he has newer ones out, and to claim all that Hollywood stuff when he didn't even manage an agent/publisher to put his books out (presumably). Like you, I'm enjoying it all just at face value too. People be delightfully crazy.

If it's a market stunt, I fell for that like a sitting duck. :P
I saw that on my Twitter timeline and felt it belonged here as a "don't be that guy" type of message.

Maybe he IS the genius he claims to be.

It might boost his sales, but not in any meaningful way, and not in the way he intended. As H. Protagonist said, he's getting review-bombed now on places like Amazon and GoodReads, so he's only getting a signal boost as "That Uppity Mansplainin' Writer Dude," or the "So Bad, It's Bad" book.

I can only think that the guy decided to give his book a sales boost by doing some additional promotion now. The review website he submitted to is current, the whole fiasco only came to light on May 13th. So if it was a marketing stunt, he's definitely a bit of an oddball, if he deliberately went for a malignant Tommy Wiseau approach to his book. Otherwise, I think it's probably just a legitimate backfire on his part, that blew up in his face.

Yeah, just briefly looking on Amazon after it all came out, it doesn't seem like he's sold any (his Seller Rank hasn't moved) but has many new bad reviews. I do love that a new copy of his book is selling for $135.99, though.

:O

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I did see another Twitter account saying they had emails from him too, so maybe he's legit? It just seemed strange to go with an older book when he has newer ones out, and to claim all that Hollywood stuff when he didn't even manage an agent/publisher to put his books out (presumably). Like you, I'm enjoying it all just at face value too. People be delightfully crazy.
I've seen a self-published author straight up lie about having a movie deal with Netflix, so who knows what to believe anymore. Some people are shameless and/or nuts.

Meanwhile I'm embarrassed to even mention my book. 💀

I've seen a self-published author straight up lie about having a movie deal with Netflix, so who knows what to believe anymore. Some people are shameless and/or nuts.

Meanwhile I'm embarrassed to even mention my book. 💀

True! I've known people like that too. And don't be embarrassed. Or rather, be embarrassed with us! I'm pretty sure 96% of us are mortified (and still slightly proud all the same) of what we've produced, and especially embarrassed to promote/shill it. So please share your book! I think ours are (or will?) linked on the front page of the OT. They're out in the open, at any rate. :)

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Is that like a special page of posts...? A post? I'm old, weemadarthur. Hold me.

Just look for a button on the top and bottom right of the page called "Threadmarks," and click on it.

It's a way for the thread creator to highlight specific posts so that everyone can quickly refer to them. As far as I can tell, you don't have your books threadmarked, so just create a new post now, with link. I'd be super curious to check it out if it's a horror/comedy.

OP
OP
weemadarthur

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Is that like a special page of posts...? A post? I'm old, weemadarthur. Hold me.

EDIT: I have now seen the button. I never really noticed it before. Tell me some more of your dark magic.
Don't worry, you're not that out-of-date. It came along with the 2.0 site upgrade.

Also I MEANT to put links in the OP but nobody ever PMed me their author page or what-have-you and I didn't feel right copypastaing from gaf. In case authors had moved on or got a new pseudonym or sommit.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017

It amazes me that people think "No one's going to check on this, so I can lie and it'll be fine." The industry is tiny. EVERYONE checks.

Like, every time a writer tries to accelerate the representation process by lying about getting an offer and then informing all the other agents queried to, "You've got two weeks to counter-offer on my future best-seller!" I see a thread pop on Twitter with all the agents saying, "Oh! I got that email too!" and then it quickly comes out that it's just a scam.

This isn't the 1890s, where, as a snake oil salesman, you can get back into a "safe zone" by hopping over three states so that your rep hasn't caught up with you. I don't know why people don't understand this.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
True! I've known people like that too. And don't be embarrassed. Or rather, be embarrassed with us! I'm pretty sure 96% of us are mortified (and still slightly proud all the same) of what we've produced, and especially embarrassed to promote/shill it. So please share your book! I think ours are (or will?) linked on the front page of the OT. They're out in the open, at any rate. :)
aside from this thread and people on the discord only a handful of people know I write at all... and none of them know I write more than Nanowrimo :P

Oct 27, 2017
It amazes me that people think "No one's going to check on this, so I can lie and it'll be fine." The industry is tiny. EVERYONE checks.

Like, every time a writer tries to accelerate the representation process by lying about getting an offer and then informing all the other agents queried to, "You've got two weeks to counter-offer on my future best-seller!" I see a thread pop on Twitter with all the agents saying, "Oh! I got that email too!" and then it quickly comes out that it's just a scam.

This isn't the 1890s, where, as a snake oil salesman, you can get back into a "safe zone" by hopping over three states so that your rep hasn't caught up with you. I don't know why people don't understand this.
Yeah, this happened literally right after I had nudged a bunch of agents with an offer. Haha, I almost died.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this happened literally right after I had nudged a bunch of agents with an offer. Haha, I almost died.

I think this is actually one of the reasons why representation etiquette has changed, and now more and more agents don't have any issues with just flat out ASKING, "Who made the offer?"

When I sent out my notice of offer to agents, a couple of them took the "trust, but verify" approach, and did ask me who it was, then confirmed with offering agent that I wasn't making something up. It used to be that that sort of thing was a little rude/taboo, because, of course, "Who would make up such a thing?"

But these days the answer is, "A few people, on a depressingly regular basis."

Oct 25, 2017
i never know how to cope when i see people just random unsubscribe from my ongoing stories, even when I suddenly get new subscribers and tons of hits and likes. The struggles of posting on going writing online :(

Just look for a button on the top and bottom right of the page called "Threadmarks," and click on it.

It's a way for the thread creator to highlight specific posts so that everyone can quickly refer to them. As far as I can tell, you don't have your books threadmarked, so just create a new post now, with link. I'd be super curious to check it out if it's a horror/comedy.

Thanks! I never really noticed it before, but I'm a bit of a Luddite at heart. Bells and whistles are mostly lost on me.

And I will definitely do a post now with my stuff! Hoping to add some more to it this year, but I'll throw up what I have. Maybe it'll be up your alley. :)

Don't worry, you're not that out-of-date. It came along with the 2.0 site upgrade.

Also I MEANT to put links in the OP but nobody ever PMed me their author page or what-have-you and I didn't feel right copypastaing from gaf. In case authors had moved on or got a new pseudonym or sommit.

Haha. Well, good to know I'm not 100% oblivious. For the author links and stuff, let me check my folders. I think I still have all the notes from last OT. If they're not totally out of date, I could send you those if you wanted.

aside from this thread and people on the discord only a handful of people know I write at all... and none of them know I write more than Nanowrimo :P

You're a machine, zulu. A goddamned machine. :D

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England

Would it be okay if we sent you links now after-the-fact, or would you rather stick with the threadmarks?

H Protagonist’s Published Works list
Here's my current list of works:

Dead Endings - Novel w/ art
Writer/Artist - Jessica Chavez/Irene Flores
Genre: Mystery/Paranormal Thriller
Publisher: Chromatic Press Inc.
Print / Digital
Goodreads

2GoSxOv.jpg
6RDS2Kw.png

Dead Leads (sequel to Dead Endings) - Novel
Digital (currently serialized in Sparkler Magazine)

zsto3kd.jpg
tFymutr.png

Pancakes & Sex - Comic
Writer/Artist - Jessica Chavez/Crystal Jayme
Genre: Comedy
Print - Print bonus in the Dead Endings physical edition

3TQn7Lz.jpg

Last edited:

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017

Print / Digital
Goodreads

2GoSxOv.jpg
6RDS2Kw.png

zsto3kd.jpg
tFymutr.png

Pancakes & Sex - Comic

3TQn7Lz.jpg

Well, I'm impressed. All I've got is some cranky cyberpunk half-Irish, half-Filipino woman hurling fireballs, and that's not even out until next summer.

Well, I'm impressed. All I've got is some cranky cyberpunk half-Irish, half-Filipino woman hurling fireballs, and that's not even out until next summer.

I dunno. A book deal with the publisher who's putting out the UK version of the freakin' Goblin Emperor sounds pretty good to me! And as a half-Irish/half-Mexican woman who likes cyber punk/fantasy, it's very relevant to my interests. It's a very Gibson-esque plot too (virtual reality superstars, AI constructs targeting each other hiring mercenaries, console jockeys, corporations, etc.), a favorite of mine. Were you inspired by Neuromancer/Idoru, etc.?

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England

Print / Digital
Goodreads

2GoSxOv.jpg
6RDS2Kw.png

zsto3kd.jpg
tFymutr.png

Pancakes & Sex - Comic

3TQn7Lz.jpg
Love the art in this one! I'm outside the US so can't easily order from the publisher, but I'll look at getting a copy on Amazon.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno. A book deal with the publisher who's putting out the UK version of the freakin' Goblin Emperor sounds pretty good to me! And as a half-Irish/half-Mexican woman who likes cyber punk/fantasy, it's very relevant to my interests. It's a very Gibson-esque plot too (virtual reality superstars, AI constructs targeting each other hiring mercenaries, console jockeys, corporations, etc.), a favorite of mine. Were you inspired by Neuromancer/Idoru, etc.?

I feel a bit guilty now, because you're not the only one that's mentioned the Goblin Emperor, and I have no idea what this is, so I should probably read it.

As far as the Gibson stuff goes, yeah, absolutely, he's one of the reasons I became a writer in the first place. The elevator pitch for the novel was "It's Neuromancer. With magic missiles," and I've always loved the classic cyberpunk setting. This book is basically my more focused version of "Shadowrun," where I stripped out all the Elf/Dwarf/Orc/Magical Creatures are back stuff, and stuck strictly with magic, and how that would affect the politics and economic models of an established cyberpunk setting.

Basically, I wanted to see how greedy, modernized mega-corps would fight it out if they also had to compete with individuals that had mastered alchemy and weather control, and also realized they could make a buck out of that. So, part of it is messing with the ways modern mass production competes with artisans who can do something no machine, assembly line, or algorithm can. Just with cyborgs and combat mages thrown into the mix.

Love the art in this one! I'm outside the US so can't easily order from the publisher, but I'll look at getting a copy on Amazon.

Thanks, Xagarath! <3 I just checked out Amazon UK and they do have the print version (includes the comic). I hadn't actually know they'd added the physical version to Amazon! I've been a bit out of the loop since baby #2, so this is doubly good news. Gives me an excuse to post it on my media to get it warmed up again before the big review that's possibly coming. Thanks so much.

And I could always use more horror on my Kindle as well, so should I go for a Stickman or a Lamp? :3

I feel a bit guilty now, because you're not the only one that's mentioned the Goblin Emperor, and I have no idea what this is, so I should probably read it.

As far as the Gibson stuff goes, yeah, absolutely, he's one of the reasons I became a writer in the first place. The elevator pitch for the novel was "It's Neuromancer. With magic missiles," and I've always loved the classic cyberpunk setting. This book is basically my more focused version of "Shadowrun," where I stripped out all the Elf/Dwarf/Orc/Magical Creatures are back stuff, and stuck strictly with magic, and how that would affect the politics and economic models of an established cyberpunk setting.

Basically, I wanted to see how greedy, modernized mega-corps would fight it out if they also had to compete with individuals that had mastered alchemy and weather control, and also realized they could make a buck out of that. So, part of it is messing with the ways modern mass production competes with artisans who can do something no machine, assembly line, or algorithm can. Just with cyborgs and combat mages thrown into the mix.

Sounds like my kind of book! I loved Shadowrun as a kid too. I even had the Paranormal Animals of North America guide. Be sure to post progress stuff here so that we know when it comes out. I want to see the cover!

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
Thanks, Xagarath! <3 I just checked out Amazon UK and they do have the print version (includes the comic). I hadn't actually know they'd added the physical version to Amazon! I've been a bit out of the loop since baby #2, so this is doubly good news. Gives me an excuse to post it on my media to get it warmed up again before the big review that's possibly coming. Thanks so much.

And I could always use more horror on my Kindle as well, so should I go for a Stickman or a Lamp? :3
No problem, and thank you as well! Looking forward to reading it.

Stickman's definitely the book of the two I'm happier with (it also took far longer to write), so I'd recommend that one?

Last edited:
No problem, and thank you as well! Looking forward to reading it.

Stickman's definitely the book of the two I'm happier with (it also took far longer to write), so I'd recommend that one?

Same! It looks appropriately creepy. I'll need a good rainy night for this one, I think.

ydJY6wa.jpg

Oh damn. That`s after my time, I guess. I only ever messed with the first edition rules, I didn`t make it all the way up to third.

Now I feel super old. Haha. I didn't play or anything, though. I just bought some of the periphery stuff because I liked the art/concept a lot. I read a ton of that vein of fantasy/sci-fi as a kid (Mercedes Lackey, etc. Bless her).

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Print / Digital
Goodreads

2GoSxOv.jpg
6RDS2Kw.png

zsto3kd.jpg
tFymutr.png

Pancakes & Sex - Comic

3TQn7Lz.jpg
Neat, I just finished reading a few novels so a new graphic novel is something I need at the moment.

Neat, I just finished reading a few novels so a new graphic novel is something I need at the moment.

Aww, I'm so glad it's caught your eye! Irene is an amazing artist and I love her interpretation of the characters. Her illustrations really make it stand out. I have to clarify it's mostly novel with per chapter illustrations, though. She did some bonus art for it in addition to the chapter art ( which is in the release as well) but it's more light novel with art rather than full on graphic novel. The physical version does have the comic in it, though!

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aww, I'm so glad it's caught your eye! Irene is an amazing artist and I love her interpretation of the characters. Her illustrations really make it stand out. I have to clarify it's mostly novel with per chapter illustrations, though. She did some bonus art for it in addition to the chapter art ( which is in the release as well) but it's more light novel with art rather than full on graphic novel. The physical version does have the comic in it, though!
That's fine by me. I'll get to reading it this weekend!

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
And I'll need the same for this now it's finally arrived!
2rco6r8.jpg

I have samples of both your novel and H.Protagonist 's book on Kindle, but I have some other books, including my local SF book club title to get through.

Be sure to post progress stuff here so that we know when it comes out. I want to see the cover!

I just got email today with some preliminary concepts and I totally freaked out. It feels like My First Fanart, just because it's clear even as a rough someone read the book and actually got details like hairstyles and cybernetic implant weaponry right.

Oct 27, 2017
I have samples of both your novel and H.Protagonist 's book on Kindle, but I have some other books, including my local SF book club title to get through.

I just got email today with some preliminary concepts and I totally freaked out. It feels like My First Fanart, just because it's clear even as a rough someone read the book and actually got details like hairstyles and cybernetic implant weaponry right.
Oh jeez. I read this and thought you meant it was so bad it was like the artist's first fan art. Whew. I was all prepared to share anecdotes of people who hated their covers.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Oh jeez. I read this and thought you meant it was so bad it was like the artist's first fan art. Whew. I was all prepared to share anecdotes of people who hated their covers.

Nah, we're not at that stage yet, absolutely nothing is finished, it's all just rough concepts for ideas and positioning. There's talk that they might not even go with something that has human figures in it, and go with something more cyberspace-y, like a new book that's coming out next year that's ALSO a cyberpunk novel:

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
Thank you! Looking forward to hearing more about your book as well. Cyberpunk seems to have had a bit of a renaissance lately (I've liked Laura Lam and Emma Newman's takes on it), so yours seems like it's coming at a pretty good time?

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you! Looking forward to hearing more about your book as well. Cyberpunk seems to have had a bit of a renaissance lately (I've liked Laura Lam and Emma Newman's takes on it), so yours seems like it's coming at a pretty good time?

I guess we'll see. When it was on submission to editors, a LOT of them were actually saying stuff like, "Cyberpunk? NOW? This is kind of dated at this point, you sure you want to go with this?"

But maybe since then, the tide has turned. I'm sorry to say I had no idea who either Laura Lam or Emma Newman was until you mentioned them, so I just looked them up, then sent samples of Shattered Minds and After Atlas to my Kindle now as well.

That's fine by me. I'll get to reading it this weekend!

You really know how to make a girl's day. <3 Thank you so much! Would love to know what you think when you get around to it.

And I'll need the same for this now it's finally arrived!
2rco6r8.jpg

Wow! Super fast! Thanks again, Xagarath! We'll have to compare notes when we're done.

Edit to add: I saw your interview on Gingernuts of Horror! That's one of the places I just put in to for a review. I had no idea you'd worked on Stickman for that long. Impressive.

Awesome! Cheers for checking it out. Can't wait to see yours as well when the big day comes. For the cover concepts, that's great. I've heard/seen a lot of examples of cover art barely relating to the book, so I always wondered if they read it first or if the publisher just sent details for what they wanted. Irene's been with me since chapter one, so I wasn't worried about mine, but fingers crossed for you getting a good representative work. Sounds like they're on the right track, though. How exciting!

Figure this is as good a place to ask as any, but she's anyone have a recommendation on an artist who can put together some maps for the front matter of a book?

https://www.reddit.com/r/HungryArtists/

^r/HungryArtists is a great place to find/match with an artist. They post examples and (sometimes) their rates, so it's a lot easier than scouring the net. I got a commission from there.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
My writing has been kinda needlessly wordy lately, but I've been really digging the words I've been putting down though. Hoping to keep the good vibes going all week as I try to write every day for the rest of the month (and also write 10k but that's for something else).