• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
uncreative responses:

Nano! Nano! Why hast thou abandoned me?

Namo. Mano. Vamonos!

Nano. Purple language allowed. Thanos-Darkseid novel-length erotic fanfiction, oh my!

Hey! Hey you! Listen, was I supposed to do something this month? I can nano-member.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm leaning towards "When in doubt, use Nanomachines" though thinking maybe "write in" instead of "use" Either way, thats probs my favorite.

Oct 25, 2017
Listen, i have been listening to a lot of Metal Gear Rising music lately and I would love to make the joke if I thought more people got it, but i'm not that confident.

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018
This giveaway has unfortunately been cancelled.

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 5 gifts from zulux21 zulux21!

This is a three-day raffle that will expire in 72 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

zulux21 said:
I think these keys work, but I can't grantee it. Either way what better way to increase writing productivity than distract you with games. MWA HA HA HA HA.

Also you are going to need at least 5 posts to join this. So if you don't have that, perhaps discuss writing in the thread :P

These are our awesome prizes:

OP
OP
weemadarthur

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if i already own edna and harvey.....not gonna enter until after reading my steam library lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Linking this little game we over on the discord have been having too much fun with.

https://iwl.me/

I put in over a dozen stories and all of them tell me I write like Agatha Christie which is a weird pick I would never have said myself.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I also ended up with Agatha Christie through three different novel openings. I have no idea how the algorithm arrived at that when almost all of them involved a supernatural, magical or high tech explosion of some kind.

Oct 25, 2017
Agatha Christie here. Then the next chapter got me Anne Rice. A poem got me Jonathan swift. A couple paragraphs from one chapter got me Dan Brown. One paragraph from those couple got me Dan Brown, another got me Stephen King. Fun tool.

Ivy Veritas

Jan 5, 2019
I accidentally posted this in the NaNo thread earlier. I'll go ahead and copy it here, so if there any replies, they can go in the right spot.

Does anyone have any experience hiring an illustrator that can produce a professional-quality illustration for a book cover? (Whether the work included the actual cover or just the illustration?)

I've looked at a dozen pre-made cover sites, and some of them are pretty good in certain genres (like romance), but I've seen virtually no pre-mades that are good for high fantasy, and for the few that exist, they don't match my story at all. When a site sells pre-mades for fantasy, it's mostly only urban fantasy.

When looking at custom covers instead, the pricing is always for using stock images, and I'm not sure that's going to work for fantasy, either. And the decent designers charge $500 or more just for a good-looking custom cover made from stock images, without including any custom illustration.

I'm trying to figure out if there's any way a (good) custom illustration could fall within my budget. All the artists I find myself liking on artstation tend to either work for real companies or do freelance work for real companies, so I've been too nervous to ask them what their prices are.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
I'm trying to figure out if there's any way a (good) custom illustration could fall within my budget. All the artists I find myself liking on artstation tend to either work for real companies or do freelance work for real companies, so I've been too nervous to ask them what their prices are.
Just ask dude. I know it seems daunting, but open with "I got a book, I need a cover. Could you give me a quote?" If they're freelance, they'll 100% appreciate you asking because that's who they make their money. If they come in out of budget, simply apologize and move on.

Oct 25, 2017
Just ask dude. I know it seems daunting, but open with "I got a book, I need a cover. Could you give me a quote?" If they're freelance, they'll 100% appreciate you asking because that's who they make their money. If they come in out of budget, simply apologize and move on.

This. Be nice and respectful. This isn't a fleamarket and its not a place for haggling. Artists take no offense to not being in someone's budget, but do take offense when you try and talk them down what is an already carefully considered price on their part.

One of my personal essays got published recently. It's videogame-related as well!
Longest thing I've ever gotten published at ~4,000 words. I tend to write short.

Oh snap congrats again! You're building yourself up a good bibliography!

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I accidentally posted this in the NaNo thread earlier. I'll go ahead and copy it here, so if there any replies, they can go in the right spot.

Does anyone have any experience hiring an illustrator that can produce a professional-quality illustration for a book cover? (Whether the work included the actual cover or just the illustration?)

I'm married to an illustrator, so I've seen how it works from the other side. If you're looking at established illustrators, they'll either be pretty busy with jobs already lined up, or you're interested, you need to go through their agent. The established illustrators may also be pretty comprehensive about making sure everything is laid out in the contract, especially when it comes to rights. Like if you're All Rights to an image, they'll charge a lot more for that to make up for the fact that they can never access that artwork again themselves.

If you don't want to go the route of an established illustrator, looking at websites like Artstation, as you've already done, or even Deviant Art back in the day can show you some promising up and coming talent that's always willing to take commissions and won't be such sticklers for contractual details or premium pricing. But as others have said, in general, yeah, if an artist quotes you a price, trying to talk that price down, especially for a busy artist, is more likely to have the artist pass up the job than be willing to haggle.

Ivy Veritas

Jan 5, 2019
But as others have said, in general, yeah, if an artist quotes you a price, trying to talk that price down, especially for a busy artist, is more likely to have the artist pass up the job than be willing to haggle.

Oh, don't worry, I wouldn't try haggling. I'm just worried that the artists that I like are out of my price range.

On the good news side, I've been able to bump in and out of Top Web Fiction's front page for the last few weeks. Unfortunately, votes expire after 7 days, and most people don't think about renewing them. I told my biggest batch of readers about the vote exactly 7 days ago, so those votes just started expiring. But, I made it up to spot #20 on the page at my highest point, so that was pretty cool.

I'm trending down now as the votes expire, but there'll probably be enough people to renew their votes to keep me on the fantasy-only page, just not the front page.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What do you do when an idea that strikes you ends up being too cliche, and every time you try to develop it you stumble into more of them?

It's intended as a Portal Fantasy story, where the characters end up in a sort of gothic fantasy world of fairy tales. I'm trying to write something that's kind of supposed to be a low stake first timer kind of thing.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
What do you do when an idea that strikes you ends up being too cliche, and every time you try to develop it you stumble into more of them?

It's intended as a Portal Fantasy story, where the characters end up in a sort of gothic fantasy world of fairy tales. I'm trying to write something that's kind of supposed to be a low stake first timer kind of thing.
There's nothing wrong with having cliches as long as you can make them work. They are cliches for a reason

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing wrong with having cliches as long as you can make them work. They are cliches for a reason

I suppose. It's not like I'm writing the next Harry Potter or something. I guess I'm worried about the validity of telling a story, even if it's just for myself, that feels unoriginal.

I've been "developing" ideas for so long that I've barely done any real writing.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose. It's not like I'm writing the next Harry Potter or something. I guess I'm worried about the validity of telling a story, even if it's just for myself, that feels unoriginal.

I've been "developing" ideas for so long that I've barely done any real writing.
I personally wouldn't worry about it and just focus on getting a rough draft done. See if the ideas work when you actually write them out and see if in the moment you come up with a different way to do something that you like better. Your first draft will suck likely have ideas that won't work and have parts that aren't enjoyable. It's just how the process works and why most people have a number of drafts and lots of editing passes to make a good story.

It's easy to feel like everything has been done before. But well a lot of people search out things that sound similar to what they like. What is important is that your story isn't a direct copy of something and has something that is a bit different even if all the major themes are the same if that makes sense.

I'd write more but I'm at work and on my phone which makes it a pain to write lol.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I personally wouldn't worry about it and just focus on getting a rough draft done. See if the ideas work when you actually write them out and see if in the moment you come up with a different way to do something that you like better. Your first draft will suck likely have ideas that won't work and have parts that aren't enjoyable. It's just how the process works and why most people have a number of drafts and lots of editing passes to make a good story.

It's easy to feel like everything has been done before. But well a lot of people search out things that sound similar to what they like. What is important is that your story isn't a direct copy of something and has something that is a bit different even if all the major themes are the same if that makes sense.

I'd write more but I'm at work and on my phone which makes it a pain to write lol.

You've been a great help.

I want to participate in NaNo this year and I think I'll do this story. Get it out of my system and prove I can write something longform.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
You've been a great help.

I want to participate in NaNo this year and I think I'll do this story. Get it out of my system and prove I can write something longform.
If you can find the time i would spend this month writing a 100-200 word story a day ,or longer if you are in a groove, of your characters doing random things. I find doing such things builds the character and makes them easier to write and it will get you used to writing everyday which should make nano easier.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you can find the time i would spend this month writing a 100-200 word story a day ,or longer if you are in a groove, of your characters doing random things. I find doing such things builds the character and makes them easier to write and it will get you used to writing everyday which should make nano easier.

That could work. I haven't even defined the lead character that much, plus there's plenty of time till NaNo to flesh this out.